A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

M Tec or Andrews? - Cookie

Posted: Jun 03, 2010

I am an LPN looking into the field of MT.  I am tired of standing on my feet for 2-3 hour med passes and lifting and turning patients.  I am ready to work hard from home.  I understand that both M Tec and Andrews are great schools.  Is one better then the other?  How do experienced MT's feel about the two?

Thanks!!  Tongue out

They are both great - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
Not an experience MT but did exhaustive research before I signed up for a school. I would look at the particulars of each program and decide which fits you better.

For example Andrews you have a new teacher for each segment, with MTEC you have the same one throughout.

MTEC has some tech classes. I don't believe Andrews does.

Good luck!

Thank you! - Cookie

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree...they both seem like great schools. Thanks for your input!

schools - check the board

[ In Reply To ..]
Check the boards to see what is happening with this profession before you invest a lot of money and time. Lots of MTs losing jobs because of offshoring and electronic medical records, and the pay stinks

And some are doing really well, but nobody knows why some do and some don't - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I am worried about that - Cookie

[ In Reply To ..]
I am wondering if this is something i want to get into. I hear different things. Some people say it's a dying field but it seems to me that the need for MT's is still strong. ?

Where do you get that information? - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious where you are getting your information that the need for MTs is still strong. As an employed MT keeping my eye on the field and what many of my fellow MTs are going through, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. It seems that the need for MTs is shrinking very quickly.
What you are reading that many MTs are going through isn't what all MTs are experiencing - I think it is a culling out in some areas
[ In Reply To ..]
There are some areas that are really doing well, with some MTSOs having more new accounts and more work than ever, and others are going downhill fast. I know one company that has trouble and I know some of the MTs who work there. They are always complaining and even though they say they do great work, I've seen some of it. They don't. Those companies that hire anyone who says they are an experienced MT are having to deal with so many 'people' problems that it's no wonder they aren't doing well. I know MTs that are so rigid and unbending that they cost more money than they are worth. The MTSOs that are doing really well are those that hire the MTs who are staying up with changes and are willing to make changes when necessary and stop giving work to the ones that can't or won't do the work the way the accounts want it done without howling every minute that QA is after them.
I hope you're right. - MT3
[ In Reply To ..]
But I do think the job market for MTs has tightened considerably due to offshoring, the EMR, and the recession. The company I work for is a really great small to mid-sized company that has been in business for decades, and they recently laid off a number of MTs for the first time in their history, mainly due to the EMR. I've heard of quite a few other companies laying off, as well. I agree that the problem MTs will be hit the hardest in this kind of situation, but it also affects the ability of newbies to get jobs.
True, but why are some of the companies adding still more accounts and hiring more people? - Confused
[ In Reply To ..]
I know of a couple of companies that are adding more accounts and hiring more MTs just at the same time that others are losing accounts and laying off MTs. I don't understand what's happening. Things are obviously changing and there are winners and losers, both in companies and in MTs.

It's obvious that to be a winning MTSO, you have to provide good work at an acceptable Turnaround Time.

It's also obvious that to be one of the winning MTs, you have to be willing to work with the new tools, VR editing, expanders, etc.

Is that all, or are there more reasons why some of the companies are falling apart and others are really doing well? Does it have anything to do with the caliber of MTs they have working for them and/or their attitudes and/or work ethics, or is it just luck?
If I owned an MTSO - Here is what I would do
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not an MTSO, but for a moment I'm going to look at it as if I were.

If I owned an MTSO, I would stay up with the changes in our industry as much as my budget would allow.

I would keep the MTs informed about changes that I would be making and how it would affect them, giving them a chance to look elsewhere for work if they didn't want to make the change. Then I would replace those who left with people who were excited about the future and motivated to learn the new system, whether they were (hopefully) expert, wise, productive MTs with years of experience or newly out of school with updated skills and a fresh outlook. Then if anyone developed a bad attitude that made problems for me, I would urge them to find a job they could enjoy, elsewhere, or find a way to adapt to the new system. After maybe 3 months, if they were still complaining, I would give their accounts to the people who were eager and able to do them, and let the unhappy ill-adjusted people go to another service where things are still done the old ways, or find another career altogether, but that wouldn't be my problem. My own responsibility as that (imaginary) MTSO would be to the success of my company and those who help it to succeed. The others need to move on elsewhere. That's a good business decision and the right thing to do for those who are with me and not against me. That's my very simple understanding of how it works.

