A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Effect or Affect? - still learning

Posted: Nov 11, 2009

1) The patient will be given medication to effect bowel movement prior to discharge today.

OR--

2) The patient will be given medication to affect bowel movement prior to discharge today.

Affect - X

[ In Reply To ..]
Affect means to influence.

Wrong. It is effect. nm - oldtimer

[ In Reply To ..]

it is Affect...sm - vrmt

[ In Reply To ..]
This could even be the 'proto' example when to use Affect, what means 'influence', not 'outcome', what would be 'Effect.'

it is effect (to make happen) to make a bowel movement happen - lhf

[ In Reply To ..]
s
sm for complete understanding between the 2 words - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
AffectIn order to understand the correct situation in which to use the word affect or effect, the first thing one must do is have a clear understanding of what each word means. According to yourDictionary.com, the word Affect means:

To have an influence on or effect a change in: Inflation affects the buying power of the dollar.
To act on the emotions of; touch or move.
To attack or infect, as a disease: Rheumatic fever can affect the heart.
EffectThe word effect has a different meaning. Here is the meaning according to yourDictionary.com:

Something brought about by a cause or agent; a result.
The power to produce an outcome or achieve a result; influence: The drug had an immediate effect on the pain. The government's action had no effect on the trade imbalance.
A scientific law, hypothesis, or phenomenon: the photovoltaic effect. |
Advantage; avail: used her words to great effect in influencing the jury.
The condition of being in full force or execution: a new regulation that goes into effect tomorrow.

Something that produces a specific impression or supports a general design or intention: The lighting effects emphasized the harsh atmosphere of the drama.
A particular impression: large windows that gave an effect of spaciousness.
Production of a desired impression: spent lavishly on dinner just for effect.
The basic or general meaning; import: He said he was greatly worried, or words to that effect.
lh, you are wrong, affect : effect...sm - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
You gave wonderful examples for Affect and Effect which proved exactly that in the OP's case it has to be AFFECT, not Effect. Examples given:

'Rheumatic fever can affect the heart'

'Inflation affects the buying power of the dollar.'

I did also some research and found this; it explains it in a much simpler and 'common sense' way and is much easier to remember and apply:

âAffectâ as a VERB. (The NORM) To have an influence on; to impress or to move; to produce a change in something or someone. Example:
His study was intended to show how alcohol affects reaction time.

âEffectâ as a NOUN. (COMMON USAGE) Something brought about; a result. Example:
They discussed the effect of the law on children.

Although this rule is not foolproof (100%), if you look through lb's given examples it proves in each instance CORRECT.

So, I would say with confidence that in the OP's question the answer is:

Affect, not Effect.

Remember: Used as VERB: Affect
Used as NOUN: Effect

that's incredible, effect can also be used as a verb, hope this helps, sm - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
The medication will "effect" a bowel movement.

This is your definition you pasted.
Effectâ as a NOUN. (COMMON USAGE) Something brought about; a result.

Here is more for your understanding from the dictionary

As a verb, to effect means to cause a change. In this sense, it is often confused with to affect, or to be altered by a change. When used as a verb, effect always refers to the cause of a change ("the governor effected a change in policy"); affect refers to the consequences of that change ("the new policy really affected our family"). An effect also refers to the consequences of that change ("the policy change effected by the governor really had an effect on our family").

Effect may refer to:

A result or change
List of effects
Cause and effect, an idiom describing causality
In pharmacy and pharmacology
Drug effect, a change resulting from the administration of a drug
Therapeutic effect, a beneficial change in medical condition, often caused by a drug
Adverse effect or side effect, an unwanted change in medical condition caused by a drug
Dose-response effect, the relationship between a drug dose and its effect, plotted on a dose-response curve
In media
Special effect, an artificial illusion
Sound effect, an artificially created or enhanced sound
Effects unit, a device used to manipulate electronic sound
Effects pedal, a small device attached to an instrument to modify its sound
Visual effect, an artificially created or enhanced image
Other uses
Effects, ones personal property or belongings
Effect size, a measure of the strength of a relationship between two variables
affect and effect - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
The right way is

The medication will AFFECT a bowel movement.

The EFFECT of the medication will be a bowel movement.

