A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Hey East MT, HDS2Coder start back up yet? - CT

Posted: May 30, 2014

n/m

Yes and in fact things seem to be going a lot better - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just focusing on ICD9 is a tremendous relief!

But ICD-10 is not just going to disappear. - justouthere

[ In Reply To ..]
Could have a very short-lived coding career with that.

Oh, good grief! - It sure might "just disappear"!

[ In Reply To ..]
EastMT, don't pay any attention to that! Sheesh! What people won't come up with to discourage others!

You are right, it is a lot easier to learn ICD-9 by itself. Once you do that, it will only take 5 to 15 hours to transition to ICD-10-CM. ICD-10-PCS is so different there is no transitioning to speak of...you just learn it outright.

There is no guarantee that there will ever be a change to ICD-10. It very well might "just disappear." Regardless, you need to learn ICD-9 right now so you can work.

Speaking from experience here -- I know and use both.

I dont recall where I said we would not ever learn ICD10 - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We will focus on that closer to October 2015. Right now we are focusing on what we can use right now, today, so we can complete the course in a reasonable amount of time. It makes no sense to learn conversions at this point when ICD-10 is over a year away. I do appreciate your concern, though, justoutthere.

How much longer do you have, East? - sm - Tink

[ In Reply To ..]
I had thought the program was originally supposed to be done sometime this month, but wasn't sure with the delay. So glad things are better now! Do you know if they're are going to offer the program again later this year?

Not sure, Tink - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be my fervent hope we could transition into the apprenticeship program as originally scheduled, the end of June. But i'm not holding my breath, to be honest. We are supposed to have a conference call on Friday, maybe we will learn more then.
Thank you, East... - Tink
[ In Reply To ..]
I hope things work out well for you. We're all pulling for ya!!
thanks! - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Why is it a relief? Is it easier to learn than ICD-10? - student

[ In Reply To ..]
I started an online program that teaches 10, but since the delay, I now have to start all over learning ICD-9. Not really sure what to expect.

well the conversion can be tricky and time consuming - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We just have a limited amount of time to spend on it and it was a little much, to be honest.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other - Sm

[ In Reply To ..]
For the most part, the numbers and some of the guidelines change. That's about all. You still look them up the same.

Since you aren't supposed to be memorizing codes, anyway, there shouldn't be a problem.

Actually in ICD-10 PCS - you do not
[ In Reply To ..]
PCS is entirely different. The names of procedures have changed too. Do you even code?
They have not gotten to PCS yet. - Discussion was about CM.
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, PCS is completely different, but they are still doing CM. My comments were in that context.

Yes, I do happen to code and I have been teaching and using ICD-10-CM and PCS for more than 3 years.

ICD-10-PCS is so different that you just abandon the other and start over. I might disagree that the names of procedures are "different." There are just many possible synonyms and the classification system uses formal terms for the purpose of that classification. The names of the procedures stay the same on the physician's end.

How can you possibly know? - It was never specified
[ In Reply To ..]
in the conversation just exactly how much they have been taught up to this point. Also, if you are as well versed in PCS as you claim, I hope you are teaching the fact that no eponyms are used in PCS. That is a huge change in terminology regarding the names of procedures. But I'm sure you know that already, as you've been using PCS for 3 years. Lol.
So what? "Appendectomy" is not used either. - NAMES, per se, are not used.
[ In Reply To ..]
As I said, it is completely different.

Stop trying to one-up me. It isn't helping your case any.

So what??? - And you say you are
[ In Reply To ..]
a trainer in PCS? And you don't understand the significance of not using eponyms? I am not trying to one up you . . . However I am having a hard time believing you are a coder. So a doctor gives you a procedure that is an eponym. And yet PCS does not use eponyms. Therefore you can not find the procedure under the eponym the doctor gave you. You have to understand the procedure enough to know what body parts are involved in said procedure. That's a big change and a big so what. You also have to know what approach is used for said procedure. All of course which you should know, had you been using PCS for 3 years.
Are you a student? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
You appear to be a student. That is the only explanation for such a sophomoric argument, not to mention the fact that you don't seem to be aware yet that we don't code from the name of a procedure.