I have never been an MTSO and never in the world would ever want to be responsible for going out and drumming up accounts and maintaining them, but if I were, that's the way I would see it.

Similar Messages:

Andrews
Oct 06, 2012

I'm considering Andrews coding, but would love some feedback for those who enrolled that had no medical or MT background. I have very little medical background and it seems the MT's are favored as they are more familiar with terminology.  For those enrolled how do you like the course?  Do you find the course interesting?  I already know its challenging! Thanks for any info you can provide! ...

Andrews Or CCO??
Feb 05, 2015

I'm trying to do as much research as possible into changing careers from MT to coding, and I've narrowed down my two choices of schools to Andrews and CCO (CodingCertificate.Org).  According to CCO's website, they now offer courses that will prepare you to take the CCS exam.  I've heard positive things about CCO, but I've also heard positive things about Andrews, and how thorough it is, but also that it's very difficult.  I would love to hear either f ...

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

Linda Andrews?
May 23, 2010

When this board first started up Linda was on here quite often but haven't seen her in a while.  Oh well, just noticing.  Wow, this board has taken off! ...

To Linda Andrews
May 25, 2010

Per the request you sent via email, I have tried to call the number you provided four times but only get your voicemail.  I did call during office hours.  If you wish to communicate, email me again and let me know when I can reach you.  I do not give out my number, which is unpublished for personal reasons, nor do I provide my email address to individuals I do not know personally.   ...

Why Is CS So Much Cheaper Than Andrews?
Aug 27, 2010

Just wondering what the difference in price is?  CS has a much more impressive website and they have been very good at answering my questions.  Why would they be so much cheaper? ...

CCS Without RHIT (Considering Andrews)
Feb 26, 2011

Coders: In a situation where a new graduate of a program has the CCS but not the RHIT, do you believe this would be an obstacle to finding employment? I notice some jobs say CCS or RHIT and some want both. I am weighing the pros and cons between attending a program that I know will prepare me to pass the CCS (Andrews) versus a program to earn a degree that will make me eligible to take the RHIT and, hopefully, pass the CCS. For background, I am a medical transcriptionist and also will graduate ...

For Those Of You Who Have Graduated From Andrews
Jan 19, 2012

Are any of you actually working as coders? ...

Andrews Students...
Feb 06, 2012

For those of you who are past or present Andrews students... how did you/are you paying for your course? I know you can either put a down payment or pay in full.  Just curious, thanks. ...

Deciding On Andrews BUT
Feb 26, 2012

I know Andrews does not give out any discounts on their $3,800 charge, but are there ways to get help lowering the cost through any organizations you are aware of?  Thanks. ...

I Did It! I Enrolled In Andrews
Mar 05, 2012

for medical coding. I'm excited and a little nervous. Looking forward to getting started. ...

Any Graduates Of Andrews Or M-Tec?
Sep 04, 2012

Would like to know if any graduates of Andrews or M-Tec became employed shortly after completing course and how much I could be expected to earn on a part-time basis (20 hrs/wk)? ...

Andrews School -- Job
Sep 19, 2012

I am an MT who was laid off from my job and I am seriously considering coding school.  So far, I am leaning towards Andrews, they sound the best.  My question is, will I be able to find a job that pays well afterwards?  I have looked at a few job postings online in my area and it looks like entry level coders are only 10 bucks an hour.  This concerns me as I don't want to put out a lot of money for coding school if I am not going to be making much money.  Also, ...

Andrews School...which Course To Take?
Nov 13, 2012

This may not be the right board, but I thought I would put it here. I have been interested in taking the coding course through Andrews for over a year now. I was just wondering if that is the way to go or if I should take a different course that they are now offering. They now offer billing and medical management. I know that medical transcription is out because I am already a transcriptionist and that is not going well. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you. ...

Another Andrews Question
Jul 01, 2013

I have been researching coding schools.  I have a local community college which would prepare me for the CPC.  I would have to pay out of state tuition, however, which would be substantial.  For less money I could take courses with the Andrews School, which seems like it would prepare me for the CPC and the CCS.  HOWEVER, when I was reading the requirements for the CCS, it sounds like there are certain education requirements -- are you eligible to take the CCS after you gradu ...

Voc Rehab Or WIA And Andrews?
Jul 05, 2013

Has anyone here gotten Vocational Rehabilitation or WIA to pay for an Andrews course? If so, do they pay the whole thing? Thanks! ...

