A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Someone below made the statement to end all statements - Debbie

Posted: Jan 20, 2010

Do you agree with this? 

'A reality check for you would be to see your job for what it is. You are a typist, transcriptionist or what used to be known as a STENO POOL worker.'

And: 

'It's not that difficult a job to learn to do.'

Or do you see yourself as a skilled professional called on to make life and death decisions of your own when typing medical records (ex:  Did the mumbling ESL dictator mean '4 mg' of nitroglycerin as dictated and spat out by VR or '4 mcg' as you know is correct?  Gee, could make a difference there if not corrected based on your knowledge as a skilled MT!)?

Inquiring minds want to know!

re: Debbie - crusty fossil

[ In Reply To ..]

I USED to believe and think that my job as an MT was extremely pertinent.  I used to be proud.  It is the INDUSTRY that has made it to be what it is today.  To them, we ARE just a typing pool.  Once upon a time I loved this job so much that I took all the steps necessary to get certified, get a degree in records, test each year for anything and everything to make myself more than qualified to MT and code and work in a records department.  Once upon a time, not so very long ago.  Look where I am now...

I still do my work, carefully and with precision and expertise, but I am hidden away inside my home, nothing more than an anonymous number to a corporate monster that will never ever know what my face looks like, or what great pride I have in my work. I certainly don't reap the rewards of a hard working, well-educated woman either! 

We ARE like steno typists, speciality typists, but typists nonetheless.  Not by any means our fault, just our burden.  Sad times. 

CRUSTY FOSSIL IS RIGHT ON! - old mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Totally agree. Once a proud member of the medical community - now just a gear in the machine. Remember when we used to wear lab coats and held our heads up high. Proud to be a transcriptionist. Unfortunately the last pose is so right - now we are just a means to an end. It is so very sad!

I second that! - Disheartened

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I work for calls us typists, the one before that called us typists. So much for the few thousand I spent on my two-year degree.....awfully expensive to become a typist.
Have a feeling Debbie is not liking these answers. - Lynn
[ In Reply To ..]
Not exactly what she is looking for.

I don't know who made that statement but (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If I had to hazard a guess, I would bet it was made by one of those MTSOs who simply sees us as a means to an end. The person thinks it's an easy job but in truth she probably couldn't transcribe her way out of a paper bag.

Long time MT - Aiwa

[ In Reply To ..]
This is in no way an EASY job and I'm confident there are many EXPERT MTs on this board. I do, however agree with Crusty Fossil's reply to the OP. It is sad what has happened to those of us who have either learned on our own or have gone to school to learn to work in a profession that is going down the toilet so willingly. We are the forgotten professionals, now seen as nothing more than typists, assigned ID numbers.

I appreciate you out there who continue to do your work with pride and expertise. If it were not for us, I wonder what state medical records departments would be in.

Best to all, lets hang in there.

When your pay only decreases, how can - Gerta

[ In Reply To ..]
you kid yourself to think you are a skilled professional? Just because we used to be of value, we are not any more. We are just typists. Salary reflects that. Also, if we were thought of as being so skilled, would these companies be offshoring everything they can?

re: Gerta - Milliscent

[ In Reply To ..]
Sad but true. If we were regarded as "professionals" it would be reflected in our pay. It makes me sad for those who spent so much on their degrees. Crusty Fossil is right. You're right too.

I would like to thank all for your serious replies - Debbie

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead of those from way below that sounded like they were spat out by VR.

So, those of you who answered and feel you ARE just a typist, what do you do in the case where you receive an email from mgmt reminding you that if a dictator puts in the wrong patient, we HAVE TO CATCH THIS because the client is recording this as HIPAA violations? Laugh and say 'Bite me!'?

Or what do you do when the inevitable memo comes out saying 'Dr. Nospeaksogoodanytime wants you to put blah blah blah when he says nit nit nit.'? Ignore it and delete the email?

Because how can anyone who is paid McDonald's wages be expected to be anything more than a typing machine. We aren't paid to think in that case.

