A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

My thoughts on learning medical billing and coding - Hoping for a while anyway

Posted: Nov 09, 2011

After seeing the writing on the fall for MTs, I started school 1 year ago.  I am currently in an online associates degree program.  I am an on-the-job trained MT.  I also earned my CMT through a lot of self study and I work hard to keep that CMT credential (no bashing.  Needed it at the time for the job I had).  My college program is currently business administration with a completion in medical billing and coding.  I already know that to get a coding certification I will have to take an AHIMA approved coding course because the classes I'm in will not provide the necessary training, just an introduction, but I wanted the college degree.  I was going to take heathcare administration for the bachelors, but I changed my mind and decided to go with human resources.  My reasoning is

1.  Even with entry-level medical billing and coding, it most likely will become completely computerized with the codes generated automatically by the diagnoses entered into the EMR.  Coding will most likely become extinct, just like MT. 

2.  The billing and coding/MT professions might get me another couple of years of a job but I am not even sure about that.  I know that school will take me at least another 2 years to completely get it. 

3.  I didn't want to restrict myself to only being involved with healthcare businesses. 

4.  By going to business school and taking human resource classes, I see myself able to work at any type of business or industry.  I'm too old to go to law school (52).  I don't like dealing with bodily fluids and not much patience, so nursing is definitely out.  However, I am also considering court reporting and even paralegal.  I was thinking maybe if I could get training as a paralegal I could even do legal transcription.  Because let's face it, courts will always be around! 

All of this to say I am studying hard and trying to broaden my horizons and give myself options.  Right now I feel stuck, but I also know that to dig yourself out of a hole you have to first stick the shovel in the dirt.  What really got me thinking was talking with my niece one day and she reminded me of something. When she was small we were planting flowers in the hard.  I would dig the hole and she was filling it up before I could get the flower placed.  I remembered asking her why she did that. She told me "the hole will close in if you get deeper, so I'm helping you out".  When I talked with her the other day we were talking about the problems with transcribing and my current financial problems, school, etc., and she reminded me of that.  She told me Aunt *** you can't dig yourself in deeper.  It's time to start filling in that hole with something else, otherwise it will collapse in on top of you.

I'm proud of myself for taking steps to get out of the holes.  I proud of myself for having the guts to even try school at my age (never been to college and it is tough), but most of all I am proud of her for her wisdom and courage to tell me what she thinks.  She is my inspiration to keep going, even as hard as it has been this last year.  BTW, she is a college freshman majoring in childhood education.  She will be a fantastic teacher.

oops. excuse the typos. forgot to proof before sending. - Just me again

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

What odd timing (in a good way for me) - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
I just now came to the forum to ask opinions on which sounds better: Coding school or a medical office administration program at a community college. I am in the process now of budgeting for school and paring down my course options, so thank you for your timely post and sharing your niece's insight. At 48 and no one to help support me, going back to school is terrifying, but it is time to at least try "to get out of the holes." I was leaning slightly towards the admin course, which includes an intro to coding, so your post has given me more to think about.

Not very good advice - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Please seek accurate advice about coding as a career choice. Do not take advice from people who are not currently working successfully in the field. The assumptions the OP makes about coding are not based in fact. They have been corrected here before but that person continues to post her mistaken views. She is not a coder and is not even taking a legitimate coding course, so she cannot know what coding is like or the future of it.

Coding will be around a lot longer. Anyone who does not believe this does not know enough to be giving advice.

The OP believes that she will need an AHIMA approved course in order to code and that it will take 2 years. There is no such requirement. You do not need a course at all and you can learn enough in just several months to a year. People do this every day.

She also believes that legal transcription will be a viable field. Why? It is actually easier to do it using VR. It has been dying longer than MT.

Here is the advice I give people who are not making enough from MT. If you need money and a stable job fast, learn to code pronto so you can get a job. THEN get a degree if you want to. Do not whine anout how broke you are if you can afford to dither around in pointless degree programs for years on end.

Check the salary surveys in coding. They show that salaries begin where business admin tops out. To me, the direction is clear from that.

No coders care if software can put a code to the diagnosis in an EHR because that is not the job! The OP just has not learned enough to realize it.

Please do not be misled by the OP's advice. If you take it, you will find yourself gong around in the same kind of vague circles without realizing that they are not goal-focused.

We can dig all over the garden forever, but if you need to eat, plant potatoes and beans before you plant flowers.

