A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT India Group - Enough of these people

Posted: Dec 11, 2012

I would highly recommend the medical transcription community, as well as the physicians of the United States stay away from this company.  I will not post any further info here.  If you have a complaint against these people, PM me privately.

what the heck happened? - oh my

[ In Reply To ..]
??

Tried collecting more money than they were due... - Enough

[ In Reply To ..]
Not to mention contacting my client and asking for payment when they had nothing to do with it. Won't accept payment plan from the person who does owe the money. Constant garbage on and on and on. The bottom line is DON'T DO WORK WITH THESE PEOPLE, nothing good can come of it.

They were doing... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcription for you?
No... - Enough
[ In Reply To ..]
I subcontracted work to a person who subcontracted work to another person who subcontracted work to these people. Now they they my doctor should pay what is owed because that was the account they did work for. It's the person who hired the India group to make payment. Now, the guy is threatening to call patients and tell them what, I'm not sure. He has been calling my client which is not good business.
Subcontracting work - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
That's the problem with subcontracting work... you never know who's going to end up actually transcribing it. Be thankful that they are not threatening to release patient records online. As I'm sure you know, the privacy laws that apply to US transcriptionists are not the same laws that apply to overseas MTs. Once that work is offshored, the game changes. You may want to consider adding language to your contact that prohibits subcontractors from subcontracting the work, if you haven't already done so. I hope you are able to get it resolved.
yikes! Really hope you have - good insurance!
[ In Reply To ..]
worst case, if offshore MTs contact the doctor or patients, it's all going to come back to you, not a string of subcontractors. everybody can sue you directly for the breech. They can't touch offshore - they are out of enforceable jurisdiction of HIPAA, no matter what contract they may have signed. I'd be getting my checkbook out to pay those people and chalk it up to lesson learned for losing control of your work, and keep fingers crossed client doesn't fire you on the spot. good luck!
you got that seriously right! unbelievable. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Enough - Some info
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps a decade UCSF Medical Center in SF outsourced some MT work to a local small MT, who in turn subbed it to India or Pakistan or some such country. When the foreign MT was not paid on time, she sent a letter to UCSF, threatening to post patient records on the Internet. I am sure a Google search could get the details for you. It wasn't pretty. Yet another reason our work should not go out of the country.
It was Transcription Stat of San Francisco. - Former Transc. Stat Employee
[ In Reply To ..]
The owner did this kind of thing all the time. Very shady practices like having us all bump up our line counts by adding spaces at the end of every line (the software was in its infancy then and you could trick it). Transc. Stat had a HUGE contract with UCSF and after this happened, she lost it all. I suspect the company is no longer around but you know how this type of person is: Like a fungus, they pop up again and probably under a different name.
Transcription Stat - The anonymous listener
[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work for UCSF. This incident really caused untold trouble for many people. I wonder of the owner of TS is still in the biz?
Were the records actually pubished by the MT or did she just threaten? - Ex-Transcription Stat MT
[ In Reply To ..]
The whole incident happened a few years after I quit Transc. Stat so I never really heard the specifics except what I read in various newspaper sources. I have no idea whether the owner is in business still under a different name but she would be quit elderly so probably not. Anyway, if you want to share specifics, am just curious. I almost spat out my coffee one morning reading the newspaper long after I quit Transc. Stat and moved to another state and saw that name in the article! It was a SMALL company at the time. With I guess a lot more subcontractors than we realized!
Lubna Baloch redux. - see link to story inside
[ In Reply To ..]

Yep, it's all so much safer to offshore now, right. 

sounds like you need to keep a better handle on your work - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Do you not vet the people you subcontract to? If I sublet my apartment, I would not expect the subletter to sublet to another subletter, would you?
what you did does not represent good business practices - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

OP, you should pipe down about this before you get sued - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You brought this on yourself with unscrupulous, HIPAA noncompliant behavior. You will be lucky if your client does not take you to court for your breach of ethics.
OP - Been around a long time
[ In Reply To ..]
I sure hope you have good legal counsel. Have you ever heard of the "doctrine of Captain of the Ship?" YOU would be the captain.

When something like this happens - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to see someone go to a reporter at the NY Times or another large media outlet and tell them the story and the implications. I doubt the American public would be happy to know that foreign MT subcontractors are engaging in extortion and threatening to contact patients.

