A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Speaking of IMEDX, has anyone noticed that the VR is almost (sm) - Spinning my wheels

Posted: Dec 04, 2014

it was when we were originally training it?  Some days now it's even worse.  I wonder what is going on.  Things that have been corrected forever now have to be corrected again, and a lot of times it is spewing out gibberish.  What's up with that?

Yeah - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's weird too. I've been fixing things that shouldn't be a problem at all. Words clearly stated are being missed entirely or "misquoted". Words that are garbled come out stranger in the text than what was actually said (or attempted to be said). Sometimes, it makes me laugh. Other times, I wish for a pay raise to make up for the additional work of an almost total rewrite.

Inexperienced MTs or new grads training SR? - Rachel

[ In Reply To ..]
That is the only explanation I can think of why it would learn, then unlearn. I've noticed in the past couple of weeks that the accuracy has taken a nose dive.

There you go blaming the MT...NOT SO Rachel - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
1. None of these companies are hiring inexperienced MTs. They have their pick out of hundreds. Why do we always blame the MT? Hospital lawyers always wanted "typo" to be the only classification of a replaced report.
2. The Dragon is a machine.
3. The Dragon is man made.
4. The dictators can be inaudible to a human, let alone a machine.
5. Sales promoters have convinced the clients that the machine makes no mistakes and is faster.
SMALL
EXAMPLE: Machine heard: Metastases.
Word said : Atelectasis.

What is happening is that MTs are making mistakes - I use Dragon, I know

[ In Reply To ..]

Say that a certain doctor was trained correctly and MTs typed correctly, the word metastasis... then another MT comes along, maybe has a report that has to be straight typed or maybe it's an MT who thought the speaker said atelectasis... so they change it.  They just retrained the months of training that had been correct to begin with.  All it takes is one bad apple and then another person to let it slide or not notice it when they have that doctor next... and so on and so on.  The system learns from what we type.  If it's typed more than once or skipped over and not noticed after being typed incorrectly once... then the system is going to go with atelectasis when the doctor said metastasis... from now on - until another MT comes along and fixes it - and then it has to happen a couple of more times...

This is why VR will never work.  MTs who don't have the experience or even the education of 7th grade English are being hired.  MTs who have experience but are lazy and incompetent at their jobs are being hired.  It's the people who have all of a sudden decided that working from home is the dream job - but they have no real skills to back it up - and companies are hiring them left and right because they will work for dirt.  Blame those MTs.  And yes, it is the MTs messing up the VR, every single time.  I used to train accounts before releasing them to the MTs - and they would be trained perfectly, according to account specifics, etc... and a month later after releasing those accounts - jacked up as heck.  

Happening to me, and I think you are wrong. (sm) - Old Timer

[ In Reply To ..]
We trained the VR on my particular hospital(s) about 3 years ago or so. Very little correction was needed, except for a few words that kept going back and forth, which would bear out your claim - example: arousable/arouseable. This is different, and it is ever since we were informed of this "merger", shortly thereafter anyway. Now it leaves entire phrases out or puts in something really stupid. It can go either way. I don't believe there are that many new people on the account to make this happen. There's another explanation out there, just not sure what it is.

Prob started offshore MTs - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
Nm

Sure there is, physicians don't know how to speak - properly for VR

[ In Reply To ..]
It amazes me that transcriptionists are buying into the fact they are training VR. Really, how do you do that? You putting the voice back through the system when you are done with the job so it can have all those corrections you made. I know when I train I have to repeatedly say the word over and over again until the VR prints out the right word. I gave it the right word.

I posted above this morning, but it was moved to Main Board (sm) - my 2 cents

[ In Reply To ..]
I had a report this morning that said, "Throat: The patient is a horse." Please don't tell me that's a problem with the VR. We had this puppy trained for about 3 years.
Here's another: Velocities on the carotid ultrasound (sm) - The last cities? Really?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Ok, last one, I promise (same report, BTW) (sm - me again
[ In Reply To ..]
"self limited in terms of symptoms as it already is."

NOT - self limited in terms of symptoms as Citardi is. WHAT???
Exactly. It is the VR not the transcriptionist - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Not all VR programs created equally - NOT necessarily MTs fault

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never used Dragon, so I am not commenting on that program; it may be one of the better ones. At TransTech/Imedx I work in ExEditor, which is a really dumb VR. For example ... the system was trained to spit out cm for centimeter and did for a long time. Then comes along some new (I am guessing here) MT or MTs to the account and typed out the word centimeter. Unfortunately, it then learned to spit out the word centimeter instead of cm. My account manager asked us repeatedly (until she gave up because she saw the system was not going to "relearn") to change it back to cm so we could reteach the system. The client had cracked down and was unhappy about it. Because it was emphasized to us so much, client unhappy, etc. I assume the other MTs, as well as myself, made a very conscious effort to change this every single time. Well, the system never has relearned the word to be cm. That was about a year and a half ago.