I am the OP - Cindy

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never posted on this board about coding. Had you carefully read my post, you would have seen that I am in school to get a degree, and the coding course is 1 class. I have coded before. I know how to use ICD-9 and CPT coding. I have never coding using a computerized program and I never gave any assumptions or false facts that I did. I am in school to earn a college degree in business. I will be taking additional coding courses so that I can become CERTIFIED CODER, where the potential job marked is better. Yes, you can code without the degree. You can code in doctor's offices, small hospitals, etc but if you want do advance any further, you need a thorough coding education. I have talked to the coders at the hospital where I work part-time. I have talked to others who went to school and others who did not and credentialed coders do better long-term than that those who are not. I know that not every employer requires a coding credential just as not every employer requires the CMT. I also did not state that coding would be gone in a couple of years, but just like other careers, some places it will have less job opportunity than others.

As far as the planting flowers, I am not planting flowers now instead of planting vegetables. I was talking about planting a flowerbed with a YOUNG CHILD. Had you read my post before you got your panties in a wad you would have seen that.

I will be seeking my education in my way. I have dreams and goals. I know what I am doing and I did not step off into anything lightly. Had I been given the opportunity, I could begin to code at a hospital now with just some refresher information. But I live in a very rural area in a town of less than 10,000 and there are co coding jobs around here, just like there are no MT jobs here. I did not say coding was going away any time soon. I said hopefully it would get me through to the age where I can retire. I stand by what I am doing to further my education. A little bit of education never hurt anybody, and I am not "dithering around in pointless degree programs". I am working 2 jobs and going to school so I can better myself.

And, by the way, the post was not in anyway a response to someone else's post. It was just my thoughts on the way things are going. If you were an MT, you would know that we all had heard "MT isn't going to go anywhere. They will always need us" for a long time. Now look what's happening to the industry. I'm just saying to THINK, because as fast as technology is changing with the medical records field, it is inevitable that changes will happen with coding, also. (Oh by the way- someone I have known for 22 years as a coder lost her job to a coding company because the department outsourced the coding to someone that hires certified coders - so don't get too comfy.

Happily planting flowers to go with my beans and potatoes.
Here is some more information - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
If you read the information carefully, it does say degrees in BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES

I am not just thinking coding. I am opening my options for other careers, not just limiting myself to only working in healthcare.

This information came from the US Department of Labor:

Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement About this section
A master's degree in one of a number of fields is the standard credential for most generalist positions as a medical or healthcare manager. A bachelor's degree is sometimes adequate for entry-level positions in smaller facilities and departments. In physicians' offices and some other facilities, on-the-job experience may substitute for formal education.

Education and training. Medical and health services managers must be familiar with management principles and practices. A master's degree in health services administration, long-term care administration, health sciences, public health, public administration, or business administration is the standard credential for most generalist positions in this field. However, a bachelor's degree is adequate for some entry-level positions in smaller facilities, at the departmental level within healthcare organizations, and in health information management. Physicians' offices and some other facilities hire those with on-the-job experience instead of formal education.

Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs in health administration are offered by colleges; universities; and schools of public health, medicine, allied health, public administration, and business administration. In 2008, according to the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education, there were 72 schools that had accredited programs leading to the master’s degree in health services administration.

For people seeking to become heads of clinical departments, a degree in the appropriate field and work experience may be sufficient early in their career. However, a master's degree in health services administration or a related field might be required to advance. For example, nursing service administrators usually are chosen from among supervisory registered nurses with administrative abilities and graduate degrees in nursing or health services administration.

Health information managers require a bachelor's degree from an accredited program. In 2008, there were 48 accredited bachelor's degree programs and 5 master's degree programs in health information management, according to the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education.

Some graduate programs seek students with undergraduate degrees in business or health administration; however, many graduate programs prefer students with a liberal arts or health profession background. Candidates with previous work experience in healthcare also may have an advantage. Competition for entry into these programs is keen, and applicants need above-average grades to gain admission. Graduate programs usually last between 2 and 3 years. They may include up to 1 year of supervised administrative experience and coursework in areas such as hospital organization and management, marketing, accounting and budgeting, human resources administration, strategic planning, law and ethics, biostatistics or epidemiology, health economics, and health information systems. Some programs allow students to specialize in one type of facility—hospitals, nursing care facilities, mental health facilities, or medical groups. Other programs encourage a generalist approach to health administration education.

Licensure. All States and the District of Columbia require nursing care facility administrators to have a bachelor's degree, pass a licensing examination, complete a State-approved training program, and pursue continuing education. Some States also require licenses for administrators in assisted-living facilities. A license is not required in other areas of medical and health services management.