Do you look up spellings, check dosages, look up past reports when doc says 'left' then 'right' then 'left' in, say, an H&P regarding amputating someone's leg? Or do you just type verbatim, giving them the quality they are paying for?

Thanks in advance for SERIOUS answers.

For what I think is a mistake, I leave a blank. If - Gerta

[ In Reply To ..]
they switch from right leg to left leg for that amputation you mention, I type it as is and send it to QA with a message. I look up spellings, check dosages, etc. But I'm still a typist. At least the typists moved up to office managers. There is no up for us. But I still work on doing my job right.

Just because we're typists doesn't mean we do a poor job.

Me too, I leave notes and send it on - MTME

[ In Reply To ..]
(re: the dose of nitro) Even when I am pretty sure my answer is correct, I leave a note for the doc and let him correct.. keeps 'em on their toes, too!

debbie - chachaboogie

[ In Reply To ..]
Taking it a bit personally. You asked for feedback and got it.

I believe the general tone is that we all do this job to the best of our abilities, but are so expendable within these monster corporations that we are out and out BEAT DOWN.

We are not appreciated, not paid for the work we go and not recognized at all! It doesn't mean we don't do our jobs like we're suppose to!

We ARE "experts" treated as nothing more than typists in a steno pool.

PS: My nephew has worked at a McDonalds for 11+ years. He makes 35K a year... Not bad for a burger flipper if you ask me. I've worked in this industry for 22+ years and my pay has STEADILY declined. I'm not even at 25K anymore. So, enough of your McDonald's reference as a low wage job. THEY treat their long-term employees well.

~over and out.

Nope, don't take it personally at all, except when - Debbie

[ In Reply To ..]
we are expected to do EVERYTHING for McDonald's wages (and I mean burger flippers, not managers, BTW). That's why I was asking about REALITY. Do the MTSOs REALLY think that people being payed, let me clarify it, burger flipping wages, should really, I mean REALLY be depended on to make life and death decisions.

Just because those of you let the MTSOs sweet talk you into doing everything for a pittance does not mean it is right. Unfortunately, in a female-dominated profession (and it IS a profession, my friends, even if neither you nor the MTSOs consider it one anymore), this is the way employees are treated. Do you REALLY think a guy would put up with the cutesy "dear, sweetie" nonsense dished out to ensure a good job? I'm sorry, but in my book, money talks and you know what walks.

I'm talking again about REALITY, folks. Do you REALLY, REALLY (and this is more addressed to the MTSOs than to you, my fellow MTs) expect that folks making burger wages are really going to give a blank if the dictation is correct or not? Those of you up there on your high horses may say, 'why, of course! I would do a perfect job no matter if they asked me to pay them!' However, I suspect again you would be the exception to the rule.

And, PLEASE, don't take my comments personally. I am just trying to figure out why the MTSOs think the MTs should give a hoot about quality and HIPAA violations with the wages they are paying us. Just curious, that's all.
If I worked at McDonald's, I'd still try to do my - Gerta
[ In Reply To ..]
job right. It's about a work ethic. Good or bad. I like to think mine is good. If you wanted extra pickles, I'd give them to you.

I don't understand your post, Debbie. I work for a major MTSO and there has been no attempt at sweet talking me. I'm not so stupid to know they are making money hand over fist. I thought the original question was do we think we are typists or something more.

We are typists. Nothing more. We have no value. If they can get a machine or a poverty stricken country to do it for cheap to line their pockets, they will.

Still, I do my job. Do I labor over a word or phrase for more that a few listens? Nah. That's a job for QA. I don't get paid enough to bend over backwards. But I do have a responsibility to do my best.

Exactly my point. - Debbie
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I believe that most folks who flip burgers at McDonald's (ok, I'm being charitable here!) strive to do a good job. The point is, it isn't that complicated and hard to learn. They aren't involved in life and death decision making. Unlike you. However, I certainly agree with you about not being my job to fill in words, look up meds, etc. But the MTSOs will try to tell you it is. Because, this is how it used to be. We did EVERYTHING, took garbage by an ESL doc and turned it into a quality document. But we were paid well too.

