A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Andrews school...which course to take? - JC

Posted: Nov 13, 2012

This may not be the right board, but I thought I would put it here. I have been interested in taking the coding course through Andrews for over a year now. I was just wondering if that is the way to go or if I should take a different course that they are now offering. They now offer billing and medical management. I know that medical transcription is out because I am already a transcriptionist and that is not going well. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you.

I've been trying to decide about that too - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
I know most here will say take the coding class, there are more opportunities for advancement and the pay is better, but it sounds so difficult that I think if you aren't totally committed to being a coder and just want a JOB, billing might be the way to go. Welcome opinions.

Opinions - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you should do what you WANT to do based on your on research into what the job is and what the job prospects and income are in your area.

I also think you need to be totally committed to whatever you choose because if you are not your lack of interest will communicate itself to prospective employers later.

If all you want is a JOB, I suggest you try getting one of those JOBS at MacDonald's or Walmart. I t should not take more than a few months to help you adjust your interest in a more stable job that offers better pay and opportunity.

I think you are mistaken if you think billing or medical office management are just JOBS, Billing is a lot of hard work and MOM requires organizational ability and way above average people skills. And you do need to learn some coding along with them, so I am not sure either is for you if you fear "difficult" topics.

At any rate, judging the difficulty of a career by what random people here say, or by what you think they are saying, isn't very smart. Coding is, in fact, going to be too difficult for many people. It requires the ability to succeed in college-level work, make logical decisions, and to be able to read and understand medical documentation.

Not everyone has that level of reading ability. When you look at community college students in coding classes, the ones who wash out do not read well. When you look at RHITs and RHIAs who do not want to or cannot code, many of them do not read as well as those who code.

If you read well, coding will not be overly difficult for you. You will still have to make an effort to learn new material, but that is the case with anything.

If you are an MT, you probably have above-average literacy skills. If you could not read and write well, you would not be an MT. Consequently, you are probably well-suited for coding.

Oh well someone below said it was just a job - so that is why I said that

[ In Reply To ..]
pardon me; did not mean to offend. I do not want to work at either McDonalds or Wal-Mart.
Absolutely no one was offended. - Gave advice because you asked for it
[ In Reply To ..]
You asked for advice and advice was given. It disagreed with the view you expressed, but that does not mean anyone was offended.

Your career is up to you. I would not make the decision based on negative, anonymous opinions. Do your own research so that you will be more likely to come up with something that suits you.

I actually talked to Linda Andrews and Glenda.. - JC

[ In Reply To ..]
and they both had some pretty good valid points about taking billing rather than coding. Linda said if you don't have the time or money to put into coding right now you could start with billing to get your feet wet. She also said I may like billing and decide not to go to coding. I have a lot to think about. I would go with what you want to do. I'm really thinking about starting with billing first and seeing where that takes me.

That is a reasonable approach - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Time and money are valid concerns that would point toward starting wih billing. Coders know about billing, even if they are not the person sending the bill out and tracking payments, so learning billing first is a valid stepping-stone.

Reply - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The Andrews "test" for admission into the billing program is a joke. Basically, they ask for your personal information (home address and telephone number required) and then ask you to summarize your work/educational background and tell why you want to enter the program, it's supposed to assess your ability to follow directions, I would think almost anyone would meet their criteria. Then, after you "pass" you are asked to submit your application along with your payment. I had problems with that, maybe you don't.
Interesting - Hmm
[ In Reply To ..]
Interesting that you seem to see some kind of nefarious plot in that.

You don't approve of what they are testing. (Maybe you were offended that it was too easy or perhaps you didn't pass.) You don't like having to tell them who you are, which I would guess enables them to know who took the test. Them you don't like being accepted and allowed to enroll. (Hmm, wasn't that why you took the test? To enroll? So what IS your issue?)

I have taken their tests before. To me, they seem like no-brainers. I passed, but after working for some years, I realize that not everyone can pass a test like that.

I don't know what you expected to be on a test like that -- calculus or something -- but I think following instructions and demonstrating literacy by writing why you want to take the course is probably right on the mark.

