A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To experienced MTs, the "work at home" aspect - is what destroys our income. Found something SM

Posted: Jan 10, 2010

To those who are satisfied living in poverty or chained to their home computers, then disregard this message.  This msg is directed at experienced MTs who don't think they can make a decent living at this anymore.  You can - the jobs are out there.

I have a second interview scheduled for position as a senior MT for the prison healthcare system in my state.  I know I will ultimately get the job with all my experience, but even if I didn't, just wanted to let you all know that decent pay is out there for good, experienced MTs - just have to be willing to look for them and <b><i>leave your house.</i></b>  This position pays $3000+ a month PLUS crazy-awesome health, dental, disability benefits, retirement plan, PTO, 12 paid holidays, more.  The jobs are still out there, at least for the time being. 

I do hope I get the job!  Once my day is done, it's done, paychecks will be plentiful once again, may be able to take a well-deserved vacation, can use my computer for leisure only and will not be chained to it.  It sounds lovely.  I don't care if I have to drive to get to work, wear dress clothes, whateve - tired of wasting my skills, expertise and experience on low-paying home-based jobs for MTSOs. 

Hope you get the job - LinK

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations! It sounds like a great job. I just got a job out of the house for the first time in almost seven years. I lost my job to EMR and found out through a friend that a lot of practices in this area are laying off people (not just MT's left and right). I'm back working for the attorney I worked for for almost 15 years. He called me out of the blue and said he needed a scretary and I jumped at the job. Now I'll have steady pay, steady job and some perks that come with having worked with him before. Again, good luck. Let us know if you get the job.

I start my state job tomorrow - MT24

[ In Reply To ..]
In the medical records dept of a state prison. The pay's not quite as good as yours, but decent for my area, and better than what I'm making at home. It beats being chained to the home computer. I've noticed that over the last few years, I dread being at home but can't afford to go out like I used to. I never minded getting dressed to go to work. I just couldn't afford daycare. Now my kids are all in school and between my husband and me, we'll only need childcare for 1/2 hour after school and during the summers. My parents recently retired and are able to help out with those hours.

I agree that the money is out there. You just have to find it. Too many MTSOs know that MTs want to stay home to work and are willing to trade the pay rate for that perk.

Good luck. I hope you get the job. What state are you in?

State job - Outsourced

[ In Reply To ..]
I have applied for that job as well. Any info would be great. It is a 2 hour move for me, but I have no choice as there is nothing in my area now that I have been outsourced. I hope to be hearing from them soon.

good luck--I sure can't find jobs like that... - cc

[ In Reply To ..]
...anymore. I agree, the best or at least most secure jobs out there are working for the government somehow, but, especially if you live kinda out in the boonies like I do, jobs like that are extremely few and far between. Hardly anybody in health care corporations (as most doctors are) hire transcriptionists to work on site, either. Anyway, best of luck! Sounds great!

I live so far out I can't even get DSL - MT24

[ In Reply To ..]
But fortunately we have 2 prisons about 1/2 hour from where I live. Otherwise, like you, there's nothing in my area.

Good MT jobs - MTing

[ In Reply To ..]
Glad to see this post and I agree 100%. In my area I am seeing a little bit of a shake up with some of the bigger specialty practices and hospitals doing less outsourcing and filling in-house positions. In my case I work at home but am an employee. I am expected to stick to my schedule, keep my quality score up, and be productive. In return, great benefits and a fair wage. Best of luck. I hope you get the job!

Also, it's a female dominated field. - ncmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Hence the low pay.

dreams carry us through the day...nm - dream

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I prefer working from my home than going every day to prison...nm - prison?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Yes. Prison. And I'll take 36K/yr with bennies rather than - slave wages by an MTSO, thank you very much. :) nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not that I don't think there are a lot of negatives to - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
working for some MTSOs, and I'm glad you will might getting a job you like, but I work for an MTSO and make at least 10K more per year than 36K. Your bennies are probably a little better. But I don't have to pay the expenses for commuting/gas/lunch/clothes etc. There are pros and cons to each. But I don't consider what I make slave wages by far.