What's stopping YOU from making a call. You have a company - name. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

If I had all the evidence, I would make the call. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
All I have is that I read the OP's allegation about this company. While I believe the OP, a journalist will hardly take my word for information I received second-hand. The person involved is the one who will have documentation, specifics, etc.
So, email the OP. I am sure she would be happy to help you - turn these ppl in. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
A journalist might be happy to investitgate this for you. This is relevant - now, and would make a good story.SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Or is this another example of "they" should do something about this or "somebody" needs to report this. Always someone elses place to do the right thing, the hard work, never yours.
If it were me, the last thing I would want is - publicity
[ In Reply To ..]
Assuming I was that MT, the last thing I would want is publicity on this! It would still come right back to me as point of origin. Any patient of the client reading the story could rightfully sue her into bankruptcy, or worse a class action suit. Her name is probably already mud with the client, so I think she should take the financial hit and do whatever it takes to make right for the client, and move on. The transcription should have never gone offshore in the first place.
I'm not sure what part... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
of this story and not reporting it is not being understood. The person that would need to contact the media is the same person who allowed this work to be subcontracted, which resulted in the work going overseas. They really don't have a leg to stand on and, more importantly, they would set themselves up for problems with patients and the state health department. It would be different if it happened to a hospital directly.
To answer your question - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure if the "never yours" part of your post was directed specifically to me or referred to people in general. I'm acquainted with many legislators, journalists, attorneys, etc, for the very reason that I have not shied away from writing the letter or making the call when I thought something needed to be brought out into the light. In this case, though, and as I said before, I don't have first-hand knowledge or even all the facts.

In fact, I recently spoke to someone in my state government who is, in response to my inquiry, following up on an MTSO who has a contract with my state's government. Anyone in my state with a state government contract is prohibited from subcontracting work to anyone outside the US unless they can demonstrate that the work cannot reasonably be performed here. After doing some research into the MTSO, I thought there was good reason to believe that they are, indeed, offshoring their transcription. If that is the case, offshoring IS illegal in this instance.

I realize that often people don't want to get involved because they don't want to expend the energy or time to do the "the right thing, the hard work," but I don't feel that way.

It would be great... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
if someone did let the media know. The problem is that the person/organization who would need to contact them (the one being threatened by the Indian MTs) is the same person/organization who is responsible for allowing the work to go overseas. Does the American public have much sympathy for a hospital/contractor that allows this to happen? Why are our fellow Americans being so careless with our medical records that they would contract this work out to anybody and their cousin? I've always believed that if hospitals/physicians are allowed to present patients with a form explaining HIPAA and their supposed privacy practices to sign, patients should be allowed to present a form to their hospital/physician stating that we do not want our medical records handled in any way, shape or form by a company/individual overseas.

On that note... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think it would be all that difficult to create an awareness program that clues the American public into how our medical records are really being handled. If patients could legally present a form, as I said in my post above, stating that they do not allow overseas handling of their medical records, it could change many things. Of course, the choice would be theirs whether they would sign or not, but at least we would have some say as to how we (and our records) are treated.

the OP was in charge of the work - she lost control - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's hard for me to understand why so many people here are not placing responsibility where it rightfully belongs. The hospital/organization is not the entity responsible for this work ending up overseas. The OP is responsible for that.
The OP should - Buzz
[ In Reply To ..]
have her tail sued off.

Already had Indian MT post UCSF reports on line years ago - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
My friend worked for the lady who had the account (and subsequently lost it through no fault of her own), and she had too much work and subcontracted it, that person subcontracted it, and the last person subcontracted it to India, but didn't pay the MT in India. That MT got mad and threatened to plaster the reports all over the internet, can't remember if they actually did or not, but they did send the reports to the facility to prove they had them. It was written up in the SF Examiner but nothing changed, except the original owner lost the contract.

