A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hello coders! - jan

Posted: Dec 21, 2009

Where are you all?  Enjoying your work? 

Hi Jan, I'd like to hear from the coders, too! : ) - elaine

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe they don't know we're here.

we coders! - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi. I am one of those coders. I had been thinking it odd there was nothing on this forum when it had been used a lot on the "old" board. If you have questions, post away.

Im here. - emils

[ In Reply To ..]
I am new here. So how does this work? I am a new grad and looking for a job. Anyone have any advice, email me at emils134@yahoo.com thanks.
Coders - Steph
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been interested in this field for quite a while. I have been an MT for 15+ years and am just curious as to whether or not it is worth learning this field - with docs using their inhouse staff,etc..

thanks for any info, good or bad - as long as it is truthful! (:
getting into coding - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
In the next few years the demand for coders is expected to increase significantly as ICD 10 is adopted in the US. I am sure you could find actual projections in the US Occupational Outlook. I know the anticipated increase in openings is a pretty big number but don't recall exactly what it was. But do your research before making a blind leap. Make sure you know what you are getting. Coding is not the piece of cake some of the ads would have you believe. It is intense and requires a great deal of knowledge of A&P, disease processes, pharmacology, etc., and also good analytical skills as we sort throughout mountain's of physician documentation, often conflicting or confusing documentation. Doctor's office may use their in-house staff, but physician's offices are not usually the target setting for a coder. generally, you would be looking to hospitals or surgery centers or the like. Personally, I work for coding's equivalent of an MTSO and am contracted to a very large teaching facility in the midwest. I work from my home and access their facility remotely as do most of the coders for our company. We work for hospitals nationwide as well as a few small surgery centers. Coding is very demanding and with ICD10 will be more so as it will be more concise. The pressure can be pretty great, the stress level high. coding drives billing (although it is not responsible for billing as so many people think) so, of course, the facilities are looking for very close turnaround times. Secondly, the implications of coding errors can be very great due the watchdogs who oversee us for fraud and abuse. The govt is very involved in Medicare/Medicaid oversight as are the private insurers. If you do decide on coding as a career move, please be sure to attend a reputable and certified education program. Do not go with these fly-by-night places currently advertising on TV and radio. AHIMA's website has a state-by-state listing of accredited programs and distance learning programs. hope this helps.
Currently Studying Coding - new student
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi all. I am currently taking a coding course through Career Step. I have also been a MT for 5 years, but always wished I had taken coding instead of MT; so now I am.

Seems to be taking me forever to get going with it, but it appears to be a great course so far.

I may be on here asking for support/assistance frequently.

Nice to meet everyone.
Action! - Zs
[ In Reply To ..]
Glad to see people here! Cj, is it much better going through an electronic chart than the physical one (with handwriting)? Do you find the documentation still not all there? What if you have to query, how does that work? I am sure you have to have specific fast internet service for that company? I am stuck with satellite.
your questions.... - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think the format, i.e., an electronic versus paper record, really makes a huge difference but the way the facility uses the EMR does. Ours sucks. In our system docs can cut and paste old notes into new visits and then add to them. Problem is they forget to edit the old ones so you have so much conflicting info. They also often use this cut and paste to order ancillary services so medical necessity is out the window. They might order a PSA and enter their visit diagnoses from their clinic visit, such as hypertension or something totally unrelated instead of having to put a reason that actually is appropriate for the test being ordered. Or if the patient's visit had, say, 8 or 10 diagnoses, they will copy them all as the lab order. A good system would not allow this cut and paste. Our queries are still done on paper and faxed to them and they fax back their responses. We are looking into an electronic method but have not had much success thus far. As far as our internet service, I do have cable, but I know we have people using DSL and satellite service. I guess that would depend on the demands or your employer. My fear with the EMR is that one day they will use the diagnoses that the providers enter to replace the coders; it won't be accurate but it'll be cheaper. It will go the way of voice recognition in MT. I know there are companies working on this right now in their encoder software. It is called computer assisted coding (CAD).
EMR - Zs
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, this is not the news I wanted to hear. It sounds like one big mess and worse! The EMR system should include a template that prompts them to input info into certain correct areas or some such device, (a shock device maybe!). It should be making things better not worse. I hope this is not the way it goes everywhere. Though I am glad to hear some use satellite. Thanks for answering.
Coding Education - DJ
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi Coders! I have been an MT for 9 years, and have considered getting my CMT. However, the more I read on various posts about MTs the more I think maybe coding is where I want to go. Where did you all get your schooling for this? Online, or in an institution or training facility? Is one better than the other? Thanks for listening!
education... - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
I got mine through a community college, which had a distance learning (online) program. I did however, go on campus for the actual coding classes. Just did the other stuff online. facility training, as in on the job, is a done deal. No facility is going to do it. It is too labor intensive, tine consuming and costly to take the time to train someone to code. There are online schools, but be very careful of what you are paying and getting in return. Like MT, a lot of them are useless. I would again urge you to check out the AHIMA website, where they have a list of schools with accredited programs. Good luck to you.
I'm here too!! - Chree77
[ In Reply To ..]
I am looking for a job also!! Email me at chree77@msn.com Any information would be greatly appreciated!

