A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Working more than 65 hours? - Girl4givn

Posted: Mar 28, 2012

Just out of curiosity, do any of you out there work a full time and part time job for more than 60 hours per week?  And I mean really sitting at your desk for that long.  Are you half dead?   Someone, please, talk me out of it.....

Definitely yes. - Exhausted

[ In Reply To ..]
I am making less than half at my regular company and also working another job. I work 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. everyday, 75 hours/week. I am more than tired, my house is a mess and on the weekends I am busy running errands.

I'm exhausted just reading your reply... - Girl4givn

[ In Reply To ..]
I think I'm about to have to do the same thing and I am just filled with dread. I can barely make it through a 10 hour day already. I don't know how some of you do it. But unfortunately, it has become necessary. Stupid VR.

Are you currently working on VR - right now?

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just wondering if you work full-time and considering picking up part-time and if you have already had experience working on VR?

I thought about doing a part-time and a full-time job, but wasn't sure I could handle it.
VR - Girl4givn
[ In Reply To ..]
Have done VR in the past... not my favorite but it's okay. Not doing it right now but will be starting in a couple of weeks. It is a strictly VR account. My eyes and shoulders are going to hate me. I'm not sure I can handle both either. I just informed my husband and kids last night that they were going to have to make friends with the washer and dryer, and learn to turn on an oven burner, and how to open the mayo to make a sandwich. Please Lord, be with me!
I tried working two jobs - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
When our dept was told we were being outsourced, I signed the contract with the outsourcing company, but decided to test the waters myself while I still had time.

We had a few months before our dept would go to the other company. So I began seeking out other companies in the meantime while still working full time at the hospital, just to make sure there was nothing better out there.

I found a job that allowed me to start part-time with the intent to go full-time after my dept outsource was complete. I ended up working for them while still working at the hospital and it all but killed me.

My hospital job allowed me to cut back my hours so I wouldn't be so overwhelmed with this other job while waiting for outsource to be complete, but it still didn't help. I was typing my life away literally.

I finally decided to go with the company my dept was being outsourced to. By the time the outsource was complete, I figured if I am going to put in those many hours, it may as well be for one job. The overtime was there and still is so I have been getting by just fine.

Long story short, I dont think I will ever work two transcription jobs at once again. It was to say the least very unhealthy both mentally and physically. But thats just my experience.

I was working weekends too and opted for longer hours weekdays. - exhausted

[ In Reply To ..]
I need some time off and I don't even turn my computer on over the weekend.

That was my life in a nutshell - except

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't get off at 9pm. The second job I worked at my leisure and often times was not able to get the required line count in by a decent hour so many times worked till 10 or 11pm.

Agree with Exhausted's post.

Working 65 hours plus - PLL

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I have a full-time job and also a part-time job where I have to do 3500 lines a week. As others have said, it's a necessity now. Fortunately, at both jobs, I'm an IC and can work whatever schedule I want, but I do need to get my hours in at the full-time job and my line count in at the part-time job. I'll be buying a Mega Million ticket to try to end this sad situation!

Amen to the MEGA million- me too, buying more - tickets today!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Older veteran - Beentheredonethat

[ In Reply To ..]
Used to. It's a challenge to learn to work smarter and not harder. It's tough...

I can barely make it through 8 hours let alone OT. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I've done this so long, I'm just not interested anymore. My arms hurt after working my shift. My brain is fuzzy from all the VR crap. OT isn't worth it for me. I don't need the extra income. Now maybe if VR paid more than 4 cpl I'd be more inclined to work. When I had only straight typing, I worked a ton of OT. Loved the paychecks! But now, just not worth my "free" time.

I work 2 jobs one full time and other part time as an IC - All work no play

[ In Reply To ..]
My full-time job is straight typing, which will be changing very soon to VR (dread it) and the part time is VR and straight typing (more VR) and did this a couple reasons the obvious need the money and the other to get some experience doing VR. VR stinks...lets for get about the pay for a minute, I think I get more frustrated just fixing the stupid crap and the same stupid crap over and over again. I definitely think with building ones expanders, etc. that you could definitely type the job the same or faster than editing it. My wrists are starting to hurt daily. Any suggestions for that would be helpful.:.) It seems that both jobs get busy always at the same time and demanding my attention. I cannot win if my full time job had OT available all the time I would not need the part time job. It just gets crazy sometimes, but you do what you have to do and when I get fried I have to say enough is enough and take some me time. Oh and my house is trashed too! It is comforting to know I am not the only one. I wast starting to feel like a failure. I usually work about 75 hours plus a week. Does anyone else feel their wrists and hands hurt more from editing than from typing or is it just my imagination?