Certification and other qualifications. Medical and health services managers often are responsible for facilities and equipment worth millions of dollars, and for hundreds of employees. To make effective decisions, they need to be open to different opinions and good at analyzing contradictory information. They must understand finance and information systems and be able to interpret data. Motivating others to implement their decisions requires strong leadership abilities. Tact, diplomacy, flexibility, and communication skills are essential because medical and health services managers spend most of their time interacting with others.

Health information managers who have a bachelor's degree or post baccalaureate degree from an approved program and who pass an exam can earn certification as a Registered Health Information Administrator from the American Health Information Management Association.

Advancement. Medical and health services managers advance by moving into more responsible and higher paying positions, such as assistant or associate administrator, department head, or chief executive officer, or by moving to larger facilities. Some experienced managers also may become consultants or professors of healthcare management.

New graduates with master's degrees in health services administration may start as department managers or as supervisory staff. The level of the starting position varies with the experience of the applicant and the size of the organization. Hospitals and other health facilities offer postgraduate residencies and fellowships, which usually are staff positions. Graduates from master's degree programs also take jobs in large medical group practices, clinics, mental health facilities, nursing care corporations, and consulting firms.

Graduates with bachelor's degrees in health administration usually begin as administrative assistants or assistant department heads in larger hospitals. They also may begin as department heads or assistant administrators in small hospitals or nursing care facilities.
I agree - misinformation - MT2Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think anyone is commenting on your choice of education. If you want to do a degree in basket-weaving, that would be fine because it is what you want to do.

The point seems to be the misinformation about coding as a career field. That misinformation will float around here forever, misleading people who are interested in coding. "Coder" is pointing out the errors in what you have posted so that people who could find a viable career in coding and related fields won't be dissuaded from it for no good reason.

In your original post, you stated that an AHIMA-approved program is required for credentialing. Then, in the post above, you state "I will be taking additional coding courses so that I can become CERTIFIED CODER, where the potential job marked is better. Yes, you can code without the degree. You can code in doctor's offices, small hospitals, etc but if you want do advance any further, you need a thorough coding education. I have talked to the coders at the hospital where I work part-time. I have talked to others who went to school and others who did not and credentialed coders do better long-term than that those who are not. I know that not every employer requires a coding credential just as not every employer requires the CMT."

THAT IS THE ERROR. I realize that you have spoken to the coders and/or management at your hospital in your small town, but they are giving you a mistaken view of the requirements for coding as they exist on a NATIONAL level. They are telling you what THEY think is required according to what THEY experienced and what THEY believe. That is likely to be based on what your local college's program teaches and what your managers learned in their RHIA/RHIT programs. Those programs often confuse the requirements for the RHIA/RHIT and coding credentials. An AHIMA-accredited program is required for the RHIA/RHIT, but it is NOT required for the AHIMA coding credentials. It is not required to be an RHIA/RHIT in order to code, either. Anyone can take the CCS and CCS-P exams without having done ANY PROGRAM AT ALL, and many coders do that.

Here's what you have to understand . . . sometimes coders and managers who have been through those programs can't see any other way to do it, so they tell everyone that's the only way. Sometimes they just want to support their professional organization, so they tell everyone that's the only way. You will find managers in HIM who claim they won't hire anyone who hasn't done an AHIMA approved program, but that doesn't hold true across the board.

What DOES hold true is that you need coding credentials. If you have a CCS, then you will have a good chance of getting a job. A CCS, CPC has a better chance. Once you have those credentials, nobody much cares what program you did. They don't care because the credential shows the knowledge to do the job. Taking a course does not.

What you don't know is that most people who take those courses never take a certification exam because they believe they can't pass them. Of those who do take the exam, about 60% do not pass. Employers nationally know this and that is why they prefer to hire already-credentialed coders.

Another error in your posts is that it takes 2 years to complete a coding program. That is not true. A coding program should take no more than a year. Even AHIMA-approved coding programs are only about a year long. While YOU may feel that it will take YOU 2 years to learn enough to pass a certification exam, that is your expectation only. It does not mean everyone will need 2 years, and that is the error "Coder" seemed to be pointing out. Other people looking at coding as a career should not come away from this board thinking that coding will take 2 or more years, because it should not.

Your information from the Dept of Labor is interesting and accurate. It is telling you that you need an RHIA, which is a 4-year degree, and/or an MBA in order to succeed in a viable administration job. That is what we see on a national basis, as well. I am not sure that most people will get paying jobs with an undergraduate (bachelor's) degrees in vague "business administration." My experience is that they will not. An RHIA will take 4 or more years and can cost up to $30+K. An MBA will take 2 or more years in addition, usually has some impressive entrance requirements that eliminate most everyone, and will almost always cost upwards of $30+K.