You might not realize that many, many people do not have the skills required to read the course materials and understand them, or to succeed on the job, and that many more do not understand what the job is to begin with. Most online schools simply allow everyone to enroll, take their money, and let the ones who cannot make it fail. Andrews, at least, tries to sort out folks who wouldn't make it. That seems honest and ethical to me.

Intersting that you would find fault with that.
Testing - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Asking for someone's personal info is not a test. This school is supposed to be cream of the crop, I just expected them to have higher standards or different criteria for admitting students to their program, perhaps some multiple choice questions (HIPAA, medical terms?) in addition to the bio.
HIPAA? Med terms? BEFORE taking the course?? - That would be unreasonable.
[ In Reply To ..]
It would be unreasonable to expect a prospective student to already know the material in the course. Why would they need to take it if they knew it already? And where would they have learned it?

Asking for your name and phone number is not the test, but how else would they know whose test it was?

Sorry, but you seem to be way off the mark with your expectations.

It may be that you think these courses are for experienced medical professionals, but they are not. Coding and billing courses do not require any expertise in medicine or HIPAA because they teach what you need to know.
Not an unreasonable expectation if... - Been there
[ In Reply To ..]
That's not an unreasonable expectation if they are testing someone who is supposed to have experience in the industry. The programs at Andrews are generally written for someone with no medical background so I think that's why they don't test that way. Unfortunately on this board it wouldn't matter. If a program actually tested those things because it was geared for someone with experience in health care, this group wouldn't like that either.

Andrews School - Kat

[ In Reply To ..]
I am attending Andrews School in the Coding Program. I find Coding to interesting and challenging.

Coding/billing - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of the coders I know are clueless about billing as they consider it demeaning and beneath their dignity. Billing is a job, coding is a job, MT is a job as are many other things, it does not mean one is better than the other.

Coding probably does have more opportunities - downtime

[ In Reply To ..]
for advancement, I mean. But not everyone is looking for that; it kind of depends on your stage of life among other things.

Are you a coder or biller? - Question

[ In Reply To ..]
Doesn't coding pay more than billing and offer more room for advancement into other areas of HIM? Both coding and billing pay more than MT. Yes coding and billing and MT are jobs, not anyone better than the other, but maybe some want better pay and are willing to work hard to get it. You seem to paint coders as clueless divas who think they are better than everyone else. Is this really the case?
Divas - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
From what I have read here, clueless no, divas yes. I do know that this board does not represent the majority, though. I'm a trained coder working in HIM. I was an MT and that job paid better than anything else but my department was closed and the work was outsourced. Entry level coders generally are paid similar to billing clerks but there are more opportunities in coding. Credentialed coders, especially those with a CCS, make better salaries than those with a CPC.

Divanomics - Clued-in Diva
[ In Reply To ..]
When MTs look at coding and billing salaries, they often look at entry-level positions as if that is as far as it goes. If the entry salary somewhere near you is X, they think every coder makes X and makes X forever.

I think this is because MT salaries have been stuck for so long at one rate, either some pennies per line on a national level or something like 10/hr at the few hospitals that still have MTs. Everybody makes the same thing and it never seems to change. (Except, now, to go down.)

It is helpful to look at the AAPC and AHIMA salary surveys. The 2012 AAPC survey showed the average coder salary around 40K, I think, with certified coders making more. The average salary is not the only salary. Some coders make less and some more.

The mistake most MTs make is thinking that is the end of it. It is not . . . coding progressses into higher levels of experience, higher-paid specialties (certified interventional coders were making 70K at one point), other jobs like documentation improvement and compliance, and auditing. There is often a considerable amount of overtime available at hospitals, as well as bonuses. RHIAs who can code can work for contract auditing firms that pay well enough that I know some doing straight coding making more than 100K part-time in addition to their day job.

Keep in mind that the coding positions you see advertised are often entry-level and the salary listed for ANY coding position is likely to be the low end for that job. Higher positions are often filled from within. They are often not called "coder" or "coding," either. You can miss entire groups of jobs if you do not know what they are called at a particular organization.

Billing jobs, on the other hand, tend to have a narrow pay range. That job does not go much of anywhere. Billing salaries are generally below salaries for straight coding, although coding andcoding-related jobs keep on going. Entry-level coder salaries may overlap the top of the biller range at some facilities, but that reflects the high need for training provided to those coders and the coder can move out of that range usually within a year or two.

