A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What does MModal's announcement mean for current coders - worred

Posted: Mar 13, 2014

There are many of us who left places like that to be coders and don't want to go back.

I wouldn't push the panic button just yet - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They are going to train 60 people. How many do you think will actually succeed?
It is a "pilot" program probably designed to test that exact question.

Check back at the end of summer and if it is successful, worry.

It means absolutely nothing for current coders. - Nothing whatsoever

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't want to go back to MM, JUST DON'T. Simple.

Get a more realistice perspective. They are not omnipotent. They are declaring bankrupcy, for gosh sakes!! And they are a drop in the bucket.

They are training 60 people, most likely because they can't find enough coders. Do you truly think 60 people are going to affect anything?

I never worked for MModal - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
But they had such far reaching influence they caused wages to drop in transcription. I am not worried about 60 coders, but if this is something new they are starting, they will flood the market with coders and our wages will drop. They will start trying to get contracts with hospitals by paying their coders nothing, and subsequently we will be out of work.

Nope, they did not cause that problem. - It began long before

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry.

I don't think they'll flood the market, as much as - I think they will charge so - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
for their outsourced coding services that hospitals may decide to outsource their coding, just as they did their transcription. THAT is what will drive wages down - the fact that coding middlemen could drive the price to the hospitals down.
(typo): It should be "charge so little for their - outsourced coding services -" NM
[ In Reply To ..]

It means that they will be underbidding and competing for coding accounts even more - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember when some of us were discussing M*Modal taking away coding jobs (one link below) years ago. I, along with other MTs, was told by a certain arrogant coder that we were "liars" and "fear mongerers".

Of course it's going to affect current coders! MM has been in the coding field for the last few years (starting as MedQuist), including Indian coders, and now it seems they are ramping up even further. To repeat what I said further down the page: Obviously, from a business standpoint, M*Modal will want to become successful and profitable in the coding business. To do that, they will have to obtain as many coding accounts as possible. And to do that they will have to underbid other coding companies to get them and convince facilities how much money they can save by outsourcing the coding departments (the same way they did with MT). This in turn means they will be paying their coders less than the going rate. There's no way around it.

Link:

Without a doubt. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It is like watching the MT situation unfold all over again. There was so much denial back then. I was afraid at first, then saw what VR could do and laughed it off. Oh, little did I know. Ten years later my salary has gone from $25 an hour to $12.

The difference between then and now is that it took over a decade to totally decimate the MT biz, this one will take much less time. Maybe 2-3.

Sorry, but it is EXACTLY what happened to MT.

I guess I'm not too worried about losing my job - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Our facility outsourced transcription on two separate occasions and the quality of the work was abyssmal. We had to basically redo all of the work that was returned to us. After being burnt like that we have never looked into it since. But I do worry about wages going down, if MModal thinks they are going to crank out hundreds of coders.

MM will be in another - predicament

[ In Reply To ..]
They think MTs should all be paid peanuts, because they don't know the job. Now they want to hire coders! I see a lot of ads for coders, but mostly for INPATIENT coders, which is the most difficult, isn't it? How do they think they can get around that?
they've been hiring coders - for a long time
[ In Reply To ..]
and they pay them well too.
Same way they get around everything else they - do. With lies, smoke and mirrors. NM
[ In Reply To ..]

What's worrisome is if it sets a precedent for - other MT companies to follow suit.

[ In Reply To ..]
nmsg

Other companies following suit? - Not ready for prime time

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know if you are aware, but two MTSOs, Amphion and Precyse have been hiring contract coders for years. Precyse is also active in training on-site coders in ICD-10. Amphion hires consultants who train and assist facilities with deficiencies. What you are referring to is not new and has been going on for years.

Similar Messages:

Question For Current Coders
May 13, 2014

Have coding processes changed recently at your facilities?  I work for a very large hospital, a level I trauma center and teaching facility.  I work on the outpatient side.  We have strict productivity guidelines not only in terms of charts per hour but also percentage of productive time.  Our volumes are huge and are supposed to be coding within 1.5 to 2 days post discharge.  It seems like they have found more and more ways to cut corners in order to push more charts ou ...

