A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CPC/CCS Coding Program other than Andrews - Soon2bMT2Coder

Posted: Sep 03, 2013

Does anyone know of a (non-degree) program other than Andrews that upon completion will allow you to be eligible to sit for the CCS and CPC exam. I have researched the Andrews program and think it sounds great and comes with awesome recommendations from this board. I just want to explore any other options available before I take the plunge. Not necessarily needing a degree, already have Masters in Health Administration. Thanks so much.

See my post below. - Poking Around

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been doing much research, and I'm finding that Ritecode.com seems to be a good place.

They offer an entire review to sit for the CPC OR CCS for $349. That compares to $3800 for the entire Andrews program. They also have coding quizzes that are free.

They offer specific modules on coding that can be taken and paid for one at a time so that you can pay for what you can afford.

They also offer CEUs that are recognized by both AHIMA and AAPC.

I was hoping to get more feedback here about them, but I very literally spent the entire weekend doing research, and I'm leaning toward this. Like you, I already have a degree, and I've got my A&P and terminology classes under my belt, so there's no need for me to take them again. I need to fast track straight to coding.

Good luck. I hope you get other responses here.

Thanks for the info - - Soon2bMT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll have to take a look at Ritecode more seriously. I glanced at the site and thought it was for those who were already coders wanting to increase their knowledge about specific areas, I did not realize their modules would meet the criteria for eligibility to sit for the CPC and CCS. Thanks again, and good look to you too.

You're welcome. See inside. - Poking Around

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope this link works. It's a list of their online coding modules that are offered. At the top it has the Coding Prep Course. There are other, more specific, modules listed below that, as well.

They also offer separate billing modules. If you look on the left side, there is a menu of all the prep courses and modules that they have available.

I even saw their name mentioned on the AAPC forums as being recommended for specific reviews whenever someone would ask.

They may not be the be-all, end-all for this, as I have not actually looked at their material. However, they also have a small demo module that you can try and see what you think. Plus their quizzes are free.

If you find anything else, would you post, as well? Perhaps together and with input from others, we can figure things out. :)

I think they are for coders, as well. - Look more like exam review courses.

[ In Reply To ..]
They may qualify for the AAPC, but they do not qualify for the AHIMA exams.

Yes they do! Link for CCS requirements. - Poking Around
[ In Reply To ..]
To sit for a CCS exam, here is the criteria. Notice the ORs in there. Not and... or....

Link to their website is also below.

By Credential: RHIA®, RHIT®, or CCS-P® OR
By Education: Completion of a coding training program that includes anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding; OR
By Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of related coding experience directly applying codes; OR
By Credential with Experience: CCA® plus one (1) year of coding experience directly applying codes; OR
Other Coding credential from other certifying organization plus one (1) year coding experience directly applying codes.
To sit for the CCS exam... - Experienced, credentialed coder
[ In Reply To ..]
OK, you DON'T have another AHIMA credential. You DON'T have a CCA and a year of experience. You DON'T have an AAPC credential and 1 year of experience. You DON'T have 2 years of experience.

So, since you don' t have all those things, in order to sit for the exam, you will have to attend a school that includes anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding.

Does that course include that? Not that I can see.

What if we already have? Also, see link. - Funny
[ In Reply To ..]
Most who are currently MTs already tackled those subjects with their MT education.

All that remains is the reimbursement methodology, ICD and CPT, yes?

Yes, I know that people like to say that one school or course offers more than the other, but the problem is that most of these courses do not allow people to test out of subjects in which they can already demonstrate proficiency. Many require keyboarding skills, medical terminology, a refresher course on English, etc. Those are all fluff courses for a person who already has experience and has those courses under their belt.

This is why so many people are looking for less expensive avenues. If modules can be purchased/taken on an as-needed basis, then so be it.

On a side note, here is an entire discussion from Indeed.com's forums regarding AHIMA's coding exam requirements. There is an entire discussion that goes for pages on the pros cons, and there is a ton of information there.

My issue - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The AHIMA requirements state: Completion of a coding training program

That's a coding training program, not an MT course, not biology, pharmacology, or any other training program that would include A&P, pharm, etc.