Coders start thinking like divas because their employers tend to treat them that way. There is a shortage of qualified coders, for one thing. It is not easy to learn and most employers cannot train them on the job. The job is complex and the employer's financial health depends on coding. This is not just to bring in money, but to d so ethically and legally. The stakes in coding are very high.

Divas - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I made nearly $20 hourly (I did not work on production) as an MT and when that job went away I took a $3.00 an hour pay cut to work in a HIM/coding related position. I'm nearing retirement age. Perhaps I'll work my way back up to where I was, perhaps not. A lot of how far a person advances in the coding world depends on their age and the job opportunities available to them where they reside. Everyone respects what you do and are in awe of your amazing knowledge, but keep in mind that just as MT saw a "wage readjustment" and other professions as nursing and teaching went through the same thing, it can happen with coding too. Employers are only willing to pay what the market will bear, even if you do bring in money.
Hear what you are saying - Happy Diva
[ In Reply To ..]
I hear what you are saying, but wonder if you are aware that you have an almost overwhelmingly negative, sour, embittered take on things.

OK, fine that you found a HIM position when your job was cut, but do you have to express your dislike/contempt/resentment of coders, or whatever it is, here? And seek to discourage others from moving into that profession?

I think most of the "Anonymous" posts on this forum now are yours. The writing style and negativity are the same in all. They all seem to have a "yes, but" thinking to them.
To Happy Diva - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
I was merely pointing out that MT salaries are not all the same, not everyone makes, or was making $8 or $10 to per hour. For those who are, I hope you can do what makes you happy. Not everyone who goes into coding will make more money or as much as they expected to make, there is nothing wrong with telling the truth. And I'm not sour or embittered, just someone who realizes that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
That view is very negative. - Diva
[ In Reply To ..]
You may think you are just balancing out the lies we coders are telling, but we don't think we are lying. What I say here might not be true for YOU, but it is true for every coder I know.

And you are not even a coder, so why you feel qualified to speak against an entire profession is beyond me.

You just seem to have a mouth full of half-chewed sour grapes that you want everyone to see.

The fact that you had or have an unhappy experience with coding, including hating the coders you cannot qualify to join, does not mean everyone will have that experience.
If you don't like my writing style - Ms. Yes But
[ In Reply To ..]
That is your problem. It is obvious that you are the "yes, but" person and I don't care for that either.
It is the attitude and content, - not the writing style. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Managers need to be able to - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
make decisions. Not being snarky but, why didn't you start the coding course yet?

Are you talking to me? - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I was wondering if you were talking to me. The reason I haven't taken the coding course yet is due to finances.

It is difficult to come up with the money, but self-teaching and - Decisions are free

[ In Reply To ..]
Coming up with the money is a problem for everyone. However, you do not need money to make a decision. Once you make it, you will have a reason for comng up with the money. It will be easier. You will have a goal.

Many students have funded tuition with yard sales. Some sell all unnecessary furniture and appliances, extra dishes and kitchenware, toys, books, decorations, tools, and extra clothes. People will give you things to sell if you ask them and explain what you are doing. They also save by not buying coffee at work, not drinking, stopping smoking, cancelling cable TV, not going to movies, eliminating a phone line, selling extra cars, washing cars on weekends, cooking for friends and relatives, cleaning houses, painting, and doing yardwork.

Instead of viewing tuition as an exorbitant expense, try seeing it as an investment. Once you get a coding job, you will earn that money back quickly. Scraping up 1K and 200 a month is worth it to get a stable job with an average income in the mid-40s.

Andrews tuition is not that high, either. Some schools charge 29K or more for less.

Nothing says you have to attend a school. You can self-teach coding if you really want to.

In the last year, you could have completed Andrews. You could have completed an AAPC course in a few months. You could be certified and in a job by now. If you do not make a decision and set a goal, you will be in the same position a year from now . . . still wondering what to do.
Drinking the Kool-Aid - Choose carefully
[ In Reply To ..]
Selling your personal possessions and having no life to pay for coding school? I'd give that one some serious thought.
Well . . . - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
It isn't going to be an easy decision for everyone. Selling extra stuff in order to learn a new occupation that can get you from NJA-minimum wage to a decent job seems reasonable to me. Having no life while in school seems unavoidable because if you are watching TV, eating out, going to the movies, and everything else you are not studying. I don't think that drinking and smoking contribute much to a life.