TO: Current MM Coders NOT TRAINEES
Aug 23, 2014

I don't know why people want to rip me a new one over this, but I would simply like to know if Mmodal treats it current coder employees (NOT ITS TRAINEES) any better than its treats ts MTs. How may pay cuts have you had in the last 5 years? How many benefits have you had cut? What kiind of audit percentage do you have to meet? Do you have a form of performance manages that cuts your salary in half? Are you happy working as a coder for Mmodal? Would you recommend Mmodal to any other c ...

Current Coders - Please Share Your Opinion
Apr 12, 2010

I have been a MT for years, but am ready to change careers. Do you think coding is going to be in the same position as MT some years down the road or do you feel coding is stable career choice, and coders will always be needed? ...

Considering Coding School. Can Some Current Coders Please Tell Me - Sm
Jan 06, 2015

why coding would not eventually be replaced by electronic systems in the future?  Do they not have software that can pick out words from the text and assign the codes?  What does a coder do that cannot be automated by a machine?  Please don't think I am being insulting.  I know very little about coding and have just started researching it.  I am an MT for 20+ years. ...

Were MModal Coders At The Meeting?
Oct 16, 2012

I wonder how they are faring working for MModal.  Are they making any money? anyone know? ...

Question To The MModal Coders
Feb 13, 2015

To any MModal coders who took their training this past year, do you think they will offer this program again?  I was thinking about joining if they did.  Have they got the bugs worked out yet?  ...

I Googled MModal Indian Coders And Found Out There Is A
Mar 11, 2014

x ...

So The New Announcement Was That The New......
Oct 02, 2014

WOULD NOT be calculated in compensation at this time??  So what was the exciting news?   That means it has nothing to do with wages or bonuses...not sure what the hype is?   So basically things stay the same with pay and bonuses how they are figured? ...

Anyone Else Get This??? Special Announcement
Jan 18, 2013

There is an important announcement being made Monday, January 01/21/2013. Please attend... ...

October Announcement
Sep 26, 2014

I am no my shift right now......a lot of strange things lately.  I canno get ANYONE to answer an e-mail.  My boss decided to go on "vacation" for 2 weeks and will not be back until middle of October?  FIESA?  I haven't received anything from them in weeks!!   ...

ETrans Sweaty Announcement
Oct 03, 2011

Could have saved myself some weekend anxiety. The 877 call in number was Medquist. The CEO tremored through the whole accounce of the buyout. HUH eat my foot they will recognize and keep everything intact. When I asked for Federal Leave when Q bought Spheris they would NOT recognize my time. eTrans made an "error" last pay taking away all my PTO. The sweaty CEO has a bad conscious because eTrans will make as much as MTs in India. Now I know what the Plus in Etrans stood for. ...

Anybody Else Get A Laugh From The Press Announcement?
May 09, 2012

OOOHH.  Big announcement today, join us.  For what?  DocQscribe just renamed?  Forgive me if I am not excited, sounds like a disappointing regift to me.  In fact, it is probably better they change it to Fluency or whatever because on my new MM computer sent for the upgrade to DocQscribe 7 they spelled the program as DoQscribe.  No kidding.  Be on the watch out for more pictures of corporate parties I am sure because to some people this is a big deal.  ...

Special Announcement Followup
Jan 21, 2013

The big special announcement was our TCM was moving back into her previous roll of QA coach - bringing in a new TCM.   No lost accounts, no jobs cut, no pay cuts... all positives... ...

Pitiful Webmedx Community Page Announcement
Sep 01, 2010

What a bunch of nonsense.  They wait until well into their smoke and mirrors BS to say that they lost two accounts and had to let people go. Guaranteed they knew the accounts were gone a while ago--seen this with them before, and the decent thing would have been to warn people--but there seems to be no decency here any longer in how management conducts itself.  Question:   What is with all the new hires this summer who have been scrolling on the community page? ...

