A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thought I had seen it/heard it/experienced it all in the past 30 years - but this takes the cake..

Posted: Sep 02, 2012

I work in-house, got the news a week ago that the hospital has hired an outside company to take over the transcription, which will save the hospital millions of dollars.  We have the option of going with the other company or simply going home; in other words, take it or leave it.  Needless to say, the outsourced company's benefits are not as good in comparison to the hospital's, much more expensive and also this will be strictly voice recognition.  They have come up with a pay scale where every transcriptionist's pay will be the same amount, regardless of how much you produce, i.e., the more you produce, the lower the pay rate, which will always come out to be the same X amount of dollars per hour.   Would you guys give it a try or find something else.  I have a couple interviews coming up, but they are VR positions also.  In a dilema.  Got about 3 more weeks before the in-house position ends.  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Seen it/heard it - see message - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
I am so sorry, this just happened to me as well except that we had no choice of working for the company that is taking over as they are outside of the US, my last day is 09/30. I wish I knew what to tell you to do, I've been applying to all the MT companies that know of, even the ones who are not actively hiring. Unfortunately, most of it is VR. I interviewed for on one site non-MT job and should have an answer on Tuesday, then I'll need to make a decision about MT. Do you have to commit to the new company right away? If not you could continue to look but unfortunately I don't know if you'll be able to do better. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, just know that you are not alone in cyberspace.

Typos - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry about the typos....

You could give it a shot while you look, but dont expect pay to stay - that way for long. 3-4 cpl before long.nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:(

Outsource - K&S

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel your pain. The same thing is happening to us, hospital is outsourcing to MModal. I came on this forum to inquire about them (MModal) as we were told we would be offered positions and "keep our same work". I,like many others, do not have a clue what goes on with a MTSO or even how to deal with one. I only know that there is no guarantee that anything will stay the same and your former employer cannot tell you it will. I have observed so much unhappiness when reading posts by current MTSO employees albeit MModal or whoever. I do not think that this would be anything I would dare attempt, just my feeling. I feel that I am at a great disadvantage in that I have never had to work for a MTSO and do not know the "racket" or whatever it can be described as. My current employer told the transcriptionists that it would be 60-90 days before the platform was in place, etc., but the weird thing is I don't know what the hold out is on their part other than they are playing the waiting game to see how many of us quit - but no one has yet. We have all gotten together and are holding out for our severance pay, then to collect unemployment as NOT ONE of the current MTs is going to take the offer from MModal. Fortunately some of them have had experience with MTSOs and they were able to share their experiences with us who had not. It's just so unsettling to know who to trust, but definitely I cannot see anything positive in going to work for MModal. NO WAY, NO HOW. I know my self worth as a MT, and will not let them attempt to degrade that. So, with all that being said, I feel your pain once again but look out for #1 as you are all you have when it comes to making this type of decision. And, best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do!

unemployment - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
You won't qualify for unemployment if you turn down a job offer that pays close to what you're making now.

Just FYI.
unemployment - K&S
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe she will be able to collect UE because the position they are offering is not a hospital position - it's a MTSO. She does not have to take that position and can file UE on the hospital. The only way she wouldn't be eligible is if she were offered another position in the hospital as an employee of the hospital and it was comparable to what she was making as a MT. Otherwise she does not have to accept that position either and still may file for UE.
Re: unemployment - disgruntled
[ In Reply To ..]
My hospital outsourced our transcription department, and we were told that we were not eligible for unemployment because we were offered a job at the MTSO. In the end, I went with the MTSO, but the majority of those who did not do that, did not get unemployement. The few that did get unemployment had to fight tooth and nail for about 90 days before they finally were given unemployment. It appeared to come down to what county you were applying for UE in. The hospital stated we were not laid off, but instead given a new position with another company, thus they fought not to pay UE. Sucks.

Take it, but keep your eyes and ears open... - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
If the pay realy will be the same as what you're making now, and you're happy with your current pay, I'd say take the job and see how it goes. You're going to know pretty quickly if it's not what they're promising.

GET THAT SALARY AND CLIENT PROMISE IN WRITING, as they might say this client pays less than this other client, and use that as an excuse to pay you less. If they don't deliver their promise for whatever reason, you can either file for under-employment to supplement your income until you find something better, or file for unemployment and leave the job altogether. Contact your local unemployment office ASAP to see what your rights are exactly.

sounds familiar sm - dejavuMTer

[ In Reply To ..]
Exact same scenario played out at our hospital 8 months ago. 90% of us went with the new company and only one of us opted for unemployment - a choice we ALL should have opted for - because the new company came swooping in with promises and pipe dreams, none of which played out. We were promised we would be the primary transcriptionists for our hospital and POOF! we barely saw our work - it went out to the 300 other transcriptionists in the company - Our new company was asked if they ever ran out of work and they laughed and said OF COURSE NOT! Boom! most of the girls still working for the company now basically work 12 hours a day because of no work. I quit after a month - my coworkers still working there are depressed and struggling to even come close to what we were making at the hospital. We all recently got together socially and all said that if they had to do it over again - it would have been straight to the unemployment line - sorry this is happening to you - but it seems the norm now.

