A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

East - Been thinking of you

Posted: Apr 11, 2014

How was your test?  I'm hoping it turned out easier than you thought.

Weekly Updates? Maybe? - CT

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe East can give us weekly summaries... I am very interested in how they're getting along and how many of them were successful for the first exam.

So, if you're popping in, East, we're still curious!

thank you! - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
well the test "auto scored" when we got done with it. So far no one has reported a score over 92. but we were told to ignore those scores that the test would be hand graded and we would know what our real grades were tomorrow. The lowest I have seen is 86. I'm not sure if we will all make it past today but I don't see why they would put all this time and effort into a program and NOT let us keep going. We had to read the entire book in less than 2 weeks so I think even the 86 is an amazing score. I will let you know what they tell us tomorrow.

I agree with you - It would make no sense

[ In Reply To ..]
to take you this far and then fail you all. I'm sorry -- I was really thinking it would probably be a lot easier than you thought, but I guess I was wrong. good luck!

How did you do East - and others?

[ In Reply To ..]
Were your test scores high enough? I think, like some others said, that coding will not be any easier, but I am hoping maybe they will take more time with it.

I did not see anyones adjusted score below 96 :) - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
We were all pretty ecstatic!! Just to be clear if it has not been mentioned before not all 60 of us are on the Facebook group so I can't be sure if all 60 students made the cut.

Next book is Understanding ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS. Looks like we will be getting through the book in about 3 weeks or so.
Did they say why the score needed adjusted? - Was the test wrong
[ In Reply To ..]
That is aggravating that you worried the whole time if you had passed or not. Did they let you know your mistakes so you could learn from them?
no to all - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x
That is a good book. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Nm
actually there was one who didnt pass - as far as i have seen
[ In Reply To ..]
bummer
I sure hope you have more than 3 weeks to get through that - book.
[ In Reply To ..]
It's 37 chapters plus appendices. Yikes! Congrats on doing so well on your test. I'm cheering you all on!

East...would you recommend other MM MTs to try the next time around? - Tink

[ In Reply To ..]
I wanted to try for it this last time around, but we had a lot of family obligations going on and I knew I would miss several classes. I think I'd really like to do the coding program, but don't want to jump into something that is so intensive that I'm so busy with school and work that I can't take care of my family. Also, if something comes up, do they let you have ANY leeway at all if you need to miss a class? Can you make it up? Is your class schedule a set time every day for everyone, or do you get to pick what times you do your class work? Do you find that you end up putting in more than 4 hours of class time per day? Sorry for all of the questions, but I know you will tell it like it is!! Thank you in advance!! =)

The test was a complete nightmare. - v1.04

[ In Reply To ..]
The course is tough and intense, but the test was just downright cruel! I will know tomorrow if I am still in - who knows?

Wow I'm sorry - Maybe

[ In Reply To ..]
They will keep everyone anyway.

Thanks! Hope springs eternal! - v1.04 (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
:D

what sort of test was it? did it just cover info about - icd-10 in general?

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine you would have started the actual coding concepts yet, but I don't know....

It covered a whole health information management textbook. - Only touched on coding so far...

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually think the coding will be easier than THAT was, at least in some ways.
I think it will be too - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I can't imagine it would be harder than learning that entire book in less than 2 weeks. People are still coming in with grades, from 82-96 now so someone was actually able to pass it just off the bat like that. I will say this to those who plan on applying in July: Do not think you are just going to walk in and become a coder. This is serious training with tons of work involved. Hopefully we will know something soon about our final grades.
?Are they doing this program again in July for MTs - On The Sidelines
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm too old to be considered, but I hope it goes well this time for everybody involved.

What did they want you to score to pass?

If you ultimately had to be dropped from the program, would you rather it be the first 2 weeks or the last 2 weeks? I think I'd want to know sooner rather than putting in a lot of time just to get burned in the end.
You have to make a 95 to pass all exams, quizzes and reviews - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
You are right, the first 2 weeks.

Someone on here I can't remember if it was the coding or MModal board said they had spoken to a higher up and they are planning to do it again. Like I said above they are already training 25 RHIT to be coders as well as the 60 MTs so this appears to be a non stop process. I do not think transcription will be in long term future for MModal.
MM continues to acquire new transcription accounts, - so it is probable that they...
[ In Reply To ..]
Will continue as is with the transcription side of things, but they are obviously hoping to corner the market with coding.
Did they say an age that is too old? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
An opinion - Not MM
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not in the MM coding program but I have gone through a formal coding program. I don't want to discourage you but it does not get easier. It is official that the ICD-10 start date has been postponed until at least September 2015 so you have plenty of time to learn that, I would expect you'll get some training in 9 as well. Good luck.
Probably not easier, no. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
To put things into perspective, a "3-hour" college course, which would cover that book, would be based on 3 hours of instructional time per week. You essentially had 10 weeks of that, or the equivalent of a college course. You now have 5 more of those "courses" to go.

