A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

BabbleType Bait and Switch - Sunny

Posted: Jun 27, 2012

Hi, all, 

Remember the most recent ad that BabbleType placed here at MTStars?  They were practically pleading with MTs and QAs to contact them and clear out their huge back log (tens of thousands of audio files they said). There was no mention of an exam; just contact them and request an assignment.  If you need training to be a QA editor, no problem -- just ask, and they would provide training.  Blah, blah, blah.  The direct quote in the ad was this:   "Send an email to   opportunities@babbletype.com and ask for an assignment. We’ll respond, get you set up, and get you an assignment right away."

I received an email from one of the ad posters yesterday asking if I was still interested in a job with them and, if so, to complete the exam and submit it to them in 24 hours.  (I had applied a while back when they posted their first ad here at this website, and I didn't continue with the test or take the job, so I guess they still had my email address).  I wrote back that I would be interested in working as a QA editor but that I wouldn't be testing (their test is very lengthy, and really isn't a good measure of skills) and quoted their own ad to them that there was no mention of testing but just the promise of an assignment if an MT contacts them (as shown above).  The woman then wrote and said testing is a requirement.  I don't mind testing if it's a valid test and isn't too time-consuming, mind you.  The problem here is the promise of one thing in an ad for an MT or QA job and then the breaking of that promise.  I wrote back to her that I would tell everyone I could about their tactics of lying (misleading at the very least) in an ad for a job, so I hope they read the posts at this forum.  MT companies are going to have to learn that we are not to be lied to, misled, and trampled upon during the hiring process and at all.  It happens far too often, and we all need to stick together to expose it when it does happen and demand honesty.  When an MT company promises us something, they need to do everything in their ability to stick to it.  I understand things happen and every single utterance is not going to be followed exactly sometimes, but to deliberately put information in an ad with no intention of honoring it is absolutely dishonest.  I wanted everyone to know that this is what BabbleType is doing at this website.  I mean, here they are asking us for our expertise as MTs and for our help with their backlog while misleading us in that very same job ad.    

Thanks for sharing - tiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just applied to them too, so thanks for sharing the feedback. Why is it SO hard to find a decent company that does this type of work? And then, why is it SO hard to get in???

Babbletype - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, thank you for sharing.

They sure seem disorganized, if not dishonest. I know someone who told them "no thanks" for the job and received that same "are you interested in working for us" email yesterday. I guess they don't even know when to take NO for an answer. With all that confusion, it's no wonder their work was backlogged.

Sounds like... - Callem as I see em

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like they are trying to disguise us doing their work for them "as a test" so they can get backlog caught up. Like we cant see through that one!

wordzxpressed - ex

[ In Reply To ..]
WordZXpressed did the same thing to me. I took their 5 orthopedic tests and they had the gall to say they weren't Even Going To Look At the TESTS...R u kidding me. Be careful who you test with as they may not even look at your tests that you spent your time taking just to have it Not Looked At!!! total garbage.

what reason did they give - for not looking at your test

[ In Reply To ..]
I've worked for them and found them to be reputable and on the up & up.

There must have been a reason for them to disregard your efforts.

wordZXpressed - Pam

[ In Reply To ..]
I am the Recruiter for wordZXpressed and would like to explain our hiring and testing process. When we post an ad, we can receive as many as 200 applications and tests to fill a position(s). We try to be as fair as possible and review the resumes and tests in the order they are received. If we find a qualified candidate within the first 10 applicants, then we don't grade any more tests. It might take 50 applicants to find a qualified candidate, but we follow the order in which the applications and tests were received. We are not a large company and do not have the manpower to grade 200 tests at one time. However, when we have another opening, we go back to those who have already applied and start where we left off reviewing resumes and grading tests. We realize the time it takes to transcribe the test and your efforts are not taken lightly. We feel this is the only fair way process so many tests. I would never want anyone to think they wasted their time when testing with wordZXpressed. I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding about our testing process.

Worth the wait - dee652

[ In Reply To ..]
I tested w/Wordz and got called months later. They save your app and test. They are the best to work for. Lots of work. REALLY good people. Good QA. Good supervisor. Good communications. Pay on time. Can't say enough. Been there over 3 years now. Hang in there. This job is worth the wait.

Voting "for" WordZXpressed - MaraschinoMary

[ In Reply To ..]
I would just like to add my 2 cents' worth to this discussion. Years ago, I worked for WordZXpressed for a while, and I found them to be a very fair and truly excellent company. I was treated well, and I believe I would have been able to make a good living with them. Unfortunately, I had some health issues at the time, and I was unable to perform up to the necessary standards. I would recommend them to any MTs who may be seeking a good position.

they were not - hiring for medical

[ In Reply To ..]
were they? I thought they were part of the group of non-MT postings that appeared all around the same time. I could be wrong.

However, that being said, do people really think they should be hired without a test? That just seems absurd, IMO.