Can you say which company so we can avoid that? My hospital is going with a company 10/1. - Scared

[ In Reply To ..]
I am terrified of change, but it sounds good so far.

What company is that? - OldMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I want to make sure I don't apply to that company. I never heard of that. Is that legal?

30 years experience - emtfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
Welcome to the sad, sad world of transcribing. More and more hospitals are being conned like yours in a cost-saving (so they think) measure. Perhaps the hospital has an opening in the basement janitorial department... you will make more $$ there than if you go with the take-over company. Look at Glassdoor.com and look up your take-over company there - then decide for yourself.

Similar Messages:

Company That Will Pay An Experienced (30 Years) MT More Than $.09/line?
Jul 17, 2010

Anyone know of a company that will pay an experienced (30 years) MT more than $.09/line? ...

Anybody Seen A Raise In Pay Over The Past 3 Years?
Jan 03, 2012

Has anyone gotten any raises in pay over the past 3 years?  I know in these mean, tough times gratitude for having a job is important, but my thankfulness doesn't stop me from knowing that I have not had any increase in my pay since I started more than 2 years ago with the company I work for.  I am curious if any transcriptionist who has been steadily working for the same place for the past 2-3-4 years has seen a pay raise.  I am  frustrated with rising prices ...

In The Past 20 Years I've Been In This Business, I Have Lost
Sep 02, 2012

a total of four jobs due to offshoring, worked for peanuts for a number of different nationals, and finally decided to get out of the business all together and at the beginning of this summer after my last lay off, I took a job at a local doctor's office basically as a receptionist/scheduler/transcriptionist.  I get acclimated to the job, like everyone I work with, and start feeling really comfortable and then last week, a woman shows up for an appt with one of the senior doctors/partn ...

I Am Not A Newbee, But I Have Done Pretty Much Only Ops For The Past 30 Years And I Need Help. Sm
Mar 22, 2014

I was doing a summary this morning and the dosage was q.4h p.r.n. Now, is that correct of is it q. 4h p.r.n. Is it 1 tablet p.o. b.i.d. ?? I'm so out of it with this stuff that it's making me paranoid and I can't find it in my book of style.  Thanks in advance and please excuse my old age blip.. ...

MTStars Has Changed In The Past Few Years...sm
May 09, 2014

I haven't been on this board in many years since I stopped working from home. I just logged on for the first time this week after a long absence, and it really has changed. It used to be that the regular posters used consistent nicknames for all their posts. That was nice because you got to know who was who, who was good for word help, etc. Now it seems almost no one at all uses a nickname and not only is it less personal but it contributes to the confusion in long threads. Nobody knows wh ...

We Desperately Need A UNION! I've Thought It For Years. SM
Mar 15, 2010

I was reading the posts below from the complainers complaining about the complainers, and I cannot believe there are so many deluded and ignorant MTs out there who believe that 3 cpl for VR and 8 cpl for transcription is a fair wage --- NO, not just a fair wage, they actually think it's something to sing about! When I started in this profession over 20 years ago, medical transcriptionists were a well respected part of the HIM team.  I earned $13 per hour back in the late 1980s!  ...

Voice Recognition - Power Scribe Several Times In The Past 4 Years
Oct 18, 2010

Have tried Power Scribe several times in the past 4 years.  I am curious why and how anyone can stand not being able to use their foot pedal and keyboard in the normal way.  Case in point is if the dictation is not clear, you cannot back up a few words.  Instead, you have to go all the way to the beginning again.  Need some insight here.   ...

Anyone Heard Of GO Partners, Past Or Present?
Sep 13, 2011

Has anyone heard of GO Partners, past or present?  Not much in the archives.  Good, bad, American company?  They had a posting listed but now it is down.  Just wondering... ...

Thought Had Heard Most All But
Dec 03, 2013

Just had a physician, yes MD, say while in the office her vitals were tooken. I backed this up and listed at least 3 times and that is exactly what was said. ...

Wondering Of Anyone Has Thought Of/heard Of This Position? TIA!
Feb 12, 2014

Im wondering if an MT with 23 yrs exp would ever be hired to dictate in-house FOR the physicians or input on an EMR FOR physicians?  Im not even sure that is a position or if it would be legal?  Anyone do this?  If so, what would you charge?  ...

Confused About People Laid Off Part Time Flex, Thought Flex Position Was Eliminated Years Ago
Aug 17, 2013

I am part time but not flex. I wanted to go flex but my CCM told me that they no longer had flex positions available. This was probably 2 years ago.  How is everyone part time flex? ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

Has Anyone Experienced...
Apr 12, 2010

I was wondering if anyone has expereinced having applied to an advertisement for a transcription job with any particular MTSO, receiving an "invitation to test" at around midnight, and then attempting to take the test.  What I found when attempting to take the "transcription test", was an hour and a half of written test, not a voice file transcription test, with very detailed questions.  I spent an hour and a half taking this test and checking every answer on the internet, whether I th ...

