A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Book of Style nonsense? - GAfruitcake

Posted: Jun 21, 2012

I have been working in transcription for 31 years.  What is the deal with all this Book of Style nonsence?  Doctors don't care if a comma is in the right place or not, or if a drug is capitalized or now.  They just want the correct measurements, dosages, symptoms, body part, etc. typed in the correct document on the correct patient. You ask a doctor what the Book of Style is and they would probably just give you a dumb look.  Who is making money off of this?   It's just the craziest thing I have ever heard of.

Who is making money from the BOS? - Pineapple

[ In Reply To ..]
Why, the AHDI, of course. Like everything else, it is all about the dough! $$$$$$

Doctors may not care, - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
But if you ever have to work for a big transcription company, they may care, and your bonuses will depend on how many times you get marked down for things like commas, capitalization, etc. I'm not saying you have to use the BOS to know those things, but if you don't know them, it is a useful tool.

useful tool?? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I really wonder how useful it is when they change things on a yearly basis, like how numbers are transcribed, where the commas are supposed to be placed, whether things should be abbreviated or written out, only so that one has to purchase the dang book every single year to keep up with these "changes" and has to spend between $80 and $100 to get it. They change these things purposely just so you have to buy the darned book. It is not worth a hill of beans or the paper it is written on, because many of these things are client specifications anyway, and quite subjective, at that. So in my eyes, it is only "useful" to the people who are publishing it, and that is all. JMO

BOS - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
I honestly have no idea how many times it's been released--mine is only a 3rd edition and doesn't seem to be very old at all. Do they release it on a yearly basis?
BOS - Dickens
[ In Reply To ..]
It looks to me like they've only ever released 3 versions, from what I can tell in the front of the book. Mine was released in 2008, before that 2005, and before that 2000.

Just my opinion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Although not much (if anything) can be said in defense of AHDI in its current state, I believe that the BOS has served a very fine purpose over the years. The value BOS is not, IMO, so much about placement of commas as it is about standardization of medical documentation. When I first became an MT (a loooong time ago), it was possible to see an obstetrical report describing a patient as "G-four, para III." Yeah, we all know what that means, but I think it's nice to have guidelines. I don't think it's burdensome to adhere to a style that's universally (?) accepted and recognized.

You're right that most doctors don't care and probably don't notice the difference. Still, a medical record is a legal document, and its transcription should be as precise as possible. In this regard, the BOS puts us "on the same page." It was the only worthwhile product of AAMT, IMO... and one edition was quite enough, thank you -- we don't need an upgraded version every 2 years.

Who cares about proper English grammar, proper punctuation, standardization... (; - SH

[ In Reply To ..]
...I do, for one. (;

The doctor may not care. Heck, the doctor may not care if you misspell "nonsense." (; But this is going into the patient's permanent medical record and *I* care.

"Still, a medical record is a legal document, and its transcription should be as precise as possible."

Hear, hear!

The Book of Style could definitely be cheaper. Right now I'm seeing the 3rd edition on Amazon.com for $67.09 new and from $46.46 used. But as far as changing things on a "yearly basis" and having to purchase the dang book "every single year..." not sure what you are talking about.

1st edition January 1995

2nd edition July 2002

3rd edition June 2008

bos - oldone

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't like BOS 3 any better than most people. I really liked BOS 2; however, I have been an MT for 39 years and I care if the patient's medical record is accurate. It IS a legal document. It IS someone's "story" of their health. Doctor's may seem like they don't care but if that record is ever called into account in a court of law, WE BETTER CARE.

BOS yearly BS? - Runamok

[ In Reply To ..]
I think the constant/yearly refining is a bit much and the high price of it is crazy! I mean, seriously?! The doctors and hospitals I have worked for want you to use it but then turn around and have their own rules so it essentially gets thrown out the window. I have found proper grammar, spelling and using their (hospital and/or doctor) guidelines has gotten me the best feedback and happy customers. It seems everyone wants something different and I don't know if I have had a job that was done totally based on BOS. Mine is about 3 years old and they are just too expensive, repetitive from prior ones and essentially don't offer anything beneficial. Just my opinion, of course. : )

The BOS is just a money waster. Everything you know - regarding - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
punctuation and grammar you learned in junior high and high school. THAT is the standard for writing, not the BOS. I would never ever use it - NEVER. I will not allow the BOS or any other "book" try to tell me where a comma, dash, semicolon or any other punctuation goes. It's b.s. Stedman's has all of the correct way to format dosages, numerical values, etc.

Maybe that is why the new point-and-click - systems are doing so

[ In Reply To ..]
well in clinics. Why pay a transcriptionist who doesn't care if puncuation or if medications are typed correctly when you can have a computer than can do the same thing for you.

I work in a clinic at the front desk and also do MT at home, and I can tell you the doctor I work for very much cares. We have a point-and-click system, and I have been reprimanded for typing "followup" instead of "follow-up" because in his words "it's just correct grammar." He didn't want that to show up on his report. Just because they don't call in to the MTSO every time you misplace a comma doesn't mean that they don't cringe when they proof the report.