The transcriptionist was Pakistani, not Indian (nm) - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
x
yes and I understood the client went back to US-based MTSO - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
Really? I suspected the client (UCSF) took it back in house. Not true? - Former Transc. Stat employee
[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for the owner for years (Transcription Stat was the company). Very VERY shady practices all the way around. Not surprised this finally came back to bite her in the butt. So, UCSF went with another MTSO after Transc. Stat? Just curious. I'm actually out of the biz now (thank God!) but just curious about this.
Transcription stat - Former UCSF
[ In Reply To ..]
I am out, too, but a friend of mine who is a big poo-bah on Parnassus told me it was brought back in-house.
Not surprised. I suspected as much. - Ex Transcription Stat MT
[ In Reply To ..]
That account was a HUGE part of her business at the end as everything started to go south with moving transcription off shore and then VR and it must have been the death blow to her company. UCSF was difficult transcription with picky doctors and LOTS AND LOTS of medical terminology. I think she was charging 17 cents a line then and paying 13. Yeah, hard to believe. This was once a good job. So it was probably in the end cheaper to bring it back in house for UCSF who actually need transcription done correctly. Imagine that.

When something like this happens - Innocent bystander just asking

[ In Reply To ..]
How would you feel if you had AIDS or something like that and your records were plastered all over the Internet? And yes, UCSF no longer allows work to be sent overseas.

you want the press involved in this matter? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank about that for a second. I doubt the American public would be happy to know that the responsibility for this breach rests squarely on the shoulders of an American MT. Let's all thank her for advancing the collective professional reputation we have fought so hard to maintain.

This is the sort of corrupt behavior that may get MT back to the USA. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
India is one of the most corrupt nations on earth.

Solution - Nina

[ In Reply To ..]
Since it is your neck on line, what you should do is not pay YOUR subcontractor as he/she created the mess and then settle the issue with the Indian subcontractor directly. Pitch in your attorney to cover your ass through an agreement.

what are you talking about? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What behavior? There is nothing described in the post to which you are responding. Not for nothing, but calling India one of the most corrupt nations on earth is, at the very least, laughable.

India's govt and business practices are notorious for being corrupt. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They are actually more corrupt than China.

It's a fact. So sorry to have offended the poster who is obviously from India.
I am not obviously from India - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Anon, the OP is the one responsible for offshoring the work. Kindly read the thread. And don't assume someone is from India just because it suits your agenda. I am American. I have a vocabulary. I am not afraid to use it.

This is the sort of corrupt behavior that will kill - the independent MT

[ In Reply To ..]
All MTs should decry the practices this MT engaged in. You are doing all of us a disservice by turning this MTs egregious behavior into an anti-nationality thing. Sheesh already.

My biggest question would be.... - why subcontract the work...

[ In Reply To ..]
if you can't do it all yourself, don't take it on. subcontracting to subcontracting to and subcontracting to just sounds ridiculous to me! If one needed to subcontract the work, I think I would make sure that the FIRST subcontractor could actually do the work themselves and one should be aware of where they live and work. Subcontracting to three different contractors without the first person knowing where it is going is also a huge problem. I have never heard of such a thing. I would certainly appreciate having the extra work myself, but if I did not think I was able to do it within tat, I certainly would not take it and then subcontract it out to someone else. It just makes no sense, even on a business level. Look at how many contractors need to be paid all along the way and nobody knows where it ends up. I see big mistakes all along the line here, not just the end result.

Responsibility - k8

[ In Reply To ..]
Can't really blame the offshore MT - she hasn't been paid. But bottom line, responsibility lies with the MT with the account. The MT is the one the client will be looking to for answers and to solve this mess. You can't say "it wasn't me" and pass the buck to the next person in line and say you didn't know. Your JOB is to know where YOUR work is going and stay on top of it. Just my opinion, but your lack of responsibility just put another chink in the credibility of the rest of us. Pay her and resolve the issue quickly for YOUR client, as it's your name at stake and your responsibility. Then take it up with the other people who subcontracted.

I agree with that ... - biggest question

[ In Reply To ..]
It is the original account holder who should make sure the work is paid and then deal with all the others in between. It is not fair to the one who actually did the work not to be paid, no matter how many subcontractors were involved in between, even if she is in India.
Biggest question - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
Is why people think it is in any way, shape or form appropriate for confidential medical records to be sent out of the country to places where most times no privacy rights exist.
DO at my MTSO, said MTs just have access to body of report. No access - to pt info at all. Supervisors SM
[ In Reply To ..]
or management insert pt info and that kind of thing. But the minions, never see anything other than what they work with in the body of the report
OS MTs, that is. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Physicians still... - MT
[ In Reply To ..]
dictate patient names, DOB, facility names, PCP names, etc. Even if an MT only works on the body of the report, they still have access to more than enough information to create a privacy issue.

totally agree - very unscrupulous behavior on the part of the OP - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The OP is the one who should be farming out the work, not her subcontractors. And now she comes on a public message board to complain about it? Totally irresponsible behavior.