It makes no difference if the doctor gives you an eponym, because we code from the narrative description. Nothing new in that, either; that is how we code in CPT.

Besides, if you don't know what something is, you can always look it up.
Are you capable of disagreeing with someone - without insulting them
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh wait, we know the answer to that one. Nope, not a student any more than you claim to be. Although I'm constantly learning. If you are going to post nontruths in the future, perhaps you should back them up with facts and not insults. Lol.
You have been attacking her throughout - this thread.
[ In Reply To ..]
You have been attacking her and disparaging her qualifications from her first post in this thread! Good grief!

Your argument is not with what she says. It is just an effort to be confrontational and disagree.
Nope. I disagree with what she says. - I have no knowledge
[ In Reply To ..]
of her qualifications, although she never answered how she knew what the MModal students had studied already.
See, the way I see it, when you try to negate - the post by the MModal
[ In Reply To ..]
coding student who prefers working in ICD-9, by saying essentially that 9 and 10 are the same . . . . I am just going to have to disagree. I don't know how much they have learned, because I have no connection with MModal, but there are many, many things that have changed, including coding guidelines. It isn't the same. And a lot of people would agree, evidenced by employers offering retention bonuses for coders who stay through ICD-10, employers who focus heavily on educating their coders in ICD-10, and schools who have switched training from 9 to 10, and now back again. It seems your intention is to make the coding students feel stupid. I am just here to say that I've done both 9 and 10, extensively, and they are not the same.
Uh, no one "negated" the MM coding trainee ... - she was supported.
[ In Reply To ..]
No one said what you claim they said. No one said 9 and 10 were the same. No one negated or devalued the MM person.

It is absolutely fascinating that you can twist things around like that.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other - Means they are the same
[ In Reply To ..]
It's more interesting to me that you can comment on posts you evidently haven't even read.
Yes, the subject line implied they are the same. - But read the actual message.
[ In Reply To ..]
The message content qualifies the headline statement, and you would realize that if you bothered to actually read it.

And I agree with what they are saying. The process of looking up the codes and needing to refer to a set of official guidelines IS the same.

It is bad having to keep track of two different system guidelines when just starting out learning coding, though, and that is probably what the MModal coder meant by it was a relief to just have to learn 9.

I can't understand how this was turned into such an argument.
I did read the actual post - and it was condescending
[ In Reply To ..]
But so glad you jumped in to argue that you can't figure out why people are arguing. That's helpful. LOL.
Can you explain exactly what you thought was - condescending?
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see what is condescending.

"For the most part, the numbers and some of the guidelines change. That's about all. You still look them up the same. Since you aren't supposed to be memorizing codes anyway, there shouldn't be a problem."

That was in response to someone who said she was not sure what to expect after her online program switched back to 9. She was not the MModal coder, either, as you said above.

Of course I can - As can the other four
[ In Reply To ..]
people who voted their dislike to that post. The question is, should I? The onus is on the poster of the message to consider not just the words coming out of their mouth, but how they will be received. I do understand that, as coders, many of us do not have the opportunity to practice our interpersonal communication skills, so now may be a good teachable moment. Can you not find any reason why four people in addition to myself would find that particular message distasteful?
If you cannot explain, that is the - end of the discussion
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
You still won't read posts? - Kind of hard to carry on
[ In Reply To ..]
a so called "discussion" with someone so lacking in insight. Four people disliked that post. Why should any of us have to school you in effective communication skills? Figure it out yourself. You are wasting my time.
The responses on your side of this "discussion" - are classic examples of
[ In Reply To ..]
The posts on your side of the "discussion" are classic examples of verbally abusive behavior.
Your comment insults everyone who has - actually experienced
[ In Reply To ..]
abuse. Someone disagreeing with you does not constitute abuse.
Can we move this post over? - We cant see it!
[ In Reply To ..]
x
How far can this go??? - Scroll over
[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Thanks for the updates, East MT, very much - appreciated nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Glad to hear it East MT! - RCG

[ In Reply To ..]
I learned 9, then 10, now back to 9 again. I am actually enjoying being back in 9. As a new coder, it really is nice to focus on one (or the other), but not coding both at the same time. Please keep us updated!