It's nice to know - that some docs care

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, it's gratifying to know that some docs consider proper grammar and punctuation a reflection on themselves.

I used to work for a surgeon. When he fell behind in signing off reports, the MR Department would "black list" him and send all his charts up to his office on a gurney. Each place his signature was required was marked with a paperclip. He never looked at the transcribed report...he just signed on the blank line.

BOS versus MT - Runamok

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think you can base using correct grammar and spelling of medications, etc. by perusing the BOS. That's a good MT with experience, knowledge, education and care of what she/he puts into their work. Just my opinion.

Similar Messages:

BOS - New Book Of Style?
Jul 16, 2012

Anyone know when they are coming out with a new Book of Style?  I am afraid to buy the 3rd edition since it is from 2008.  Thanks. ...

Anybody NOT Using 3rd Book Of Style?
May 04, 2014

Please tell where you work so I can apply there -- seriously -- sick of ridiculous QA. ...

How Many MTs Use The Book Of Style?
Nov 07, 2014

How many MTs use the Book of Style?  Am I the only one who thinks this is a total rip off just like dues to the former AAMT were?  Is not this self promotion to enrich oneself three times now and passing this propaganda off to MTSOs as the "industry standard?" I know I sure did not get a vote as to what is and what is not this so-called "industry standard" and have not used that book in years!  Poverty wages are now the "industry standard."  Who else is fed up with this load of BS? ...

AHDI BOOK OF STYLE
Aug 12, 2010

Can anyone tell me any of the new changes in the AHDI book of style. ? ...

Book Of Style Useless
Mar 16, 2011

It would seem that the AAMT/AHDI just look for ways to make money on their ole' book of style.  Changing from one term in one book, to using it differently in a second, and now the third is different from that.  What is the fourth going to do, go back to the first use.  Throw them all out. They don't know what they are doing.  Their transcription bible is useless to train from, and they charge a whole lot of money for useless. (Just a little frustrated, wouldn' ...

Book Of Style Version 3
Nov 02, 2011

I have a question for those working for a hospital as an employee in-house or at home.  I work at home for a hospital and we were told we must buy our own book of style version 3 but still expected to maintain high QA status.  There is only 1 book in-house for all to share.  I would think that the company should invest in buying each employee this book to improve production and it would be a positive move.  They refuse to do this.  I brought it up in a meeting and told t ...

Keyboard/Book Of Style
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for the input. ...

Changes In Book Of Style, 3rd Edition
Mar 05, 2014

Since I was terminated February 11, I have been reviewing some things in case I need to apply for some MT job in the future.  When I worked for M-Modal, I was supplied with Book of Style, 2nd edition.  I now have a copy of the 3rd edition, and they say some things are changed. They say changes have been made include dropping the period after courtesy titles like Dr. and Mr.  I always typed Dr. with a period in the report.  If it said patient was to follow up with Dr. Sm ...

Book Of Style - What Parts Are The Most Necessary To Bone Up On?
Jun 06, 2011

I just purchased the Book of Style.  II realize companies want you to be familiar with it, but what parts are the most necessary to bone up on?  It is a huge book.  Thaniks. ...

Book Of Style - What Is The Actual Title
Jun 08, 2011

What is the actual title of the Book of Style?  I see The Book of Style for Medical Transcription, 3rd Edition - Paperback (June 15, 2008) by Lea M. Sims and John H. Dirckx and I also see The AAMT Book of Style: A Searchable Medical Transcription Style Guide (2nd Edition) - CD-ROM (July 21, 2005) by American Association for Medical Transcription (AAMT). One is by AAMT and one is not - I am assuming the AAMT is the Book of Style everyone refers to?  I am buying this for someone and want to ...

AHDI Book Of Style 3rd Edition
Nov 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the AHDI the cheapest, or at least under 70 bucks? Thanks! ...

AHDI Book Of Style Needed
Nov 13, 2013

I am desperately looking for 3rd edition AHDI Book of Style. I posted here versus classified hoping it would be sooner by someone who had one to get rid of quicker. Thanks in advance. ...

Copy Of The Book Of Style On Enrich?
Jan 20, 2015

Is there a copy of the book of style on Enrich? I cannot for the life of me find it. I got dinged for an omission error because at the end of a list of allergies the dictator stated "parenthesis, details of allergies are not known, end parenthesis" and since it was a stand alone sentence, I left the parentheses off.  The transcription guidelines on Enrich for parenthesis say to refer to the book of style, but I can't find a copy. Thanks! ...

Where Can I Find The Book Of Style/MM Guidelines?
May 12, 2015

x ...

Book Of Style - Word Alcohol Always Used Instead Of Ethanol?
Mar 10, 2010

Is the   What is the Book of Style preference? ...

Does M*Modal Follow AHDI Book Of Style?
Feb 08, 2013

I ask this because in my pre-employment test with M*Modal, I got dictations where they dictated the wrong punctuation and I edited it according to the AHDI Book of Style, which is one of my chief references when transcribing. I got a reply back from M*Modal saying that my results of their pre-employment test "did not match their criteria", whatever that means. I got the same reply from Acusis, another company that rejected me on the grounds that my results "didn't make the cut."  Was ...

