A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I've tested for MedQuist, Webmedx and Amphion and - sm - anon

Posted: Feb 16, 2011

I've failed each test.  I actually passed the first set of tests for Webmedx, but then they gave me a VR test, and I've never done that before, so I failed.  I even got turned down at a local hospital.  I've been out of the field for the past 2 years taking care of my baby, so I'm very rusty right now.  I used to be a very good transcriptionist.  I've only worked from home once before.  The rest of my time has been spent working at a hospital.  I've done lots of research on here about different companies, but it seems like a lot of it is negative towards everywhere, so I'm afraid to test anywhere else.  From the different posts that I've read on here it sounds like I'd be better off just to get out of this profession altogether.  I don't know where to turn.  Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated?  Thank you.   

My thoughts. sm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
First, I don't think working at home as an MT is the best place for a new MT. As a former instructor, I think working at home is really best for those who have at least 5 years of recent acute care experience. You didn't say that you're a new MT, but my guess is you don't have 5 years of large-hospital, acute care experience.

Working in a hospital (if you can find such a position anymore--they're outsourcing to MT companies more and more) is usually a better option til you're a seasoned MT. You might be able to get something in a doctor's office, but there's danger that will also limit you to clinic transcription and not allow you to grow to master acute care MT.

I agree with your assessment that it's better to get out of the field altogether. In my opinion, MT didn't just turn into a rotten field in the last few years. Fifteen years ago the complaints were similar to what's here today. However, things have only gotten worse with the advent of speech recognition.

When the economy tanked recently, it only made the MT companies more bold about treating their employees poorly.

If you can do something else or train for something else, I think that's the way to go. Whatever the case, don't let yourself reach middle age and be asking these same questions or you'll likely find yourself stuck in this field like many of us.

Listen to this wise MT! - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
xxx

Agree mostly with a very valuable post, but - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
we need to keep in mind that everything that's been happening in our field has also been happening all over, especially across the spectrum in clerical work. You name it.

Disappearing jobs as workers are displaced by technology. Yes, SR out there too. And a whole LOT of other stuff.

Lowering economic status as incomes don't keep up with inflation. The norm for middle and lower-pay workers. People are falling out of the middle-class even as they work away earnestly in the same cubicle they've occupied for years. Our incomes, held down, have failed to keep up with inflation for some 30 years now. The housing bubble was just a smoke screen making many of us feel we were doing okay when we were not.

Offshoring. Everywhere possible. Whole companies moving.

Lack of raises. See above. Widespread at this level. Want them, move up into a professional-level job tier.

Layoffs. Millions of them. Often far more frequent, larger, longer, and eventually becoming permanent than in the medical field.

For those developing premature scowl lines and hypertension over this issue, lots of foreign-born bosses and coworkers practically everywhere you go. And if you're caught complaining about them you get fired.

What else are we unhappy about? "Uncaring" companies caring even less when one ad will bring 100 applications? Typical.

Skyrocketing healthcare costs. Everywhere but some civil service.

Anon, I'm tipping both ways on guessing whether you should stay in for a while and see what happens or head straight for a very carefully thought out, wonderful, exciting new line of work. Either way, if you were my daughter I'd definitely want you back in college preparing yourself for a much broader range of jobs, preferably in the level that's still getting raises. Or maybe as a plumber if college was repellent. Most of us making good money in this very narrow line of work can make that good money at this and nothing else.

In the meantime, you said you were good, which means you can be good again in short order (head up, chest out :). Whether capitalizing on a money-making skill in hand at this point is better, or moving on is better--or maybe both as you prepare to move on to something even better--at least this option is open. A LOT of people would be glad to be in your position.

Completely agree. Wise words. - Tina Tuna

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Actually I have 6 years of acute care experience and - sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
2 years of clinic experience, along with 1 1/2 years of at-home experience. It's just that these past 2 years of not working have really hurt me. I have an Associate's Degree to fall back on thank goodness, but I really wanted to work from home and be with my son. This field has really changed since I worked from home last time (2005-2006). Wow is all I can say! I've been considering going back to my old employer (OSi) because I really liked them, but I heard they're with Nuance now, and haven't heard good things about that, so I don't know what to do... Thanks for your info.