Totally agree - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It is totally NAIVE behavior. As someone else on here said, I hope she had good legal counsel.

I wonder why the OP has not been sued by her client! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously. If I had hired this MT, I would take her to court in a heartbeat.

Similar Messages:

MT Group India
Jun 19, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of MT Group India ?  I was contacted by them and I was wondering if this was a legit company. ...

We Should Make India Do All The Transcription - See How That Works For Ya,India.
Nov 06, 2010

Everybody leave Medquist....go get other work -- working at McDonald's pays more and has better benefits - at least you get to eat. And see how well India does all the transcription -- they can't do it -- we do the hard work and they get the cream.  We are sitting her dying with their bad machines and bad dictators. Let them have it -- they will corode. ...

My Group
Jan 29, 2015

I guess I'm the only one working in my group.  My volumes keep going up instead of down.  I'm only 1 person! Get with it folks! ...

Hey - If You Are In BR's Group
May 14, 2015

You can swap out your Memorial Day scheduled hours for Sunday, Thursday or Friday. Just a head's up!! ...

Group B Strep Or Group B Strep?
Jan 08, 2010

which is correct- group B strep or Group B Strep? thanks ...

Moretti Group
Feb 16, 2010

Has anyone heard of this company?  I looked through the archives and couldn't find anything.  Thanks for any information. ...

Concerns Group
Jan 29, 2011

I have grave concerns regarding our profession.  Many of you do as well.  I am not normally one who dwells on this sort of thing, but I have seen our profession go from being able to support myself to a profession of hardly making it.  I have had to drop my health insurance in order to pay rent and utilities.  At my age, this is not a good thing at all.  I have scaled back on everything.  The only luxury I have is I rent 1 movie a week and then only very inexpensive ...

May 1st.....FB Group Post
Apr 29, 2012

Not that it'll make a difference, but I posted https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=443628018984857&id=337068492974144&notif_t=feed_comment ...

How Do You Get A Transfer To Another Group?
Mar 13, 2013

It is just getting worse and worse. I work Th - Fri, and there isn't even any work on Sat and Sun! I hate giving up my weekend for naught. Fri is the only day I have been getting work. My TSM never answers my emails or phone calls. I sent an email 2 weeks ago asking to be moved to a group with work. After all, MM is hiring. ...

Got A Group E-mail From
Apr 07, 2013

and I thought it was going to be about the layoffs and some reassurance or warning, but it was about what all she was doing this weekend. ...

If You Were In The Group That Came Over From FutureNet
Oct 02, 2013

and you haven't checked your pay stub yet...boy are you in for a surprise!  ...

Has Anyone Ever Taken The Big Group Test
Feb 27, 2014

I've got one coming up, and have no idea what type of things are going to be on it.  The pay is good at this potential job, so I have a feeling the questions are going to be a bit beyond my scope. ...

Really?? Am I The Only One Working In My Group?
Jul 10, 2014

Really???? Dictation by a particular doctor who drives my count into the toilet and always has really long reports came up at about the time I was going to take my dinner break. Of course it was long, so I decided it was too long to wait. I come back 45 minutes later, and I get the exact same job. Really??? I usually get many of his jobs because I work the night shift and so does he. But really???? ...

Anyone Info. On E-transcription Group?
Mar 09, 2010

nm ...

Group Health Insurance For MT's?
Jun 14, 2010

Is there a group that gives health insurance to MT's on a group rate?  Frustrating to be self-employed and not get a "group rate" .  Ideas please? ...

Webmedx Support Group. Nm
Nov 02, 2010

nm ...

Venture Resources Group?
Feb 01, 2011

I received a W2 from a company called Venture Resources Group, LLC, and I have no clue who they are! I worked for a bunch of companies in 2010 and I'm not sure which this is as it's not the direct name of any of them. Tried to contact an obscure phone number to no avail. Anyone have a clue about this place? ...

