A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coders-is there a way - anon

Posted: Jan 22, 2012

to check out coding and what it is all about before going through a course. I am interested in doing coding but am unsure if it is right for me. Thank you for your thoughts and input.

Good question - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
And I highly recommend you check it out some how before doing it. I wish I would have researched it more before I started my training for it. I realize now that coding isn't for me. I just finished my program and passed the CCS, but it's not what I want to do. So, research, research and then research the research!

Thanks - for

[ In Reply To ..]
sharing that! Interesting that you got as far as passing the CCS! Can you share with us why you don't like it? Is it different than what you thought it would be? Did you work for a while and find out it was different than school? If you can share, it will also help those wondering if it is right for them. Thanks.

I saw some books on coding on amazon.com - Maria

[ In Reply To ..]
I plan on getting one myself. So maybe if we read it we can get an idea of exactly what coding entails. Another idea is to look up medical coding on youtube, there's tons of videos there that explain what coding is all about.

I was thinking of... (sm) - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
I was thinking of joining AHIMA as a student and attending some local meetings to see what's what. Unlike AHDI, AHIMA is very active, SUPPORTIVE, and has lots of educational opportunities going. I am also thinking of asking our coding manager if I could sit in on a couple of their ongoing classes in the department (on my own time, of course). All our coders work from home, so shadowing one for a few hours is a bit sticky.

Before I got into transcription, I was a cancer registrar. I really enjoyed getting my geek on, looking up codes while surrounded in pathology reports and anatomy charts.

Another idea: YouTube - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
I look up everything on YouTube. I've done a quickie check, and there are videos there by coders about exactly what their job entails.

I also noted several vids about the coming of ICD-10 and what that will mean exactly.

If we start school now, timing will actually be on our side (for a change!!) as we'll be finishing up in and around the time ICD-10 will be rolling out.

My hospital's coding manager said once -- only half joking -- that a lot of coders, including herself, were just going to retire rather than deal with the beast that is ICD-10. Hellooo, opportunity!

Good idea - jm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am surprised you are the first person to ask this! I wonder when so many are jumping into coding if they know what they are getting into. I really didn’t understand the depth of coding until I was in it for a few years. I think everyone should check it out further before jumping in, but I don’t know exactly how one would go about it. I had a coder that I talked to before I went into it which helped some.

Suggestions - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are provider training materials on the CMS website. Medicare Learning Network. www dot cms dot gov That will give you insight into one aspect of it.

Look at DecisionHealth's website for resources coders use. They offer training bootcamps in several areas. These might not be right for you now, but you can see how we obtain new skills. The cost might shock you, but we pay it because the opportunities pay well.

Look at www dot zhealth dot com for interventional radiology resources. Note that Dr Z is a coder. This shows you that the work is not clerical. All his stuff is superb, by the way.

Go to www dot aapc dot com and see what is there. Find the listing of local chapters and call them. The phone number is right there. Attend a few of their monthly meetings. Arrive early and talk to some coders. They will all do different kinds of work. Note that the local chapter may offer training that may or may not be right for you.

AHIMA locals are active in some areas and not so good in others. Lots of stuff on their website.

Look at pages in several books on Amazon. You can see them online in many cases.

See if you can arrange to shadow a coder for a few hours. The AAPC chapter is one way. Also call the Health Information Management department at medical centers until you find someone who will talk to you. Be aware that we get calls like that quite often and they often try to talk us into jobs. We are wary of that. A lot of callers sound crazy, too. We also have serious HIPAA restrictions which prevent visitors, etc., but if you sound professional and have good questions about the work it helps.

One question you should not ask is what school they recommend for trainng. They do not know what is out there and may go with a local name whether it is good or not. One organization's members will feel obligated to recommend their programs. Because of where I work, I could say only something neutral, like "We have successful coders who trained in a variety of situations."

Warning! - Do not believe everything you hear

[ In Reply To ..]
I looked around and found that a scam school has one of these "Here's what coding is all about" ambush traps. What you read sounds very nice. It's probably copied from a code book.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go to someplace like Amazon and search for ICD-9 and/or CPT to find some of the books that allow you to 'look inside'. You aren't going to find much except a dictionary-like book. The fun in coding is being a researcher to find the one and only right code for that situation, or maybe more than one. You learn how to know the difference. Many coders don't know how to code, and that means their employers are often not paid for the work they do. I don't think you can find out much about the spirit of coding from looking at a book that is more like a dictionary. You don't learn English or Spanish, for example, by looking at a dictionary. It's what you do with it that makes the difference. That's why there are courses that teach you nothing but using the book like a dictionary and other courses that teach you to be a medical coder with credentials that tell everyone that you know what you're doing with those numbers that look so strange to lay people.