This is it.

Effect can be used as a verb, but only in 5% of the cases, the norm is affect.

Affect can be used 5% as a noun, the norm is effect.

You can use whatever you want. I will not go into a boxing match with you. It is enough confusing as it is and I proved that my way is the right one.

The medication will cause an effect, produce a bowel movement, it's that simple - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s
again dictionary definition, sm - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
Affect
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Look up affect in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
When used as a descriptor or adjective, affect means a change, and usually refers to an emotion or symptom. Affected, when used in a description, refers to fake or intentionally assumed behaviour (a changed behaviour), i.e., an affected accent.

In general, to affect refers to the consequences of a change or the influence a change has on something else. In this sense, it is often confused with to effect, which generally means to cause a change. When used as verbs, effect refers to the cause of a change ("the governor effected a change in policy"), and affect refers to the consequences of that change ("the new policy really affected our family"). An affect also refers to that change ("her affected accent really had an effect on me"; "her affected accent really affected my view of her").

Affect may refer to:

Affect (philosophy)
Affect (psychology)
Blunted affect or affective flattening, a reduction in emotional reactivity.
Labile affect, the unstable display of emotion.
Affect display, signs of emotion, such as facial expression, vocalization, and posture
Affective science, the scientific study of emotion
Affective computing, an area of research in computer science aiming to simulate emotional processes.
Affekt, a German term often used in musical and other aesthetic theory
Doctrine of the affections, an important theory in the aesthetics of music
A-ffect versus E-ffect......sm - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
" 1. If a VERB is needed, 95 percent of the time or more the word you want is �affect.� It means to change or to alter. �The weather affects our moods.� �Nutrition affects health.� �The seasons affect trees and flowers.� �The quality of your work affects your grade.�

2. When a NOUN is required, the word is almost always �effect.� This means �a result.��The effect of diligent study habits is better learning.� �The effect of making the correct choice is a better grade.�

and the medication effect is a bowel movement - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s
only if - X
[ In Reply To ..]
the patient already "had" a bowel movement, but he/she didn't.....they are trying to produce a bowel movement with the medication. Effect would be after the fact.
no it would not be after the fact. When you want to be put something into effect, sm - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
it means you want to see what the result will be. The medication is being given to see what effect it will produce.
exactly - X - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
The medication will AFFECT the bowel (the gut), hopefully the EFFECT will be a bowel movement.

Doc should have said instead of 'bowel movement', 'bowels', because he cannot know what the EFFECT will be. Some laxarives do not have any EFFECT. Unless he gave her a 'horses' laxative!'

I assume they talk about laxatives.

It is a fine line, but there is a fine line.
I stand by all the posts I have posted here, effect, medication effect, sm - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s
Should have said - X
[ In Reply To ..]
The doctor should have said "give mediation to produce" and been done with it! Then we all would not have to be on here arguing about which is which.....ahhh just another day in MT World.
there you have it produce (effect) a bowel movement - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s
no, the GOAL is to make a bowel movement, but it might not happen!..nm - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

effect sm - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]
effect=result, bring about, accomplish

the patient must "accomplish" a BM before they can be discharged...

Effect=outcome, Affect=what is influenced by it, usually emotions..n/m - vrmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

effect vs affect - X

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes I really hate this word... When in doubt, I always use Vera Pyle....she is awesome. Here is her take:

Affect: (Verb) to change; to produce an effect, as "This should not affect the outcome"; (noun) outward appearance of an inner emotion (Neuro, Psych), as "The patient demonstrated a flat affect" (or "flattened affect").

Effect: (Verb)- to execute, accomplish, bring to pass, as "This therapy should effect a cure" or, in surgery, "closure was effected." Effect is most often used as a noun.
Effect: (Noun)- an immediate result produced by an agent or cause, as "The surgical procedure produced a good cosmetic effect." Examples: proarrhythmic, Somogyi, Tyndall.
I am right, you are wrong, I go out of this 'boxing match' before it gets ugly, END FOR ME - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

you need to read your own posts, you seem to have a huge misunderstanding here, sm - lh

[ In Reply To ..]
yes, Effect=outcome (what would the outcome be upon giving the patient that medication) Affect=what is influenced by it, usually emotions)You have it all printed in black and white and seem to still be using in backwards

no, flybye, that's not it...sm - tmrv

[ In Reply To ..]
The "patient" has not to accomplish anything.

