A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Speaking of lawsuits, what happened to the one that - TransTech filed a while back? nm

Posted: Jun 18, 2011

nm

lawsuit - anonytoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you mean the one against the MT who post on this board? I haven't heard about that for a while.

The case was settled; they reached a resolution; according to public information - Be careful what you type

[ In Reply To ..]

This is all public information, so I hope the Moderator will not delete this.  Anyone can access this information from a government website.

Hopefully this will cause some posters to think twice before they type unsubstantiated comments about their present or former employer because they are mad at them right at that moment.  Once it is out there, it could be there forever.  

In case you do not remember the situation (or for people who never heard of it), TransTech took exception to some posts on MTStars by former (possibly even current) employees.  They were able to identify one person by legal name, but also identified 5 posters by their “monikers” that they had not yet identified by name.  The lawsuit was, therefore, against a total of 6 people.

Date filed: 07/08/2009
Date terminated: 08/25/2010

The lawsuit was filed on August 8, 2009 against defendants:

X X (named defendant)

and

Jane Does 1 – 5

Their claim was: 

The defendant(s) “published false or defamatory statements on a networking website in 2009.” “Jane Does 1 – 5 have posted on the MT Stars Internet Web site…”  “These defamatory posts have affected TransTech’s reputation in the industry and have damaged TransTech financially as well as by causing prospective employees not to pursue job opportunities with TransTech.”

Over a year later (and approximately 21 filings between the two attorneys), the final outcome was:

“TransTech and defendant X X have reached a resolution of the issues between and among themselves.  Therefore, TransTech desires to dismiss its claims against X X with prejudice to re-filing and desires to dismiss its claims against the Jane Doe defendants 1 through 5 without prejudice to re-filing.” 

In case you are not sure what the difference is between being dismissed “with prejudice” as opposed to “without prejudice,” here are the definitions:

WITH prejudice:  Premature termination of a court case under which a plaintiff is prevented from refilling it in the future on the same grounds. 

So, the lawsuit against the known Poster can never be filed again.  However, if TransTech ever finds out the legal names of the other 5 Jane Doe posters, they can file a lawsuit against them, until the statute of limitations expires. 

Pretty sad if you ask me.  TransTech, I am sure, has attorneys on retainer, but they still wasted a lot of time for, basically, nothing.  And, I image, even if X X had a relative who is an attorney or got a great fee reduction, it had to cost her some money and anxiety over that year. 

Just a cautionary tale to watch what you post on public message boards.  You never know when a company or even another person might decide to make an example of you.  Usually, they can afford it financially – most of us (dare I say ALL of us who post on this board) cannot. 

Please think before you type.  

Just my personal opinion.  

UPDATE:  Information/link provided by poster(s):

The documents are public information and can be found on the PACER website:

https://pcl.uscourts.gov/view?rid=7ztYJtoVTlZ2POLrJtGNj9MqKvr3LFKyZOIoM4Cg&page=1

4:09-cv-02637 Transtech Medical Solutions LLC v. Williams et al Gray H. Miller, presiding Date filed: 08/14/2009 Date terminated: 08/25/2010 Date of last filing: 08/25/2010

History

Doc.

