A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TO: Current MM coders NOT TRAINEES - L&L

Posted: Aug 23, 2014

I don't know why people want to rip me a new one over this, but

I would simply like to know if Mmodal treats it current coder employees (NOT ITS TRAINEES) any better than its treats ts MTs.

How may pay cuts have you had in the last 5 years?

How many benefits have you had cut?

What kiind of audit percentage do you have to meet?

Do you have a form of performance manages that cuts your salary in half?

Are you happy working as a coder for Mmodal?

Would you recommend Mmodal to any other coder as an employer?

It's good to see someone finally asking these - questions. Up to now it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
seemed like everyone just assumes that the Squid will treat its coder employees different than it's treated its MT employees up to now. Somehow I just don't see their past employer history suddenly doing an about-face. I predict they'll crush their coders the same way they did their MTs.

JMHO

given that this is an MT website - not a coding website

[ In Reply To ..]
you are unlikely to have anyone come here and post that is/was not an MT at some time, therefore not able to answer your questions.

Good luck, though.

Agree - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Exactly ... unless an MM coder had been an MT *and* knew about MTStars, they would not know about this board to come here.

There are few MM coders because their coding business is not very significant, making the likelihood of the above even less.

I have never seen anyone here who said they were a coder for MM. Maybe you will luck out, though.

coding - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is very significant! I don't do the job, but it made a huge difference some years ago... my husband had an EMS ride that didn't get covered by insurance. He was unconscious, had near-stroke, pneumonia, & other problems, so there's no way I could've transported him. The job was coded as "needed a ride to hospital" or something like that. Talked to EMS dept, got the trip report, found out the coding, talked to insurance. They never did cover that ride or any other since then. After 3 uncovered rides, didn't call 911 anymore. Couldn't afford to, would get help loading him into the car, would drive him myself. If bills are coded right, then insurance is more likely to cover necessary care. In our case, it means getting to the hosp faster than I can get him there, but we can't afford $1500 to $2500 that his trips usually cost. Fortunately, he's no longer sick & hasn't needed 911 in awhile.
No one said coding was not significant - Good grief!
[ In Reply To ..]
No one said coding was not significant! The post said MM's coding BUSINESS was not significant , in other words, not very large.

Glad your husband is doing better.
oops - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Guess I got touchy on the subject. That was a very bad, expensive year & only because of coding difficulty. Couldn't get the code changed, so we had bills that were hard to pay. It's become a pet peeve of mine to have records goofed up when it shouldn't be that way. Ok, off my soapbox now. :)
Explanation - for those codes
[ In Reply To ..]
Your situation was unfortunate. It sounds like it was denied on appeal, which tells me the carrier felt the codes were correct. That means this was not a "coding problem."

Policies typically pay only when the service is medically necessary. The ambulance company is obligated to use the codes that correctly reflect the situation. If the patient legitimately needs the service to prevent death or bodily harm, the codes reflect that. If the patient just can't be gotten into the car, the codes have to reflect that.

The ambulance company can't change the codes to get payment. They can be banned by the carrier if they do, as well as being charged with federal crimes.

You, however, can disagree and submit medical documentation in an appeal to the carrier. If the documentation supports your claim, they will pay.

It is exactly the same as going to a doctor with a sniffle and expecting him to code it as pneumonia so your insurance will pay for it.

Fraud is a crime. To you, it might have seemed like just changing some codes to get it paid. To them, however, it was fraud. It was also easily discoverable fraud. The carrier has a right to see the ambulance and the hospital records. If the company changed the codes and the records did not justify it, they would have been charged with a crime.
thanks - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the input. His situation was critical. The EMS crew called the hosp & told them his condition. The hosp was too busy with incoming from another hosp & told them to take him to the next one. The crew told them they had to bring him because he might not make it to the next place. The staff treated him in a hallway, but they got to him quickly. I read the crew's report. I was confused about why it got coded it the way it did when the report said his condition was bad & what was going on. He was pretty much unconscious, but he had several things going wrong at the same time. I didn't know changing the code could be interpreted as fraud, & it was never explained that way. Either way, the code was wrong & I got stuck with a huge bill to pay because of it. I couldn't get anybody to understand the situation. It's still a head-shaker to me. Because this happened 3 times in about a year, we made the decision not to call 911 anymore. When he had a stroke later, my teen son & I got him into the car & I drove him to the hosp. It should've been a 911 call, but we can't pay another huge bill like that again. It sucks when you have to make that kind of choice. We have constant medical bills. 911 is a necessary service, but it's the only one our insurance has had a problem with, so it's a service we no longer use. It's too bad. Again, thanks for explaining the situation from the "other side". It does help fill in some gaps of comprehension.
Suggestion - for next time
[ In Reply To ..]
Changing codes to get something paid isn't just "could be interpreted as fraud," it IS fraud.