It is the medication that has to AFFECT the gut, so that a bowel movement will the EFFECT.

So it is!

??...let's agree to disagree, okay? tmrv... - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]
OP="The patient will be given medication to effect bowel movement prior to discharge today."

you said, "The 'patient' has not to accomplish anything. It is the medication that has to AFFECT the gut, so that a bowel movement will the EFFECT."

i respectfully disagree...

the dictator's goal is to get the patient discharged.

is the dictator emphasizing that medication will be given prior to discharge?

or

is the dictator emphasizing that the patient must have a bowel movement prior to discharge?

patients must void, pass flatus, and have a bowel movement before being allowed to leave the hospital, so i think they're emphasizing the patient must have a bowel movement.

so, indeed, the patient has to "accomplish" something before he can go home =)

ergo

the patient has to effect a bowel movement prior to discharge.

recast the sentence... "The patient will be given medication and must effect a bowel movement prior to discharge."

so let's just agree to disagree on this lousy dictator's wordage...they probably don't know the difference anyway... =)

A : E - tmrv

[ In Reply To ..]
1. So be ready to make almost all verbs âaffect.â
2. And be ready to make virtually all nouns âeffect.â

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow! - op

[ In Reply To ..]
I call that feedback. in case anyone wondered, it seemed to me that a verb was what was intended in the original dictation, and I went with AFFECT... It is a fine line, and I'm no good at hair-splitting, but it does make for an interesting discussion! Thanks, everyone!

sincerely,

the original poster

Yes, it is, and you were right!...nm - vrmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

there are 2 posts on here telling you effect can be used as a verb, too bad you missed them - lh

[ In Reply To ..]
s
for lh: "effect' as a verb?" - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
The usage of "effect" as a verb, is really not a good idea, as it can be misleading and confusing. It is a better idea to use another verb instead. Please read:

�Effect� as a verb. (Not common, but acceptable in rare cases.) To produce a result; to cause something to occur; to bring about an outcome. Example:
Smith said the cutbacks were designed to effect basic economies for the company.

While correct in this case, is it really clear to all readers? A better alternative:

Smith said the cutbacks were designed to implement (make happen) basic economies for the company.
Or:
Smith said the cutbacks were designed to bring about (produce a result) basic economies for the company.

----------------------

END of boxing game:

vrmt: 15 rounds
lh : 0 rounds

this renders lh k.o.

I already understand the difference between the 2 words, sm - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
there is no reason for me to look for an alternative word. Effect is commonly used in medical dictation, side effects, medication effect, etc.
since you have posted this, though, I am not understanding why you, sm - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
cannot see that the word in this sentence would be effect. This contradictions the other posts you have been placing here in regard to the word affect since you're saying affect would be the correct word.
for lb: effect as a verb...sm - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
What yuo mention I copy/pasted from a website.
I do not want to confuse you.
This is an example for "effect" used as a verb, what happens only in 5% of cases, in 95% of cases it is a noun. Even in this example (in my former post) it is confusing and should be replaced by another verb, so they say.

The rule is, although not 100% foolproof, only 95%, but it relieves 'headache'

as verb use Affect
as Noun use Effect.
your interpretation is not credible, the words you have copied and pasted are, I use effect almost o - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s
sorry, cut myself off there, almost everyday, the difference here is I understand the word - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s

cowpies...argue 'til the cows come home and MOOve their bowels..sm - flybye

[ In Reply To ..]
OP "...to effect/affect bowel movement before discharge."

effect=desired RESULT: patient cannot be discharged without PRODUCING (desired result) a BM, so they will give medication to EFFECT bowel movement so he can go home.

they can give medications that AFFECT the BM 'til the cows come home... but until that BM is **EFFECTED** the patient will NOT be discharged...

i believe EFFECT was the correct term...I also believe the flaming and nasty attitudes on this board are why i rarely post here anymore...just a bunch of BM...and frankly Scarlett... =)

wow! is right!
I agree, but no one in this conversation is being nasty - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s
although I see vrmt has correct me on this comment from above - lh
[ In Reply To ..]
s
nobody has been nasty till now, thats right, let's stop here.n/m - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
cow, lol....sm - vrmt
[ In Reply To ..]
I vote for

Affect

but I agree with you about the cow thing.....