I wish I could/would have done that - tryingtohurryandfinishschool

[ In Reply To ..]
I sure wish I would have done that before jumping into coding. I knew it would be time consuming and complicated, but I am finding I am not going to have the patience to do it. I am only almost half way through with the coding program at Andrews, and while I don't blame Andrews' program at all, I just don't think I have the concentration level to do it, especially since ICD 10 will be out in a year and a half. It definitely takes a special kind of person to do coding and I sure do commend the ones who are. But, as soon as I finish with my course, I'm getting into something else. Sadly, it will require more schooling. Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

Suggestion - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
You might be jumping the gun a little, in my opinion. You have a slightly off-kilter expectation about coding, and making an assumption about ICD-10's effect on it when it is still far away might not be sensible. Making a decision halfway through a course isn't sensible, either.

First, if you are rushing to get finished, the RUSHING might be the problem. It might not be that too much concentration is required, but that you cannot concentrate at all because you are too busy trying to hurry. And you wouldn't be able to concentrate in any field if you were rushing that much.

Second, SCHOOL is not the actual WORK. The two are never the same. Lots of people don't like doing the schoolwork, but they realize that the actual job isn't quite like that.

Third, like most things, coding gets a lot easier once you gain experience and use it. It isn't going to require that kind of "concetration level" forever, and some coding jobs require a lot less than others.

Fourth, I do not know what kind of job you can get non-thinking schooling in. You will find that nearly everything requires concentration and attention. If you can't pay attention for coding, then you might be sorely disappointed in education for just about everything else. You will be unsuited for nearly everything in medicine, since nearly everything medical requires licensure. You can't get that licensure by being mentally absent throughout the courses. Further, fully half of what you are learning now pertains to nearly everything you can do in the medical field. If you don't like it now, you aren't going to like it there.

I don't know how you learned to keyboard, but most people do not find typing classes particularly enjoyable. They find they have to concentrate and make an effort. However, they rarely drop out saying that they aren't cut out to keyboard because it requires too much concentration. They realize that it won't require that kind of concentration forever. Once they get out of class and start using a keyboard with computers, they forget how annoying the class was. They just start typing. It gets easier.

Can you think back on that? Or on learning to drive a car? Did you keep wanting to quit because it required too much concentration?

Coding gets easier. You won't have to concentrate that hard forever.

Something else . . . if you do have concentration problems, you might want to see a doctor. There can be many reasons behind a difficulty with concentration. Vitamin deficiencies, low blood sugar, medications, and even depression.

Now, if your problem is that your attention to detail is poor, that would be a very good reason to stay away from coding, because that is something that usually cannot be cured. Some people just see things on a more global basis. That's fine, and there are lots of jobs for those folks -- many of which would drive coders over the edge. If you are currently an MT, though, I would doubt that attention to detail is a problem.

Thank you for your suggestions - tryingtohurry

[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to say thank you for your suggestions and input. Yes, I do have concentration problems and was recently diagnosed with ADHD (had it since I was a child apparently), and now I am on medication for it. I've been making good grades in my coding classes, but I just don't think coding will be for me. I know I still have a while to go until I'm finished and maybe by then I might change my mind, but as of this point, I don't think I'm that "special" person. Don't get me wrong, what I do like about coding is the constant learning, but I do wish I would have really delved deeper in my research on it before jumping in and paying for the whole tuition.

But, again, I do appreciate your suggestions and input.

:)
Another suggestion - Been there, done that
[ In Reply To ..]
This is just a suggestion, but it worked for me and it has worked for other people.

Try a gluten-free diet. Actually, I did a gluten-free, casein-free diet, which worked so well within just a week or two that other people noticed before I did. Then this fog just lifted and I came out into the mental sunlight. Now I'm not a flit-brain anymore.

This is really easy to do if you want to do it. You can find tons of instructions on the net, including on Wikipedia. Good websites are Gluten-free Girl and Alana's Pantry. You don't have to be as obsessive at first as someone who is celiac, but my guess is that your results will be so excellent that you will become the Carrie Nation of demon gluten. Just like me.

If you do it right, you will save a fortune on processed foods. You will likely lose weight, bloat up less, and have better lab work next time you visit your doctor. You may notice that your joints don't ache, your nose isn't as stuffy, and . . . most remarkably . . . you may realize that you itched all the time before, had vague abdominal discomfort, and apparently had diarrhea, too, but now you don't.

Paleo all the way! - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I can concur with everything you said. I went Paleo (no grains, no dairy, no sugar, no corn) basically no processed food. I feel like a new person. I sleep very well, allergies are much better, plus my concentration is better too! I am in Andrews also learning coding. Many good websites on the Paleo diet. My favorites are The Clothes Make The Girl, Nom Nom Paleo, Everyday Paleo, Mark's daily apple and Dr. Jack Kruse's blog. The first 3 have amazing recipes and MDA is about the Paleo lifestyle in general, and Dr. Kruse talks about Paleo from the medical standpoint, amazing inspiring stuff. Also Whole9life.com, to do a 30-day challenge. It's only 30 days, what have you got to lose?
Thank you been there, done that! - tryingtohurry
[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to thank you so much for your idea. I will start researching all of this and see if I can try that. My son also has ADHD, (unmedicated) I would like to try this on him as well and see if it helps him too. I am willing to do anything to get rid of the fog and be able to concentrate. :)

Thank you!

