A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance Nonsense - TM

Posted: Jun 20, 2011

I have followed MTstars for years, so I know that the majority of the negative company posts are chalked up to lazy/arrogant MTs who won't take anything not on a silver platter. This stuff is called WORK, people. Anyway, I just want to say I'm not one of those. I have worked hard and diligently in this profession for years, but I want to save some people the anguish and chest pain that Nuance has given me, so I'll share my story while keeping everyone involved protected.

I worked for Focus for 2 years when they were bought out by Nuance. Not only did Nuance raise the insurance premiums ($768 for spouse plus 1!?!?), instilled a bogus and unreachable incentive plan and fired constant QA and production bull crap into our colons, they up and fired my TL from Focus, saying she wasn’t doing her job, when we were the HIGHEST QUALITY team they had. TL got replaced with the operations manager (never worked production in her life, came from Medquist). She didn’t want to have to "take care" of the accounts, so she hired a slew of newbie MTs at all shifts at the new bs Nuance pay (remember all the Nuance ads a month or so ago?). Not only have the new MTs chewed up all the work, every report has to be done twice- once by MT, once by QA. Quality and TAT has plummeted.

Also, we don't have teams anymore. Instead of one group of girls taking care of their own accounts, we've been cross trained on 6 diff accounts. Have you ever tried to keep up with 6 account specs WHILE being on the clock WHILE having to make an hourly production WHILE being driven like cattle to whatever account has work at that moment? It's absolute madness. These guys don't even have basic management skills. I put in my 2 weeks and of course, got a call begging for me to stay. They offered me a shift that I would be "guaranteed" to have work and basically said they'd leave me alone. I withdrew my resignation 3 weeks ago. I regret it because it's back to the same ole cracking of the whip.

This is how Nuance is running their company now. If anyone is tempted to go with them, PLEASE heed my word and look elsewhere. They will offer you the WORLD but trust me, I know of at least 30 girls that have left Nuance and gone on to greener pastures. Upper management is crap. They're on salary and don't care if you can make a living or not. I've got set up with a new company and am quitting Nuance the second I get settled. Nuance is going to run itself into the ground if they keep on losing their well-established accounts and mistreating their MTs. I just hope that everyone can get out before they go under.

As for any MTs or QAs from Nuance wanting to tell me I'm full of crap and that their departments aren't like this at all, it's only time that this trickles to every crack of the company workforce.

WOW - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Why so condescending in your first paragraph. I know a lot of MLSs in your situation where they started at hospitals, got bought out by big MTOS company and are going through seeing their MLS coworkers being let go for no good reason, the companies given some BS that this is how it is done here. I do not see MLSs wanting things on a silver platter. We for the most part just want what we deserve. Instead of pay cuts, we want pay raises!!! Your paragraphs below the first one basically tell the story of many MLSs that had the same thing happen to them. I wish MLSs who visit this site could be more compassionate towards one another inset of judgmental to each of our circumstances, some losing houses, some losing benefits, some not knowing how they are going to feed their families on such low pay, etc.

RE - TM

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't mean to sound judgmental and I am sorry if you feel that I did. I just simply put a warning to MTs that were quick going to judge myself that I was not one of those cases. I have nothing but compassion for MTs as I am one myself.

Nuance - tahwyas

[ In Reply To ..]
We must work for 2 totallyy different companies. I have seen none of that and make a very good living, work when I am scheduled, call in and email when I can't and then make up my time. I've not been out of work once since I have been there. I'm not management, not a suit, but one of the hundreds doing editing. IMHO. Sugar beats vinegar any day.

RE - TM

[ In Reply To ..]
I am happy for you that you've been so successful at Nuance thus far. Whomever you're working under, stay there and hang on for dear life!

nuance - Carriejean

[ In Reply To ..]

Without going into too much detail, Nuance was a nightmare for me also, for the same reasons TM gave.
nuance - oregon MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with Nuance the nightmare. I am currently working for them M-F 12-6PM/ET and the ESL doctors are horrendous!! I am making zippo compared to what I did before. MOre accounts being added, more time being taken to figure out every facility's account specifics, more time trying to understand what the doctor is saying, etc. I am practically tearing my hair out not making any money here and looking on MT Daily every day for other jobs! I have 20+ years in the business also and it seems to be a dying business.

Question . . . - Beethoven

[ In Reply To ..]
When you say you know people that went onto greener pastures, any idea where they went? It seems to me all the MT companies suck, according to someone. I would love to know if there's one out there that doesn't.

They all suck. Remember what makes green pastures green. nm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Mine's pretty green - hmmm

[ In Reply To ..]
I left Nuance and now am with a company that I really love - small MTSO, great people who basically just let you type (yes, real TYPING, not speech wreck). Course I've only been there a couple of months and it could still be the "honeymoon period," but I am liking my work again.
I need greener patures or I am about to rob a bank - anotherMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I just accepted employment at Nuance, after having taking the rigorous testing. I am not a newbie, but someone who has been an MT for over 25 years. I am going to work part-time and also work part-time for another MTSO that is constantly bashed on this board.