Does Nuance Not Know About Andrews?
Jul 10, 2013

I just saw their ad on the other job site which says this: Recent graduates Openings for graduates within the last year from the following schools: Career Step (Honors/High Honors) MTEC, INC.Winter Park TechSeminole State College Everett College Not that I would encourage recent graduates or anyone else for that matter to work there. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I guess I'm just surprised that Andrews isn't included in their stupid list. Of course, Nuance doesn� ...

Best School After Andrews. Sm
Nov 08, 2013

I need financial aid.  Andrews doesn't accept Pell grants. etc.  Currently I'm on unemployment.  Been unemployed for about 2 months now.  Have been an MT for 37 years.  I applied for WIA funds (workforce investiment act) and included info about Andrews and medical coding in general, i.e., what it is, etc.  They won't pay for Andrews or coding for that matter because they say:(1)  Its a work at home job.  (2) Its an online program and they ca ...

Andrews School....
Feb 12, 2014

I think I've decided on Andrews School for coding.  My question is any recent graduates get jobs? How quickly?  All openings I've browsed look like they want 3-5 years experience...... ...

Has Anyone Here Completed The Andrews Course And
Apr 02, 2014

not been able to find a coding position?  It seems like the best option, but everyone around here locally wants 5 years experience, so I guess the only other way to get started is as a doctor's office receptionist/biller/coder, which is what they do around here & it doesn't pay well at all because most offices will just train you on the job. My 19-year-old daughter got on doing it but started at $8.50/hr, now up to $9.  Five years as an office girl at a doctor's offi ...

Andrews School Sm
Apr 29, 2014

Those who went through the Andrews School how long did it take to find a job? Thanks. ...

Job At Home After Andrews?
Apr 30, 2014

Hello.  I was told by the student coordinator and Linda Andrews herself that people who have finished their course and gotten their credentials have gotten jobs from home.  I think it was 1 in 4.  Just wondering if any of you have been those 1 in 4?  They also told me it may be more like 50% in a year or so.  Thanks! ...

How To Pay For Andrews School?
Feb 10, 2015

If I could choose a school right now for coding, Andrews would be first choice.  I was hoping that someone could share some suggestions for paying for the course.  Right now AAPC is having a "sale" on their course which is now 50% off.  From my research, though, I think that would not be my first choice, but is muc more affordable than Andrews.  Has anyone used any of the Andrews payment plans?  How did that work out for you?  The cost seems prohibitive to me, but I ...

Andrews Graduates, Did You Get A Job?
Mar 02, 2015

I am seriously considering going into the coding program with Andrews soon. My main concern just lies in finding employment after I finish and become certified. Can any Andrews graduates share their experiences? Were you able to find employment quickly? Was anyone able to start working from home immediately? There are 2 hospitals in my town, but it is not a huge city, and I am afraid employment opportunities may be limited here locally. Anything you can tell me that might be useful would be much ...

Andrews Coding
Mar 21, 2015

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Andrews coding program and if so did you pass the exams? Did you land a job immediately after completing the course? How difficult are the exams and how long did it take to complete the course? I was an MT for years but now I am looking for other options as the MT field has changed way too much and is no longer financially doable for me. ...

Any New Andrews Graduates??
Mar 21, 2015

Just curious if there are any new Andrews graduates (in the last 30 days) that are having success finding a job? I am looking to start this program soon and do not want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, so to speak...been an MT for MANY, MANY years.... Are there jobs out there?  How hard are they to find/get? What is general starting pay? Feeling anxious/nervous/excited.... ...

Best Coding Course Besides Andrews?
Apr 09, 2015

Hello all.  I am not a troll and am truly wondering if there is a coding course that is more economic than Andrews but still TEACHES you to code?  I am an MT but have no experience with coding.  Please help!  Thanks so much.   ...

Andrews Question
Apr 23, 2015

I don't understand why so many people are attending Andrews as it isn't on the AHIMA approved coding certificate program directory. From what I have been reading, Andrews is highly regarded as an excellent school. Am I missing something? ...

How Difficult Is Andrews?
May 03, 2015

I am an MT, I am 51, I haven't been in school for over 30 years.  I know there was a discussion below about being too old to start school.  But I wonder from the MTs who did this in their 50s, did you have trouble with the work?  I am not stupid, I don't feel that I am too old, but I am afraid that I won't be able to do it.  Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.  Please no comments about if I don't think I can do it, I won't be abl ...

Any MTs Here Enrolling At Andrews?
May 07, 2015

Lots of MTs here. Are any of you making the switch to coding and getting your training through Andrews?  Why did you choose Andrews School? ...