Yes. More so doing VR. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I should say I used to work more than I do now. A few years ago, my husband became ill and couldn't work. I worked 12 days straight, 2 days off (weekends and did cleaning, laundry, shopping, errands) and 12 straight again. I did this for 1 year. Once he got his disability check, I dropped the extra hours. I work my 40 hours. If I want to do a few hours OT, I will. Otherwise, my time is my time. I've always worked extra hours over the years, anytime they asked. Now I'm so burned out, like I said, I can barely make it through an 8-hour day. Again, if I was making better money and no VR crap, I'd probably work harder.
VR crap - sickofit
[ In Reply To ..]
Agree with your last statement. When they cut the pay in half it DID NOT make me want to work harder, which is what I think they figured would happen. No, it actually killed my desire to help them meet their goal of "keep the customer happy above all else". No respect for me, no respect for them!
Will be dead dead before I can retire... - Tired of typin
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been working 2 jobs, 14 hours a day for almost 2 years now. At 60 it is truly killing me. I have already gone bankrupt and still struggle to get by. VR just makes things worse. My one account's VR is so bad, I constantly correct at least 75% of the report and they won't do a thing about it. I am always looking for ONE job where I can make enough to survive on. The stress is ungodly. My PT job has better accounts and the FT job pays a little better, but of course the account is a nightmare. We have truly been thrown under the bus by this industry.
Same here.... - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm 54 with no retirement. I'll have to rely on SS. I looked into a 401 15 years ago. They told me at my age then, I'd have to put in 8% of my pay (which at the time, I couldn't afford to), and the company I worked for at that time did not match. I would like to retire at 62 but wouldn't be able to live on that SS amount so 68 it is. My husband has SS disability. We lost everything also in bankruptcy. The good part of that is a lot of my stress from trying to pay all our credit cards, which we accumulated to live on, is gone.

I wrap my wrist with ace wraps - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have wrist splints that I paid a pretty penny for at Walgreens. They are the kind that allow my fingers plenty of movement so it wasn't very awkward at all to adjust to typing in them.

I also have an ergo keyboard. Right now I need to throw my splints in the wash, so have just been wrapping wrists with ace wraps until I get around to washing them, but I never type without at least wrapping my wrist.

So I haven't noticed much of a difference with editing versus typing as far as pain goes. Try that.

I refuse to work more than a 40 hour week - sm - tiredofworking

[ In Reply To ..]
I am barely making minimum wage currently; boss doesn't pay overtime; why should I work an extra 2 hours a day for less than 20 bucks? In that 2 hours I can design up to 3 necklaces that I can sell for $30 each. Used to love transcription; I absolutely loathe it now!

I'm going to have to... - time4achange

[ In Reply To ..]
...but my 2nd job won't be sitting here in front of the computer. This is grueling work. My brain and my arse need some air and sunshine. I'll be looking for something to break up the monotony.

Similar Messages:

ICs Working Set Hours
Apr 24, 2012

How many of you are ICs who are required to work set hours? How many have to use an electronic time cards online to record every break? Has anyone objected to this since we are not employees, receive no employee benefits, and are not paid by the hour but by the line? Has anyone talked to their MTSO about the illegality of this? First our wages have been cut (in half in some cases) both by rate reduction and by the AAMT switching from gross to character line count which reduced our income ...

Working 20 Hours...
Feb 06, 2015

How much can someone expect to make working 20 hours a week at Nuance? ...

Question About Working Hours
Mar 23, 2010

I am looking for work and was just wondering about how receiving your work and returning it usually works.  When I took the MT course, I was under the impression that I would receive a batch of work and then have 12-24 hours to return it, making my work schedule flexible so I could work around my children's school and summer schedules.  I assumed that when they're at school I could do my work then, and in the summer when they're home during the day, I could do my work in ...

Transcend - Working Over 40 Hours
Aug 16, 2011

Do any of you have to work over 40 hours to meet your requirements?  If so, do you have to have permission, wait until extra help is needed?  or just judge for yourself when there is red/yellow on the jobs to go in and pick up some lines?  TIA. ...

Working Scheduled Hours
Aug 14, 2013

MModal HAS to be in the Top 10 of the worst companies to work for.  Got the email saying we MUST work our scheduled hours, only 2 MTs allowed on per account per day, 2 weeks notice if asking for days off, a month's notice if more than 5 days, no changing hours around unless approved in advance.  And yet, HERE I SIT . .  . just like I did on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday . .  . sat down to work my scheduled hours and  . . . I have NO WORK!  Talk about one-sided! &n ...

Do Those Of You Working FT Work 8 Hours Straight Or Do You
Jan 11, 2015

split your hours up into 2 or 3 segments during the day/night. Want to go FT but not sure I could take working 8 hours straight and wondered what others working FT do. Thank you! ...

Why Are Companies Stuck On Everyone Working 40 Hours A Week?
Mar 02, 2012

I've got great experience and when I'm scheduled to work, I'm there working.  What the hell difference does it make if I only want to be scheduled for 6 hours on four of my weekdays?  Would they rather I said I would work 8 hours and actually only work 6 like a lot of people? I'm willing to work 10 hours on Sunday, so we're talking 34 hours a week and more if I have the time, and I'm not asking for benefits.  I'm so sick of this job search.  ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

Less Than 24 Hours PT??
Nov 20, 2009

I understand with 24 hours you get PTO, but can you be scheduled for less than 24. That is a lot for a PT position. Most companies only require 20 per week. ...