LOL
hi, flybye, but "wow! op" voted for AFFECT...sm - tmvr
[ In Reply To ..]
and you say "wow! is right," whereas you are for EFFECT:
---------

wow! - opPosted: Nov 11th, 2009 - 3:47 pm In Reply to: A : E - tmrv

I call that feedback. in case anyone wondered, it seemed to me that a verb was what was intended in the original dictation, and I went with AFFECT... It is a fine line, and I'm no good at hair-splitting, but it does make for an interesting discussion! Thanks, everyone!

sincerely,

the original poster

------------

Anyways, isn't it all BM..lol !

I was agreeing with OP's sentiment(wow!), NOT her word choice =) sm - flybye
[ In Reply To ..]
yet another misunderstanding...i was just agreeing with her response of "wow" to all the feedback she received...

OP is free to choose AFFECT...she asked for opinions...i gave mine...

A sample of the correct usage of EFFECT in the sense this doctor was using it (as in to produce results) is: "At times she used mineral oil or laxatives to effect a bowel movement." -or- "The affect of the medication did not effect bowel movement."

I stand by EFFECT...but nobody cares! =)

MOOving on...
I care and agree it is effect, all the definitions listed above make that crystal clear - my thoughts
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Effect or Affect? - pc

[ In Reply To ..]
It is effect, a verb.

Similar Messages:

To Affect Or To Effect, As In To Effect Change, I Have Seen Both. Nm
May 18, 2011

xxx ...

Affect Vs Effect ?
Nov 24, 2009

Just finishing up the night shift and want to go to bed and let the Sudafed take me away.  I'm thinking it's affect (the noun), but just want some input to be sure (overtired paranoia setting in).  Of course, this is the last note of the night too.  If I weren't tired, I know I wouldn't be doubting myself.  I have given her a note to that affect. - or - I have given her a note to that effect. Thanks! ...

Affect/Effect
Jun 10, 2010

The doc I work for frequently says "and he will increase the dosage until he experiences exessive side effects or good affect." I know the first "side effects" is correct, but I believe the later he means "good effect" and he just says it incorrectly, but I question myself each time. Is there anyone who can clarify this for me? I am most appreciative! ...

Affect And Effect
Oct 08, 2010

Significant artifact affecting the resting phase of the study. Is this correct or should it be effecting?  This is not a test. It is an actual report I am doing this morning.  My mind is shot. ...

Affect Or Effect
Apr 05, 2011

Is there an easy way to know if you should use affect or effect? ...

Affect Vs. Effect
Feb 11, 2012

I have been an MT for years and years and years (not telling my age haha) but I still to this day have the hardest time with affect versus effect...anyone have any genious tips on which to use when would be greatly appreciated??? For instance:  It is hard to determine what affect/effect the medication will have or how it will affect/effect the patient's outcome. The only one I am really positive about is when it has to do with the patient's affect. Thanks you are all the best ...

Effect Verses Affect
May 24, 2010

"no mass affect was noted."  Is it affect or effect?  ...

Mass Effect Or Affect? Nm
Aug 14, 2012

Affect/Effect Drives Me Bonkers...anyone Have A
Apr 06, 2010

nm ...

Goal Is To Hopefully "affect" Or "effect:" A Cure.
Apr 14, 2011

:) ...

S/L Jurger's Effect
Jun 05, 2012

Need HELP!!!   He is saying The only thing to consider would be tensioning the tendon with a repeat surgery, however, this may lead to decreased flexion and S/L Jurger's effect ...

If Our New Insurance Goes Into Effect 7/1, Is There
Jun 22, 2012

any sort of waiting period after that, or can we start using it that very week? I would like to go get an overdue mammogram since this is the first time I've had insurance in a few years. ...

Affect And ?? Appear Appropriate
Jul 22, 2010

"Gait and coordination are intact.  Affect and ----- appear appropriate."  Almost sounds like "episode."  Part of a regular physical examination. You can tell I've been stuck on Ortho for a year, because I've forgotten how to do physical examinations.  Ugh. ...