My Catalyst Announcement Email Just Says "null" Inside.
Jun 12, 2012

Is it anything interesting or important, or does everyone's just say null, LOL... ...

Hello Coders!
Dec 21, 2009

Where are you all?  Enjoying your work?  ...

The Best Coders
Jan 31, 2010

I would love to get the point of view of others on this topic. I've been watching coders for years, our graduates and others. I've found from my own experience that the best coders are people who enjoy more structure than one might find in medical transcription, for example. People who enjoy accounting, bankers, medical office managers, many nurses, and sometimes burned-out MTs. If you have 10 medical transcriptionists transcribe a report, you may have that many different versions, ea ...

For VA Coders
Jan 18, 2012

requirements say that education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  If we did not attend an accredited school, can we still apply?  It says applicants must only report attendance or degrees from such.  So, don't bother reporting if you didn't attend an accredited school?  How's that work? ...

Coders-is There A Way
Jan 22, 2012

to check out coding and what it is all about before going through a course. I am interested in doing coding but am unsure if it is right for me. Thank you for your thoughts and input. ...

Hey Coders!
Aug 21, 2013

Two, actually, if that's alright... 1. What do you love most about your job? 2. If you weren't a coder, what would you be? There is no real reason behind my questions -- no ulterior motive as it were -- just plain ole curiosity. ...

What I Want To Know For All You New Coders,
Mar 22, 2014

You better be learning the ICD-10.  It starts in October.  Hopefully you are not just learning ICD-9, because that will be all gone soon.  I would ask about the ICD-10, if you are not learning the new up and coming codes, it sounds like this company will use you and then throw you away.  ...

Coders
Aug 20, 2014

How did the coding program work out for those of you "aces" that got in?  I would love to get into coding..I am really getting to where I hate transcription and seriously considering heading for the door..in fact I have applications and resumes circulating and am really hoping for a change. ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Some Questions For Those Who Are Already Coders:
Aug 31, 2010

I spent the better part of today looking at jobs other than MT.  Although very few hospitals had openings for MTs (they probably don't even have an MT Dept. anymore), there were coder jobs at almost every facility.  None of the ads I looked at gave a wage.  What does an experienced (5+ years) coder usually make?  Are you paid on production, or by the hour?  Is coding done on a computer?  What sort of software is used, and in your own experience, is it better t ...

How Are Coders Paid?
Jul 15, 2011

I am going to apply for the coding program at my local community college.  I have just finished the required prerequisite courses.  I have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years and am having to start over at 60.  Could you please tell me if coders are paid by the hour or are they paid piece work?  I'm also wonder if you think there will be jobs to be had after going through school.  Thanks! ...

Where Do Most Of You Work As Coders?
Oct 20, 2011

Do most of you work in hospitals and clinics or at home? ...

Is There Is A Job Board For Coders?
Oct 27, 2011

Where do coders go to look for remote and/or in-house jobs? Thanks ...

Question For Coders ...
Dec 15, 2011

Just visiting your board to ask a question out of ignorance. I'm an MT working for a hospital, doing straight transcription. There's been a growing trend for the hospitalists to dictate absolutely HUGE, long H&Ps/discharges ... including every stinkin' lab test and diagnostic procedure the patient has had for the last decade, it seems. Most of the reports are walls o' text, as these docs go on and on and bleepin' ON for at least four to five pages of transcribed dic ...

Question For MTs-to-Coders
Jan 17, 2012

Hi all you MTs-to-Coders!  I am curious to know why you left MT for coding? Burnout? Better suited to your personality? Better pay? Also, in conjuction to that, what kind of MT eduction did you have? Learn on the job? School? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to go into MT or coding--I'm leaning toward MT through Andrews right now (for numerous reasons), but am looking for a perspective from the other end of the tunnel, so to speak. Thanks! ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...