Oops quick correction...."will might" = "might be"....sheesh.....hahaha - Kiki
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I worked at a prison before - never again

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, the money is good, the bennies are great BUT the stress is outrageous, the rules are horrific, and often the employees get treated more like criminals than the inmates, and have less rights. Employees are subject to strip search, search of their purse, desk, vehicle at ALL times, as well as random drug testing. They are also subject to lockdown without notice (can't go home or even leave the compound) in case of riots. There is plenty of red tape regarding contact with anyone with criminal records - so if any of your friends or family has a bad past, prepare to report it to the Warden every time they even speak to you. You have to watch yourself every second around the inmates (trustees will be cleaning in your area) and you must tread the fine line between being "polite" and "fraternizing". Then you have your coworkers - state employess are complacent, spoiled, lazy, and play politics and stir trouble 24/7 instead of do any actual work. Their only goal in life is to do the least amount of work for the maximum amount of money until they can retire. Your work ethic will have to do an complete reversal - you'll have to retrain yourself to work as slowly as possible and do the least amount of work possible to justify the continuance your position, and keep the good will of your co-workers (who get angry if you "make them look bad" by actually working).

Its like selling your soul to the devil.

You hit the nail on the head...sm - Locked down

[ In Reply To ..]
My husband works for a prison and he is always trying to get me to quit MTing and join him in the "dungeon" so that we can make a better living as he makes decent money but the stress is intolerable. I am adamant about NEVER, EVER working in that h-ll hole. I would much rather be on the outside looking in and only making mere pennies compared to the stress that he deals with daily. Everything you mentioned is absolutely true. I look forward to the day he will actually find something new but the likelihood is NIL. There are 3 prisons in this town and nothing else that even comes close to the pay (except for a coal mine and it is almost impossible to get on there). I agree with EVERYTHING you said because it is all so true.

thanks for sharing, good luck to you, keep us posted! - early bird

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Making 3800 a month, but no benefits :( - Vicky

[ In Reply To ..]
But it is worth it to be able to work at home. Good luck on the job, though. That is wonderful. I am content at home. Spoiled, actually.

I do fine working at home - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at home, 6 hours a day, and make over 4K month with a great benefits package, including PTO. It has taken me over 30 years to get to this level, but it IS possible. I work for a mid-sized company with honest owners that does not offshore. They are out there. You just have to do your homework. Good luck to all.

You are a ray of hope! - thank you so much!

[ In Reply To ..]
bless you!

Please keep us informed as to how things go with - your new job! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There have been ads for the prison healthcare system in my state, too (CA), but as interested as I've been in applying, I haven't because of all the cut backs and layoffs in CA right now. They're just about to further cut state workers' pay, or do more massive layoffs this year. I figured that as a new hire, I'd be the first one to go.

But the pay is sure way better than I make now, and it's probably interesting work.

I'm with you on not minding driving to work again or wearing dress clothes, if I can once again afford my bills, and be able to take a vacation once in a while. (A once-a-month trip to Safeway is NOT a "vacation"!)

Similar Messages:

S/l A *manna* Needle Was Used To Puncture The Lower Aspect Of The Access
Nov 07, 2011

There Is Generalized Swelling Over The Dorsal And Lateral Aspect Of The Finger
Jan 09, 2012

extending from the distal phalanx just proximal to the eponychial fold region into the area of the *mid middle phalanx*.   Does this look right? ...

Ortho Word - Possible Jarment (?) Of The Screw On The Medial Aspect Of Her Right Foot
May 03, 2011

Dictator says: "Possible jarment (?) of the screw on the medial aspect of her right foot." I heard "jarment" clear as day! ...

Has Anyone Experienced...
Apr 12, 2010

I was wondering if anyone has expereinced having applied to an advertisement for a transcription job with any particular MTSO, receiving an "invitation to test" at around midnight, and then attempting to take the test.  What I found when attempting to take the "transcription test", was an hour and a half of written test, not a voice file transcription test, with very detailed questions.  I spent an hour and a half taking this test and checking every answer on the internet, whether I th ...