Then again, I felt that I was drinking mountain spring water, not Kool-Aid. I was willing to swap some time and money for a better career. Now that I have that career, I am happy with my choice. The effort was well worth it. It turned out to be a very small effort for a big return.

Will that kind of investment be worth it for you? Just going by your response above, I would say no. If clutching onto personal possessions and having "a life" is that important to you, well, that is what is important to you. Even if a course was free, it would be unlikely that you would finish simply because you would be unwilling to divert your attention from your "life." Absolutely nothing wrong with that, either. We all have a right to choose for ourselves--it would be a very boring world if we all chose the same things.

Similar Messages:

Andrews School -- Job
Sep 19, 2012

I am an MT who was laid off from my job and I am seriously considering coding school.  So far, I am leaning towards Andrews, they sound the best.  My question is, will I be able to find a job that pays well afterwards?  I have looked at a few job postings online in my area and it looks like entry level coders are only 10 bucks an hour.  This concerns me as I don't want to put out a lot of money for coding school if I am not going to be making much money.  Also, ...

Best School After Andrews. Sm
Nov 08, 2013

I need financial aid.  Andrews doesn't accept Pell grants. etc.  Currently I'm on unemployment.  Been unemployed for about 2 months now.  Have been an MT for 37 years.  I applied for WIA funds (workforce investiment act) and included info about Andrews and medical coding in general, i.e., what it is, etc.  They won't pay for Andrews or coding for that matter because they say:(1)  Its a work at home job.  (2) Its an online program and they ca ...

Andrews School....
Feb 12, 2014

I think I've decided on Andrews School for coding.  My question is any recent graduates get jobs? How quickly?  All openings I've browsed look like they want 3-5 years experience...... ...

Andrews School Sm
Apr 29, 2014

Those who went through the Andrews School how long did it take to find a job? Thanks. ...

How To Pay For Andrews School?
Feb 10, 2015

If I could choose a school right now for coding, Andrews would be first choice.  I was hoping that someone could share some suggestions for paying for the course.  Right now AAPC is having a "sale" on their course which is now 50% off.  From my research, though, I think that would not be my first choice, but is muc more affordable than Andrews.  Has anyone used any of the Andrews payment plans?  How did that work out for you?  The cost seems prohibitive to me, but I ...

Question For The ANDREWS SCHOOL
May 10, 2010

Does the Andrews School curriculum go beyond what the AHIMA teaches?  I ask this question with the following (in quotations) in mind. "One common misunderstanding is that you will be ready to take the CCS exam once you complete your academic training and that is incorrect. You will be qualified to sit for the CCA exam upon completing your training program. The CCS and CCS-P are mastery credentials and reflect two to three years of full time coding experience beyond the academic preparatio ...

Andrews School Website
Jul 13, 2010

Hey everybody, I am having a problem getting onto the Andrews School website. Is anybody else having the same problem? I wanted to check into their coding courses, but every time I go to the website, I get a message telling me that internet explorer could not open the website. I 'm wondering if it's down, or is it something in my computer? Any help would be appreciated! TIA! ...

Andrews School Recommended
Nov 09, 2010

Does anyone know or can recommend the Andrews School? The cost seems to be high for the course. ...

Andrews School Of Coding A
Dec 19, 2010

Andrews School of Medical Coding and Transcription........... Just wanted to say a few words about Andrews School of Coding. 3 years ago I finished an AHIMA accredited program for Health Information, going through the program I realized there were some gaps that I needed to fill in on the coding end. I love AHIMA and being part of the organizaiton, and look forward to working in the field for a long time.  What I am finding with Andrews is that they offer an indepth, hands on training spe ...

Question About Andrews School - Sm
Apr 07, 2011

Looking at coding schools.  I saw a few here went to Andrews.  Seems to be a thorough course, albeit expensive.  Did you get your money's worth?  We you able to find a job after getting credentialed and did the course prepare you well for credential testing?  Those of you who are MTs, could you opt out of certain classes? What made you choose Andrews?  Would it be better to take the course through AHIMA or AAPC, why/why not? How long would it take to go thro ...

