A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question for MTs-to-Coders - fencer

Posted: Jan 17, 2012

Hi all you MTs-to-Coders!  I am curious to know why you left MT for coding? Burnout? Better suited to your personality? Better pay?

Also, in conjuction to that, what kind of MT eduction did you have? Learn on the job? School?

I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to go into MT or coding--I'm leaning toward MT through Andrews right now (for numerous reasons), but am looking for a perspective from the other end of the tunnel, so to speak.

Thanks!

Perspective from my viewpoint - re MT-to-Coders

[ In Reply To ..]
In general, I think many MTs are looking to get into coding because they are tired of MTSOs cutting pay, companies being bought out by other companies and then your job changes, and not in a good way. We're also tired of hearing about how it's all over for MT, even if when some of us feel very sure that MT is going to be around for many years to come. We don't exactly know what form it will be in and if our specific job will be there, and we are just tired of hearing about how horrible the industry is, even when we don't especially think it is that awful.

In specific, I think coding is fun. Okay, it's not easy, but also not horribly hard, and I had major burnout from too many years as an MT.

MT to Coding - I

[ In Reply To ..]
I saw that MT opportunities were shrinking along with the pay. VR cut our work, the future was not bright. I had all that medical information in my head so I looked to coding next so I could still use that knowledge. Coding is tough. I do inpatient coding and it is very stressful.

A thought - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
This does not have to be an either/or decision. Linda can help you decide what is best for you. She is very good with that and you do not need to worry that she will pressure you. I suggest you call her.

If you decide to go into MT, be aware that everything you learn will apply to coding. The work is different, but the knowledge base for coding includes that of MT. It just goes beyond it and requires using the information more than recognizing it. Coders use the same reports MTs transcribe. The knowledge of report types and content is very valuable for them. Some coders classify operations and procedures based on exactly what was done, not just the title. Coders also classify and assess the work value of physician-patient encounters. That requires anunderstanding of what goes into a report and what it is telling you.

If you really want to do MT, remember that all of it will transfer to coding. It isn't as if you would lose anything or waste it.

Even the improved keyboard skills you develop will help. A lot of coders can hardly type. Some have poor writing skills. Some are even poor readers. MTs are better able to do some coding jobs and others that require a knowledge of coding because of their literacy skills.

Good points! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Hello Coders!
Dec 21, 2009

Where are you all?  Enjoying your work?  ...

The Best Coders
Jan 31, 2010

I would love to get the point of view of others on this topic. I've been watching coders for years, our graduates and others. I've found from my own experience that the best coders are people who enjoy more structure than one might find in medical transcription, for example. People who enjoy accounting, bankers, medical office managers, many nurses, and sometimes burned-out MTs. If you have 10 medical transcriptionists transcribe a report, you may have that many different versions, ea ...

For VA Coders
Jan 18, 2012

requirements say that education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  If we did not attend an accredited school, can we still apply?  It says applicants must only report attendance or degrees from such.  So, don't bother reporting if you didn't attend an accredited school?  How's that work? ...

Coders-is There A Way
Jan 22, 2012

to check out coding and what it is all about before going through a course. I am interested in doing coding but am unsure if it is right for me. Thank you for your thoughts and input. ...

Hey Coders!
Aug 21, 2013

Two, actually, if that's alright... 1. What do you love most about your job? 2. If you weren't a coder, what would you be? There is no real reason behind my questions -- no ulterior motive as it were -- just plain ole curiosity. ...

What I Want To Know For All You New Coders,
Mar 22, 2014

You better be learning the ICD-10.  It starts in October.  Hopefully you are not just learning ICD-9, because that will be all gone soon.  I would ask about the ICD-10, if you are not learning the new up and coming codes, it sounds like this company will use you and then throw you away.  ...

Coders
Aug 20, 2014

How did the coding program work out for those of you "aces" that got in?  I would love to get into coding..I am really getting to where I hate transcription and seriously considering heading for the door..in fact I have applications and resumes circulating and am really hoping for a change. ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Some Questions For Those Who Are Already Coders:
Aug 31, 2010

I spent the better part of today looking at jobs other than MT.  Although very few hospitals had openings for MTs (they probably don't even have an MT Dept. anymore), there were coder jobs at almost every facility.  None of the ads I looked at gave a wage.  What does an experienced (5+ years) coder usually make?  Are you paid on production, or by the hour?  Is coding done on a computer?  What sort of software is used, and in your own experience, is it better t ...

How Are Coders Paid?
Jul 15, 2011

I am going to apply for the coding program at my local community college.  I have just finished the required prerequisite courses.  I have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years and am having to start over at 60.  Could you please tell me if coders are paid by the hour or are they paid piece work?  I'm also wonder if you think there will be jobs to be had after going through school.  Thanks! ...

Where Do Most Of You Work As Coders?
Oct 20, 2011

Do most of you work in hospitals and clinics or at home? ...

Is There Is A Job Board For Coders?
Oct 27, 2011

Where do coders go to look for remote and/or in-house jobs? Thanks ...