To VERY Experienced MTs
Feb 21, 2012

I have about 25 years in MT, owning a MTS and filling other roles in the field as well. Frequently on this board I read the frustrated posts from those with 20 to 30 years of experience who have submitted resumes/applications but do not hear back from the hiring company.  A couple of times I have suggested that OVERQUALIFICATION may explain the lack of call back.  Both times I was personally verbally attacked on this board, with the notion called "ridiculous" and "absurd." ...

Which Course For Experienced Nurse
Aug 11, 2010

I am looking into MT programs and wondering about one which advertises that it is geared to nurses: MT@Home Medical Transcription. It costs significantly less than the three programs which I see referenced quite a bit  -Andrews, M-Tec and Career Step, but it seems like these programs involve so much material that I already know. Years ago I did transcription for nurses, I've worked in hopitals/home and office environments as a nurse (also years ago) and I worked in pharmaceutical sales ...

Advice From The Experienced?
Jul 28, 2011

I am a newbie MT and wanted some advice from those of you more experienced than I. Today, every single dictation I have had is from a foreign doctor..the latest one said (not kidding) toe bec abu in da pa...which I finally made out to be tobacco abuse in the past. My line count is horrible! How do you compensate for reports like this that take a long time, while maintaining a decent line count? Thanks. ...

Is 14 Cpl Fair For Experienced IC?
Mar 28, 2012

I have been an IC for over 5 years and have decided to increase my rates from 12 cpl to 14 cpl.  In doing that, one of my doctors is thinking about replacing me.  I thought 14 cpl was a fair rate.  What does everyone else think? ...

I Think That All/most Of The Good, Experienced MTs
Mar 01, 2015

are going to end up quitting as soon as they possibly can, leaving behind a ton of newbies that will be super EASY to catch errors on (sorry newbies but you know it's true---it was true of myself when I was new).  And the newbies won't complain about getting 7 cpl EVERY week.  How's THAT for patient safety for ya? ...

Experienced But Feeling Like A Newbie!
Sep 12, 2011

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 10 years, working in cardiology, acute care and now radiology. I do radiology part-time from home right now and most shifts I do not even average minimum wage because of a shortage of work. The company I work for is small and works two typists per shift when there is only enough work for one. It is so frustrating! I have sent out about 20 resumes in the last couple of weeks and haven't heard a word from anyone. It used to be so easy to get a job b ...

Are Experienced MTs Finding Work Now Or Is There
Jan 05, 2012

not much out there. ...

Experienced MT Needing Work
Jan 10, 2012

I've been reading about various companies out there and wondering which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. Thanks!    ...

Hourly Wage As Experienced MTs At $.08/65 CPL
Jun 18, 2012

I'm just trying to figure out what the hourly wage might be for an "experienced"  MT if they were to start making $.08 per 65 cpl if they had a pretty good account and could type 75 words per minute.....and just an estimate would be appreciated...Thank you for your input. ...

I Have An Idea And Need A Couple Of Experienced
Oct 17, 2012

I would like to open a dialogue with 2 or 3 individuals with a minimum of 15 years experience in the field of medical transcription.  There is an alternative to explore in terms of taking back our profession and our livelihoods, and I need a couple of people knowledgeable in our field to brainstorm an idea with me.  No naysayers, please.  I want to talk to people who have not already given up on MT and are willing to think outside the box with me to seriously consider the feasibil ...

Another Experienced MT Fired From MModal
Feb 27, 2014

Sixteen years through various company takeovers, valued myself as extremely proficient, kept to the background, did my part in the team effort w/extra hours worked through countless holidays (what's a holiday?), parent illnesses, death, children's college, spousal layoffs, etc.  Watched in horror as my career was shredded with more and more condescending nonsense from QA to "classes," redundant pep rally conference calls, all leading to an after-shift (oh yes, I worked yesterday) ...

A Question For Experienced Coders
Mar 14, 2014

What are you thoughts on coders being paid on production/by the chart? As a recent graduate who is continuously learning, I just don't see how this could be a good thing, but maybe I'm wrong. Please - no bashing. I am just curious on opinions of seasoned coders. Thank you for any input. ...

Just Experienced The Power Hour
Dec 19, 2014

so for 1 hour we are going to get work from another POD that is way behind.....well guess what, if I had stayed in my own POD which is also flooded with work, I would have accomplished over 400 lines, but in this "power hour"  I typed a total of 95 lines because I spent all my time reading over client profiles and looking up old jobs making sure I got everything right. The hour is up, and strange jobs are coming in so I signed out for a break. Yeah...this power hour works really well. ...

Question For Experienced Coder
Jun 10, 2015

Would an experienced coder be willing to help me with a question via private email?  I am very new in school and feeling stumped already on something that seems very basic.  It has me wondering if I can do this after all. ...