My Question - Robert

[ In Reply To ..]
I have heard that coding is a much higher end activity than MT,is it true and what it entails?
not sure what you mean but... - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
What do you mean by higher end activity? Do you mean in terms of difficulty, compensation, or what exactly do you mean?
Yes both of them - Robert
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes i meant both,complexity and compensation.
Complexity of coding - J
[ In Reply To ..]
There are guidelines to follow. Guidelines for inpatient, guidelines for outpatient, and guidelines for Medicare which are different from other insurers. You must know these guidelines. There are codes for everything, but just looking up a code is so far from what a coder does. That is only the basic idea. Codes change every year and guidelines are added or change every year. You are continuously keeping up with the changes, continuously researching so you understand what is correct. You code from documentation in the chart. Doctors don’t think along the path of a code book. They sometimes don’t document important information that is needed to complete a code. They often think it is obvious, and it may be, but we can’t use it unless it is documented (written in the chart). Then we must query the doctor. There are rules, ethics, and guidelines that go with querying also that you must know. Documentation is also sometimes very clear, but the cluster of codes you want to use may not be. In CPT, some procedures automatically include another procedure, (bundled) even though they are documented as separate. I have found guidance on this sorely lacking and have to stop and research every day and end up without a clear answer. Sometimes rules sound as if they contradict each other. They are not clear cut or written out to be followed to the T. Sometimes the language alone in the explanations takes a few reads before you know that the heck they are saying. Coding is never-ending study, research, and banging your head against a wall. There are some triumphant successes when it all flows and works. If you love the process, you’ll thrive. If not, you will move on.
your questions - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
I do believe coding is much more complex and difficult. It requires a thorough knowledge of disease processes that would be much more in depth that that required for MT as well as a real understanding of pathophysiology and pharmacology. A coder must also know and understand the official coding guidelines, things like what codes can or cannot be used together, which codes require a second code, which codes have to be or may not be used as a principle or secondary diagnosis, as well as sequencing rules. Plus interpreting what is documented can be very challenging. Additionally, the scrutiny can be overwhelming, the consequences very significant. We have internal QA, external QA (an outside company comes in and audits) and constant reviews by payors, Medicare and Medicaid being the biggest sticklers, and then most insurance companies will follow whatever polices are set by those two looking for ways to not pay! Compensation, however, is very subjective. I know some MTs who can do a couple of hundred lines an hour and make very good money and some who don't do so well. Coding is usually paid by the hour so you know what to expect. Generally, I would say coding is probably better compensated. I know that is definitely true if you are looking at an hourly MT wage versus an hourly coding wage. basically all places will also require a coder to be credentialed so you have a constant requirement for CEs (I need 15 CEs per year) plus credential maintenance. While facilities used to cover these costs, many, if not all, have used the current economic situation, to transfer the burden of these costs to the coders themselves. Coding presents some very real challenges, but for those who love it, it can be really a rewarding job. For right now, I also think it is probably more secure than the MT field. Who knows what the future will bring? The advent of ICD10 in the US will create a huge demand for additional qualified coders as a lot of older coders will not stick around for the transition and the increased level of expertise required will create new demands.
What terrific answers. Thanks so much. I've probably - MissIndigo
[ In Reply To ..]
learned more about coding work, short version, from this thread than from all discussion before.