I just read on the 'net where a man of 59 years of age robbed a bank of $1. Why, you may ask. Because he wants/needs health insurance and he knows he will get in jail. He worked for 17 years at Coca Cola and got laid off, then took another job as a trucker and lost that job. He now works part-time at a convenience store and has terrible back and leg problems because of the heavy lifting and such. I just want someone who is willing to send me an e-mail telling me of a decent place to work that pays more than 4 cpl for VR or 9 cpl for straight.

I am hoping some compassionate person here who has gone on to greener pastures hear's my plea. A couple of weeks ago I told people to email me if they wanted to know more about where I work. I just don't want to end up with yet another place with NO work half the time.
I think the only greener pasture is in another industry. - (Or else winning the Lottery!)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

RE - TM

[ In Reply To ..]
Some with the company I'm working with now, some to Softscript, others to smaller companies, MD2MD, places like that. If you want job security in this field, I say work directly with a local clinic or physician. At least you get some real face time with them and they ill (hopefully) value what you do.

To TM - I believe you.

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi, Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with what you said. It sadly seems that this is what the home working environment has come to over the last few years. I began 11 years ago at home and am a CMT with 30+ MT/QA work years. With the downhill events of the economy the last few years, they keep removing everything from the MT and seemingly not so much from themselves. I don't think the person sitting there with their feet on the desk figuring out how to cut more from us has that much of a problem paying their bills. Yet, they prefer a CMT (Hey we worked, studied and paid for that and have to do more work, studying and paying for continuing education and recertification. I do get a slightly higher wage for that, but I fear when the takeover company sends out their new job offer what it will say. This is a different company, but I think it may be better for me, but you just never know these days. They want more and more from us, but we get less and less in return. I really think they think we are THAT stupid. NOT FOLKS!

Demand respect - Weary

[ In Reply To ..]
The main objective for these companies is to make money, and if that means taking it from the MT, so be it. I'm not envious of Sean Carroll because he is a millionaire, just stop trying to make me envious of the Burger King crew.

They're not evil, just good at rationalizing what they do. I think we need to stand up for ourselves in a union so we have a voice and demand respect in this game, but its kind of difficult when we are isolated at home.

I work in a "right to work" state where you can be fired for even thinking about being represented by a union. Anything that scares the powers that be that much sounds interesting to me.

The union thing is just not going to happen. - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
MTs were talking about needing unions when I started in this business nearly 30 years ago. It didn't happen then, and it certainly isn't going to happen now.

Even if unionizing were a good idea (and that's a whole other discussion), there would have to be some reason for businesses to choose to hire unionized MTs as opposed to nonunionized. We are not SCARCE. Companies have an abundance of MTs between the US and overseas. Yeah, we can argue "but they're not all quality MTs," but companies only care that they're quality "enough" to get the reports out and keep the clients happy enough that they don't lose their clients.

Some unsolicited advice from an old-timer (me!): Please, if you're new to this business, if you're young or at all capable, if you have ANY energy or money to get out of this field, put your focus there. Things are NOT going to get better. The same discussions we were having years ago are the same ones we're having today, only things have become much WORSE. Focus your energy on getting yourself out of this field or at least enhancing your skills to where you have many options within this field. To me, staying in this field would mean looking into getting your education/credentials in RHIT, healthcare management, tumor board registry, whatever to give you more options. It's not necessarily a guarantee you still won't have a hard time, but it opens up some opportunities.
Lefty thoughts - Weary
[ In Reply To ..]
I hate to admit it, but I think you may be right in a lot of what you say.

We "workers" in this country would have to show the strength our grandfathers and great grandfathers had in forming unions from scratch and going up against powerful private interests, and I know I don't have the right stuff.

Whenever anyone asks me about medical transcription as a profession I encourage them to look elsewhere. I knew we were in trouble 20 years ago after asking about the possibility of cost-of-living raises and I was simply told to type faster. I typed faster and faster, and now I make a lot less money.

I sometimes think that our profession represents a money drain to the docs and hospitals for which they get nothing in return but more paperwork. They must document, but they hate it and resent having to pay for it. Maybe billing is where its at?
billing - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Be very careful, some of the Indian MT companies are now also advertising billing/coding. I considered coding a while back and see the writing possibly on the wall for that profession as well. I am thinking something that cannot be outsourced, such as nurse/physical therapist/occupational therapist (all needing a lot of education, but might as well get started), or x-ray tech, ultrasound tech, dialysis tech, lab tech. I know some are pursuing HIM degrees, but I think the monetary reward is not as great there, but heck I could be wrong, I was sure wrong about MT!