They were hiring for transcription work. - Sunny

[ In Reply To ..]
, but I don't think it was medical. I knew I would get some heat for using the terms "MT company" and "MT companies." I should have used "transcription company/companies." However, I think most people got the overall points of my post, one of which is that this company and many transcription companies advertise here (and at other sites as well) for open positions, promise certain things in the ad (and during the recruiting/hiring process), then refuse to deliver those things. They then have the unmitigated gall to act like we shouldn't be offended or demand that they treat us honestly -- and that needs to change. Regarding testing, if you re-read my post, you'll see that I have no problem testing if the test is valid, a good measure of skills, not too time-consuming, scored fairly, and the results provided to the test-taker. This company advertised for positions in a LONG post and covered all sorts of issues and NOT ONCE mentioned testing. They worded the ad as though they needed our help as transcriptionists and QA editors immediately and that we should simply contact them to be given an assignment. Then, when we contacted them, SWITCHEROO: Testing required. They knew their tactic of not mentioning a test and making the hiring process seem very streamlined and fast would result in many applicants. So, in short, they misled us from the getgo. Imagine what other sorts of underhanded tactics they use on transcriptionists who actually work for them.

REALI TEA - one lump or two

[ In Reply To ..]
Your entire premise is just absurd.

Not every job that requires testing to get it, says we test. If you're doing transcription and offering out those services, IMO, you should EXPECT to test.

And if you want to put all those parameters, you'll do it if a, b, c, d? Then I would recommend you start your own business and make up your own rules and then you can be a happy little bird.

Until then, it wasn't a switcheroo (seriously??) it was business.

Perhaps originally they did not require a test, but ... - Maggie May

[ In Reply To ..]
but a company who says you don't have to take a test will be bombarded with applications, including many from people who cannot pass tests because they don't have the skills. I have a feeling they had a rude awakening about hiring people without testing them first. JMHO

That's Not the Issue - Sunny

[ In Reply To ..]
Bottom line: They said one thing in an ad for jobs they were offering and then didn't keep their word once people applied. Period. There is no excuse for that. If we continue to let companies get by with this type of thing without calling them out and also posting about it and warning others, then they will not change their behavior toward us. I'm with Dr. Phil on this one: You teach people how to treat you. And as MTs we have to start teaching these companies to treat us better by not accepting their abuse.

Similar Messages:

Companies That Don't Bait And Switch....
Nov 16, 2009

So disillusioned.  The company I loved for so long has turned into greedy liars.  Who in the MTSO world is still decent? ...

IMedX Bait And Switch?
Oct 09, 2012

Tested for iMedX and passed the below Surgical job they had posted: Specialty: Surgery Job Description: Current openings for OPs (ambulatory surgery/multiple specialties) accounts as IC (Independent Contractor). Must have approximately 5 years of experience in acute care/hospital transcription. Coverage is needed 7 days. Okay....even though this job is STILL posted on another MT site they are telling me they are putting it on HOLD for a few more weeks and posting another add for a nu ...

SOFTSCRIPT IS A BAIT AND SWITCH COMPANY!
Feb 07, 2015

Hey SoftScript employee below trying to defend company, I am writing in all caps too, but I did not post anything prior.  SOFTSCRIPT DOES USE A BAIT AND SWITCH TECHNIQUE.  THIS HAPPENED TO ME!  Want proof?  I worked for .  The recruiter is .  I never even was trained for the position I was hired for, but a week into working for SS, I was contacted by HR stating, "You are not the right fit."  I stayed on for a month, until a position with another company came al ...

SOFTSCRIPT HAS BAIT AND SWITCH LISTINGS AGAIN!
Mar 18, 2015

Here we go again, around and around!  SoftScript is looking for more trainers, mentors, and managers!  What is wrong with them?  Every few days they post these same jobs.  As I have said before, these are not real positions.  If you apply for one of them, there is a good chance you will be hired.  However, after you work there for a few days, you will receive a phone call or an e-mail telling you that you are not the right fit.  It happens over and over and ove ...

Stop Taking The MTSO Bait Here. It's The Negative Diversion They're Banking On.
May 21, 2012

Don't argue with them; stay focused.  They think we're so stupid, so desperate, that we'll waste precious time arguing with them here. They incite to elicit angry replies, so our posts are deleted. Prove them wrong; ignore the obvious taunts from MTSO's posing as "happy" MTs. Don't reply to them.  Simply post above them and stay focused.  They only post to incite anger and elicit knee-jerk replies, and our responses are removed, deleted. They th ...

Anything About Babbletype?
Jun 15, 2012

Does anyone know anything about Babbletype?  Good or bad?  Thanks. ...

Babbletype, Anyone?
Nov 07, 2012

Noticed old job posting from Babbletype. Pluses/minuses, please? ...

Babbletype?
Dec 27, 2012

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of  Babbletype or have any experience with this company? Thanks. ...

Babbletype And Babbleglass
Jun 14, 2012

Babbletype advertised here a couple weeks ago.  Anyone actually worked there and have anything to share?  I noted that the same people own Babbleglass, and according to the Babbleglass website, actively advertise that they can help companies save mony by offshoring work.  So, I wonder what type of work they offer the US transcriptionists?  Do they pay well?  IC or employee?  Do they follow the IRS rules for each?  The reason I'm asking here is to seek answ ...