Similar Messages:

Are YOU Ready And Willing To Start To Fight Back
Jan 19, 2013

I have thought long and hard about this,  but obviously cannot do it alone.  According to this Website, we are at least 20,000 strong.  So many of us have watched this job go from one in which we were compensated for our hard work, DAILY continued education, ability to change with the times and dedication to the person on the other side of the reports we type,  to one of it BETTER be accurate, you BETTER do it faster or we WILL find someone else who will for less money than w ...

Is HDS2Coder Finished Yet?
Jul 14, 2014

xx ...

East
Apr 11, 2014

How was your test?  I'm hoping it turned out easier than you thought. ...

If I Start Some Coding Training, Do I Need To Start Learning ICD-9 Or ICD-10?
Jan 09, 2010

nm ...

East/West
Mar 07, 2014

I have a question. Do the TCMs still have their book of business or when we run out of work on our "old" section, are we automatically switched to another section? I work night shift and I see lots of unassigned work but never seem to get any of those. Just wondering. TIA ...

East MT And Other MM HDS2Coders, How Is The
Jan 30, 2015

program going? Are you done with the training and actually coding on the job yet? Do you know if they're going to be offering this training again? Good luck to all of you. I wish you success! ...

WHOOPEE!! NJA Old North Now East-- Anybody Else?
Mar 27, 2014

Thought perhaps things were getting a LITTLE better.  HA!  Jokes on me ...

To East MT And All Other MM Coder Trainees...
Apr 06, 2014

would you please come back here occasionally and update us on how things are going? I would love to know how this program works and how you all feel about it. I understand how posting on here you get attacked by rude people but I'm not one of them and would honestly like to hear your perspective on this program. A big thank you if you choose to keep us updated but I understand if you don't. Good luck to all of you. ...

East MT - What's Been Going On With The Coder Program Lately?
Jul 25, 2014

Do you know when you might finish and start doing coding work? Do you think they'll offer the program again? Thanks for any information. Good luck to all of you in the program. ...

364 Jobs In The Entire East Region?
Feb 06, 2014

What the ding dang dong is happening?  I get the feeling that they are routing work differently between offshore and onshore.  Its just strange that the west feel off the face of the planet and now the east is sinking.  Where is the person who always manages to get the inside scoop?  I would like an explanation. ...

Huge Account Going To Epic In The East Tomorrow
Jan 31, 2014

20 MTs are being moved elsewhere.   ...

East Indian Doctor: Sounds Something Like Suprator Jerks
Jun 30, 2010

Muscle system examination showed no wasting or weakness of any groups of muscles.  Sensory system examination showed no lateralizing deficits.  The biceps jerks were 1+ on both sides.  The triceps jerks were absent bilaterally, and the ___ jerks could not be elevated. ...

My Start Menu Is Sideways And My Desk Top Is Sieways As Well And The Start Menu Is In The Upper Righ
Aug 12, 2013

My start menu is in the upper right hand corner and the desk top is on the side.  How can I fix it? ...

East Indian Doctor: S/l Isointense Smiles/miles/mild
Jun 30, 2010

Accordingly, MRI of the cervical spine without contrast was done on February 28, 2009 and was reported by the radiologist as showing intradural extramedullary isointense ___ at T3 producing deformity on the spinal cord and mild-to-moderate stenosis.  Differential diagnosis included hemangiomas, metastasis, schwannoma, or neurofibroma or metastatic disease.   Thanks in advance. ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...