AAMT Book Of Style On MQCentral Maze??
Mar 19, 2014

Sent a new computer and I can't find AAMT Book of Style in MQCentral.  Does anyone happen to know where it is in the maze??? ...

AAMT Book Of Style To Be The Set Rules For Our Transcription Department?
Jan 19, 2010

I am currently looking for a new online job.  I have been doing medical transcription for nine years now but work for a small hospital.  I do not currently have, nor does my hospital require, the AAMT book of style to be the set rules for our transcription department.  We still use q.h.s. etc.  I recently had a job interview but blew it because the company requires their MTs to know the latest AAMT book of style front and back.  Is this a big deal to know this book word for word?  Wonderin ...

AAMT Book Of Style - Medications Numbered And Listed?
Apr 07, 2010

According to AAMT Book of style, are medications numbered and listed?? ...

Book Of Style 3rd Edition Versus 2nd Edition Question
May 25, 2014

I have a second edition versus a third edition Book of Style, which I cannot afford right now to buy.  Can someone help me and tell me what it saysabout putting meals/food.  This is a verbatim account and I typed what dr said but QA changed meals to food.  She left message  per BOS page 217.  This accouint I am is verbatim on samples from hospital that I noted headings were different from every MT.  I never what is right or wrong until it comes back from QA and the ...

Nuance Nonsense
Jun 20, 2011

I have followed MTstars for years, so I know that the majority of the negative company posts are chalked up to lazy/arrogant MTs who won't take anything not on a silver platter. This stuff is called WORK, people. Anyway, I just want to say I'm not one of those. I have worked hard and diligently in this profession for years, but I want to save some people the anguish and chest pain that Nuance has given me, so I'll share my story while keeping everyone involved protected. I worked ...

Fiesa Nonsense.
Jul 08, 2013

I keep getting these crazy "grammar misuse" on reports that are just plain wrong, some on post audits (one bringing my score to 97% and did not change the meaning of the sentence in any way), which really count towards accuracy.  I get them reversed, but it takes my time, time that I am not paid for.   Are the initials before ID# HBE and IH offshore?  If so, I resent being corrected on my excellent grammar by them.  Just venting really.  I have b ...

Let This Latest Edition Of MM Nonsense Fuel Your Hate Fire.
Sep 10, 2013

I have never been more motivated to get away from this company.  Did you know there are other places to work?? I know - I forget that too sometimes!! When I tell the people in my life what happens to me at work, they are in disbelief.  "What company is this??!!" they say. "My God - what in the world - I would never let anyone keep me shackeled to my computer all day!!" said another. "So let me get this straight, when you 'run out of work,' you have to keep checking back...lik ...

ASR Style
Apr 18, 2010

Can anybody here explain to me why, when a dictator wants a slash between 2 words, ASR decides to put a space after the first word, then the slash, then a space before the second word?  We don't have enough things to pick and poke at here?  I'm afraid to give an example, you know, the privacy thing.  Let's just use generic.  ASR may be with this particular program, but it might put and / or hypertension instead of and/or hypertension.  It also li ...

Preferred Style?
Oct 18, 2010

Hello, I am wondering what is the preferred style when typing ranges for meds, as in every '1-2 ' or '1 to 2' or 'one to two' hours.   Thanks! ...

Anybody Else Get The New Style Guide?
Nov 02, 2011

Apparently this one is to be followed along with the BOS2, DQS Standards and Guildelines, and the CP.  I just don't understand why we can't use just one.  Most of the things in it are the same, but others are the opposite of what I've been taught and what the BOS2 says (for example, it is now okay to start a sentence with a number).  They at least explained what qualified verbatim is. ...

Should I Buy 2nd Or 3rd Edition Of AAMT Bk Of Style?
Nov 24, 2009

Do different medical transcription companies prefer 2nd or 3rd Book of Style? Seems as if I could buy a used 2nd edition from a website such as Amazaon cheaper than the 3rd edition, but I don't want to buy an edition that is not used by medical transcription companies. Your comments, please?  TIA- Jane ...

Question: Spine Style
Dec 12, 2011

For whatever reason, this information has just decided to take a vacation from my brain! When the doctor talks about "bilateral facet arthropathy at L4-5" …… should I make it "L4-L5"?   Thanks! ...

Letter Of Resignation - VR Style.
Jul 09, 2013

This was just too funny not to share!  :) To Wombs it May Concerta: I would like to deworm you cat eye am resounding from my apposition from the nuisance Company effective repeatedly. Thank you for the rapport of tougher impunity that you improvised me during my torture with your company.  If I can be of any resistance during this opposition, please field free 2 fret me know.   I would be graduate to dismiss you any day I can. ...

Style Question: Dr.s Bell And Reynolds
Feb 10, 2010

how would you type this:   ...refer to Dr.'s Bell and Reynolds ...refer to Dr.s Bell and Reynolds ...refer to Dr. Bell and Reynolds. Where does the plural go? make sense...     ...