This is my point: If this is the new reality, if we are nothing but 'typists,' 'steno pool clerks,' then it is time for the MTSOs to wake up to the new reality, also. If they want this kind of quality, service, etc., they are going to have to pay for it. Ever hear the phrase TINFL?

THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH.
Cheap, fast, and accurate--pick any two - Lilikoi
[ In Reply To ..]
This phrase was posted in a print shop I visited one time, and I believe it is the truth. One of these days that will become apparent to those who are trying to have it all.

I told you Debbie would not be liking these answers - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
I am willing to say she was shocked not to have everyone agreeing with her. She tries to compare us to the lowly paid McDonald's employee. Am glad to see that person come on and say how much a McDonald person actually making. It is as if she laughs at a person trying to make an honest living. Well, Ms Debbie, you asked for it and got it. I am going to go out on the limb and say the nephew working at McDonald's and the newbie there do not make the hamburgers any different because of their salaries, now do they? Silly comparisons first talked about.
Once again, not sure what this personality of yours is on about. - Debbie
[ In Reply To ..]
Like I said in my previous email, I was happy to get honest answers. I'm not sure exactly what it is in your mind you think I am expecting you to agree with. I'm asking for opinions on whether the MTSO's can really expect people making McDonald BURGER FLIPPING wages (and you seem to have some anger associated with McDonald's. Working there now, possibly? Lol.) to be responsible for quality and life and death decision making that goes into a report.

Now, I suggest it is time for your meds. Perhaps you can get one of your other personalities to give them to you. :)
I am having a really big laugh tonight and it is all - Lynn
[ In Reply To ..]
on you. You thought you would post up here because of someone below stating we were just typists and anyone could do this job. You assumed that others would totally agree with you. Don’t you have egg on your face now? Not only did they disagree with you but also called you on the carpet because you really offend people. You put down workers at McDonald and I real with glee the person whose nephew works at McDonald's and makes the $35,000 a year. All day long you have tried to belittle others because of their making less working on something rather than straight "typing." You might say I have multiple personalities (whatever that means to you?) but at least I did not come on here hoping to get others on my side to find out just the opposite. Gosh, I sure have had my laughs for the day. You sure got your honest answers, didn’t you SusieQ?
I want to apologize for the remarks I made - Lynn
[ In Reply To ..]
Should have kept my thoughts to myself and sorry for the remarks here.
Your apology is accepted. I feel for you. Really. - Debbie
[ In Reply To ..]
You see, I used to do volunteer work in a halfway house for the mentally challenged so can understand definitely where you are coming from. Keep taking your meds and you will certainly make progress!
Re: ''apology accepted - Debbie'' - Alice
[ In Reply To ..]
(Your apology-accepted response was hilarious!) Hard to believe that many of the ''we are typists with no education'' responses are from actual MTs (more likely from unskilled office workers--lower level management, clerks, recruiters, HR, etc, who are simply posing and venting their bitterness. As any long-term, career MT who once worked in-house would know, the experience and educational backgrounds of successful MTs are varied and come from many walks of life--those with 4-year degrees in unrelated fields (a former teacher and former RN come to mind). Some extremely skilled MTs with community college training or adult education courses and some remarkable MTs with especially sharp minds, hearing, and powers of discernment with high school education only. Some of these ridiculous posts are oozing, either with sour grapes or self-hatred. But your response to the especially weird one who kept repeating herself was truly funny.
Alice, you think you were saying ok to this post but - Lynn
[ In Reply To ..]
in reality the one who did the apologizing was not the one who Debbie THOUGHT posted about the MTs being just typists with no education. You see what happened, if you had followed the thread below, was someone else posted about MTs working in a steno pool and nothing more than just a typist. That was not me but was taken to be me. I have always done well in this field, have never considered myself just to be a typist, in fact when others would say typist I would be quick to let them know exactly what it does take to become a transcriptionist and it is a lot and ongoing. Not everyone on the street could do this job. I have no sour grapes, I have an excellent job, make good money, was well trained in this field, have almost 40 years of doing this (unlike the person posting of 25 years). I was trained inhouse and worked there for 15 years so my background is not just picking up a match cover and thinking, oh, something I would like to do and stay home with the kids. My background even prior to the MTing field was always in some form of medical work be it a children's hospital, a doctor's office, billing so I have spent my life with this work. Again, I guess you thought you were answering and shoring up what this person thought, but so totally wrong.
Time for those meds, Lynn! - Dr. Phil
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually, I'd say you seem to have been 'lost to followup' for quite some time. LOL!
Stalkers on board here, go back and read what terms are used - Lynn
[ In Reply To ..]
I said something below about answering only to 1 person and I meant the man up above and got the response, who Dr. Phil? Check out who posted that. Another time the stalker said you hit the nail on the head, twice this was said. Check out who this stalker really is. You are to be pitied. One only has to read these to find out what is really going on. Off to shop. Everyone have a good day!
Again, time for those meds, Lynn!! - Dr. Phil
[ In Reply To ..]
Really, please, for everyone's sake. You are SCARING us. We feel you could do something not adviseable very, very soon, based on your remarks. We are all your friends here, Lynn. Put down that .45 and back away from the keyboard!
this has been quite the - chat about typists
[ In Reply To ..]
You shouldn't judge a person by comments posted.