Question For Coders ...
Dec 15, 2011

Just visiting your board to ask a question out of ignorance. I'm an MT working for a hospital, doing straight transcription. There's been a growing trend for the hospitalists to dictate absolutely HUGE, long H&Ps/discharges ... including every stinkin' lab test and diagnostic procedure the patient has had for the last decade, it seems. Most of the reports are walls o' text, as these docs go on and on and bleepin' ON for at least four to five pages of transcribed dic ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Question For Coders...
May 20, 2013

I'm currently an MT for many years, in the process of enrolling to take a coding program at a community college (waitlisted at the moment).  I've done much research before making this decision, but have never spoken to someone who actually works in coding.  I have some general questions regarding what you think of the profession -- do you like your job? If so, what is it that you like? Do you find it at all monotonous or is there some variety in what you do? I wonder if it ma ...

Outsourcing Coders
May 24, 2013

With all of this outsourcing of MT/Editors, what does the future look like for medical coders?  I have heard that Nuance has developed software to "assist" the coder.  My concern is that it is going to REPLACE the coder.  Any thoughts?  ...

A Question For Coders, Please
Aug 09, 2013

Now that I am nearing the end of my coding course, which teaches both inpatient and outpatient coding, I am starting to wonder just how different it is in the "real" coding world compared to what I've been studying. I knew studying coding was going to be difficult and I have excellent grades, but I wonder how this level of difficulty compares to coding on the job. Thank you for any input! ...

Remote Coders
Jan 17, 2014

Is anyone willing to share their pay rate per chart for outpatient remote contract coding? I am also curious if you ever get an increase in your pay rate or is this renegotiated in your contract. ...

Please Do Not Call Yourself Coders Yet
Mar 21, 2014

Some of us have worked REALLY hard to get where we are, and it is kind of an insult to that.  I am happy for you, truly I am, but really . . .  would a nursing assistant call themselves an RN?  Perhaps you will understand why when you get through all of your training.  Secondly, I can only attest to where I work, as an outpatient coder.  I do not make $30 an hour and never will.  Not close that.  So unless M*Modal pays so much more than a hospital (and they sur ...

Suggestions For New MM Coders!
Mar 23, 2014

I'll start off with some office supply suggestions. Code books have really thin pages,  and really teeny writing, so you will want to highlight a FEW choice items.  This has to be done *modestly* without ruining them.   Regular highlighters will bleed through.   Too much highlighting and note-writing will ruin them. AHIMA and AAPC have different requirements for writing in books.  Be sure to review that before you staple, paste, glue, tape, write, or highlight. &n ...

Do You Think MM Could Work Their Coders Like They
Sep 19, 2014

They are usually trained to do only one particular type of report, not everything, and so they are not really trained as MTs. Can coding for institutions be broken down like that?  I had a friend who worked as a coder at a local hospital.  All she was given to do was outpatient ERs, and the "real" coders did all the inpatient work. Being MM, I'm sure they can make your training as "coders" almost worthless. ...

Do Any Of You Work As Coders From Home?
Jan 20, 2010

I was wondnering if any of you work as coders from home. ...

Questioon For Working Coders
Feb 07, 2010

How many of you who are working coders work in only one specialty, such as cardiolgy or orthopedics, etc. How many of you do ALL specialties? How many do out-patient vs. acute care (hospital) coding? I'm not sure if there are really many working coders on here, but if you are here, thanks in advance for the information. I'm always interested in learning more. ...

Entry Level Coders
Apr 05, 2010

I was wondering if anybody knew of any companies that hire entry level coders.  I went to school and got my CCA certificate, but have never done coding in a clinical setting.  I'm also a medical transcriptionist with 20 years experience. ...

What Hours Do Coders Work?
May 20, 2010

This may be a dumb question - Do coders work various shifts or usually just during the day? Do they work weekends? Is there ever a need for a chart to be coded "stat" like there is with MT? Do any coders work part time? Thanks for any info. ...

Question For Coders Out There And Redpen Please
Oct 27, 2010

We are being QA'ed into oblivion at our facility.  We have our RAC audits, our internal QA, and an outside agency that does QA audits on each coder.  We are constantly in a QA cycle for someone, and it is getting to be so tiring.  Each reviewer sees things a little differently so one thing may be correct for our internal QA but an error for our external.  Can't win.  Anyway, I am currently doing outpatient coding.  Our facility uses EpicCare for clinical d ...

Does Every Doctor Office Have Coders?
Aug 04, 2011

Just curious.  And if so, do coders work as the primary billilng person as well or do they having a billing person and a coder.  I don't see too many jobs advertised for coders so I was wondering... maybe not all have them. ...

Would One Of You Coders Go Over To The Main Board
Dec 23, 2011

There is a poster there who is posting blatantly wrong information about coding. Someone needs to post the correct information. I corrected one of the errors, but someone with more experience could probably do a better job of providing the facts. ...

Question For Working Coders Re ICD-10
Jan 13, 2012

I am considering coding as a career.  Are current coders being trained already in ICD-10?  Would I be expected to know how to code this way or will my employer supply the training?  I am willing to do the training on my own, but was wondering the time frame for implementation of ICD-10, so I can plan my training and job search accordingly.  Also what would this mean in terms of credentials?  CCS test to include both 9 and 10, or is this all too far in the future?  I ...

Background Check For Coders
Apr 12, 2012

I was wondering about what on a background check would prohibit one from getting a job as a coder at a hospital.  I know the obvious, but what about a misdemeanor DUI from the late 1980s on an otherwise clean-as-a-whistle record with someone who has great credit to boot?  Would that be a deal breaker?  The applicant would have the preferred credentials in place and would otherwise be a good candidate.     ...