RE - TM

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I obtained my CMT about 5 years ago in hopes that it would open more opportunities for higher pay and more respect and distinguish me from the rest of the herd. Now most companies are preferring CMTs, not understanding the rigorous study and testing that goes along with it. They just expect us to produce until our fingers bleed like we're some type of cyborg. Many people whom I speak with outside of this field say they envy me because I get to work from home doing an "easy" job (we won't even get into how heated myself and I'm sure the rest of us feel when we hear that!), but there's really so much behind it. I feel like I'm trying to shovel water uphill. I'm currently also pursuing my BA, so hopefully I'll be out of MTing within the next 5 years. I really just do not feel that this career is going to end well for myself.

AMONG OTHER THINGS........................... - I think that anyone who has gotten their - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
CMT, should

A) Demand a higher pay scale.

B) When said demand is not met, the
CMT should be allowed to lapse. Even if the employer preferred MTs with AHDI's silly little scam-certification.

Puts a lot of pressure on both of them.

Similar Messages:

Fiesa Nonsense.
Jul 08, 2013

I keep getting these crazy "grammar misuse" on reports that are just plain wrong, some on post audits (one bringing my score to 97% and did not change the meaning of the sentence in any way), which really count towards accuracy.  I get them reversed, but it takes my time, time that I am not paid for.   Are the initials before ID# HBE and IH offshore?  If so, I resent being corrected on my excellent grammar by them.  Just venting really.  I have b ...

Book Of Style Nonsense?
Jun 21, 2012

I have been working in transcription for 31 years.  What is the deal with all this Book of Style nonsence?  Doctors don't care if a comma is in the right place or not, or if a drug is capitalized or now.  They just want the correct measurements, dosages, symptoms, body part, etc. typed in the correct document on the correct patient. You ask a doctor what the Book of Style is and they would probably just give you a dumb look.  Who is making money off of this?   It's just the crazi ...

Let This Latest Edition Of MM Nonsense Fuel Your Hate Fire.
Sep 10, 2013

I have never been more motivated to get away from this company.  Did you know there are other places to work?? I know - I forget that too sometimes!! When I tell the people in my life what happens to me at work, they are in disbelief.  "What company is this??!!" they say. "My God - what in the world - I would never let anyone keep me shackeled to my computer all day!!" said another. "So let me get this straight, when you 'run out of work,' you have to keep checking back...lik ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

I Know The Nuance Questions Are Getting Old, But Just One More, Does Nuance Pay Shift Differential F
Mar 09, 2012

that fall during the shift.  For example, if half of your hours fall in 3rd shift and half fall in 1st shift, do the 3rd shift hours pay more cpl?  Or, do all hours have to fall within the shift to qualify?  Thanks, Yet another sad Transcend employee... ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

"Consider Returning To Nuance" - Just Received Email From Nuance
Jun 27, 2014

Wow. Posted this on company board but wanted to post here as well - some of you may feel vindicated. LPn ...

Nuance OSI
Apr 14, 2011

Any thoughts on this merger???? ...

Web/Nuance Ad
Sep 15, 2011

Does anyone know why the ad says "No inquiries from overseas" when they obviously offshore the work?  Anyone reading that would incorrectly assume they do not offshore.  I was reading an article in the newspaper that a journalist was talking about a few days ago regarding the hospital outsourcing to the Web/Nuance, and the spokesperson for the hospital said in the article that the company only employs US MTs.  ...

Nuance -?
Oct 08, 2011

xx ...

Nuance PTO ?
Oct 23, 2011

The ad Nuance has up says increased PTO.  Anyone willing to tell me what it is now. Also information on their bonus program would be helpful.  Thank you. ...

WMX/NUANCE Here It Is......
Nov 04, 2011

....First send us an email with fabulous Nuance ins (bad news) because they had to announce that due to open season. However at the same time telling us that the new pay structure (probably more bad news) will be announced at a later date but will be effective Jan 1 2012. Good way to keep us hanging on while they are so behind with their horrid platform. Guess what Nuance/Nuisance, it will not work as your reputation has gone from bad to worse and we are now realizing that the We ...

NUANCE/WMX
Nov 18, 2011

What do Nuance MT's get for editing and transcribing per line.   Thanks ...

WMX/Nuance Changes
Dec 06, 2011

If Webmedx does away with or changes their recently advertised "PRODUCTION BASED INCENTIVE" bonus and adopts the Nuance quality based bonus then this change may be considered by quite a few WMX employees as yet another cut in pay. I’m sure that there are quite a few MT’s currently at WMX that have a high QA average and are earning $300-$400 (some even more) in production incentive pay each pay period, which equates to $600-$800 per month. As an example, acco ...

QA Nuance
Dec 28, 2011

Did anyone hear anything about changes for QA.  I heard there was a webinar today? ...