I'm the poster who made the comment about the steno pool. I'm not uneducated nor sour about my job. I have a BA in business management, which I gave up to stay at home and raise my children. I've never second guessed that decision. If I'd stayed where I was, I'd missed out on way too much of my children's lives.

I too started this doing in-house. I never had any "official" training but they didn't care. My job entailed much more than being a transcriptionist. I did coding, billing, filing and the like. However, once I became an at-home transcriptionist, my job entailed nothing but report typing and editing.

This is why I consider myself a typist these days. I don't have any other job duties but that. Now with the VR/ASR becoming so popular, I'm sure in time I will consider myself solely as an editor. I'm quite sure the MTSOs will too. The less skilled our jobs become, the lower the pay is going to be.

While being a medical transcriptionist used to demand a very good wage, that was long ago and we have to live in the here and now.

What do you tell other people when they ask what you do? When I say I'm a medical transcriptionist, the general response is usually something like "....so you type...."

Thanks for your kind words. I actually feel sorry for Lynn. - Debbie
[ In Reply To ..]
Some MTs become so isolated in their homes from everyone else (hey, it is the nature of the job, after all), that I truly believe some of them begin to lose any grounding in REALITY (Yep, that bugaboo word again). I tell you, in this 'profession' I have run into the strangest people. Really makes you wonder if it is actually healthy working at home.
I agree to this, there are "experienced" MTs out there,..sm - .
[ In Reply To ..]
or at home, who really have the delusion that they know more than the actual doctor who is dictating that stuff for them to transcribe. They say, "The doctor is stupid, I know more than he does!" I call this "a swelled head."
Bottom line: We type what a doctor is dictating.

Darling Debbie - a typist

[ In Reply To ..]
You're missing a point made by many. We take our jobs seriously, really we do. We do a good job and listen carefully to management's constant changes and try really, really hard to keep up, but THIS INDUSTRY DOES TREAT US LIKE TYPISTS.

"professionals" deserve competative wages. "typists" are paid minimum wage. I can only speak for myself. I barely make above minimum wage.

No, I don't type verbatim, I give QUALITY work and get paid entry level DATA ENTRY pay in return.

It IS the nature of this industry.

"Back in the day," I made more money, got more respect, - Zircon

[ In Reply To ..]
... and more PTO, when I was a "just a typist". Now, as an at-home MT, it's far worse: I'm just a faceless, nameless, underpaid cog in the wheel.

The folks that take HIPAA, healthcare quality, and health care reform so seriously (regardless of which side of the fence they're on about the latter), are just kidding themselves if they think the current state of affairs in the transcription of their medical records isn't going to come back and bite them HARD someday.