To VERY Experienced MTs
Feb 21, 2012

I have about 25 years in MT, owning a MTS and filling other roles in the field as well. Frequently on this board I read the frustrated posts from those with 20 to 30 years of experience who have submitted resumes/applications but do not hear back from the hiring company.  A couple of times I have suggested that OVERQUALIFICATION may explain the lack of call back.  Both times I was personally verbally attacked on this board, with the notion called "ridiculous" and "absurd." ...

Which Course For Experienced Nurse
Aug 11, 2010

I am looking into MT programs and wondering about one which advertises that it is geared to nurses: MT@Home Medical Transcription. It costs significantly less than the three programs which I see referenced quite a bit  -Andrews, M-Tec and Career Step, but it seems like these programs involve so much material that I already know. Years ago I did transcription for nurses, I've worked in hopitals/home and office environments as a nurse (also years ago) and I worked in pharmaceutical sales ...

Advice From The Experienced?
Jul 28, 2011

I am a newbie MT and wanted some advice from those of you more experienced than I. Today, every single dictation I have had is from a foreign doctor..the latest one said (not kidding) toe bec abu in da pa...which I finally made out to be tobacco abuse in the past. My line count is horrible! How do you compensate for reports like this that take a long time, while maintaining a decent line count? Thanks. ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

I Think That All/most Of The Good, Experienced MTs
Mar 01, 2015

are going to end up quitting as soon as they possibly can, leaving behind a ton of newbies that will be super EASY to catch errors on (sorry newbies but you know it's true---it was true of myself when I was new).  And the newbies won't complain about getting 7 cpl EVERY week.  How's THAT for patient safety for ya? ...

Experienced But Feeling Like A Newbie!
Sep 12, 2011

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 10 years, working in cardiology, acute care and now radiology. I do radiology part-time from home right now and most shifts I do not even average minimum wage because of a shortage of work. The company I work for is small and works two typists per shift when there is only enough work for one. It is so frustrating! I have sent out about 20 resumes in the last couple of weeks and haven't heard a word from anyone. It used to be so easy to get a job b ...

Are Experienced MTs Finding Work Now Or Is There
Jan 05, 2012

not much out there. ...

Experienced MT Needing Work
Jan 10, 2012

I've been reading about various companies out there and wondering which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. Thanks!    ...

Hourly Wage As Experienced MTs At $.08/65 CPL
Jun 18, 2012

I'm just trying to figure out what the hourly wage might be for an "experienced"  MT if they were to start making $.08 per 65 cpl if they had a pretty good account and could type 75 words per minute.....and just an estimate would be appreciated...Thank you for your input. ...

I Have An Idea And Need A Couple Of Experienced
Oct 17, 2012

I would like to open a dialogue with 2 or 3 individuals with a minimum of 15 years experience in the field of medical transcription.  There is an alternative to explore in terms of taking back our profession and our livelihoods, and I need a couple of people knowledgeable in our field to brainstorm an idea with me.  No naysayers, please.  I want to talk to people who have not already given up on MT and are willing to think outside the box with me to seriously consider the feasibil ...

Another Experienced MT Fired From MModal
Feb 27, 2014

Sixteen years through various company takeovers, valued myself as extremely proficient, kept to the background, did my part in the team effort w/extra hours worked through countless holidays (what's a holiday?), parent illnesses, death, children's college, spousal layoffs, etc.  Watched in horror as my career was shredded with more and more condescending nonsense from QA to "classes," redundant pep rally conference calls, all leading to an after-shift (oh yes, I worked yesterday) ...

A Question For Experienced Coders
Mar 14, 2014

What are you thoughts on coders being paid on production/by the chart? As a recent graduate who is continuously learning, I just don't see how this could be a good thing, but maybe I'm wrong. Please - no bashing. I am just curious on opinions of seasoned coders. Thank you for any input. ...