I've been wanting to take a basic coding class or two to broaden my skills a tad as insurance for the future but, since I'm editing now and have no actual plan to move to coding itself, I don't want to take it so soon it'd all be forgotten before it might be useful. From your descriptions, though, I do think I'd enjoy the brain work "over there." :)
What do you mean? "End activity?" What's that?...nm - whaaa?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

The Best Coders
Jan 31, 2010

I would love to get the point of view of others on this topic. I've been watching coders for years, our graduates and others. I've found from my own experience that the best coders are people who enjoy more structure than one might find in medical transcription, for example. People who enjoy accounting, bankers, medical office managers, many nurses, and sometimes burned-out MTs. If you have 10 medical transcriptionists transcribe a report, you may have that many different versions, ea ...

For VA Coders
Jan 18, 2012

requirements say that education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  If we did not attend an accredited school, can we still apply?  It says applicants must only report attendance or degrees from such.  So, don't bother reporting if you didn't attend an accredited school?  How's that work? ...

Coders-is There A Way
Jan 22, 2012

to check out coding and what it is all about before going through a course. I am interested in doing coding but am unsure if it is right for me. Thank you for your thoughts and input. ...

Hey Coders!
Aug 21, 2013

Two, actually, if that's alright... 1. What do you love most about your job? 2. If you weren't a coder, what would you be? There is no real reason behind my questions -- no ulterior motive as it were -- just plain ole curiosity. ...

What I Want To Know For All You New Coders,
Mar 22, 2014

You better be learning the ICD-10.  It starts in October.  Hopefully you are not just learning ICD-9, because that will be all gone soon.  I would ask about the ICD-10, if you are not learning the new up and coming codes, it sounds like this company will use you and then throw you away.  ...

Coders
Aug 20, 2014

How did the coding program work out for those of you "aces" that got in?  I would love to get into coding..I am really getting to where I hate transcription and seriously considering heading for the door..in fact I have applications and resumes circulating and am really hoping for a change. ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Some Questions For Those Who Are Already Coders:
Aug 31, 2010

I spent the better part of today looking at jobs other than MT.  Although very few hospitals had openings for MTs (they probably don't even have an MT Dept. anymore), there were coder jobs at almost every facility.  None of the ads I looked at gave a wage.  What does an experienced (5+ years) coder usually make?  Are you paid on production, or by the hour?  Is coding done on a computer?  What sort of software is used, and in your own experience, is it better t ...

How Are Coders Paid?
Jul 15, 2011

I am going to apply for the coding program at my local community college.  I have just finished the required prerequisite courses.  I have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years and am having to start over at 60.  Could you please tell me if coders are paid by the hour or are they paid piece work?  I'm also wonder if you think there will be jobs to be had after going through school.  Thanks! ...

Where Do Most Of You Work As Coders?
Oct 20, 2011

Do most of you work in hospitals and clinics or at home? ...

Is There Is A Job Board For Coders?
Oct 27, 2011

Where do coders go to look for remote and/or in-house jobs? Thanks ...

Question For Coders ...
Dec 15, 2011

Just visiting your board to ask a question out of ignorance. I'm an MT working for a hospital, doing straight transcription. There's been a growing trend for the hospitalists to dictate absolutely HUGE, long H&Ps/discharges ... including every stinkin' lab test and diagnostic procedure the patient has had for the last decade, it seems. Most of the reports are walls o' text, as these docs go on and on and bleepin' ON for at least four to five pages of transcribed dic ...

Question For MTs-to-Coders
Jan 17, 2012

Hi all you MTs-to-Coders!  I am curious to know why you left MT for coding? Burnout? Better suited to your personality? Better pay? Also, in conjuction to that, what kind of MT eduction did you have? Learn on the job? School? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to go into MT or coding--I'm leaning toward MT through Andrews right now (for numerous reasons), but am looking for a perspective from the other end of the tunnel, so to speak. Thanks! ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Question For Coders...
May 20, 2013

I'm currently an MT for many years, in the process of enrolling to take a coding program at a community college (waitlisted at the moment).  I've done much research before making this decision, but have never spoken to someone who actually works in coding.  I have some general questions regarding what you think of the profession -- do you like your job? If so, what is it that you like? Do you find it at all monotonous or is there some variety in what you do? I wonder if it ma ...

Outsourcing Coders
May 24, 2013

With all of this outsourcing of MT/Editors, what does the future look like for medical coders?  I have heard that Nuance has developed software to "assist" the coder.  My concern is that it is going to REPLACE the coder.  Any thoughts?  ...

A Question For Coders, Please
Aug 09, 2013

Now that I am nearing the end of my coding course, which teaches both inpatient and outpatient coding, I am starting to wonder just how different it is in the "real" coding world compared to what I've been studying. I knew studying coding was going to be difficult and I have excellent grades, but I wonder how this level of difficulty compares to coding on the job. Thank you for any input! ...