Q8h Or Every Eight Hours?
Mar 12, 2010

Which is correct? I thought I had remembered something from the BOS (which I can't find in my office right now) that said if the dictator said q 8 hours then it should be spelled out as every eight hours. Is that correct or am I losing my mind? ...

Best Hours
Aug 28, 2010

I know there are so many on here who are fed up with Medquist.  But, can anyone tell me if there is any shift or days that work is usually available?  Overnight shift?  Evenings?  I have 2 friends who work for MQ and they are not out of jobs when they work.  (well, that's what they tell me).  They said it actually just depends on the account.   Is anybody here OK with MQ, maybe not perfectly happy, but not destitute either?  TIA ...

Every 4 Hours
Jun 29, 2011

so can someone clear me up about how to type q4h   ?? (as in every 4 hours).    thanks! ...

Only 8 Hours...
Dec 08, 2011

Ok, I'm not as fast as I used to be and the doctors keep giving names of physicians that are not on their list and are spelled different ways so I take the time to look them up because blanks are not a thing I like to leave on a report.  Today we get an email that we can no longer work off the clock which for me is a problem.  Do you take the time to look things up like that or what do you do to get past the OCD of trying not to leave a blank?  I feel like MQ is chasing ...

Q.6-8 Hours?
Apr 25, 2012

Doc says q. 6 to 8 hours with food.  Is that transcribed "q.6-8 hours"? Thanks for any help! ...

TTS - 8 Hours
Jul 15, 2012

I thought if we logged 7 hrs/day was considered okay, but now I'm getting notices that it is supposed to be 8 hrs/day - 8 hrs a day of actual transcription is pretty hard to concentrate - the mind and body has to take breaks! ...

So Far (2 Hours In) Don't Like DQS 7 -
Jul 24, 2012

Can we change the color of the audio highlight.  Mine is purple and it is driving me nuts.  It used to be yellow in the old DQS.  Thanks ...

Hours For FT Or PT? Sm
Sep 05, 2012

How many hours are considered FT?  How about for PT work?  Thanks. ...

PT Less Than 20 Hours. Possible??
Jul 16, 2013

As hard as it is for Nuance to get/retain employees has anyone every been able to negotiate for less than 20 hours PT with them? ...

PT Is How Many Hours?
Jan 20, 2014

I am planning on going PT, the least amount of PT as possible as I have been diagnosed with CHF and atrial fib and the stress of this job will wind up killing me.  I am already on partial retirement, so just need a few extra hours/week.  What is the least amount of PT hours a person can work?  Thank you. ...

13 Hours To Go
Feb 20, 2014

I have 13 hours left to work at this company and then I am done.  I am typing what I consider good grammar for the ESLs and not worrying about an audit.  My blood pressure has come down.  I am cruising, not swearing and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train.  This company has been wonderful to me for most of my time as an MT.  I am saddened by the changes that have happened in the last few years.  I am going to work in Central Supp ...

OOW Yet Again. Twice In Less Than 2 Hours. What Is Up?
Apr 16, 2014

Have less than 3 hours of PTO. This is getting really old. ...

Regarding The PTO And 104 Hours Without Pay...
Jun 18, 2014

I noticed when I took a day off without pay, at the end of the pay period, the PTO earned shown in UltriPro was only 4.14 hours instead of 4.62. Does this mean if we take any of that 104 hours of unpaid time off they were so generous to give us, our actual paid time off will be cut?   Has anyone else noticed this?  How sleezy. ...

PT 16 Hours
Aug 17, 2014

Does anybody work less than 20 hours?  I now work 24 hours, but due to a medical condition, I am finding it hard to work 24 hours, 16 would be much better.  Does anyone know if they make exceptions to the rule of at least 24 hours? ...

How Are You Getting Your Hours In?
Feb 17, 2015

How are you all getting your hours in with the current low volumes? I do not work without being paid so I will NOT sit around 16 hours a day waiting for a report or 2 to come trickling in. Is everyone having this issue. I used to have a couple of exclusives who, since the TSM was let go, are no longer exclusives with no explanation as to why the change. So now I am pretty much at the mercy of what comes in and when, and as I said, I don't give any company my time without compensation fo ...

PT Hours
Mar 06, 2015

Does anyone work 12 or 16 hours/week?  I see in the policies there are such hours that can be worked.  I am wondering how to go about switching.  Should I just tell my manager next pay period I have to switch to 12 or 16 hours?  It is due to medical conditions and I just got disability but I find I need a little bit more money/month to feel safe.  Im wondering if they will give me grief.  I have been here 17 years and always pass my audits, the last 2 audits were 99 ...

PT Hours Question
Oct 14, 2009

Two questions:  If you sign on to Medquist part time, is there a certain number of hours/schedule that you have to adhere to?  Also, can you go over that number of hours (work extra) or do you need permission to do so? ...