If I were you, I would contact AHIMA directly to verify that your prior education and experience would qualify you under their requirements. I would do this especially prior to paying money for a course/module/what have you.
My issue... - Funny
[ In Reply To ..]
Is that this board seems to be populated by people who like to bash all but a few programs and then someone turns around and bashes those, too. I'm concerned about ulterior motives.

Per the link posted previously, AHIMA also states experience and certification through "other" programs. There are no specifics.

For me, personally, my courses are from a 4-year university prior to changing degrees. I have a 4-year degree in another field.

Also, for example, AAPC's course work for the CPC is considered eligible for acceptance by the University of Phoenix to be applied to an undergraduate
degree program.

A link to AAPC's website referencing this is below.
I wasn't bashing anything - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't know why you feel the need to be so defensive. I was just pointing something out that perhaps you missed. If you think what you're doing is right, then, by all means, have it your way. I'd like to know how it goes, personally.

I still would double check with AHIMA-- it couldn't hurt anything to know for sure.

Btw--just so we're clear, I am NOT a coder, nor am I yet a student; however, I do have my own plans for my coding studies. I also have a BA and have been in transcription for 10 years, so I understand where you're coming from. I personally try to avoid costly mistakes where I can.
Adendum - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Did you read the CCS Eligibility FAQ doc on the AHIMA site? I did -- just finished. Not only do they admit that their own program doesn't qualify under their new requirements, question #6 states the following :

"What if my education or non-coding medical credential(s) cover most of the required subject areas, will I be eligible to sit for the CCS or CCS-P exam?

No. All CCS and CCS-P candidates must fulfill ALL requirements noted under the education criteria"

Also, a lot of the information on the indeed forum is very, very old. Like 3 to 5 years old. It may have been valid at one point, but with the recent requirement changes, it really no longer applies.
*addendum* Geez, I need coffee - sorry, anon. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I'm not defensive. sm - Funny
[ In Reply To ..]
I am, however, no nonsense. My plan is to go through AAPC. I don't desire a certification through AHIMA, or at least not until they get their act together. If their recommended courses or approved training programs are are not sufficient for someone taking a test to pass, then they need to either look at their recommended training programs, their tests, or both.

I some of my research, I saw a pass rate of only 49% for the AHIMA exam. If that is the case, then the training they themselves recommend isn't sufficient. That's why I am avoiding it. It would seem wise that if their own program isn't sufficient to qualify, then a person probably shouldn't take it.

Money would be better spent on a program that is geared toward passing the program. So, for example, AAPC's program for sitting for the CPC is geared toward passing their test. Then, a person could continue studies and earn experience while studying for the next level of credentialing.

In this case, for any who do self-education, there's relatively little risk as far as expense. A few books, a lot of time, possibly a little money to purchase study guides and sample exams. The worst-case scenario is failing an exam after self-study and deciding to go with an actual program. Or, a person might even realize that self-study isn't going to work and decides to go with a program for more direction.

No, I wouldn't recommend it for a person who has never been in the medical field, but it might be a viable alternative for others.
I should say... - Funny
[ In Reply To ..]
My plan is to go through AAPC *if* I decide to go through a program. In other words, if I try self-study and think it's going to fail miserably, then that will be my first choice. However, I'm also seeing some information on the Ritecode website that might be worth checking into.
A couple things to consider - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
AHIMA isn't usually thought of as having a problem getting its act together. You may be misinterpreting what you see as a problem, when it is not.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the AAPC tests, but you should not assume that they are the equivalent of the AHIMA exams. They are not, because they cover different aspects of coding. Hospital coding, which is primarily inpatient, is considerably more difficult than outpatient.

The pass rate on all AHIMA exams is low because the exams are difficult. Having taken several from both, I can assure you that the AAPC exams, while not trivial, are a walk in the park compared to AHIMA's. AHIMA exams differ in that they require you to write in answers, not just select from multiple choices, and because they test detaIled knowledge of the basic medical sciences, including the ability to apply and use that knowledge, not just recognize medical terms.

I see your point, but want to - point something out
[ In Reply To ..]
I can understand that you do not want to retake courses you have already had. However, keyboarding and English are not usually required. I don't know of any coding programs requiring them.

You would have to ask AHIMA if they would accept the subjects you had in other programs. I doubt if they would accept a pathophysiology course more than a few years old due to the rapid changes in the subject and its critical importance to ICD-10.