Since The First Time Right Went Into Effect, I Am Proud
Mar 05, 2010

to say that none of my reports have been submitted to QA.  I am amazed at how quickly I became multilingual.  Thanks MQ.  ...

S/l Sylatory Or Syatory Effect
Dec 02, 2010

Doctor states:        In this setting, she appropriately said that she is not certain whether the midodrine, which she has recently begun, has had a x/l sylatory or siatory effect.  Any help is appreciated.  The patient has severe orthostatic hypotension if that helps and this doc is a cardiologist. Thank you ...

Side Affect
Dec 21, 2009

She has severe arthritis in the hips which is chronic and was attributed to previous use of steroids and due to cause (divedious). What could this word be? Does anyone know? ...

How ICD-10 Will Affect Transcription
Sep 04, 2013

Just wanted some thoughts on this article with regards to transcription. Scroll down to How Will The New System Help... http://www.m-scribe.com/blog/bid/214013/Medical-Documentation-and-Coding-Demand-Will-Increase-with-ICD-10 ...

I Knew It. Our First HIPPA Lawsuit! Could Effect MT's.
Jan 26, 2010

I have GOT TO GET OUT OF THIS SWEAT SHOP SO CALLED PROFESSION!! Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal filed the lawsuit on January 12, 2010. In the complaint, Blumenthal alleges that last May a portable disk drive containing Personal Health Information (PHI), social security numbers, and bank account numbers from about 1.5 million customers disappeared while in transit between Connecticut and California. The company did not inform any gover ...

Affect Appears To Be Somewhat Elusive?
Mar 03, 2010

Does this make sense?   The patient's affect appears to be somewhat elusive. This is what it sounds like he is saying. tia. ...

Will Obama's New Employment Law Affect MQ?
Jul 24, 2010

It has to do with requiring employers to reveal employees' salaries regarding sex, race and national origin of employees.  Will this mean MQ will have to pay the Indians more?  How about paying us more fairly?  Any thoughts on this? ...

Wonder How The Webmedx Layoffs Will Affect
Sep 02, 2010

I wonder if this is an "open the floodgates" kind of thing and will have a domino effect and more companies (like Medquist) will start laying off, too. Anybody have any comment on this? ...

Did This Affect Hourly Employees At All?
Dec 11, 2012

x ...

Side Effect To Chemo....s/l Desbusia, Grade 1
Dec 03, 2009

. ...

Is Obamacare Going To Affect Coding In A Negative Way? Nm
Jan 12, 2015

x ...

I Wonder How The New Health Care Bill Will Affect Our Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I.e., how will Medquist use the new bill to their benefit? ...

If All Work Eventually Goes Overseas, How Does That Affect MTSOs?
Jul 15, 2014

It seems it would behoove them to keep the work here unless they will remotely manage. ...

ADHD - Possible Medication Side Effect Causing Eating Problems?
Oct 06, 2010

I realize some of the ADHD medications can cause weight loss but have never heard of this and not sure - although it's very clear - can someone help? Patient is a 6-year-old white male currently taking Concerta 27 mg daily, methylphenidate 5 mg in the afternoon.  Taking the weekends off for s/l some pensatory eating. Thanks!   ...

WEBMEDX Line Counting Could Affect ALL MTSOs,a Must Read
Aug 19, 2010

http://www.executivehm.com/article/Transcription-in-the-21st-century/ This article (above link)  has quotes from present COO of Wedmedx who is President of MTIA and used to be former Spheris boss.  This article explains how the MTSOs want our lines counted.  It explains how they want to take away all keystrokes that cannot be seen by the naked eye.  Won't this effectively save the hospitals and MTSOs from paying MTs for up to 1/3 of the keystrokes w ...

Psych Word - Affect Is Labile And _____ (S/L Sil-lian)
Dec 17, 2011

Affect is labile and _____ (S/L sil-lian).  She is also manipulative.  Any ideas?    ...

Side Effect Of Radiation Therapy, S/l Merdy Or Verdy Necrosis Of Mandible.
Aug 15, 2011

:) ...