Does your carrier actually pay for ambulance services? At all? Medicare does pay for medically-necessary transport and requires ambulance companies to accept assignment. That means that they only get what Medicare allows. If they can get Medicare to say it is a noncovered service, then they might be able to charge you a whopping amount more than that. Or maybe the owner's dimbulb daughter-in-law does the billing and just plops the same codes on every claim.

If your carrier actually pays for ambulance services, and if the situation is as you described, you have a valid complaint against the company.

See if there are any coders in your area who do medical bill review. If they think the coding is wrong, file a complaint.

Note: Do not ask them to "change the codes." TELL them to "code it correctly ... this should be xyz." You have to know what the codes should be, because they clearly don't.

covered - me
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, ambulance rides are covered, had been covered until this one year when the insurance suddenly stopped covering it. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to learn some of the codes in case something like this happens again. I tried to get it changed "to get it paid" because it was a covered event per their own description of eligible events. I have no interest in fraud. Oh well. The bill is paid now & I have no idea if EMS would be covered now for him since we don't call anymore.

Similar Messages:

Question For Current Coders
May 13, 2014

Have coding processes changed recently at your facilities?  I work for a very large hospital, a level I trauma center and teaching facility.  I work on the outpatient side.  We have strict productivity guidelines not only in terms of charts per hour but also percentage of productive time.  Our volumes are huge and are supposed to be coding within 1.5 to 2 days post discharge.  It seems like they have found more and more ways to cut corners in order to push more charts ou ...

Current Coders - Please Share Your Opinion
Apr 12, 2010

I have been a MT for years, but am ready to change careers. Do you think coding is going to be in the same position as MT some years down the road or do you feel coding is stable career choice, and coders will always be needed? ...

What Does MModal's Announcement Mean For Current Coders
Mar 13, 2014

There are many of us who left places like that to be coders and don't want to go back. ...

Considering Coding School. Can Some Current Coders Please Tell Me - Sm
Jan 06, 2015

why coding would not eventually be replaced by electronic systems in the future?  Do they not have software that can pick out words from the text and assign the codes?  What does a coder do that cannot be automated by a machine?  Please don't think I am being insulting.  I know very little about coding and have just started researching it.  I am an MT for 20+ years. ...

Transcend Trainees, How Is Everything Going...sm
Dec 22, 2011

Just trying to get an idea what will be going on when I start 12/27.  Please update if you can.  Thanks! I'm getting anxious! ...

Mmodal Trainees
Apr 02, 2014

Or just ICD-10-CM ...

Transcend Trainees, How Did Today Go?...sm
Dec 20, 2011

I start 12/27, so I would love to hear how day 1 of training went.  I know there were at least a few starting today.  Especially the BeyondTXT platform.  Thanks!  Hope you all had a great day!   ...

Request To The New MM Coding Trainees...
Mar 24, 2014

please keep the rest of us MM coding trainee hopefuls the next time it is offered updated on how the training is going. How hard it is, if you have to study on your off hours, is the MM training good and organized, etc. Good luck to all of you and please keep the rest of us hopefuls posted on how it's going. ...

To East MT And All Other MM Coder Trainees...
Apr 06, 2014

would you please come back here occasionally and update us on how things are going? I would love to know how this program works and how you all feel about it. I understand how posting on here you get attacked by rude people but I'm not one of them and would honestly like to hear your perspective on this program. A big thank you if you choose to keep us updated but I understand if you don't. Good luck to all of you. ...

Any Coder Trainees Out There - Just Got Back From
May 30, 2015

about the program being restarted?? What is going on?? of course its the weekend so I doubt I will be able to get answers from management ...

12/27 Transcend Trainees, It's Been A Month, Whatcha Think?...nm
Jan 27, 2012

:) ...

A Couple Of Questions For The MM Coding Trainees
Apr 01, 2014

(1)  Do you only fail if you fail a final at the end of the course, or are there tests throughout the course you have to pass to continue on? I assume if you do not pass a test to pass on, they cannot charge you for the course. (2)  Did they ever tell you how much that would be?  After all, it is not a credentialed for-profit coding school, they are probably using their already in-house employees as instructors, and they aren't providing any high dollar book material.  ...