The discussion on the indeed.com forum is years out of date. It is also mostly by people who don't seem to know what they are talking about--a bit like the blind leading the blind. I would not put any stock in it at all.

Fluff courses - Not a coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Anatomy and physiology are not considered "fluff courses." To enter AHIMA's coding program, you must show documentation of completion of a college level anatomy and physiology course with a grade of C or better. If not, you will have to take a course before starting the program. AAPC does not require A & P, but they strongly recommend it. If it has been years since you had MT training, I suggest that you will find it helpful. I was an MT who completed a coding program that included terminology and anatomy; the anatomy course was very comprehensive and a good review for me. Whatever program you choose, make sure that they are teaching ICD-10. Do what works best for you, but purchasing textbooks and modules on the side can also add up and you may end up spending just as much money in the long run. You will also not have any instructor feedback in a self-directed program. The AAPC course includes the exam fee in the enrollment, which will cost you $300 if you pay it yourself.
Not fluff courses - unless you have already taken them - Hopeful
[ In Reply To ..]
The poster was only referring to retaking them as "fluff" courses. We know none of them are fluff courses if you have not taken them. Of course, anyone working in the medical field in any capacity needs to have taken some good anatomy and physiology courses. They are definitely not fluff. She meant if you have already taken them and have to retake them as part of a coding program, then they are fluff.
Options for dealing with fluff - Been There
[ In Reply To ..]
If you are an expert, then you shouldn't have a problem testing out. Either take the CLEP test in that subject and pass it or test out of the school's course.

If you can't pass, you need to learn that material, so take the course and benefit from it.

If those options do not appeal to you, take whatever course that doesn't require them and go for an AAPC certifcation which won't test or require them, either. Just be aware that not all employers prefer those credentials and that 25% of coders with them remain unemployed.

If you are interested, this is the level of pathophysiology that you should know. This is an out of date edition, but you can see inside it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pathophysiology-Concepts-Altered-Health-ebook/dp/B009UWSA5Q/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378334894&sr=1-6&keywords=porth+pathophysiology

Response. - Fluff
[ In Reply To ..]
If you have already taken A&P, you can refresh your knowledge via individual sections on Khan Academy. This is one section on Human Biology, with 16 subsections, but there are also other sections listed on the site, as well.

The link generator won't let me put this in because it's a secure link, so I am putting it here to be pasted into a browser:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology/human-biology
And just to be clear... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone seems to be mentioning A&P, but not pathophysiology.

Just so we are clear, anatomy and physiology IS NOT the same as pathophysiology.

CCS cetfication - Patricia

[ In Reply To ..]
both certification organizations have their own online training courses. If you only need coding training you may want to check them out.

Thank you - - Soon2bMT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew the AAPC had their own program for CPC, but I think AHIMA's program only allows for eligibility with the CCA exam and not CCS (was hoping to bypass that CCA). I'll keep researching. Thanks again.

Neither course qualifies for the CCS. . . - just fyi

[ In Reply To ..]
The AAPC course does not cover inpatient coding at all, and neither the AAPC courses nor the online AHIMA course qualify for the CCS and CCS-P exams.

That is not to say either is bad, but just be aware of the limitations.

Suggestion - RHIA

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have an MHA, and if your bachelor's is from a regionally accredited institution, you would actually do well to go for a postbaccalaureate certificate in Health Information Administration so that you can sit for the RHIA exam.

Coding will be included in that, so you can still work as a coder. The advantage is that it will open the door to all the HIA positions that will be closed to you with just the MHA. The MHA is a great degree. It will serve you well. Most HIA professional positions will be looking for the RHIA, even with the MHA. It will be so easy for you to get that (and the coding at the same time, since that is your interest) that it would be a shame not to. Having that in addition to your MHA will make you highly marketable. You can get some great jobs with that combination.

Many remote coding positions require the RHIA or, at a minimum, the RHIT or CCS. Unless you take a course that qualifies for the CCS, you will be stuck. The one you are considering here (with the individual units) does not seem to qualify. You might want to check with AHIMA to be certain. I think it is easier to get a coding job with the certification in hand. You might not want to have to work for 2 years just to qualify for the exam.