Similar Messages:

MedQuist - Tested/How Long Before I Get Results??
Jan 26, 2011

I had applied last year and got called very recently to test. How long until I get good/bad news?? ...

Amphion Versus MedQuist? Any Input?
Oct 05, 2010

Not too excited about either one, but I need a job.  Any info appreciated.  TIA ...

Does WebMedX, Amphion Or TransTech Have Decent Insurance?sm
Feb 06, 2011

Just curious.  I'm thinking about applying with them.  I have to have good insurance, and hopefully not real expensive.  Thanks!  ...

Webmedx Accts To Medquist
Sep 02, 2010

I think it is a shame that the accounts lost were both to Medquist - the company that screwed the MTs with line counting and pay and screwed its customers by cheating them out of millions of dollars (see Kaiser settlement of $2 million dollars last week).  These accounts are going off shore with lesser skilled labor and quality.   What is ironic is that while MedQuist continues to shrink in revenue growth from quarter to quarter, they will still pick off a few accounts from hospitals ...

Interviewing For Both Webmedx And Medquist???
Oct 23, 2010

Logged on and saw a recent post from someone saying they have an upcoming interview with Webmedx and Medquist and are wondering which is the best company.  My jaw just dropped.  Didn't Webmedx just lay off MTs?  Do I not read post after post about no work at Webmedx?  Whats up with that?  I recently joined Softscript and am so glad I did.  Plenty of work, nice people who actually treat you like a person and not just a number...did I mention plenty of ...

Webmedx And MedQuist Benefits Questions..
Jul 28, 2011

hi all,  I am torn between WMX and MedQuist.  Can you tell me: Cost of Medical per pay (or month) for each level: Single / Employee-Spouse / Employee-Child / Family “In-area” vs. “Out-of-area”…..any difference in price? Deductible How long to wait before they kick in? I just want to make the right choice!  Thanks. ...

Left Medquist (M*Modal) To Work For Webmedx (Nuance). Now Thinking Of Going Back. Sm
Nov 02, 2012

Is anyone in the same boat?  I am seriously contemplating it because I can't afford my medications, groceries, rent, bills, living, etc. anymore. ...

Has Anyone Tested With AHD?
Feb 03, 2014

Can anyone tell me the process with this company on testing? What is the test like? How long before you hear back from them.  Do they let you know either way whether you have the job or not? ...

Anyone Tested With MXSecure?
Nov 14, 2010

I recently saw a job ad for this company and am considering testing for a job.  The job ad does not specifically state their equipment requirements.  I went to their company web site to try to find out, but I can't find any place where they list whether you need a footpedal to take the test.  I feel like a bonehead because I'm sure I must be missing it somewhere.  I did find where they list some hardware and internet requirements and it just says you need speakers a ...

Has Anyone Tested For Alltype?
Apr 23, 2011

Has anyone tested for Alltype? I got to test with editing and they sent me 4 tests to edit, but the catch was, these were not voice files. I just had to edit what I saw. I found it very difficult to edit without the voice. ...

Tested With Execuscribe
Jun 06, 2011

I passed the test with a 98% but I did not get the job because of my experience level. That really angers me. They told me that they would keep my resume on file. How am I supposed to get a job? ...

Has Anyone Here Tested For E-MT Positions?
Mar 02, 2012

I just finished the testing -- all transcription of reports from new facility.  It was probably average compared to other companies.  They seem to focus on OP reports which were not too terribly difficult.  They seem very nice so far.   ...

Anyone Tested With Documed?
Apr 27, 2012

Has anyone tested with Documed?  If so, what did you think?  ...

Tested For Accentus
May 09, 2012

Hey guys, I just got done testing with Accentus and I've been searching the archives on here for some info that I am not able to find.  Do they provide you a computer or do you use your own?  Thanks in advance for any and all responses. ...