No.   Dates       Description

Filed:      08/14/2009

Entered:    08/18/2009

Docket Text Notice of Removal

Filed & Entered:        08/18/2009

Docket Text Filing Fee Received

Filed & Entered:        09/08/2009

Docket Text Order

Filed & Entered:        09/08/2009

Docket Text Order for Initial Conference and Disclosure

Filed:      09/09/2009

Entered:    09/10/2009

Terminated:       02/25/2010

Docket Text Motion to Dismiss

Filed:      09/16/2009

Entered:    09/17/2009

Docket Text Statement

Filed & Entered:        09/17/2009

Terminated:       09/17/2009

Docket Text Motion for Extension of Time

Filed & Entered:        09/17/2009

Docket Text Order on Motion for Extension of Time

Filed & Entered:        09/23/2009

Docket Text Certificate of Interested Parties

Filed:      09/28/2009

Entered:    09/29/2009

Docket Text Certificate of Interested Parties

Filed & Entered:        10/01/2009

Docket Text JointDiscovery/Case Management Plan

Filed & Entered:        10/05/2009

Docket Text Scheduling Order

Filed & Entered:        10/07/2009

Docket Text Response to Motion

Filed & Entered:        10/07/2009

Docket Text Proposed Order

Filed & Entered:        10/08/2009

Docket Text Initial Disclosures

Filed & Entered:        10/12/2009

Docket Text Reply to Response to Motion

Filed & Entered:        02/12/2010

Docket Text ADR Status Report

Filed & Entered:        02/25/2010

Docket Text Order on Motion to Dismiss

Filed & Entered:        03/12/2010

Docket Text Answer to State Court Petition/Notice of Removal

Filed & Entered:        08/13/2010

Docket Text Initial Disclosures

Filed & Entered:        08/25/2010

Terminated:       08/25/2010

Docket Text Motion to Dismiss

Filed:      08/25/2010

Entered:    08/26/2010

Docket Text Order on Motion to Dismiss

Post - Moderator

[ In Reply To ..]
You need to add the link to this information if you want it to stay up on the board. Please contact me with the source.

cher@mtstars.com

@Moderator - Thank you

[ In Reply To ..]

@Moderator

I used the REPLY BY EMAIL to send you the information. 

If you need other information, I can send that also. 

Remember, a settlement isn't an admission of guilt. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
What this situation has done for me has made me decide I will never work for Transtech in any capacity. I have 30 years in the business and would be a valuable employee to them. However, I see this as a bullying and intimidation tactic on Transtech's part, and that doesn't fly with me. Companies that litigate like this don't get me or others like me who are wise enough not to touch them with a 10-foot pole.

it's a reminder, too... - noname

[ In Reply To ..]
of the concept of "substantiated" versus "unsubstantiated." If you think something unlawful's going on, you've got to keep copies of emails/logs of what you've noticed, etc. It's harder for suits to say you're just disgruntled if you can prove what you're complaining about is going on.
lawsuits and free speech - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
If someone is making false statements that can be proven false, that is one thing. But much of what is dicussed on these boards is our opinion about how we like working for companies. Are we safe in making those types of statements, or is that a risk also? Also, I have stated for instance that we have been micromanaged and frequently get nitpicked, is that considered libel? Just curious if anyone knows where the line is drawn here?
free speech - tter
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm certainly no lawyer, but I think opinions become liable when stated as facts and hurts their reputation. Like, if someone were to state that the company offshores (which they don't) or is being sold when they are not would be false information stated as fact. Liable would be if you said something to defame the company as a fact and it hurt the company.
libel - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the response, that was pretty much what I was thinking as well. If you give an opinion and state what has happened to you, as long as it is factual, that should NOT be anything you could be sued for. If you divulge company secrets, etc, that is a different matter.

Curious - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Has it ever been disclosed how they identified the poster? I remember reading about this when it happened, but had forgotten all about it. I am familiar with the policy of MTStars, so was just curious if anyone knows how it happened, whether the person posted their identity themselves or posted information regarding circumstances that was so unique to their situation as to make them easily identifiable by the company, or something else entirely.

Similar Messages:

Speaking Of Lawsuits
Aug 24, 2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2012cv05571/271621/   Found this on a Google search.  Is this old news?  It doesn't seem as though you can get any information about it anywhere. ...

Waiting For The Lawsuits To Start
Sep 28, 2012

I'm no longer an MT, but I wanted to share this with everyone to maybe brighten someone's day.  I was talking to a client the other day who is being treated for cancer.  We got to visiting and I told her I used to be a transcriptionist.  She mentioned she obtained copies of her medical record and it was full of mistakes!  Wrong meds, incorrect anatomy, etc.  Apparently the doc tried to blame an MT.  Come to find out an MT had never typed, seen, or edited t ...

All Talk About Lawsuits Cause Of VR Crap In Jobs. But Does Anyone
Sep 01, 2012

I havent seen any real evidence of a lawsuit brought on by bad VR (is there any other kind?)  I dont think anyone even cares enough to bring a lawsuit. ...