"HIPAAcracy" in action.
zircon - wild n crazy
[ In Reply To ..]
Right on! (oh *sigh*... remember the good old days?) I'm going to jump of a bridge now... yuk yuk
yes, the "good, old" days were much easier in many ways...sm - .
[ In Reply To ..]
one could even "transcribe" or "type," call it whatever you want, and become an MT without an MT training or certificate, and there was almost NO time pressure due to hourly pay.
sm - oh yeah
[ In Reply To ..]
I forgot hourly pay! It has been soooo long. I used to make a base (brace yourselves...) of 22.50 an hour! ((i've been told some old MTs got even more!)) Then got a line incentive to boot! Remember when MTs used to make as much as RNs? I am old...
Talk about a big salary in years past - L
[ In Reply To ..]
I went to Greece back in the 80s and at that time made more than the president of the country. Is that unbelievable?

I did not have all the perks now that he got including home, vehicles, maid service and the like but totally shocked when I found that out.

Everyone there has to work, no exceptions. Women as well as men have to serve in the military service also.

You betcha - This is a job a child can do.

[ In Reply To ..]
Let's see. Today I typed a chest x-ray. Multifocal pneumonia. And the distracted radiology dictated: "The lungs are clear" just before the impression - (1 life saved). Arteriogram with aneurysm in September was a left and right error. Caught that one too. Also caught had the doctor dictate an abnormality in the left lobe of the thyroid gland in an impression for CT of the abdomen and the pelvis.

This job is not easy and for you to think I deserve to be paid less than the UPS driver is absurd. Indians are paid 3 to 4 cpl but that is in a country where 1 cpl is probably minimum wage. Their overheard in Mumbai is probably 5 dollars a day tops. They don't have to pay 500 a month for insurance coverage that has a 1,000 deductible as well.

betcha - gummy

[ In Reply To ..]
OH SNAPS! you said it sistah!

you don't have to - go to school

[ In Reply To ..]
for years to learn this job. A good web search engine and a few sample format books will help you out just as much.

We must face the facts here that we are just "typists" in the whole scheme of things. We don't diagnose or treat, we just type what the doc says. I know we all try our best to decipher and create the best medical records we can for each patient. However, that's all there is to our job. We type and proof to create that perfect report. That is the summary of our job description.

We aren't paid a high wage and never will be until the medical profession regards us as professionals. If that happens, then maybe we'll get the recognition we deserve and the pay to go along with it.

Id venture a guess most of them don't pay US taxes, - either. And HIPAA means squat to them. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

No, I don't consider myself a professional. - Never have.

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been at this for nearly 22 years. I consider myself a transcriptionist. And how else can you define that but as a typist? Someone says something, someone else types it into a printable format. A professional, according to what some would consider to be an old-fashioned definition, is someone whose line of work requires a 4-year degree, a formal certification, and continuing education and peer review... think, doctors, lawyers, CPA, those sorts of endeavors. Even when I started 22 years ago, after quickly discovering that this is not an easy job to learn, I still did not think as highly of the job as other MTs seemed to. I went to AAMT chapter meetings back then, which to me seemed more like pep rallies. "We're professionals! We make life and death decisions!" Rah rah rah. I thought that attitude was silly then. It seems sillier now. Do we make life and death decisions? No. That's for the folks who have actual patient contact. I've discussed this with doctors that I know, and I've been told many times that any doctor who makes a decision based on what he/she sees typed on one report is basically an idiot. They do know how to read, you know. They also spot the glaring mistakes, and even the smaller ones. And if they don't, the responsibility is on them. Transcriptionists don't get sued. (Though there was a brief time years ago when we were encouraged to buy "malpractice" insurance in case we were.)

In all honestly, I also thought I was overpaid back in the heyday. I'm fast and was able to make $32 an hour being paid by the page and working on a typewriter. When rates started to drop, I knew the pendulum was swinging to something fairer, though I do believe the pendulum has swung too far. But that's the nature of these things.