I agree with "Coder" that it is more cost-effective for MOST PEOPLE, perhaps not you, to focus first on a paying job. Coding can be learned quickly and fairly easily by a motivated individual in a coding-specific program, for 2-4K. After completing that, get credentialed, get a job, and then go on to get more education.

If they need a job now, it makes no sense to doodle around for 4, 6, or more years, particularly when most MTs will be making the switch in their 40s or 50s.

Finally, "Coder" is correct that coding isn't going anywhere. Your impression of jobs going away is based, again, on your experience with ONLY those coders at your hospital. You are not seeing the range of jobs available in coding on a national basis. Only rote, entry-level coding is likely to be replaced by computers, and I agree with "Coder" that it is not a threat to the industry.

I was an MT and now I am a credentialed coder. I have done all the programs described above and have a very clear understanding of the job market in coding. I just don't want good people who could succeed in coding to be thrown off by errors.

Nobody is criticizing your choices. It's just that they should not be foisted off on others without "full disclosure."
I have looked at more than just local colleges. - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
1) My local college does not offer a coding program.
2) My local college does not offer any medical records type programs.
3) I did not say it was going to take me 2 years to get the certified coder! I said It would take me 2 years in school. I am half way to my associates and then will be doing a bachelors and maybe even further than that. I NEVER said it would take me 2 years to do the coding itself. The reason I am not taking coding right now is because I needed more money. To get more money in this area, I need a degree. Hence financial aid. At this point in my life I am not able to move to somewhere where there is a better job market. I have an elderly, ill father in the nursing home and I need to stay close to where he is. In fact he got out of ICU last week where he was on BiPAP and almost had to be intubated, so I do not feel I can move away and leave him right now.
I have looked into several schools online that offered coding programs, and did not find where they offered financial aid, Andrews included. I cannot afford a monthly payment of any kind at this point. You do not know my situation.

As for as your comment to taking the CCS and CCS-P program exam without taking any course at all, I took the CMT exam without any course at all AND PASSED.

I have coding experience. I coded both inpatient, outpatient, and for a Home Health agency.

I know that those who went through programs tell you that is the only way to do it, the same way that MTs say certain schools are the only way to do it.

I want the degree and the coding school and certification for more knowledge.

I didn't really think I'd be starting a friggin war for just expressing MY OPINION and my thoughts only that might work for me. It was not in anyway meant to deter anyone else from going to school, just be sure to think before you leap and to not be afraid to try. I was terrified of even starting school at all, and I am so glad that I did. I have learned more in the last year than I have in a long time. I never thought I would ever pass college algebra, and I not only passed, I got an A! I have done my homework and I am always looking for the best way for ME to get the coding education and knowledge. I have not chosen a coding program. I will thoroughly do my homework and investigate before I choose one. I also do not take the words of anonymous people on anonymous boards as gospel truth. Just because someone says they are a coder or even an MT does not necessarily mean they are, but I have NEVER argued with anyone that they were posting misinformation or misleading someone without knowing more facts MYSELF. I have been transcribing for 25 years, and I have 5 years of coding experience, although it is limited to what was done in my small town.

I thank you for more information. Like I said, I am only in the beginning stages of furthering my education. I am going to check out the CCS and CCS-P exams and see what the requirements are. You never know, I might just pass those without going to school, too, just like I did the CMT.

Gee just looky what I found. Notice it says 2 years and an associates degree. - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
From the AAPC - the American Academy of Professional Coders:

Medical Coding Certification Requirements
We recommend having an associate’s degree.
Pay examination fee at the time of application submission.
Maintain current membership with the AAPC.
New members must submit membership payment with examination application.
Renewing members must have a current membership at the time of submission and when exam results are released.
All exams will be reported with exact scores and areas of study (65% or less).
A CPC® must have at least two years medical coding experience (member's with an apprentice designation are not required to have two years medical coding experience.) Membership is required to be renewed annually and 36 Continuing Education Units (CEU's) must be submitted every two years for verification and authentication of expertise.

Note:
Each examination is separate and distinct from one another. To obtain all certifications, each examination must be taken separately and passed. Continuing Education Unit (CEU) submissions are required for all certifications. For CEU requirements please see our CEU Information page.