Precyse Lawsuits? Someone Mentioned "wait
Nov 28, 2012

until the lawsuits hit."  What lawsuits?  I'd love to get in on one of them..... ...

Class Action Lawsuits Against VR Cancers Would Start To Turn The Tide....
Jul 04, 2012

Many continue spinning their wheels in misdirected anger at the MTSOs who are the secondary byproducts/bottom feeders of the much larger metastatic VR software giants currently monopolizing this industry. Start hacking at the heads of the snakes & the tide will start to turn for MTs.  This below was posted on another thread and the first suggestion is spot on.    4cpl - Roda Posted: Jul 3rd, 2012 - 1:00 pm In Reply to: The abuse won't stop - Until we ...

Speaking Up At Webquist
Mar 18, 2010

Please see my post under the latest Webquist post.  We must band together..... ...

Speaking Of Shorthand
Feb 11, 2012

I have had Shorthand for about a year and have never had a problem with it. Recently I noticed some of the words I have in it type out wrong. Costing me a lot of time to have to go back and fix. Sometimes if I erase and type again, then it will come out correctly. Anyone have a similar problem with Shorthand? Would it have anything to do with my license expiring in about 3 weeks?  ...

English Speaking, I Think NOT!
Jul 03, 2013

Just got done transcribing garbage...there is no way that was any kind of English I recognized. Awful Asian dialect! ...

As Far As The English Speaking, Think Not
Jul 04, 2013

Let me tell you what happened to me the other day. I am traveling next week to Houston. I called a hotel there to make reservations. I said my name and then since it is sort of a long one, said let me spell that for you. Well no matter how much spelling I did, breaking it down into slow, 3 letters at a time, the person NEVER got it on the other end. I spelled the last name probably a total of 6 times total. In order to get confirmation through my email, it is my last name and then first and you ...

Relatively Speaking, Nuance Isn't So Bad.
Jul 22, 2013

Compared to the old Medquist (M Modal), Nuance is a piece of cake.  Wish there were more options like the good old days but looks like Nuance and M Modal is buying all the MT companies and ensuring there is no competion to allow MTs to make more money.  ...

Speaking Of Being Disrespectful To MTs, How Do You Like This?
Apr 01, 2015

I had a horrible sound quality report from a dictator I'd never done before. He wasn't too bad, but the sound quality was terrible and it was a surgical speciality that is not too common and I've maybe had one other report on that speciality in the last 3 months. I had to leave a BIG bunch of blanks. Hated to do it. Of coure it was many more over what I am allowed, so I turned it in to QA and was looking forward to seeing what the corrections were because that is a good learni ...

Medquist - I Got Fired For Speaking Up
Feb 17, 2010

I spoke my mind by sending this to all MQ addresses I could gather.  I got canned for it.  Not worried about it though.  Maybe it will make a difference.  I sure hope so.  Here it is:   I am hoping that this letter will alert any concerned MQ personnel to a potential disaster.  By introduction, I am one of many MQ employees who take pride in their position, in their work, and in their loyalty.  I am one of many MQ MTs who accepted and eagerly learned ne ...

A Coworker Speaking For The Group
Jun 01, 2011

At almost everyone of our weekly meetings there is a coworker who complains about everything.  She is never happy and monopolizes each and every meeting.  I know she doesn't speak for me, not sure about everyone else, but she speaks up as though she has conferenced with us all and that we are all in agreement.  How do I politley tell her to stop whining unless she specifically speaks for herself?  I am happy with my job, my pay rate, my hours.........everything that ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5
Dec 16, 2011

I have the Standard version 10 and had to deal with a lot of bug issues with it.  I love the program, but I didn't like the constant problems with trying to download updates, etc.  (I have Vista).    I wondered if anyone else out there bought this updated version and was pleased with it.  I'm hoping to hear that they have the bugs worked out of this program, as the program itself is great and a valuable assest to an MT who types in Word.  Any feedback a ...

Speaking Of A Good Laugh...
Feb 08, 2012

This Shaw guy is pretty funny, telling all of DSG how great his company is going to be to work for!  As if none of us read this forum and know the truth. I'm really starting to hope this 2012 end of the world stuff actually happens!       ...