Similar Messages:

Hello Coders!
Dec 21, 2009

Where are you all?  Enjoying your work?  ...

The Best Coders
Jan 31, 2010

I would love to get the point of view of others on this topic. I've been watching coders for years, our graduates and others. I've found from my own experience that the best coders are people who enjoy more structure than one might find in medical transcription, for example. People who enjoy accounting, bankers, medical office managers, many nurses, and sometimes burned-out MTs. If you have 10 medical transcriptionists transcribe a report, you may have that many different versions, ea ...

For VA Coders
Jan 18, 2012

requirements say that education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  If we did not attend an accredited school, can we still apply?  It says applicants must only report attendance or degrees from such.  So, don't bother reporting if you didn't attend an accredited school?  How's that work? ...

Hey Coders!
Aug 21, 2013

Two, actually, if that's alright... 1. What do you love most about your job? 2. If you weren't a coder, what would you be? There is no real reason behind my questions -- no ulterior motive as it were -- just plain ole curiosity. ...

What I Want To Know For All You New Coders,
Mar 22, 2014

You better be learning the ICD-10.  It starts in October.  Hopefully you are not just learning ICD-9, because that will be all gone soon.  I would ask about the ICD-10, if you are not learning the new up and coming codes, it sounds like this company will use you and then throw you away.  ...

Coders
Aug 20, 2014

How did the coding program work out for those of you "aces" that got in?  I would love to get into coding..I am really getting to where I hate transcription and seriously considering heading for the door..in fact I have applications and resumes circulating and am really hoping for a change. ...

Salary For Coders
Feb 02, 2010

What is the average hourly pay for coders?  How would you say the income compares with medical transcription.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 14+ years, and looking into coding.  I actually used to do some light coding and billing years ago, but it was for a OB/GYN practice back in the day. ...

Some Questions For Those Who Are Already Coders:
Aug 31, 2010

I spent the better part of today looking at jobs other than MT.  Although very few hospitals had openings for MTs (they probably don't even have an MT Dept. anymore), there were coder jobs at almost every facility.  None of the ads I looked at gave a wage.  What does an experienced (5+ years) coder usually make?  Are you paid on production, or by the hour?  Is coding done on a computer?  What sort of software is used, and in your own experience, is it better t ...

How Are Coders Paid?
Jul 15, 2011

I am going to apply for the coding program at my local community college.  I have just finished the required prerequisite courses.  I have been a transcriptionist for 30+ years and am having to start over at 60.  Could you please tell me if coders are paid by the hour or are they paid piece work?  I'm also wonder if you think there will be jobs to be had after going through school.  Thanks! ...

Where Do Most Of You Work As Coders?
Oct 20, 2011

Do most of you work in hospitals and clinics or at home? ...

Is There Is A Job Board For Coders?
Oct 27, 2011

Where do coders go to look for remote and/or in-house jobs? Thanks ...

Question For Coders ...
Dec 15, 2011

Just visiting your board to ask a question out of ignorance. I'm an MT working for a hospital, doing straight transcription. There's been a growing trend for the hospitalists to dictate absolutely HUGE, long H&Ps/discharges ... including every stinkin' lab test and diagnostic procedure the patient has had for the last decade, it seems. Most of the reports are walls o' text, as these docs go on and on and bleepin' ON for at least four to five pages of transcribed dic ...

Question For MTs-to-Coders
Jan 17, 2012

Hi all you MTs-to-Coders!  I am curious to know why you left MT for coding? Burnout? Better suited to your personality? Better pay? Also, in conjuction to that, what kind of MT eduction did you have? Learn on the job? School? I ask because I'm trying to decide whether to go into MT or coding--I'm leaning toward MT through Andrews right now (for numerous reasons), but am looking for a perspective from the other end of the tunnel, so to speak. Thanks! ...

Inpatient Coders
Mar 28, 2013

Deal with the RACs? Is your accuracy rate based on how many they say are in error?  How about the stress related to that?  ...

Question For Coders...
May 20, 2013

I'm currently an MT for many years, in the process of enrolling to take a coding program at a community college (waitlisted at the moment).  I've done much research before making this decision, but have never spoken to someone who actually works in coding.  I have some general questions regarding what you think of the profession -- do you like your job? If so, what is it that you like? Do you find it at all monotonous or is there some variety in what you do? I wonder if it ma ...