Maybe I have a different perspective, since my early years in the workforce were career focused. I earned a BBA back in 1984, and for four years I worked in an office doing all sorts of interesting things, wearing a suit to work, having lunch in downtown restaurants, stressed to the max, and no time for myself. I was a bona fide Yuppie. I married, had a child and instantly decided that I wanted no part of a career. I dropped out of the executive fast-track and became a transcriptionist. I'm now the stereotypical work-at-home mother. I chose to do this job because I could work from home, and I basically enjoyed it. I also could afford to do it because my husband brings in enough for us to live comfortably on one income. (He's a professional.) For many years I worked part-time for "extra" money. I now work full-time for what I once made part-time. I'm not happy about that. I'm actively looking for some other line of work now that my children are grown.

In response to another question you posted here about the level of effort being put into this job. I'll be honest. With the lowered compensation, I've lowered my effort. I no longer spend a long time looking up blanks. If I don't get it after listening to it a few times or doing a quick search, I leave a blank and move on. If the client wants verbatim, that's what they get. If I'm then told to type blah blah blah when he says nit nit nit (we must work for the same MTSO), I try to remember, but honestly that burns my wick. I get those emails only on my secondary account, which I don't go to very often. So it hasn't been an issue for me. Were it my primary account, I suspect I would probably kick up a fuss about it and would either end up quitting or getting fired. I don't know.

You asked. That's my honest opinion. I'm a typist and always have been.

I'm smiling and I don't know why - MTTX

[ In Reply To ..]
Your post IS so honest. I also used to think that I was being overpaid. I made more than my supervisor back in the heyday too. The suits definitely took notice - what?! a transcriptionist with no real education making how much?! Back then, transcriptionists were developed through on-the-job training, period. Before I get flamed, I'm in no way saying we deserve our present day situation - far from it!

pro - fuzzy wuzzy

[ In Reply To ..]
What an honest, detailed answer. I agree with you in your last paragraph, ...lowered compensation, lowered effort too.

I have also been in this line of work for 20+ years, and only since working with the "at home" MTSOs have I been reduced to a faceless number, one of apparently thousands. I have not had even a PHONE CALL from anyone in the past year. I hardly EVER check my e-mails or feedback any more either! Yet, I guess it's not a big deal, 'cause they don't call, haven't complained. Hmmm. How invisible am I right?

It is very, very hard to give that 1000% to companies you constantly poop on you, reduce your pay, take away benefits, job security and your dignity.

Similar Messages:

It's Disgraceful That MModal Hasn't Made A Public Statement
Mar 08, 2014

This is an absolute disgrace.  Not just out of courtesy to the employees that break their back to earn the money they've mismanaged, but also as a courtesy to their clients who pump money into their overly fattened wallets.  What kind of a company allows an entire day to fly by on the heels of a bankruptcy announcement in the press and doesn't make a statement?  Do they honestly believe we don't know this is happening?  Surely they must know their employees a ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

I-Pay Statements
Jan 21, 2010

When can we see our paystubs in I-Pay?? ...

Non-production Pay Statements??
Jun 11, 2015

I know this is a longshot and I know no-one likes to get or receive email through this forum, but I thought it was worth a try at least.  I am filing a wage claim for non-production pay and was wondering if anyone would give me a statement estimating how much time you spend on non-productive, unpaid activities like Fiesa and email each day.  ...

ADP Portal--trouble Viewing Pay Statements
Jan 26, 2013

Is anyone having trouble viewing the pay statements for 2013?  Mine comes up as a blank screen and there is no way to contact these people on the Web site that I can see. ...

Scan Your ADP Statements Ladies. I Am Shorted A Couple Hundred.
Mar 25, 2010

I have a call in with a ticket open.  Grrr.  This statement shows a base rate as well as an MT rate. What is that all about?  I am paid per report with radiology and they show the number of jobs transcribed at the base rate instead of the MT rate, which is considerable lower!  WTF. ...

See Statement...
Oct 17, 2010

A s/l perineophin phenomenon observed in the course of a chronic lymphoproliferative condition, specificly chronic lymphocytic leukemia were also discussed.  C64ED479-637D-72C5-8E5C-49991D37A20F 1.02.28 ...