Just Experienced The Power Hour
Dec 19, 2014

so for 1 hour we are going to get work from another POD that is way behind.....well guess what, if I had stayed in my own POD which is also flooded with work, I would have accomplished over 400 lines, but in this "power hour"  I typed a total of 95 lines because I spent all my time reading over client profiles and looking up old jobs making sure I got everything right. The hour is up, and strange jobs are coming in so I signed out for a break. Yeah...this power hour works really well. ...

Question For Experienced Coder
Jun 10, 2015

Would an experienced coder be willing to help me with a question via private email?  I am very new in school and feeling stumped already on something that seems very basic.  It has me wondering if I can do this after all. ...

Company That Will Pay An Experienced (30 Years) MT More Than $.09/line?
Jul 17, 2010

Anyone know of a company that will pay an experienced (30 years) MT more than $.09/line? ...

Can We Get Some Experienced Opinions On OTI's Huge Account?
Feb 08, 2011

Would really appreciate input from anyone who works on this account. ...

Experienced, But No Acute Care Experience
Apr 03, 2011

Hi All, I have been a transcriptionist for 10 years, working both in-house and home (currently doing both), but the company I currently work for is going to EMR (and of course, I'm the one setting it up for them) and will be out of a job within the coming months. I have applied and taken tests for various companies and have also had phone interviews over the last year.  Unfortunately I am not offered a position due to "not having enough experience" in the acute care field.  Corr ...

Experienced In Rad But Looking To Branch To Acute Care
Jul 01, 2011

hey, i have 7+ years of radiology and 6 years of path and some sleep study experience transcribing but would like to branch out or get some training in acute care.  does anyone know of anywhere to get started?  i would be willing to take online classes to learn acute care or start a job that will begin teaching it, like i said i am not a newbie at transcription but just in this field.  i would love to broaden my field and not iust be restricted to three modalities. please hel ...

Experienced Users Of Emdat Incribe
Mar 04, 2012

The company I work for just switched to the Emdat/Inscribe platform 2 weeks ago and as such we are still adjusting :-)Things have worked fine so far, but when trying to download dictations after logging in, I keep getting the same message..."There was a problem downloading the file. Would you like to retry?" (Of course I have, but it never loads.) The dictation tries to load (I see it in the green bar at the bottom) but never makes it. Other MTs have had the same problem today but a System Rest ...

Company Looking For An Experienced Account Manager
Sep 12, 2012

Does anyone know of a company looking for an experienced account manager. TIA ...

Is Webmedx Hiring At All? Experienced Acute Care MT.
Sep 30, 2010

xxxxxxxxxxx ...

SR: She Denies Any Recent Nausea Experienced An Amputation.
May 16, 2012

nm ...

Thought I Had Seen It/heard It/experienced It All In The Past 30 Years
Sep 02, 2012

I work in-house, got the news a week ago that the hospital has hired an outside company to take over the transcription, which will save the hospital millions of dollars.  We have the option of going with the other company or simply going home; in other words, take it or leave it.  Needless to say, the outsourced company's benefits are not as good in comparison to the hospital's, much more expensive and also this will be strictly voice recognition.&nbs ...

Experienced MTs; Paid By The Line Or By The Audio Hour?
Jun 11, 2013

I've been an MT for over 5 years and have always been paid by the line. I would think that most MTs preferred wage is to be paid a set amount per hour.  If this were not an option, what has given you more of an income, paid by the line or by the AUDIO hour?  What I'm currently being offered per audio hour comes out to less than what I was paid per line at my previous job, but the reports are easier to understand so it may be worth it.  It is basically both ...

Avg IC Line Rates For Experienced MT/QA Straight Type And ASR? Nm
Jun 08, 2015

Switching from employee to IC for first time in my life and have seen low rates offered. What is the typically going rate? Shouldn't it be higher for straight typing and because you are an IC and not employee?   Thanks! ...

Experienced Coders Check Out This Job Offer From Grady In Atlanta
Feb 01, 2014

http://grady.ttcportals.com/jobs/1477025-senior-coder-sign-on-bonuswork-from-home   Wish I had the coding experience they require!  Grady is a huge public hospital system. ...