Outsourcing Coders
May 24, 2013

With all of this outsourcing of MT/Editors, what does the future look like for medical coders?  I have heard that Nuance has developed software to "assist" the coder.  My concern is that it is going to REPLACE the coder.  Any thoughts?  ...

A Question For Coders, Please
Aug 09, 2013

Now that I am nearing the end of my coding course, which teaches both inpatient and outpatient coding, I am starting to wonder just how different it is in the "real" coding world compared to what I've been studying. I knew studying coding was going to be difficult and I have excellent grades, but I wonder how this level of difficulty compares to coding on the job. Thank you for any input! ...

Remote Coders
Jan 17, 2014

Is anyone willing to share their pay rate per chart for outpatient remote contract coding? I am also curious if you ever get an increase in your pay rate or is this renegotiated in your contract. ...

Please Do Not Call Yourself Coders Yet
Mar 21, 2014

Some of us have worked REALLY hard to get where we are, and it is kind of an insult to that.  I am happy for you, truly I am, but really . . .  would a nursing assistant call themselves an RN?  Perhaps you will understand why when you get through all of your training.  Secondly, I can only attest to where I work, as an outpatient coder.  I do not make $30 an hour and never will.  Not close that.  So unless M*Modal pays so much more than a hospital (and they sur ...

Suggestions For New MM Coders!
Mar 23, 2014

I'll start off with some office supply suggestions. Code books have really thin pages,  and really teeny writing, so you will want to highlight a FEW choice items.  This has to be done *modestly* without ruining them.   Regular highlighters will bleed through.   Too much highlighting and note-writing will ruin them. AHIMA and AAPC have different requirements for writing in books.  Be sure to review that before you staple, paste, glue, tape, write, or highlight. &n ...

Do You Think MM Could Work Their Coders Like They
Sep 19, 2014

They are usually trained to do only one particular type of report, not everything, and so they are not really trained as MTs. Can coding for institutions be broken down like that?  I had a friend who worked as a coder at a local hospital.  All she was given to do was outpatient ERs, and the "real" coders did all the inpatient work. Being MM, I'm sure they can make your training as "coders" almost worthless. ...

Do Any Of You Work As Coders From Home?
Jan 20, 2010

I was wondnering if any of you work as coders from home. ...

Questioon For Working Coders
Feb 07, 2010

How many of you who are working coders work in only one specialty, such as cardiolgy or orthopedics, etc. How many of you do ALL specialties? How many do out-patient vs. acute care (hospital) coding? I'm not sure if there are really many working coders on here, but if you are here, thanks in advance for the information. I'm always interested in learning more. ...

Entry Level Coders
Apr 05, 2010

I was wondering if anybody knew of any companies that hire entry level coders.  I went to school and got my CCA certificate, but have never done coding in a clinical setting.  I'm also a medical transcriptionist with 20 years experience. ...

What Hours Do Coders Work?
May 20, 2010

This may be a dumb question - Do coders work various shifts or usually just during the day? Do they work weekends? Is there ever a need for a chart to be coded "stat" like there is with MT? Do any coders work part time? Thanks for any info. ...

Question For Coders Out There And Redpen Please
Oct 27, 2010

We are being QA'ed into oblivion at our facility.  We have our RAC audits, our internal QA, and an outside agency that does QA audits on each coder.  We are constantly in a QA cycle for someone, and it is getting to be so tiring.  Each reviewer sees things a little differently so one thing may be correct for our internal QA but an error for our external.  Can't win.  Anyway, I am currently doing outpatient coding.  Our facility uses EpicCare for clinical d ...

Does Every Doctor Office Have Coders?
Aug 04, 2011

Just curious.  And if so, do coders work as the primary billilng person as well or do they having a billing person and a coder.  I don't see too many jobs advertised for coders so I was wondering... maybe not all have them. ...

Would One Of You Coders Go Over To The Main Board
Dec 23, 2011

There is a poster there who is posting blatantly wrong information about coding. Someone needs to post the correct information. I corrected one of the errors, but someone with more experience could probably do a better job of providing the facts. ...

Question For Working Coders Re ICD-10
Jan 13, 2012

I am considering coding as a career.  Are current coders being trained already in ICD-10?  Would I be expected to know how to code this way or will my employer supply the training?  I am willing to do the training on my own, but was wondering the time frame for implementation of ICD-10, so I can plan my training and job search accordingly.  Also what would this mean in terms of credentials?  CCS test to include both 9 and 10, or is this all too far in the future?  I ...

Background Check For Coders
Apr 12, 2012

I was wondering about what on a background check would prohibit one from getting a job as a coder at a hospital.  I know the obvious, but what about a misdemeanor DUI from the late 1980s on an otherwise clean-as-a-whistle record with someone who has great credit to boot?  Would that be a deal breaker?  The applicant would have the preferred credentials in place and would otherwise be a good candidate.     ...