Nuance W2s?
Jan 20, 2012

Has Nuance/Alphastaff released W2s yet?  Quit mid-December, have no idea.  Thanks! ...

For Nuance QA.. Sm
Mar 09, 2012

Is there a specific QA staff?  I was under the impression that the team managers did most of the QA.  Is that correct?  Or how is the QA done?  Someone said below that QA is paid hourly; I was under the impression it was cpl.  Any info on QA structure for Nuance would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Does Nuance Have IC's
Mar 09, 2012

Does anyone know if Nuance hires IC's?  I could not find it anywhere.  It could be a solution for me if they do.  Thanx in advance. ...

Nuance Job
Mar 12, 2012

I have an interview this week with Nuance. Any advice on what to expect? I'm interviewing for an MT job and have been reading some posts on here about the company and it's not looking good. ...

Wmx/Nuance
Mar 12, 2012

Had our usual update this morning from my AM, one of the best IMO and the reason many of us stayed after Nuance took over. Then at 1:30 an e-mail that he is no longer with the company??? What is going on???  (DO) ...

Nuance Help!
Mar 13, 2012

Can anyone help me with instructions on how to create a new entry in the carbon copy? I am getting lots of dictations where I can't find that particular physician in the CC list and need to create a new one. I am new and need help. Thanks in advance! ...

Does Nuance Really Pay Everyone The Same Across The
Mar 17, 2012

Is this true? Because if so that means they dont take into consideration years of experience, opportunity for increase or nothing. Seems kind of hard to work for an obviously big and successful company that is only willing to pay their employees 0.41 cpl and thats it, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I mean they dont come off to be the type of company that "cant" afford to give increases in pay to their transcriptionist. I heard that if you work from 10pm to 6pm you can make 0.46 cpl, bet ...

Pay At Nuance
Apr 08, 2012

Anyone willing to share how much per line they make with VR or straight transcription? Or any information how the company is with raises? Thank you ...

Fed Up With Nuance
Apr 19, 2012

I received an incentive bonus this paycheck (for the first time ever). My QA score was 99.3%. So, I get an email today from my supervisor that my latest audit was only 98.2% and they are going to reaudit me in 2 weeks to see if my score is improving or if I need further disciplinary action. WTF? I've been with Nuance for 3 years and think it's time to jump ship. This company is messed up, and the QA is so inconsistent. ...

Nuance Down Too?
May 22, 2012

Nuance servers were down all day yesterday as well as Transcend servers?  Really?  We were told in an email it had nothing to do with Nuance.  That's quite a coincidence, don't ya think?  Oh gosh, I sure hope this doesn't indicate the way things are going to go in the future with Nuance.  Does this happen often there? ...

Nuance Pto??
May 22, 2012

In house just got outsourced to Nuance.  In our meeting, they said the PTO is 10 days total, which you have to use for holidays and sick time as well.  So, if you take all 6 holidays (if that is even possible), you get 4 days off a year?  Not even a week for vacation left over.  Someone asked if that changes with time of service and they said no, that will never go up.  ARE YOU KIDDING?  Is this what the rest of you get for PTO, or is this just something they have s ...

I <3 Nuance. . .
Aug 02, 2012

I have been with Nuance a few years.  I'm an MT.  I'm not the best MT out there, nor am I the worst.  I read the comments on these boards and my jaw is on the floor.  FYI, not everyone has the bad experiences that have been discussed on this site.  I can't account for the horrible things I hear people saying about Nuance, except to say if things are really that bad for you, maybe MT is not for you or Nuance is not a good fit for your career path. ...

Nuance QCs
Aug 06, 2012

I AM SO LIVID!  These QCs are unbelievable!  I used "and" instead of "the" and the QC marks me off for English misspelling/typo which is a 0.5 error instead of an English word misuse which is less at 0.25. Do you think "and" and "the" are typos?  I think not!  You see, this is evidence that they are being totally unfair and proof that they do not want anyone to make incentive!  This is my opinion!  Anything to bring your score down!  Man this pisses me off!&n ...

Qtn About Nuance Pay
Aug 08, 2012

I don't work for Nuance but have a question.  Somewhere on MTStars, I saw the amount they deduct from your pay if your QA percentage is low.  Please explain.  How much do they pay per line and how much do they deduct if you have low QA percentage?  Thanks so much in advance.  I have looked and looked but can't find the previous post.  ...

QC/QA Pay At Nuance
Aug 16, 2012

There is someone who claims to be a QC for Nuance and that they are only paid minimum wage for this position.  That is utter nonsense.  Why would any experienced MLS take a minimum wage job in the MT industry when you could make more than that on production easily.  If you are experienced enough to be in QC or QA then please don't lie to the rest of us and tell us that you only make minimum wage.   ...