Speaking Of Shorthand, I Have A Question
Feb 13, 2012

I have been trying to figure out for two days (even reading the tutorial) on how to import my MS word autocorrect/autoexpansions into this program to no avail.D Did anyone else have this experience and, if so, what did you find helped you to "crack" whatever code is needed?  It doesn't come with many, if any preloaded expanders and the medical expanders on the download site require yet MORE downloads to install them (and to pay for them as well).  Any suggestions appreciated bef ...

Speaking Of The Employee Handbook
Apr 03, 2013

When you sign for the employee handbook, it says something about no employee or manager can make up rules that contradict it. ...

Small MTSO Speaking Out ... SM
Aug 06, 2013

I've been a member of this board for years and feel it's time to speak out from a business owner's perspective.  I see a lot of negativity against MTSOs (maybe it's just the big ones but still it touches a nerve) and just wanted to give my 2 cents.Not all of us are greedy, mean, nasty, evil people.  I can't speak for everyone but as for myself, I don't consider myself that way at all and my team of transcriptionists doesn't think so either.  As a ...

Speaking Of Glassdoor Reviews,
Mar 23, 2014

for MModal from yet another Indian employee:   “Horrible company to work, near to hell” ...

Speaking Of Issues With Synernet, Has Anyone Else
Jul 15, 2014

had issues with Thin Client freezing ALL THE TIME or just going way too slow?  ...

Speaking Of IMEDX, Has Anyone Noticed That The VR Is Almost (sm)
Dec 04, 2014

it was when we were originally training it?  Some days now it's even worse.  I wonder what is going on.  Things that have been corrected forever now have to be corrected again, and a lot of times it is spewing out gibberish.  What's up with that? ...

Speaking Of Irritating Noises...
Jan 23, 2015

It's that cold time of year, where the MT is forced to listen to dictators with a LOT of snot in their noses, which they periodically loudly sniff back and swallow.  Unfortunately, I have a very vivid imagination, and the mental image of makes me almost gag. Another annoying thing is when doctors speak in a low, barely audible voice, but their "S's" come out with a whistle, so each time you turn the sound up, you get the loud, shrieking whistle ...

What Does QA Get Paid Generally Speaking?
Mar 20, 2015

I'm burned out as an MT and thinking of asking to be put in a QA position at my work. Does anyone know (or want to share) what kind of income a QA position provides? Ballpark figures would be welcome, just for some idea.  TIA. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Instead Of Transcribing?
Nov 06, 2009

Has anyone used Dragon NS instead of transcribing?  Does it take a long time to train it?  Is it really faster and worth the money?  Thanks! ...

Addendum To Dragon Naturally Speaking....
Jan 18, 2010

I was thinking of using this as a replacement for typing/transcribing.  For example when I hear the dictation, I then repeat it to the Dragon voice recognition software, and it types for me. (You need to read the post before this one for it to all make sense -- sorry!) Thanks, Abby ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking & Medrite
Sep 24, 2010

Does anyone know if Dragon Naturally Speaking can work with the old verson of the old Medrite transcription platform? Thanks. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Standard 10
Aug 28, 2011

I purchased and installed this application for some classes I am taking.  I thought it would save time with notes etc and it does ------ when functioning properly. I also contemplated the medical version for my transcription.   It is probably just me, I am sure, but I just do not know how to fine tune.  The only thing I know to do when I run into a problem is to uninstall and rei nstall.  To my knowledge there is no technical support. &nb ...

ESL Speaking In English And Native Language???
Jun 10, 2014

For the last several weeks I have been sending reports for a particular MD to QA with lots of blanks.  No problems with other MDs or PAs, just that one.  Found out a couple of days ago that I'm not the only one sending lots of blanks back for the same MD.  Finally got a couple of my QAs back and there was a notation that the facility is working with this MD to take English classes because the blanks have been words/phrases from the native language.  Seriously?!?!  I ...

Speaking Of Platforms, Has Anyone Used FutureNet Platform?
Oct 31, 2014

Is it easy to learn?  TIA ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Success Stories?
Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  ...