Not sure what you're saying, but I think you've misread what you posted - First Time Poster On This Topic
[ In Reply To ..]
1. You can get your CPC-A (apprentice) without 2 years coding experience. In some coding courses, like Andrews, graduates get credit for the time spent in the course. The 'A' for Apprentice comes off when you've put the time in. ---The 2 years are not a requirement.

2. "We RECOMMEND having an associate’s degree." ---It is not a requirement.
I was basically called a liar when I said it would - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]
take 2 years for the coding certificate. All I'm saying is I have done my homework and my degree will be in business to allow myself more options, not limit them. On the Andrews school site is says 12 to 24 months in coding school. And to take the test you have to have 2 years of experience, or the apprentice designation.

I can't find anything about the apprentice designation but I'm still looking.
Apprentice & time requirements - CCS, CPC
[ In Reply To ..]
Neither the AHIMA nor the AAPC coding certifications (CCS, CCS-P, CPC, CPC-H, etc.) have any educational requirements. They may recommend, but do not require.

Neither have an experience requirement. They may recommend, but do not require.

You may take the AAPC tests without any experience, but if you pass you will not receive the full certification until you have accumulated 2 years of experience. Until you have the 2 years of experience, you will be given a certification with an "apprentice designation." This is removed and the full certification granted when you have 2 years. Up to a year credit is given for completion of certain coding programs.

You do not need an "apprentice designation" before testing. It is something that is applied to the certificate if you pass the test but do not have 2 years of experience or education plus experience.

This information is on their websites.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your information. - Cindy
[ In Reply To ..]

I've looked at both sites and posted information from both sites in a post above.  

Honestly, and this is JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION, NOT FACT, GOSPEL, OR TRUTH, I would not want to spend the kind of money for any of the certification exams without some training, knowledge and/or experience so I felt confident enough to try. That is an awful lot of money to waste.  I know that not everyone passes the first time, but I would rather have some sort of security that I least had a chance to pass because I had the knowledge and necessary skills than to try it without any kind of class or enough reasonable experience. 

It's just like people saying they are a CMT just because they have a school certificate. They have no idea what is really entails until they get in the trenches and actually do the job and earn the credential.  

I think that this why these credentials are EARNED and not just GIVEN.  I think like anything else in this world, if you are going to do it, don't just do it half way, but do it the right way and put everything into it. 

Denial ISN"T Just a River in Egypt - Realist
[ In Reply To ..]
That was a long-winded way of saying, "Those who are actually hiring coders don't know what they're talking about. Listen to me -- an anonymous poster on a message board -- because I DO."

You have obviously invested a lot of time and money in your coding education. Good for you.

Now it's time for you to take off the rose-colored glasses and stop the DENIAL that you're in and spreading around like a disease.

The writing is on the wall, and it's in ALL the prof literature. Time for you to wake up.
who are you responding to? - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
MT2Coder -- obviously. nm - Realist
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Denial - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm thinking the post was meant either for MT2Coder or for me. First of all, I don't understand the anger. Are you a coder who has experienced this? We are sharing our first hand experience of the coding workplace and how it impacts us, not what other places are doing. I'm only a few years from being able to retire, so completely leaving the healthcare documentation field (MT/coding) was not an option for me, nor was spending years in school, only to find that I could not get a job at the end. I am employed, and I'm not going to quit because chicken little predicts that the sky is going to fall.
LOL Anger? - Realist
[ In Reply To ..]
I point out FLAWED LOGIC, and you think that's "anger." Get a clue: Not everyone is as overemotional as you are.

Your personal situation is anecdotal so 100% statistically MOOT. The pros in the industry -- the ones who STEER it so know EXACTLY what the trends are -- are all saying that coding is NOT viable. (There are MTs out there still too, but that doesn't make MT long-term viable either.) Those industry pros are certainly not "Chicken Littles."

Go on, keep trying to PROJECT your emotionalism, personal situation, and DENIAL onto others. Fortunately it won't work.
I've been reading the "professional literature" and there aren't enough coders - Furthermore See Message
[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is becoming more important and there are fewer coders to fill the positions that are open. Fewer CREDENTIALED (CCS) coders, that is. There are coders leaving the field because they are afraid of changes, ICD-10 mainly. That means more jobs for those who aren't afraid of learning something new, just like MT, which works very well for many MTs and others continually find themselves in the wrong place with inadequate skills.

