A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If coding program is offered again, DON'T DO IT! - coding student

Posted: Dec 09, 2014

MTs, if MModal offers this coding program again, don't do it...it is now 10 months into a 3 month program and has again been pushed back by another 2 months...they make it look good with guaranteed employment and dangling bonuses at you, but don't be fooled..they have no intension of ever paying you or moving you into the job...this is just to dangle in front of customers to say "hire us, we are cutting edge!"

Wow, sorry to hear that - but thanks for the heads up (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Coding Program - Dear Student

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you still transcribing?

Wow! - A snake

[ In Reply To ..]
acting like a snake. Big surprise!

I dont feel that way - another coding student

[ In Reply To ..]
I have enjoyed the 20 hours of paid time very week without having to be on production. Even if they pull the program I have no regrets. They are the ones that wasted their time and money, not me. I have no money put into this and have enjoyed learning. If I decided to pursue coding on my own I will be ahead of the game.

I completely agree with the post above. I'm not happy - about this latest delay,

[ In Reply To ..]
But I can live with it and wait it out. I've been with MM for 13 years, and while it hasn't been perfect, it could be a whole lot worse. This is still an excellent opportunity and I'm thankful to have it. So I will hang in and reap the reward in the end. And when they start the next round, it will surely go smoother than it has this first time around. We knew from the get-go that we were getting into unchartered territory and it could be rocky. Regardless, it's worth it. We're getting a paid education. The only reason for the current delay is because of HDS workload being high. As soon as it's under control, they'll transition us back to training.

Under control? - Overtime every day here

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the being the guinea pig for this program. I don't think I would have the patience to keep getting delayed and stalled and fed excuses not to mention not being allowed to take any vacation for 10 months.

However, it does not look like the POD situation will be under control any time soon. Every day we are working extra hours. In December.

I just hope you actually finish and get paid your bonuses. Seems to me the stalling is a nice way for Mmodal to get out of paying those.
It's going to die down once Christmas gets here, - like it has every year
[ In Reply To ..]
that I've worked here. And I can't complain about the current OT and incentives either. It's all good, and we will finish this and get our bonuses and our hourly coding rate. Definitely later than we had hoped, but it will happen. They have dumped too much money into us at this point to scrap this program. There isn't a doubt in my mind that I'll be a coder at some point next year.
they have to pay us bonuses or there is no incentive for us - to stay after they trained us.
[ In Reply To ..]
If they do all of the training and we are able to pass certification exams then we would be free to leave and pursue careers elsewhere. The bonuses were a way to keep us here for at least a year. You are right, they may well decline to pay us those bonuses but then we are well within our rights to leave for greener pastures.

Pushed back 2 pay periods, not 2 months. - JS....nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Exactly, only 2 pay periods, which is rather vague but I am thinking - it will be right after Christmas

[ In Reply To ..]
when the work dies down. We are supposed to get a revised schedule soon. Our benchmark was supposed to be in early January, hopefully we can keep it pretty close to the original schedule.

I had a bad feeling about it from the get-go, but - I still am very sorry for your situation.

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope things go better for you and all other MTs next year.

Similar Messages:

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

One More Question On Schools... Meditec. Does Anyone Know Much About The Coding Course Offered Thro
Nov 07, 2010

Just cannot decide between Meditec, AAPC, Career Step or Andrews.... ARGHHH   I am hoping to get into outpatient coding, preferably in an orthopedic practice!  I want the most in-depth training that is out there.  I want to be fully prepared.  If Andrews is most expensive but offers the most in-depth training, I will go with them.  It's a hard decision to make especially with so many different schools out there! ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...

Which Online Coding Program
Aug 17, 2010

How does one know which online coding program to take when they all seem pretty good, besides the price difference? I specifically want to know about AHIMA or Career Step from someone who has graduated and found a job. I know they have testimonials on their website, but how does one really know?  I was thinking about either their program or the one from AHIMA, which seems a lot longer, but apparently with either you will be able to sit for the credentialing exam, and they seem to be close in ...

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

AHDPG Coding Program
Jan 18, 2012

Has anyone attended thisl AHDPG coding program?  I see they are recommended by AAPC.  I am a little leary of them as I have never heard of them  before. ...

Question About A Particular Coding Program
Sep 07, 2012

I am looking for a medical coding program and have been checking into various ones. I came across this one and it seems too good to be true. All others have been at least $1000 but usually more than that. This programs states it is only $349 for a 6 month indepth course. You can find it at www.medicalcodingpro.com or just google Medical Coding Pro. My concern is, does this program really train you from scratch or is it meant as a refresher course for people who have worked in this field pr ...

Is It Important To Take A Coding Program That Is
Jul 29, 2013

or does it mostly boil down to going to a school with a good curriculum and then getting a certification? I'm trying to decide between a community college program and Career Step.  The community college program, I won't be able to graduate from until 2015, which seems like forever, but with Career Step, I could be done in a year from now.  Career Step is AHIMA approved, and MModal (my current employer) told me that the AHIMA approval is important. ...

CPC/CCS Coding Program Other Than Andrews
Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much. ...

Coding Program And FT/PT Status . Wonder
Mar 11, 2014

If chosen for this program and moving down to PT production, I wonder if you are then considered PT and will lose health benefits? Has anyone inquired about this yet? ...