Dang It - DQS Back Up But My Job Did Not Come Back To Me.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

I'm Back...I'm Back In The Saddle Again!!!!
Jul 02, 2014

Back to being an MT, and yes, I am excited about that. ...

When Does PTO Start?
Apr 06, 2011

I was told when I was hired that PTO started acruing immediately.  But my sup says no, but doesn't seem to want to tell me when it starts.  I think it stinks I was told immediately and it evidently doesn't start immediately.  ...

Where To Start
Aug 23, 2011

I would like to how you became coders? I saw someone went to Andrews, is that where most of you went?  I was a coder at a local hospital about 12 years ago.  I was taught on the job, no schooling at all.  I know things are changing and have changed significantly since I coded, and the way it sounds ICD-9 is going to ICD-10.  What suggestions would you give someone like me?  I also did transcription and have been doing that for the last 25 or so years, but I do not like t ...

Trying To Start IC
Mar 15, 2012

Hi All, Some IC questions for all you ICers out there.... 1) I know cpl is a 65-character line by most standards, but how do you calculate headers and patient info such as DOB, PatientID#'s etc.? 2) Also, how do you write a contract up for places who want to hire you as an IC? 3) What are some of the most important things to include in your IC contract in your opinion? 4) Software...do you need "platforms" such as everyone talks about on these forums that they use for th ...

What A Way To Start A Day - OOW
Jul 04, 2013

So I get to stay tethered to my house while my hubs and son go to a state park for a party.  I wish I could just leave but I'm not the kind of person to do that, I'd feel too bad.  Oh well, time to play some games ...

Start Looking Now!
Nov 02, 2014

This is specifically for ambulatory care MTs.  The axe has fallen and it will probably get worse, if that is possible.  I got out a month ago and am I ever happy that I did, after hearing what the new exciting changes are.  But I started applying, testing and even trying out other places months ago, and it took a while to finally find a good small, keep-work-in-the-USA and care about our team company.  Start looking now, because the resumes will be flooding any and all good-s ...

Been Away From MT For 10 Yrs - Where Do I Start?
Jan 05, 2015

I was an MT for 14 years with multi-specialty experience.  I have been out of the field for 10 years.  I am interested in getting back to it.  I have some questions:  -Should I work on Certification before finding a job?  Should I get Registered before Certification? -What equipment/software is generally being used this days for at-home/contractor? -What is the average PPL?  -How does straight transcription compare to VR editor as far as pay? -Right now I live ...

Pay .07 Per Line To Start
Nov 02, 2009

I've never been paid by the line.  I have over 10 years radiology experience, and this company wants to hire me with radiology experience at .07 per line "to start".....is this decent pay?  I'd have to type at least 1500 lines a day to make decent money.  Is that a lot of lines to do in a day?  Med Trans?  Ever heard of it? ...

Going To Start Coding
Apr 04, 2010

I am wanting to start coding in the next month.  I have a question though.  Does it make a difference if you have a certificate or associates in it?  Is one better than the other? ...

My Job Will Not Load. What A Way To Start The Day
Aug 23, 2010

x ...

When Does The New Pay Period Start/end?
Dec 09, 2010

Just wanted to know when the end of the pay period was or beginning.  Is Monday, 12/13 start of the new pay period?  I know pay is every two weeks. ...

S/L Primiformis Start
Jul 11, 2011

underwent closed reduction and intramedullary nailing with a Piriformis start nail and ...

Start Your Own Business
Jul 29, 2011

I am really tired of working for other people and have them treat you like dirt all the while making millions of bucks off our hard work. Has anyone looked into starting their own company?  What resources are required and how does one go about licensing, getting clients, etc.? Any information on this topic would be helpful.  Please don't reply if you have anything negative to say.  Just want some good clean advice  :) ...