We all have choices. I'm going with the attitude that I'm not afraid to learn new things. There have always been changes. There always will be. Those who have had the best skills have often come out of change with better jobs than they had before, because so many other people don't want to bother. Of course there are other reasons for failure too, reasons of health and economics, not having the physical ability or the economic means to get the right training and stay up to date in the field you are working in. There are even those who have reached their learning capacity. That's understandable too. There are lots of areas of my life where I've learned as much as I am capable of learning about that skill or area of knowledge. MT and coding are no different. Not everyone can learn it to the level sufficient to get and keep a good job.
Short-term versus LONG-TERM - CodingISGoingAway
[ In Reply To ..]
Everything you posted here is about the SHORT-TERM.

Everything I posted was about the LONG-TERM.

Please LEARN THE DIFFERENCE.
I choose my teachers carefully and I do not choose to learn hysteria - Please see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a number of qualified, credentialed coding professionals that I am happy to learn from. The problem these days is, anyone and everyone can get online and post anything as if they were an expert. In other words, I'm not buying what you're selling. I don't mean to be harsh, because you clearly believe what you are saying, but you've been misinformed. I read the professional journals. I'll seek wise counsel on the subject and study what they say. There are opportunities available even in this very tough global environment.
LOL - CodingISGoingAway
[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I'm not selling anything so it doesn't matter whether you're "buying" it or not.

Secondly, I don't give a flying rat's behind what you do or do not believe, do or do not do. Do whatever you wish; it has ZERO effect on me. Apparently you're so full of yourself that you believe otherwise.

There are a lot of coder newbies and coder wannabees reading and posting on here; I *used to be* one of them. They deserve the TRUTH in the long-term prognosis of coding, not the fake rosy picture that you and your ilk paint. The EXACT same thing happened with MT, as we have all seen and are LIVING RIGHT NOW.

Talk to ANY qualified medical IT person and they will back up what I say (others have already posted this on this forum in other threads). READ the literature (not the crap run-of-the-mill articles tailored to coders; there is no doubt that the coders will be LIED TO, just like we MTs were LIED TO) -- the trade magazines that the MANAGERS (RHAs, etc.) read. It echoes EXACTLY what I said because THAT IS THE SOURCE I AM PARAPHRASING.

Au contraire (you can look that term up). There is ZERO hysteria over here because -- unlike you -- I have ZERO emotional investment in it one way or the other. That's because I LEARNED BETTER than to get into coding because LONG-TERM CODING IS NOT VIABLE, AND THAT IS WHY I'M NOT IN IT.

So keep coding away, and then come back here in a couple of years so you can whine about losing your profession.
Plenty of MTs are doing well - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It does sound like you are pretty heavily invested emotionally in convincing all of us to believe the way you do. I don't agree with you, but certainly you have a right to your opinion. I just want to comment that I, for one, feel like you are screaming at us because we aren't agreeing with you. I wish you well, but I'm going to stop reading your messages because you are upsetting yourself.
CORRECTION: You'll stop reading because it upsets YOU. - LMAO!
[ In Reply To ..]
Now you prove yourself to be dishonest as well as being in deep denial AND projecting -- truly severely dysfunctional.

You will stop reading because it's not what you want to hear. PERIOD.

Obviously you have identity issues as well: YOU are the coder who has invested time and money. NOT MOI.

I already told you: This does not upset me in the least; there is no reason for it to. Projecting YOUR state of mind onto others isn't healthy.

You need to seek help.
I find it really funny - realist2
[ In Reply To ..]
that you have YET to cite your sources.

I feel sorry for you in that your need for attention is greater than your desire to tell the truth.

My problem is... - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
being a serious flip-flopper and not knowing what direction I want to go in--stay in the health field/coding where I am comfortable, or get out altogether, which is where the office admin course would come in handy. My decision changes almost daily between the two. But thanks for the opposing view and giving additional info. That's what I like about this forum.

My thoughts - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations to you on your decision to go back to school. I've been an MT all my working life and went back to school for coding at 56, and have a coding-related job now. I disagree with your assessment of coding disappearing with the advent of computerized coding, you are greatly simplifying the issue. I've seen enough computerized coding where I work to know that there is a huge margin for error. If diagnoses are not sequenced properly or the verbiage is not correct, reimbursement can be affected by thousands of dollars or payment not made at all. It takes a trained coder to make those decisions, assign modifiers, and code hospital records for Medicare and Medicaid. Coders fill other roles as well, doing data analysis and performing audits. Perhaps I am overly optimistic, but I don't see coding becoming extinct. Coders' roles are changing, just as the role of the MT has changed, but it is not becoming extinct. Thanks for letting me share my thoughts. Good luck in the pursuit of your degree.

Kudos - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
That's terrific you went back to school in your 50s and found a job. That is one of the reasons I am dragging my feet--fear of spending money for school and not finding a job because of my age. Success stories like yours give me hope.