MM Coder Trainees - Question Re: Schedule
Apr 02, 2014

What sort of schedule options were you given for after completion of the training phase and the apprenticeship phase?  Is it M-F, night/days, holidays? Thanks for satiating a bit of curiousity.   ...

Hello Coders!
Dec 21, 2009

Where are you all?  Enjoying your work?  ...

The Best Coders
Jan 31, 2010

I would love to get the point of view of others on this topic. I've been watching coders for years, our graduates and others. I've found from my own experience that the best coders are people who enjoy more structure than one might find in medical transcription, for example. People who enjoy accounting, bankers, medical office managers, many nurses, and sometimes burned-out MTs. If you have 10 medical transcriptionists transcribe a report, you may have that many different versions, ea ...

For VA Coders
Jan 18, 2012

requirements say that education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  If we did not attend an accredited school, can we still apply?  It says applicants must only report attendance or degrees from such.  So, don't bother reporting if you didn't attend an accredited school?  How's that work? ...

Coders-is There A Way
Jan 22, 2012

to check out coding and what it is all about before going through a course. I am interested in doing coding but am unsure if it is right for me. Thank you for your thoughts and input. ...

Hey Coders!
Aug 21, 2013

Two, actually, if that's alright... 1. What do you love most about your job? 2. If you weren't a coder, what would you be? There is no real reason behind my questions -- no ulterior motive as it were -- just plain ole curiosity. ...

What I Want To Know For All You New Coders,
Mar 22, 2014

You better be learning the ICD-10.  It starts in October.  Hopefully you are not just learning ICD-9, because that will be all gone soon.  I would ask about the ICD-10, if you are not learning the new up and coming codes, it sounds like this company will use you and then throw you away.  ...

Coders
Aug 20, 2014

How did the coding program work out for those of you "aces" that got in?  I would love to get into coding..I am really getting to where I hate transcription and seriously considering heading for the door..in fact I have applications and resumes circulating and am really hoping for a change. ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Some Questions For Those Who Are Already Coders:
Aug 31, 2010

I spent the better part of today looking at jobs other than MT.  Although very few hospitals had openings for MTs (they probably don't even have an MT Dept. anymore), there were coder jobs at almost every facility.  None of the ads I looked at gave a wage.  What does an experienced (5+ years) coder usually make?  Are you paid on production, or by the hour?  Is coding done on a computer?  What sort of software is used, and in your own experience, is it better t ...

How Are Coders Paid?
Jul 15, 2011

I am going to apply for the coding program at my local community college.  I have just finished the required prerequisite courses.  I have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years and am having to start over at 60.  Could you please tell me if coders are paid by the hour or are they paid piece work?  I'm also wonder if you think there will be jobs to be had after going through school.  Thanks! ...

Where Do Most Of You Work As Coders?
Oct 20, 2011

Do most of you work in hospitals and clinics or at home? ...

Is There Is A Job Board For Coders?
Oct 27, 2011

Where do coders go to look for remote and/or in-house jobs? Thanks ...

Question For Coders ...
Dec 15, 2011

Just visiting your board to ask a question out of ignorance. I'm an MT working for a hospital, doing straight transcription. There's been a growing trend for the hospitalists to dictate absolutely HUGE, long H&Ps/discharges ... including every stinkin' lab test and diagnostic procedure the patient has had for the last decade, it seems. Most of the reports are walls o' text, as these docs go on and on and bleepin' ON for at least four to five pages of transcribed dic ...

Question For MTs-to-Coders
Jan 17, 2012

Hi all you MTs-to-Coders!  I am curious to know why you left MT for coding? Burnout? Better suited to your personality? Better pay? Also, in conjuction to that, what kind of MT eduction did you have? Learn on the job? School? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to go into MT or coding--I'm leaning toward MT through Andrews right now (for numerous reasons), but am looking for a perspective from the other end of the tunnel, so to speak. Thanks! ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Question For Coders...
May 20, 2013

I'm currently an MT for many years, in the process of enrolling to take a coding program at a community college (waitlisted at the moment).  I've done much research before making this decision, but have never spoken to someone who actually works in coding.  I have some general questions regarding what you think of the profession -- do you like your job? If so, what is it that you like? Do you find it at all monotonous or is there some variety in what you do? I wonder if it ma ...

Outsourcing Coders
May 24, 2013

With all of this outsourcing of MT/Editors, what does the future look like for medical coders?  I have heard that Nuance has developed software to "assist" the coder.  My concern is that it is going to REPLACE the coder.  Any thoughts?  ...