Tested And Got An Eye Opener
Dec 04, 2012

I tested last week and got such bad dictation I could not believe it. I tried to transcribe it as if I was getting paid the usual 8 CPL and realized it would take more time to complete it and I would be making zero money. Sloppy H&P with a heavy accent, whispering AND loud background noise; a coronary catheterization dictation that I commend an MT on even completing that I was supposed to edit. I sent the test back anyway and got an email saying I didn't pass the minimum, whatever tha ...

Has Anyone Ever Tested With Acusis
Jan 28, 2014

Has anyone ever tested with acusis and got an email to look over the scheduling and pay and had their computer tested by them and never heard from them again?  I was assuming I was getting hired, but I guess I shouldn't assume anything anymore.  Once they find out I have bad credit (which I think is what happened), they don't email again. ...

Any One Tested And Passed
Apr 18, 2014

from recent ad? Any action after that? Thanks.   ...

NEMT Anyone Tested
Feb 15, 2015

Has anyone tested for NEMT?  If so, what did you think?  Thanks! ...

Anyone Tested For Keystrokes?
Jun 11, 2015

Has anyone tested for Keystrokes?  If so, can you tell me how long before you hear from anyone regarding testing, interview, etc.?  Thank you! ...

I Tested With Synernet And Did Great
May 13, 2010

I tested with Synernet and did great (I thought). That was 2 days ago and I have not heard a thing. Should I e-mail again or just "let it be"? ...

Has Anyone Else Tested For Medscribe In Florida
Jul 20, 2010

I tested for them on Saturday and received an email shortly thereafter asking me to contact Monday to go over what positions they have.  I called first thing Monday a.m., left a message and have called back numerous times and can't get anyone to call me back or to answer.  Anyone else have any luck with them?  TIA ...

Anyone Ever Tested Or Worked For Inscribe?
Aug 11, 2011

Has anyone ever tested or worked for Inscribe? ...

Applied And Tested For M*Modal
Mar 06, 2012

My question is this?  What is everyone's issue really?  I see a lot of complaining but I have found that in this industry if you do your work and stick to your schedule you make plenty of money.  In addition, I see complaints regarding not getting answers to questions, etc.  Can you not get information from account specs and research?  Again, this is an industry where you have to do some leg work to get the job done 90% of the time (most companies do not have team l ...

Has Anyone Here Tested For IMedX? I Am Wondering
Sep 26, 2012

if there is any way I can put the voice files in Express Scribe?  I have no clue how to pase or rewind the way they have them. ...

Just Tested With United In N. Carolina
Jun 03, 2013

Just tested with United in N. Carolina. I need FT status. Please tell me about this company. Looks like good hours (7-3), but says "flexible" how does that work? Also, is it straight typing or VR or both? Benefits? PTO? Thanks! ...

TransTech - Anyone Recently Applied/tested?
Nov 13, 2009

Has anyone recently applied/tested for TransTech?  I tested 11/04 and still haven't had any kind of a response.  Any info if they're good/bad to work for??  Thanks in advance for any info.  ...

Tested For TranSolutions And Instructions Said To Use Semicolon After . . .
Feb 17, 2010

. . after headings.  I did this but think that is the reason why I did not score well on the transcription part of testing with 18 years experience.  Have you had a similar experience?  (i know some people mix up colon and semicolon and wonder if directions meant colon?!) ...

Independent Contractor - IRS Definition Of An IC, The IC Cannot Be Tested
Mar 13, 2010

As I understand it, according to IRS definition of an IC, the IC cannot be tested. If this is so, how do the transcription companies get away with testing for IC positions as mentioned in their ads. Is this legal? ...

Anyone Ever Worked For Or Tested With Precyse Solutions?
Jul 26, 2010

Has anyone ever worked for or tested with Precyse Solutions? ...

For The Q MTs That Have Tested For A Higher Level Tier:
Oct 02, 2011

and do you recommend doing this? Thanks ...