Similar Messages:

Medical Billing/Coding
Feb 13, 2015

Does any one know of any good medical billing and coding schools online? ...

Transcriptionist Also Does Medical Coding/billing?
Nov 16, 2009

I was wondering if anyone who is a transcriptionist also does medical coding/billing.  I wonder if we are any safer with this field and what the pay is like.  It looks to be about the same from what I have found on line.  I have been doing transcription for 10 years and am getting tired of what is happening in the industry.  It is tedious, hard work to sit on your butt all day and only get paid when your fingers are on the keys.  I am thinking of working in an office or hospital for a chang ...

Information On Medical Billing/coding
Sep 08, 2010

I am interested in obtaining some information on the medical billing/coding certifications.  If anyone has class or school informaiton that is realiable I would greatly appreciate it.  I am looking for online certificated classes. Thanks ...

Future In Medical Coding / Billing
Feb 08, 2012

I have a question about coding and billing.  For three years in the '90s, I coded and transcribed for a small, rural, hospital.  I was responsible for outpatient, ER, inpatient, surgical etc. coding and transcription.  It was mostly ICD-9, and HCPC coding.  If I want to code from home in the future, what would you suggest I do, an online program?  Do you think coding from home would be an opportunity or do most hospitals/clinics/physicians require experience at a facility first, and wo ...

Coding/Medical Billing Jobs?
May 05, 2012

How plentiful are the jobs for coders and medical billers? Currently I am an MT but looking into other career options. Thanks! ...

Is Medical Billing/coding Also Going Overseas?
Aug 03, 2013

gotta be honest, i despise medical transcription - booorrrrring - BUT i still want to work at home. i know coding/billing probably isn't any more interesting, but because i still want to work at home, i'm considering learning it. does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with it? if so, is it, too, also going overseas? are there any work at home jobs that are not going overseas? ...

Medical Coding And Billing Sites
Oct 07, 2013

Hello out there. Are there any medical coding and billing sites like this one. Any information on websites or where to look would be greatly appreciated. ...

MT Looking To Take A Course In Either Medical Billing Or Coding To Have Something Else For Training
Feb 25, 2014

I need to make a switch if I should lose my transcription job. Which would you recommend to get into first? Wondering if I should take a medical billing course first which would help me get hired somewhere else and does have a billing background help with coding?? I have a local vocational school that offers a medical billing course but nothing nearby that offers coding. Also I would prefer to do an online course and not sure which one would be the best. I don't want to spend money if ...

Medical Transcription Versus Coding/billing
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an idea which career might pay best, medical transcription or medical billing/coding? I am curious about which pays best. ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

Penn Foster Coding And Medical Billing Program?
Jan 29, 2015

Hello, Just wanting opinions/experiences with Penn Foster's Training Program Coding and Medical Billing. Thanks in advance. ...

Will More People With Health Insurance = More Medical Coding And Billing Jobs?
Jun 29, 2012

The people I know who will now be getting medical insurance will obviously now go to the doctor when they get sick. It makes sense to me that there will be more coding and more billing, right? That's a good thing for us I think. ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Using Dragon Medical Practice, Version 2 For Transcription, Coding, Billing, Editing - Is It Worth I
Dec 29, 2014

It was recently suggested to me that I get Dragon Medical practice Edition, Version 2 for use on transcription, coding, billing and editing. As someone who works from home, I am hoping to investigate the pros and cons of investing in this program and whether its worth it ($1,399.00!!) Does anyone have any experience using this program for transcription, etc who would like to comment? Is it worth the time investment and the money investment? Is the program fairly easy to set up and use ie: l ...

Hired For Coding/billing/transcription, But Told No Coding
Aug 13, 2013

Accepted a job, gave 2 weeks notice, and yesterday was my first day.  I was to be helping out transcription (1000 jobs behind), and then sitting with billing and training with coding as their coder will be out on maternity leave in December.  The office is adding another surgeon, and they are rapidly expanding.  So I gave a proper 2 weeks' notice to my former employer (2 hours on the road there and back, low salary - now less than half distance and $3 more an hour) and starte ...

Learning Coding
Jan 30, 2012

Is there any coder out there who has 'self-taught' themselves and successfully passed the CCS and working?  I'm an MT whose so ready to change to coding, but keep putting it off schooling due to being financially strapped (as MT'ing just barely pays the simple bills.....nothing more).  I also think being an MT will put me at an advantage in learning coding than someone 'off the street'/no knowledge of any facet of the medical field.  Any thoughts? ...