DSG (Documentation Service Group)
Apr 01, 2011

Any current info on this comopany?   Thanks! ...

Oh Crap, Group Transcription, Now What?
May 05, 2011

My company just told me they were trying to bring on some projects where there would be multiple people speaking, like in a conference/meeting, about healthcare. They said they wanted me to transcribe it and to include time stamps every 5 minutes. How do you keep track of who is speaking? Sometimes trying to keep up with 1 mubbling doctor is hard enough, but now 5+ people? Is there some program or something I can get that will automatically put in timestamps, or am I going to have to keep lookin ...

AMCE Physicians Group
May 18, 2011

Has anyone worked for ACME Physicians Group out of Utah? ...

A Coworker Speaking For The Group
Jun 01, 2011

At almost everyone of our weekly meetings there is a coworker who complains about everything.  She is never happy and monopolizes each and every meeting.  I know she doesn't speak for me, not sure about everyone else, but she speaks up as though she has conferenced with us all and that we are all in agreement.  How do I politley tell her to stop whining unless she specifically speaks for herself?  I am happy with my job, my pay rate, my hours.........everything that ...

Documentation Services Group
Sep 13, 2011

Can anyone tell me what this company is like to work for?  I don't find anything in the archives, and they have a position posted on the job board.  I'd like to know how they pay, if they have steady work, what platform they use, etc.  Also, do they have straight transcription in addition to VR?  TIA ...

My Group Is Starting DQ7 Tomorrow. There Goes...smg
Apr 18, 2012

my line count, glug, glug down the crapper.  Have gone over the tutorials about a dozen times, but there are sooo many changes, the main one being in the appearance of the screen.  Also, some key commands stay the same, some now do something totally different, plus there are new ones.    I am sure not looking forward to tomorrow.  ...

Too Much Talk Of Striking Lately, But Can We As A Group Of MTs
May 10, 2012

Let's face it, striking will do no good.  Complaining about off-shoring has done no good, unless that will cease at a national level for all industries.  Complaining about pay is doing no good, since there is always an MT that will take a job at any rate.  What can we do? What if instead of a strike, all MTs did only the minimum line requirement for a week?  I think many, many MTs should go the Labor Board and file a complaint: If a company requires you to clock in an ...

Johnson Medical Group
Oct 12, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of Johnson Medical Group.  They guarantee you have a job once you take tests and are up to par on their expectations.  You have to pay $295.00 for their materials and training.  It's an IC job, so I would have to invest in hardware for my computer too because the companies I worked for before furnished equipment.  I tried to look up reviews of them on the Internet but could not find any. ...

Blood Type/group
Feb 19, 2014

Could anyone tell me how to type out the following sentence: "The patient's blood type was O Rh negative."  It's the blood type portion that I can't find any information on.  I can find information on O negative and that you don't use the minus sign; and on Rh in that you don't type out Rhesus, but how do you type it when it's spoken together? ...

Wow. What A Nasty Group Of People
Mar 20, 2014

xx ...

Group B Strep Question?
Nov 15, 2014

Per Stedman's Pathology & Lab book, it is group B Streptococcus, but is it group B strep and also is it group B streptococcal meningitis. When it is a variation of the word "Streptococcus," we don't cap, right? TIA!!!! ...

Swap Schedule Is Coming To My Group Soon.
Mar 11, 2010

and you want more hours to work Friday night or Sat.  You take that MT's hours, is it going to be DS and OP reports and you obviously cannot do the work because you are a tier 1?  Does this also mean that you will constantly be in the cesspool because of doing other BOB's?  Or will it just be your own BOB that you get to switch hours with, yet wouldn't the tier thing be confusing?  What if you take the hours and there are NO JOBS AVAILABLE.    ...

Group Medical Insurance For Transcriptionists?
Aug 17, 2010

I was wondering if there is group insurance anywhere for those of us who do this full time without benefits?  It seems that with insurance companies and strength in numbers, something should be available.  Anyone have any information on or experience with this?  I am recently certified with a few years experience and am looking to quit my crappy full time job that I am working only for the insurance to do this full time, but am hitting a wall with the insurance dilemma. ...