Remote Coders
Jan 17, 2014

Is anyone willing to share their pay rate per chart for outpatient remote contract coding? I am also curious if you ever get an increase in your pay rate or is this renegotiated in your contract. ...

Please Do Not Call Yourself Coders Yet
Mar 21, 2014

Some of us have worked REALLY hard to get where we are, and it is kind of an insult to that.  I am happy for you, truly I am, but really . . .  would a nursing assistant call themselves an RN?  Perhaps you will understand why when you get through all of your training.  Secondly, I can only attest to where I work, as an outpatient coder.  I do not make $30 an hour and never will.  Not close that.  So unless M*Modal pays so much more than a hospital (and they sur ...

Suggestions For New MM Coders!
Mar 23, 2014

I'll start off with some office supply suggestions. Code books have really thin pages,  and really teeny writing, so you will want to highlight a FEW choice items.  This has to be done *modestly* without ruining them.   Regular highlighters will bleed through.   Too much highlighting and note-writing will ruin them. AHIMA and AAPC have different requirements for writing in books.  Be sure to review that before you staple, paste, glue, tape, write, or highlight. &n ...

Do You Think MM Could Work Their Coders Like They
Sep 19, 2014

They are usually trained to do only one particular type of report, not everything, and so they are not really trained as MTs. Can coding for institutions be broken down like that?  I had a friend who worked as a coder at a local hospital.  All she was given to do was outpatient ERs, and the "real" coders did all the inpatient work. Being MM, I'm sure they can make your training as "coders" almost worthless. ...

Do Any Of You Work As Coders From Home?
Jan 20, 2010

I was wondnering if any of you work as coders from home. ...

Questioon For Working Coders
Feb 07, 2010

How many of you who are working coders work in only one specialty, such as cardiolgy or orthopedics, etc. How many of you do ALL specialties? How many do out-patient vs. acute care (hospital) coding? I'm not sure if there are really many working coders on here, but if you are here, thanks in advance for the information. I'm always interested in learning more. ...

Entry Level Coders
Apr 05, 2010

I was wondering if anybody knew of any companies that hire entry level coders.  I went to school and got my CCA certificate, but have never done coding in a clinical setting.  I'm also a medical transcriptionist with 20 years experience. ...

What Hours Do Coders Work?
May 20, 2010

This may be a dumb question - Do coders work various shifts or usually just during the day? Do they work weekends? Is there ever a need for a chart to be coded "stat" like there is with MT? Do any coders work part time? Thanks for any info. ...

Question For Coders Out There And Redpen Please
Oct 27, 2010

We are being QA'ed into oblivion at our facility.  We have our RAC audits, our internal QA, and an outside agency that does QA audits on each coder.  We are constantly in a QA cycle for someone, and it is getting to be so tiring.  Each reviewer sees things a little differently so one thing may be correct for our internal QA but an error for our external.  Can't win.  Anyway, I am currently doing outpatient coding.  Our facility uses EpicCare for clinical d ...

Does Every Doctor Office Have Coders?
Aug 04, 2011

Just curious.  And if so, do coders work as the primary billilng person as well or do they having a billing person and a coder.  I don't see too many jobs advertised for coders so I was wondering... maybe not all have them. ...

Would One Of You Coders Go Over To The Main Board
Dec 23, 2011

There is a poster there who is posting blatantly wrong information about coding. Someone needs to post the correct information. I corrected one of the errors, but someone with more experience could probably do a better job of providing the facts. ...

Question For Working Coders Re ICD-10
Jan 13, 2012

I am considering coding as a career.  Are current coders being trained already in ICD-10?  Would I be expected to know how to code this way or will my employer supply the training?  I am willing to do the training on my own, but was wondering the time frame for implementation of ICD-10, so I can plan my training and job search accordingly.  Also what would this mean in terms of credentials?  CCS test to include both 9 and 10, or is this all too far in the future?  I ...

Background Check For Coders
Apr 12, 2012

I was wondering about what on a background check would prohibit one from getting a job as a coder at a hospital.  I know the obvious, but what about a misdemeanor DUI from the late 1980s on an otherwise clean-as-a-whistle record with someone who has great credit to boot?  Would that be a deal breaker?  The applicant would have the preferred credentials in place and would otherwise be a good candidate.     ...