Learning E/m Coding And....(sm)
Jun 17, 2012

I have been trying to find a downloadable/printable version of the "E and M documentatinoadn coding worksheet in aqua and gray."  Hoping someone can help me! ...

Learning Coding And Can Someone Explain
Oct 02, 2014

I am currently studying to add coding to my skills. I kind of get it, but a bit confused on something. I understand CPC is through AAPC and CCS is through AHIMA. Here is what I'm not understanding and wonder if someone could please explain.  I'm studying to take the CCS exam.  Do physicians offices use something different for coding, or are these two credentials interchangeable with hospital and physician office coding. I read that Carol Buck's study guides are reall ...

Coding Classes Through A Distance Learning Program
Aug 01, 2010

I work full-time as an MT and take coding classes through a distance learning progam, I'm about half way through and have just started to learn coding; first inpatient, then outpatient.  My MT job is good now, on-site with plenty of work and good pay, but we are moving to EPIC and VR and job cuts are imminent within the next year or so.  I am thinking ahead to coding jobs, though, and recently applied for a medical records clericial position where a small amount of coding would be involv ...

Learning Medical Prefix's And Such
Jan 26, 2010

Does anyone have any advice on how to remember all these prefix's-roots and such? thanks ...

Having Second Thoughts On Coding.....
Aug 12, 2014

Up until 2 years ago, I was a medical transcription is for 6.5 years. I was only p/t & kept losing jobs so I had to find another p/t job to supplement my income. The second job paid well & seemed like it could actually go somewhere so I quit transcription. Well, the second employer then ended up with serious financial problems. There is now no real chance for me to get a f/t position here in the near future. I looked at my options & thought coding made sense, but now it seems like it may be alm ...

?'s/thoughts On Coding Going The Same Way As MT
Jan 01, 2015

Hello and Happy New Year to all! I've been an MT for about 10 years now and have been going back and forth over getting into coding for about the last 3 years. I get so excited at the prospect of starting a new career/having more financial stability in a field that I know I am suited to, that I allow myself to have some hope-- but then my mind eventually comes back to all of the potential negatives, and that hope fades....   So today, on this New Year's day, I wou ...

Billing/coding
Apr 20, 2010

has anyone thought about or actually made the swith from mt to billing/coding? ...

Coding/Billing
Jan 11, 2011

Anyone know if MedQuist has coding/billing jobs and would hire a new grad from CareerStep?  Thanks!  ...

Billing Vs Coding
Apr 05, 2011

Quick question - medical billing and medical coding are two totally separate entities, right?  Meaning, you have schools for billing and schools for coding or schools that teach coding OR billing.. Just had a discussion with someone regarding this and I would like to have my facts straight ... thanks everyone!!!   There are billing jobs and coding jobs, but the two shall never "meet", right? ...

Billing And Coding
Apr 11, 2011

I have a stupid question.  When I finished my MT course with Allied Medical School, I then found out they are NOT (federally) accredited, they do not assist you in finding positions, and they do not assist in helping you become certified.  In other words, I felt that I wasted all of that money.  As a newbe I was unable to find a job.  I started apprenticing with a company, paid their $500 fee for software, and after 8-9 months, found they had changed their name.  Apparently, they were getti ...

Looking Into Coding And Billing
Sep 30, 2011

I have been an MT for 20+ years and now looking into coding and billing... Would you recommend it? I am considering this, but looking for some words of wisdom prior to making a decision. I see Career Step offers the program, but not familiar enough with Career Step to know if they are a reputable. I have been told that coding is on its way out like transcription and not to waste my time, but only heard that from one person so far.  Anything you can share with me would be great! Thanks :) ...

No Coding Or Even Billing Job Yet
Oct 30, 2014

It has been almost 8 months since I passed my CPC on first try. I have been in MT field for more than 14 years, and yet nobody is ready to give me a job based on that. Everyone says u dont have a coing xperience. Is anybody else suffering like me out there? I am slowly losing hope that I will ever be able to leave this field. ...

Coding Versus Billing
Apr 14, 2010

Can anyone explain the difference between coding and billing?  Do coding credentials apply to billing too? ...

Billing And Coding With MT Background
Jun 15, 2010

I have a background in medical transcription however I am unable to sit in the same position (foot pedal - headset - typing) for any length of time.  I broke my neck many years ago and didn't know when I was in school that this was going to prevent me from doing this career on even a part time basis and after graduating with high honors and having great employee/employer relationships. I am wondering if it is feasible to do billing and coding with medical transcription in a home offic ...