Andrews School Experiences
Aug 10, 2011

I am wondering if there are any current Andrews grads/students who would be willing to discuss their experiences in and out of the program. I have already spoken with Linda at length, and am now looking for an "in the trenches" perspective. Thanks! ...

Is Andrews The ONLY School Recommended??
May 26, 2012

I've read so much on this forum trying to get some good information on which school to go with, and all I can find is Andrews, Andrews, Andrews!  How can it be the only school that anybody seems willing to recommend?  Is the forum just overrun with Andrews students or is it truly the only school that anyone knows of that prepares you for the CCS exam upon graduation?  How can that be?  And believe me, I'm not criticizing the school or anyone for their opinion, I jus ...

Is Andrews The Only School You Recommend?
Sep 14, 2012

I was looking at Career Step.  No? ...

What's The Best Coding School Outside Of Andrews?
Aug 03, 2013

I was wondering what the best coding school is, other than Andrews? ...

IS ANYONE ELSE SKEPTICAL OF ANDREWS SCHOOL?
May 14, 2015

I am an MT. I really want to do the Andrews School, but probably from being an MT, I just feel beaten down and depressed and I am afraid to be taken advantage of.  On this site, there are so many  people who went to Andrews and got such wonderful jobs and it gets such great reviews.  This makes me think, could this really be true???? Or are all these just Andrews School employees?   I am so worried to spend the money on it, I am not even sure I can come up ...

Information Wanted On Andrews School
Nov 15, 2011

I am looking into moving into Coding as a profession. I will be talking to Interface Computer School this afternoon as they have a billing/coding class (just asking questions right now), but I am hearing so much of Andrews. I know this is an online course. I feel a little nervous about not having a teacher in front of me. Can anyone tell me about Andrews, what to expect, how hard is it really (sounds pretty strict on grades, etc on the web page) how well communication is and if yo ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Question For Andrews School Grads
Nov 20, 2013

Okay -- I think I've made my decision to not go back to my local community college after I finish ICD-9 fall semester.  I just don't feel it is giving me what I need, and it is not preparing me to pass anything.  Most of the students in my class are taking coding as just another class they have to pass so they can move on to something else.  I am paying a lot of money because I'm out of state, and I don't feel like I'm getting value.  I've n ...

Career Step Or Andrews Is A Good School?
Jan 27, 2010

Anyone know if Career Step or Andrews is a good school? I'm trying to decide on which one to go to. ...

Advice On Andrews School Tuition Options.
Sep 04, 2012

Hi. I am very interested in attending Andrews school for coding. The only problem is I may not be able to pay in full at the time of enrollment. Has anyone done the payment option and if so how did it work for you? Thanks. ...

Can I Transfer Credits From Andrews School To A Local College?
May 09, 2010

For 3800.00 I would think they should be accredited most definitely.  ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

M Tec Or Andrews?
Jun 03, 2010

I am an LPN looking into the field of MT.  I am tired of standing on my feet for 2-3 hour med passes and lifting and turning patients.  I am ready to work hard from home.  I understand that both M Tec and Andrews are great schools.  Is one better then the other?  How do experienced MT's feel about the two? Thanks!!  ...

Andrews
Oct 06, 2012

I'm considering Andrews coding, but would love some feedback for those who enrolled that had no medical or MT background. I have very little medical background and it seems the MT's are favored as they are more familiar with terminology.  For those enrolled how do you like the course?  Do you find the course interesting?  I already know its challenging! Thanks for any info you can provide! ...

Andrews Or CCO??
Feb 05, 2015

I'm trying to do as much research as possible into changing careers from MT to coding, and I've narrowed down my two choices of schools to Andrews and CCO (CodingCertificate.Org).  According to CCO's website, they now offer courses that will prepare you to take the CCS exam.  I've heard positive things about CCO, but I've also heard positive things about Andrews, and how thorough it is, but also that it's very difficult.  I would love to hear either f ...

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

Linda Andrews?
May 23, 2010

When this board first started up Linda was on here quite often but haven't seen her in a while.  Oh well, just noticing.  Wow, this board has taken off! ...