MM Coding Program Questions
May 08, 2014

For those of you in the HDS2Coder program, how do you like it?  Would you recommend it to other MM employees?  Is it harder than you expected or take up more of your time than expected?  I'm just wanting to know how you all are doing in there in case they offer the program again in July.  Thanks in advance for any info you can pass on!! ...

Coding Program Stopped
May 14, 2014

Just got an email from our manager saying they are stopping the program for the next week or so until they get the bugs worked out.   We are supposed to type until they figure out their next step.  Some of the students still don't have the encoder program.  I think a big part of it is because of the ruling to delay ICD9.  Who knows if it will start back up again.     Will keep you guys posted.  ...

In Coding Program...question
Dec 11, 2014

I am getting a little overwhelmed with the manual side of coding. The beginning part of the course was a breeze because it was all medical terms and anatomy. The coding part just seems overwhelming. Is working in real life easier with the encoder than it is manually looking up a code? ...

Any Word On The Coding Program?
Feb 28, 2015

I asked the coding board and just got crickets.  I was hoping that they would do another round and I could give the test a try.  I heard from a coworker who heard from another coworker who heard from one of the coders in training that they recently dropped the program.  I'm not sure if I believe it or not as it would be all over this board I would think.   ...

To Those Who Were In The Coding Program That Was Cancelled
Apr 10, 2015

To those of you who were in that huge coding training program that was canceled recently, have you given up on coding or enrolled in another program? What did you decide to do? ...

I Want To Consider Going To Andrews For Their Coding Program
Apr 27, 2015

and I think I'd enjoy the job (after researching for the past year). I really want to do something interesting for the rest of my working life (and still have a career rather than just a job like I do now), but now I'm starting to wonder if I am too old at 58.  I guess I'd get through the schooling in about 12 months, then take the CCS exam (takes time?) and then I say give myself up to a year to find a job (??).  That would mean I could be pushing 60 when I began.  ...

What Is The Consensus Of The Best Training Program For Coding?
Dec 08, 2010

I am thinking of learning coding and would like to know what is the best training program for coding?  Thanks. ...

Looking For A Coding Program That I Can Take Part Time
Jan 03, 2012

I am currently looking for a coding program that I can take part time. I have an A.S.S. in Med. Transcription and work full time at a hospital. They are wanting me to find a program that is AHima accredited as my work will pay for it. I can't attend full time due to kids, work, etc. Any suggestions? ...

One Thing I Wish For Online Coding Program
Jun 07, 2012

I am currently attending Andrews School's coding program and I truly do love it.  There are still some things that confuse me a bit and sometimes I have wished there were "training" or lecture videos.  By taking this course, I have realized that I am a visual learner and have found that just by having to read everything, sometimes I have to go over it and over it to make sense of it, which then sets me back as far as time and then I have to rush to get all of my assignments comple ...

Still Haven't Heard Anything About Coding Program
Mar 20, 2014

Guess I'll be going to school since I really, really want to go into coding. ...

Has Anyone Quit Or Been Kicked Out Of MM's Coding Program Yet?
May 01, 2014

x ...

To Those In MModal Coding Training Program.
Jun 06, 2014

I was just curious to find out how the MTs are doing that were accepted into the first Coding training program working 20 hours paid training and 20 hours as MT.   I am possibly considering applying if it is offered again and wanted some experienced opinions of those in it.    Thank you! ...

How Long Should A Thorough, Good Coding Program
Jan 16, 2015

variables involved, i.e. FT/PT, working, not working, etc. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure from those who have already completed a program. Thanks for any info! ...

Guess I Will Not Be In The Next MModal Coding Program,
Mar 03, 2015

I just heard from someone who was in the class.  They took the final test and then the very next day they discontinued the program.   Don't know any other specifics.  Feel bad for the students.  Hopefully they can use any knowledge they gained to their benefit.  ...

Can Anyone Recommend A Good Coding Program For An
Apr 26, 2015

xx ...

AHIMA Basic Coding Program, Anyone Else Take This?
Apr 27, 2015

Hello, I am currently enrolled in AHIMA's Basic Coding Program.  Has anyone else done this program?  It seems that the CCS is mentioned as being the certficiate to get, is the CCA no good?  This is all new to me, so any advice would be appreciated!  I have done transcription for 17 years, but my company was outsourced, so time for a change.  I am really enjoying learning coding.  It is an online course, so I hope it will be enough to prepare me for a coding pos ...

Do Any BOOKS Come With Career Steps Coding Program?
May 11, 2010

or is EVERYTHING on line.  Wondering how hard it would be to backtrack to study for exams? ...

Anyone Schooling At Andrews? How Difficult Is The Coding Program?
May 13, 2010

I would LOVe to hear from anyone in the ANdrews School for medical coding!!  ...

Coding Classes Through A Distance Learning Program
Aug 01, 2010

I work full-time as an MT and take coding classes through a distance learning progam, I'm about half way through and have just started to learn coding; first inpatient, then outpatient.  My MT job is good now, on-site with plenty of work and good pay, but we are moving to EPIC and VR and job cuts are imminent within the next year or so.  I am thinking ahead to coding jobs, though, and recently applied for a medical records clericial position where a small amount of coding would be involv ...