ADP Paycheck Statement
Dec 01, 2012

As an ex-Transcender/now Nuance employee (ugh!), we used to be able to see what our paycheck would be two days in advance by logging onto ADP and checking our "pay statements" from the home page. On the "new" ADP per Nuance, it seems that is not available any more.  Has anyone had any luck seeing their pay statements on the new downloaded site or know where to go? Thanks! ...

Re: Babbletype CEO Statement
Apr 30, 2013

As a wise man once said, 'don't get in a pissing match with a skunk.' ...

I Am So Sick Of This Particular Statement In All CPs.
Dec 12, 2013

" WT SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE Please refer to the WT Specific Instructions section of the client profile." And 99% of the time there are no specific instructions. Just put the specific instructions in that space! ...

Profit And Loss Statement
Jun 13, 2010

i am an at home transcriptionist and have been for 23 years.  I am trying to do a home loan modification and I need a profit and loss statement.  Does anyone have a sample report pertaining specifically to being an at-home independent contractor?  My tax man says he doesn't know how to do one, although he does the Schedule C for me on my taxes.  Any suggestions/samples?   Thank you! ...

Breast Exam - Please See Statement
Nov 30, 2011

I don't get a lot female exams and not sure of this breast exam statement.  Please help.  Thanks. s/l tail of the breast tissue is easily palpable and full ...

Found This Statement In The SEC Filings.
Dec 07, 2012

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-6ARM1D/2206687409x0xS1441567-12-6/1441567/filing.pdf Additionally, our expanding footprint in India has enabled us to increase our offshore production from 28% of our volume to 47% over this same period. The financial impact of these measures has been an improvement in gross margins during this timeframe from 34% to 46%.   Employees       As of December 31, 2011, we had more than 12,000 employees across five cou ...

I Wonder If I Should Worry About This. ADP Pay Statement Says Transcend Svc.,
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not one of the former Transcend employees, my buyout was Encompass some time ago.   Is everybody else seeing the same on their pay statement at ADP when they click on the highlighted date under Pay Date? ...

AAPC Statement On ICD-10 Delay
Apr 03, 2014

Open Letter from CEO: ICD-10 Delay April 3, 2014 Thank you for your commitment to your profession and all you do to help AAPC advance the business of healthcare. I write to you as a follow up to the email we sent Monday night regarding Senate passage of HR 4302 and the delay in ICD-10. President Obama signed the bill into law Tuesday morning, officially shifting the deadline for ICD-10 compliance from October 1, 2014 to no earlier than October 1, 2015. AAPC remains dedicated to helping the in ...

I Need To Print A Pay Statement But Can't View
Feb 11, 2015

to contact regarding this?  Do we need to be in a specific browser in order to view/print?  I tried in IE and Firefox Mozilla, and when I click on the date I want to view/print, nothing happens.  ...

M-Modal Disclosure Statement Of ANY AND ALL INFORMATION ??
Mar 24, 2012

Was I the only person who had a problem with signing M-Modal's FULL DISCLOSURE agreement that they want you to sign when you start?  Giving them "carte blanche" to any and all information into your life??, which I obviously did not sign??? ...

Global Info Systems Deceiving On DoD Contract Statement And Others
Jan 23, 2014

The statement they posted earlier in MTStars about the Dept of Defense is incorrect.  DPTS won the contract.  Global is a "subcontractor" of DPTS.  Therefore, DPTS is 1 of 4 companies proven, not GIS.  Also, it shows on the website that the CEO is Indian and their other office is in India, so yes, it is OWNED by an Indian.  Also, they started out in the post stating "THEY" and "anonymous" then put "See you at the conference", etc.  Shows that you are the m ...

I Can See Now How Some MTs Have It Made. Sm
Apr 10, 2010

Well, I don't know if the pool our area was sent because of NJA is affecting that regions MTs, but I for one want to say thank you God for sending me some absolutely marvelous, clear and concise easy dictation!!!! Yes Virginia, there is an Easter bunny... (oh, I believe that is Santa Claus). Now I can see why some MTs on here never complain. All MT work, no ASR so far. I am in heaven. Too bad it won't last long, even though my regular primary was not that bad, I just never re ...