On this account, this goes for every metric unit of measure. The VR spits out the entire word. Every frickin single report not only do I have to change centimeter to be cm, I have to change millimeter to be mm, milligram to be mg, microgram to be mcg. It is very frustrating and a huge waste of time.

As I said STUPID VR system. It doesn't relearn. If it didn't get it correct in the beginning when the doc first switched over from traditional to speech, forget about it ... its not going to happen.

I know that program, but I am on Editscript, and it is - excellent - (was)

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Actually the 'cm' versus centimeter issue was a result of - Programming

[ In Reply To ..]
They changed something else in the program and a side effect was no more autucorrect on measurements no matter how many times the MTs correct them, doesnt happen on all sites for account, and for some reason Tech never fixed it, probably too much else going on :(

I've worked on ExEditor as a trainer and the program has a - setting for something like that

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like it was reset somehow and your account manager doesn't know this. It has all sorts of formatting options. In other words, depending on client requests, someone can say 5 foot 6 and it can be programmed to put in 5 feet 6 inches, a date dictated 10/23/2014 can be programmed to to display as October 23, 2014, etc. Centimeter vs cm is a simple one. It shouldn't matter what is dictated and what an MT does. It should come out the same way every time if it is set to default to that.

I think the problem is that these software salesmen sell these programs, but don't train the higher-ups at the MTSOs (or the higher-ups don't care or don't pass on what they're told), and thus the program isn't used correctly. It's so frustrating, but it's all to the detriment of the ones who use it the most! All the errors you mention you have to keep changing (and costing you money) such as millimeter vs mm, milligram vs mg, etc. is a SUPER SIMPLE setting. If the VR platform is programmed for the opposite of what it should be, it can never be trained because it's a setting issue. Someone who should be taking care of this has dropped the ball.
This is really disturbing - felt better when I thought was just stupid VR
[ In Reply To ..]
Really ticks me off that someone simply dropped the ball ... A ball that is costing me money every day. I wonder if it is the client who dropped the ball or Transtech/imedx.
I think it has something to do with us now training Indians. - To take our jobs.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

it's not a "stupid VR" system - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's stupid people who have control over the speech engine. They can very easily edit the Properties to have the program insert things correctly. Example - they can configure it to always type "cm" after a number.

If the people in charge of the speech engine don't make the changes on their end, there is absolutely nothing you can do on your end to resolve the issue.
IT costs more than MT - Rachel
[ In Reply To ..]
It costs the MTSO nothing to have us changing centimeter to cm, so why should they worry about it? Tech support is usually men, which means they make an hourly living wage, which costs the company 10 tines what we make per hour so they avoid using them.

Atelectasis/metastasis - Not impressed

[ In Reply To ..]
Not every dictation is canned. If atelectasis fits the context of the report then it needs to be changed. QA or the physician is supposed to catch that anyway, the provider is supposed to read the documentation before signing off. People who are lazy and incompetent get fired. MTs test into positions and I believe that at least a high school diploma or GED is required, it's required to get into a college or trade school, your argument doesn't hold water. I've seen documents that go through "trained" speech systems and it is not the MTs fault, it's the crap technology that can't tell the difference between sound alike words.

Yeah, I noticed - gonesoon

[ In Reply To ..]
after we were forced to download Norton. It wasn't doing this before, and I've been working on the account for 2 years. It is so far off, especially on meds, whole chunks of dictation are missing. and it's not for new dictators to speech, I'm noticing it on dictators that have been on speech for the last 2 years. I blame Norton.

I had no problem with Norton 360 - Rachel

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not happy that I pay $80 a year to use Norton 360, and have had to delete it to use the MTSO's program, which doesn't even have basic settings of features. I've also lost all the diagnostic and maintenance features of 360. Now my PC runs like a slug.

Since voice recognition has to recognize speech, none of this conversation - makes sense to me, sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure why the transcriptionist would be expected to train a system. It can only learn what the voice is saying by the particular person speaking to it. Sure, you can make the corrections but if they do not put the corrections through the speech recognition program after being corrected, it would never recognize the corrections. It always has to have the voice for the corrections. I have voice recognition on my computer and the speaker has to learn how to talk to it. Some words, it just never learns no matter how many times I correct it. So don't be so quick to blame it on some transcriptionist typing in the wrong words.