You can do the certificate in HIA at the University of Toledo in about a year -- roughly the same as coding. The cost is reasonable (in-state rates for online students) considering the salary that credential receives. It is worth the cost. See the AHIMA salary survey.

Years ago... sm - Poking Around/Funny

[ In Reply To ..]
I started out in college to get a degree in HIM. Way back then it was known as an RRA degree. I got about halfway through and then realized something.

In most hospitals, the only way you could move into a meaningful position was if someone died or retired... whichever came first. I am very serious about that. I worked with a woman who had been the lead record analyst for 20 years, had her RRA, and was maintaining her CEUs. However, the medical records director was still going strong and had been there for something like 35 years. She was starting to feel hopeless and was considering a job in Saudi Arabia as a civilian medical records administrator because they pay was way more than what she would make sitting and waiting at her desk. She was that frustrated.

I don't know if it's still the same, but I'd rather just be gainfully employed for a while, working for doctor's offices, an insurance company, or whatever, than to go back into the rat race of that mess again.

Sorry you had that experience - RHIA

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sorry you had that experience. It would have frustrate anyone. I think it could happen in any field, though, if the workplace was small enough and folks got entrenched.

My experience has been very different. Not only are there a lot of HIM jobs now, but there is a large variety of jobs. It isn't shuffling paper records anymore. The RHIA isn't limited to one management slot at the top, either.

Everyone makes the decision that is best for them. I tossed out the RHIA possibility for the OP because she already had an MHA.

Thanks for this - - Soon2bMT2Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you might really be on to something here. I will definitely take a hard look at this. I am just trying to find the most affordable and shortest way to transition out of MT into coding utilizing what I already have. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

CPC/CCS - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been researching this for almost a year now and all the programs I've been able to find that do double credentials teach to the CPC/CCA, not the CCS.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know If The Andrews Coding Program...sm
Dec 09, 2010

offers training of the 3M encoding software?  I read that Career Step does and when I look at most coding jobs, they require training and experience using 3M encoding software.  Thanks for your help! ...

I Want To Consider Going To Andrews For Their Coding Program
Apr 27, 2015

and I think I'd enjoy the job (after researching for the past year). I really want to do something interesting for the rest of my working life (and still have a career rather than just a job like I do now), but now I'm starting to wonder if I am too old at 58.  I guess I'd get through the schooling in about 12 months, then take the CCS exam (takes time?) and then I say give myself up to a year to find a job (??).  That would mean I could be pushing 60 when I began.  ...

Anyone Schooling At Andrews? How Difficult Is The Coding Program?
May 13, 2010

I would LOVe to hear from anyone in the ANdrews School for medical coding!!  ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Does Anyone Know When Andrews Will Begin Their ICD-10 Program?
Jul 12, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has heard the date when Andrews will begin their ICD-10 program. I also have been told that is critically important to know both ICD-9 and ICD-10. Do you agree, and why? ...

Billing Program Through Andrews
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone taken just the billing program through Andrews?   I know that coders make a lot more money, but I honestly am not that interested in spending that much time and money and was considering just the billing program through Andrews.  Does anyone have any opinions on the billing program? ...

Andrews Coding
Mar 21, 2015

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Andrews coding program and if so did you pass the exams? Did you land a job immediately after completing the course? How difficult are the exams and how long did it take to complete the course? I was an MT for years but now I am looking for other options as the MT field has changed way too much and is no longer financially doable for me. ...

Best Coding Course Besides Andrews?
Apr 09, 2015

Hello all.  I am not a troll and am truly wondering if there is a coding course that is more economic than Andrews but still TEACHES you to code?  I am an MT but have no experience with coding.  Please help!  Thanks so much.   ...

Which Coding Workbook Does Your Coding Program Use
May 20, 2014

Thanks for your response.  ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

Cost Of Andrews Coding Course?
Jun 30, 2013

Can anyone tell me the cost of the coding course at Andrews? Do you still get a discount if you completed the medical transcription course? ...

Andrews For Coding - Have To Be A Citizen?
Jul 26, 2013

I am interested in The Andrews School for medical coding, but I see on their website that you have to be a citizen.  I am a resident alien and I am wondering why you are required to be a citizen in order to attend the school.  Thanks in advance. ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

Andrews Coding Students
Dec 15, 2013

How long did it take you to finish the coding course? Thanks. ...