Someone Made
Oct 13, 2012

comment about only unions being able to organize a strike.  That just leaves everybody else powerless and without resource?  No. Leave, call in sick, take all day to do one report, send jobs through without editing, walk off, stop work.  Plan ahead for you next job, and that's a smart thing to do, obviously.  In the meantime, walk off anyways. Massive oppression requires massive action. Being ignored requires we do something loud to be heard. They have already hit us ...

To: I Made It Out.
Dec 12, 2014

Talk about kismet. I just happened to pop in for a minute and saw your post. I copied it and emailed it to myself. I then took your advice and did a search in my city. I have about 8 great-sounding possibilities to explore this weekend. Thank you so much. ...

ASR Lets Get Some Changes Made!
Mar 12, 2010

I just really want to encourage all of you to make note of things ASR is doing wrong and sending the info in either to support@ or to your CCM.  I have been sending things in and actually getting some changes made here and there.  If we all did it maybe we could help ourselves out at least a little bit. I'm talking about things like you have been correcting text forever and ASR still is not getting it, like on docs who say the same exact same thing every time and it still comes o ...

I Made A Mistake
May 18, 2010

I just got called by "the boss" about a mistake I made yesterday.  I feel horrible.  I am glad they called.  It was a good heads up for me.  They down played it but still I am feeling upset.  I know it will pass but it's made for a tough morning.  Kinda shakes my confidence.  Thanks for listening. ...

No $ To Be Made As An MT Anymore
Sep 03, 2010

Just thinking out load, so please bear with me.  I took the summer off to evaluate how I feel about restarting back to work into the MT field.  I have many bitter-sweet feelings.  Over 24 years ago I started in the MT industry and have done this working out of my home.  I have raised my kids basically alone working a job that I absolutely thrived and loved doing.  Now, it doesn't even pay us minimum wage for our Years of knowlege and skill sets we ha ...

Is This A Made-up Word?
Sep 22, 2010

I'm doing a hot nodes dissection, and the doc is using a word that sounds like MODERIFY.  Here's the sentence: Dr. Patterson performed specimen ____| QA MARKER: 358 |____ count, and this demonstrated the biopsy clip in the mass to be squarely centered within the biopsy specimen.   "The radiologist performed specimen _______ count, and this demonstrated the biopsy clip in the mass to be squarely centered within the biopsy specimen."   By the way, he has a delightful ...

Apparently I Am 100% ASR Now. I Made
Dec 07, 2010

$30 less today than when it has been mixed straight and ASR typing and it has been the longest day of my life.  I have eaten more, got up more.  I cannot sit still.  If this is supposed to be "easier" on us than typing, they are full of hooey.  ...

If You Don't Mind Me Asking What Is The Most And Least That You've Made?
Jan 12, 2011

I've worked at a hospital doing transcription and getting an hourly wage, and I've also done transcription at home.  At-home was not a good experience for me.  I about went bankrupt, but the good thing is that I have more experience now.  I'm trying to decide whether to go back to a hospital and get an hourly pay or work from home again...  Thanks for any input!  I appreciate it!  ...

New Word To Me Or Something Doc Made Up?
Feb 12, 2011

This may need further evaluation of the gastric outlet tract by endoscopic assisted s/l "contrast-a-tee". ...

Already Depressed And The Q Just Made My Day. NOT
Jul 11, 2011

I cannot take much more.  Those of you who don't have any compassion or feel the need to ever vent and just unload once in a while may stop reading now. I'm not writing to be bashed, stomped on, mashed, or otherwise abused and used more than the Q already does.  I catch this crap from them every day, I don't need to hear it from fellow MTs. We are all in this same rocking, sinking, Titanic together.  To make a very long story short here's the abbreviated vers ...

Best Made Up ASR Heading I Have Seen
May 05, 2013

Dictated problem list: Transcribed problem ...