Similar Messages:

Imedx And Moderator At MT Stars, Plz Ignore All Employees/posters Of Imedx
Feb 03, 2015

Moderator, please delete everything on your site that refers to Imedx, even this post of mine, it is only the right thing to do. I prefer to be angry and have no where to vent. Last week we were told by Op Mgr that "she has a call into the client about why volume is so low." Yesterday, we got a "yippee" from "her" about having a coupla hundred jobs ready. This morning, we got an email saying, "we need to make sure you have backup accounts now." I wont address the timesheet issue, I am still ...

If It Looks Like IMEDX, Talks Like IMEDX, It Is IMEDX
Feb 28, 2015

No one on this board seems to give specifics when they get canned from IMEDX. So my question is this: Can each person who got laid off/fired let us know more details. Were you PT or full time, did they call or did they email, did you have options, or just firing. How many lines did you do per day. Some of us may not be in your situation and you may have been just an employee that was not worth IMEDX's time and they got rid of you while they may keep all the others, or full timers. Details p ...

Speaking Up At Webquist
Mar 18, 2010

Please see my post under the latest Webquist post.  We must band together..... ...

Speaking Of Shorthand
Feb 11, 2012

I have had Shorthand for about a year and have never had a problem with it. Recently I noticed some of the words I have in it type out wrong. Costing me a lot of time to have to go back and fix. Sometimes if I erase and type again, then it will come out correctly. Anyone have a similar problem with Shorthand? Would it have anything to do with my license expiring in about 3 weeks?  ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits
Aug 24, 2012

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2012cv05571/271621/   Found this on a Google search.  Is this old news?  It doesn't seem as though you can get any information about it anywhere. ...

English Speaking, I Think NOT!
Jul 03, 2013

Just got done transcribing garbage...there is no way that was any kind of English I recognized. Awful Asian dialect! ...

As Far As The English Speaking, Think Not
Jul 04, 2013

Let me tell you what happened to me the other day. I am traveling next week to Houston. I called a hotel there to make reservations. I said my name and then since it is sort of a long one, said let me spell that for you. Well no matter how much spelling I did, breaking it down into slow, 3 letters at a time, the person NEVER got it on the other end. I spelled the last name probably a total of 6 times total. In order to get confirmation through my email, it is my last name and then first and you ...

Relatively Speaking, Nuance Isn't So Bad.
Jul 22, 2013

Compared to the old Medquist (M Modal), Nuance is a piece of cake.  Wish there were more options like the good old days but looks like Nuance and M Modal is buying all the MT companies and ensuring there is no competion to allow MTs to make more money.  ...

Speaking Of Being Disrespectful To MTs, How Do You Like This?
Apr 01, 2015

I had a horrible sound quality report from a dictator I'd never done before. He wasn't too bad, but the sound quality was terrible and it was a surgical speciality that is not too common and I've maybe had one other report on that speciality in the last 3 months. I had to leave a BIG bunch of blanks. Hated to do it. Of coure it was many more over what I am allowed, so I turned it in to QA and was looking forward to seeing what the corrections were because that is a good learni ...

Medquist - I Got Fired For Speaking Up
Feb 17, 2010

I spoke my mind by sending this to all MQ addresses I could gather.  I got canned for it.  Not worried about it though.  Maybe it will make a difference.  I sure hope so.  Here it is:   I am hoping that this letter will alert any concerned MQ personnel to a potential disaster.  By introduction, I am one of many MQ employees who take pride in their position, in their work, and in their loyalty.  I am one of many MQ MTs who accepted and eagerly learned ne ...

Speaking Of Lawsuits, What Happened To The One That
Jun 18, 2011

nm ...

A Coworker Speaking For The Group
Jun 01, 2011

At almost everyone of our weekly meetings there is a coworker who complains about everything.  She is never happy and monopolizes each and every meeting.  I know she doesn't speak for me, not sure about everyone else, but she speaks up as though she has conferenced with us all and that we are all in agreement.  How do I politley tell her to stop whining unless she specifically speaks for herself?  I am happy with my job, my pay rate, my hours.........everything that ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5
Dec 16, 2011

I have the Standard version 10 and had to deal with a lot of bug issues with it.  I love the program, but I didn't like the constant problems with trying to download updates, etc.  (I have Vista).    I wondered if anyone else out there bought this updated version and was pleased with it.  I'm hoping to hear that they have the bugs worked out of this program, as the program itself is great and a valuable assest to an MT who types in Word.  Any feedback a ...

Speaking Of A Good Laugh...
Feb 08, 2012

This Shaw guy is pretty funny, telling all of DSG how great his company is going to be to work for!  As if none of us read this forum and know the truth. I'm really starting to hope this 2012 end of the world stuff actually happens!       ...