I think you will find that they will be intense. Consider the course you just finished to be a warm-up.

If you take the CCA exam, you will see the material you just learned on it. Less of it will be on the CCS, and very little on the CPC. You will use it while working as a coder.

If you decide to take an RHIT program, you can possibly test out of one of the courses using what you just learned. It's usually HIT 101 or something like that ... often called Principles of HIT.

well as long as it's intensive in a different direction i dont mind - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
that was just nuts
It wont be as much unrelated material - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Everything will be tied together, have a useful purpose, and it will all build on what went before.

HIT 101 is a "survey" course. A smattering of everything. After that, an HIT program would then have courses to expand on each big area, like record management, privacy, statistics, and coding.
May I ask the name of the book? - coding student
[ In Reply To ..]
Please and thank you....
I think they said it was this one... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Michelle Green, Essentials of Health Information Technology ...

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Health-Information-Management-Principles/dp/1439060185/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397310430&sr=1-1&keywords=health+information+technology+green

thats it - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Some more suggestions - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
These are used in RHIA programs, so they are bigger and contain more detail. Look for a used copy of a current or the last edition; any older and they will be too far out of date. Things are changing really fast in HIM due to technological advances, laws, etc.

Mervat Abdelhak is used in RHIA programs. It is a very good book. It is informative, but readable. It s my favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Information-Management-Strategic-Resource/dp/1437708870/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

LaTour is an AHIMA publication. It is not as readable as Abdelhak --it is just crammed fact after fact.

http://www.amazon.com/Information-Management-Concepts-Principles-Practice/dp/B00ESVA7GO/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397311619&sr=1-3&keywords=health+information+management

I definitely don't recommend this next one. It is another AHIMA publication used in 2-year HIT programs and is stupefyingly boring.

http://www.amazon.com/Health-Information-Management-Technology-Approach/dp/1584263520/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397311619&sr=1-6&keywords=health+information+management

Thanks! I have the LaTour one for another course. - V1.04
[ In Reply To ..]
And I actually think it is too of date - just my opinion. I guess by the time these books are published they are necessarily going to be out of date, though.

Similar Messages:

East/West
Mar 07, 2014

I have a question. Do the TCMs still have their book of business or when we run out of work on our "old" section, are we automatically switched to another section? I work night shift and I see lots of unassigned work but never seem to get any of those. Just wondering. TIA ...

East MT And Other MM HDS2Coders, How Is The
Jan 30, 2015

program going? Are you done with the training and actually coding on the job yet? Do you know if they're going to be offering this training again? Good luck to all of you. I wish you success! ...

WHOOPEE!! NJA Old North Now East-- Anybody Else?
Mar 27, 2014

Thought perhaps things were getting a LITTLE better.  HA!  Jokes on me ...

To East MT And All Other MM Coder Trainees...
Apr 06, 2014

would you please come back here occasionally and update us on how things are going? I would love to know how this program works and how you all feel about it. I understand how posting on here you get attacked by rude people but I'm not one of them and would honestly like to hear your perspective on this program. A big thank you if you choose to keep us updated but I understand if you don't. Good luck to all of you. ...

East MT - What's Been Going On With The Coder Program Lately?
Jul 25, 2014

Do you know when you might finish and start doing coding work? Do you think they'll offer the program again? Thanks for any information. Good luck to all of you in the program. ...

364 Jobs In The Entire East Region?
Feb 06, 2014

What the ding dang dong is happening?  I get the feeling that they are routing work differently between offshore and onshore.  Its just strange that the west feel off the face of the planet and now the east is sinking.  Where is the person who always manages to get the inside scoop?  I would like an explanation. ...

Hey East MT, HDS2Coder Start Back Up Yet?
May 30, 2014

n/m ...

Huge Account Going To Epic In The East Tomorrow
Jan 31, 2014

20 MTs are being moved elsewhere.   ...

East Indian Doctor: Sounds Something Like Suprator Jerks
Jun 30, 2010

Muscle system examination showed no wasting or weakness of any groups of muscles.  Sensory system examination showed no lateralizing deficits.  The biceps jerks were 1+ on both sides.  The triceps jerks were absent bilaterally, and the ___ jerks could not be elevated. ...

East Indian Doctor: S/l Isointense Smiles/miles/mild
Jun 30, 2010

Accordingly, MRI of the cervical spine without contrast was done on February 28, 2009 and was reported by the radiologist as showing intradural extramedullary isointense ___ at T3 producing deformity on the spinal cord and mild-to-moderate stenosis.  Differential diagnosis included hemangiomas, metastasis, schwannoma, or neurofibroma or metastatic disease.   Thanks in advance. ...