Can Andrews' Coding Course Be Completed In Less Than 12 Months?
Jan 24, 2011

I've been looking at both Andrews and Career Step for online coding classes.  One thing that I've noticed (other than the cost differences) is that the Career Step course can be completed in as little as 4 months.  It seems the Andrews course takes a minimum of 12 months.  Is it possible to complete it in less time or is that frowned upon?  If I had the extra money and time, I would probably be leaning toward Andrews (particularly since I already completed thei ...

Andrews Coding/CMT CECs Question
May 06, 2012

I just spent a few hours getting some CECs for my CMT and it got me thinking. Does anyone know if the coding program at Andrews could be used for my CMT CECs? I apologize if this has been discussed in the past. I tried to search the archives but came up with nothing. Thank you for any input! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates Getting Jobs?
Oct 07, 2012

Has anyone graduating from the Andrews coding course gotten jobs. I know how hard it is to get a job without prior experience. I am 61 and wondering if it is worth the expense and effort to take the couse. I have fifteen years of MT experience and also have worked in a hospital for years before that. Thanks. ...

Questions For Andrews Coding Graduates (sm)
Jan 08, 2013

I have been doing research on the various coding programs out there and before I spend a large amount of money on training, I want to ask former Andrews coding students a couple of questions. 1. Did you pass the certification exam(s) and, if so, did you feel like the schooling that you received prepared you for the exam? 2. Are you currently working as a coder and, if not, how long have you been actively looking for a job and have you been able to get job interviews. I realize that getting ...

Andrews Coding: Time To Complete?
Jun 30, 2013

One thing I haven't seen posted re: Andrews is a reasonable expectation of a timeframe for an experienced MT to complete their program.  What has been everybody's experience thus far? I realize we all have different home situations and some are pulled in more directions than others.  I work full-time.  Kids are no longer underfoot.  Not caring for parents as they are deceased already.  No yard to tend. I've found myself cornered into an untenab ...

A Question About The Andrews Coding Classes.
Apr 14, 2015

If you've been an MT for 20 years, will they let you skip or test out of some of the classes that pertain to things we already know, or do you have to take them all? ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

Can Someone Compare Andrews To AHIMA Basic Coding Course?
Feb 07, 2013

they call this a 12-course basics.  it says 2000, plus you need an additional 290 +225 for the required anatomy and physiology course, which you must at least get a C before you can proceed with the coding.  they also suggest 35 a year for becoming a member.  books are also a lot extra, looks like.   says 4 clusters of 15-week courses, that is 60 weeks, yes?   anyone have experience with this course?  call me gun-shy, but this is the organization who threw MT unde ...

Is It Possible To Pass The CCS Exam Upon Completion Of The Andrews Coding Course?
Nov 21, 2013

From what I've read, the CCS exam sounds difficult and I'm curious if any Andrews grads passed the exam as soon as they were finished with the course. I guess really what I'm wondering is if the Andrews course prepares you enough to pass the CCS or is the course more geared toward the CPC. I'm in the research phase right now, deciding which coding course is the best one for me. I'm also still trying to understand the differences between all of the coding credentials, bu ...

Andrews Coding Grads/students: Questions
Feb 03, 2015

Okay, I wrote the previous post, but I have a few more questions. Any help is appreciated. How much does the coding program cost? How long did it take you to complete, full-time or part-time? Did you feel job-ready when you finished the course? Are there any hidden fees for exams, etc.? If you went the Andrews for MT as well, how would you compare the intensity of the two courses?   I did attend Andrews for medical transcription 8 years ago, and I loved the program then. That is why ...

Any Andrews Coding Graduates That Were Able To Find Work After Completing Course?? Sm
Mar 25, 2013

Hi Anybody on here graduated from Andrews coding course and able to find work? I am just really scared I am going to do all of this and not find a job anywhere?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated  Thanks ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

I Am Almost Done With My Coding Program But
Sep 22, 2011

now I don't know if I want to be a coder :(.  I planned on taking the CPC and then after a few years taking the CCS.  Before I started my program, I was naive and didn't realize how difficult and complex coding is.  I don't know that I can sit in front of a computer for 8 hours and code all day long.  It's almost too much like MTing (desk work, I mean).  Plus, I am not confident in my ability to even pass the CPC.  I am not very satisfied with th ...