Speaking Of Shorthand, I Have A Question
Feb 13, 2012

I have been trying to figure out for two days (even reading the tutorial) on how to import my MS word autocorrect/autoexpansions into this program to no avail.D Did anyone else have this experience and, if so, what did you find helped you to "crack" whatever code is needed?  It doesn't come with many, if any preloaded expanders and the medical expanders on the download site require yet MORE downloads to install them (and to pay for them as well).  Any suggestions appreciated bef ...

Speaking Of The Employee Handbook
Apr 03, 2013

When you sign for the employee handbook, it says something about no employee or manager can make up rules that contradict it. ...

Small MTSO Speaking Out ... SM
Aug 06, 2013

I've been a member of this board for years and feel it's time to speak out from a business owner's perspective.  I see a lot of negativity against MTSOs (maybe it's just the big ones but still it touches a nerve) and just wanted to give my 2 cents.Not all of us are greedy, mean, nasty, evil people.  I can't speak for everyone but as for myself, I don't consider myself that way at all and my team of transcriptionists doesn't think so either.  As a ...

Speaking Of Glassdoor Reviews,
Mar 23, 2014

for MModal from yet another Indian employee:   “Horrible company to work, near to hell” ...

Speaking Of Issues With Synernet, Has Anyone Else
Jul 15, 2014

had issues with Thin Client freezing ALL THE TIME or just going way too slow?  ...

Speaking Of Irritating Noises...
Jan 23, 2015

It's that cold time of year, where the MT is forced to listen to dictators with a LOT of snot in their noses, which they periodically loudly sniff back and swallow.  Unfortunately, I have a very vivid imagination, and the mental image of makes me almost gag. Another annoying thing is when doctors speak in a low, barely audible voice, but their "S's" come out with a whistle, so each time you turn the sound up, you get the loud, shrieking whistle ...

What Does QA Get Paid Generally Speaking?
Mar 20, 2015

I'm burned out as an MT and thinking of asking to be put in a QA position at my work. Does anyone know (or want to share) what kind of income a QA position provides? Ballpark figures would be welcome, just for some idea.  TIA. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Instead Of Transcribing?
Nov 06, 2009

Has anyone used Dragon NS instead of transcribing?  Does it take a long time to train it?  Is it really faster and worth the money?  Thanks! ...

Addendum To Dragon Naturally Speaking....
Jan 18, 2010

I was thinking of using this as a replacement for typing/transcribing.  For example when I hear the dictation, I then repeat it to the Dragon voice recognition software, and it types for me. (You need to read the post before this one for it to all make sense -- sorry!) Thanks, Abby ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking & Medrite
Sep 24, 2010

Does anyone know if Dragon Naturally Speaking can work with the old verson of the old Medrite transcription platform? Thanks. ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Standard 10
Aug 28, 2011

I purchased and installed this application for some classes I am taking.  I thought it would save time with notes etc and it does ------ when functioning properly. I also contemplated the medical version for my transcription.   It is probably just me, I am sure, but I just do not know how to fine tune.  The only thing I know to do when I run into a problem is to uninstall and rei nstall.  To my knowledge there is no technical support. &nb ...

ESL Speaking In English And Native Language???
Jun 10, 2014

For the last several weeks I have been sending reports for a particular MD to QA with lots of blanks.  No problems with other MDs or PAs, just that one.  Found out a couple of days ago that I'm not the only one sending lots of blanks back for the same MD.  Finally got a couple of my QAs back and there was a notation that the facility is working with this MD to take English classes because the blanks have been words/phrases from the native language.  Seriously?!?!  I ...

Speaking Of Platforms, Has Anyone Used FutureNet Platform?
Oct 31, 2014

Is it easy to learn?  TIA ...

Dragon Naturally Speaking Success Stories?
Nov 12, 2009

I'd like some advice from those out there that are using this.  I have 32-bit Vista.  I have heard that version 10 is a nightmare to install with cruddy tech support from Nuance.  Therefore, I am considering going with version 9 Preferred if I can find it.  I can't afford the Medical software, but I have heard of MTs having good results with training the Preferred version to medical words.  My hands are bothering me, and I need to get this software to help out with reports.  ...

Voice Recognition - Plain Speaking Dictators
Feb 07, 2013

I wish someone would tweak the VR as lately I am taking more time to do corrections than I could have typed it.  It prints out whole paragraphs of things the dictator is not saying and these are plain speaking dictators.  No wonder I keep getting poorer. ...

Has Anyone Noticed
May 10, 2010

that, on companies sites, they do not always put the LOCATION of the company and you have to search for it? I think that is odd. You would think that would be the first thing that they do. I find it strange. ...