Babbletype - Twice To Work
Jun 20, 2012

I have tried now twice to work for this company and the directions are so convuluted I cannot figure it out.  I wish you good luck and if anyone figures out how to ATTEMPT to work please let me know the secret.  Thanks, Frustrated. ...

If Anyone Is Working For Babbletype
Jul 13, 2012

Curious if anyone is working for Babbletype and if the job is really worth the effort to apply. ...

Has Anyone Worked For Babbletype?
Oct 19, 2012

Has anyone worked for babbletype?  It was on the job seeker's board on this mtstars site.  I sent a resume yesterday and they want to me to do some work today and do the prequisites later. ...

Babbletype? Has Anyone Worked For Them?
Nov 21, 2012

Babbletype??? Has anyone worked for them? I am looking for part-time work nights and weekends. They replied back to me quickly so a red flag quickly went up.   ...

Babbletype - BIG BEWARE!
Dec 12, 2012

I would have to say a BIG BEWARE!! ...

Babbletype, My Expeience
Jan 23, 2013

I started working as an IC in July 2012 for this company as a QA editor. The pay for average QA work audio minute was 0.17. It would go up with the degree of difficulty. However, the higher rate jobs were not very often and were extremely difficult to hear and took a long time to even QA the horrible mistakes of the DE. In the seven months I worked for them I had maybe four emails from them with errors in my work. I recently had a very, very minor error. It had been since October with no emails ...

Re: Babbletype CEO Statement
Apr 30, 2013

As a wise man once said, 'don't get in a pissing match with a skunk.' ...

Has Anyone Worked For Babbletype
Jan 23, 2014

Has anyone worked for Babbletype? ...

Any Experience With Babbletype
Feb 24, 2014

Does anyone out here have any experience with Babbletype. I have seen them advertising several different places. Checked and they are in good standing with BBB. ...

Babbletype - Don't Waste Your Time On This Guy
May 30, 2012

Don't waste your time on this guy.  The test is ridiculous, and the pay is peanuts.  They are having offshore "transcribers" type GENERAL AND CORPORATE reports, and we all know how horrible OS "transcribers" are at figuring out the nuances of the English language.  Then the U.S. proofreader is going to have to fix all of the errors.  There will be no money to be made as an editor in this position.  OS "transcribers" can't even get the SOCIAL HISTORY section of a medical report rig ...

BABBLETYPE - They Offer One Rate And Pay Another
Jan 22, 2013

BABBLETYPE! too much babbling too many chiefs not enough indians. Not enough work. Cheated on pay sale. Treated like crap. Run from Babbletype. Run as fast as you can. They offer one rate and pay another. ...

Babbletype Ad Under Jobs Is Not Accurate
Feb 25, 2013

Ad says 0.90 per minute for verbatim transcription.  But when you click on their link to take their test it says 0.25 per minute, which they say translates to a steady income of $100 per week.  They are obviously not gearing their ad toward U.S. transcriptionists as none of us can live on that. ...

COMPANY RESPONSE TO COMPLAINTS ABOUT BABBLETYPE
Apr 23, 2013

Hi. My name is John Feldcamp and I’m the CEO of Babbletype. I’ve been reading this discussion thread over for the first time and have decided to respond to the comments below. I’m doubtful if I’m making the right choice in doing so, since there are certain people who, once they decide you are the enemy, don’t much care about the finer points of what may or may actually not be true. But on the other hand, MT Stars has brought us many great people that have done well ...

BABBLETYPE Is Posting Again On The Jobs Board..sm
Oct 21, 2013

I am hopping on this in order to warn newer MTs DO NOT FALL FOR THIS, it is a SCAM!  Don't get burned by this company---they are about as honest as a 3 dollar bill.  Please search archives for info...there are a lot of scams out there now, just another joy of being an MT these days. ...

Recent (as Of 11/12/2013) Information On Babbletype
Nov 13, 2013

I tested with the company and about 2-3 weeks later, received an email from them stating I had done well on their test and was offered employment as an IC.  In order to test for them, I had to install Google Chrome (making for a total of 4 internet browsers now on my computer).  I felt the testing procedure was a bit cumbersome, but managed to muddle my way through it.  However, the test was a piece of cake, when compared to actually working for this company.  You HAVE to use ...

Babbletype - Preview Reviews/Posts
Feb 12, 2015

I just want to say I'm grateful for this forum and the people who take time to post. My local Craigslist (North Texas) had an ad today for an IC transcriptionist for Babbletype. I just googled the name and found an MT Stars Babbletype discussion from 2012. Thanks to all those comments, I didn't waste my time nor get ripped off.  ...

KVM Switch
May 21, 2010

Does anyone use one of these and have tips on a good one, or even a bad one to avoid? I think I will invest in one and have been reading online reviews.  It seems a lot of them have little quirks that may be annoying....... ...

Switch To IC
Apr 24, 2013

My previous employer provided my computer and all the software.  I'm thinking about trying independent contracting since most of the jobs I've seen require your own equipment anyway, but how do you know what equipment to get?  Each company seems to have their own preferences.  I'd like to have what would work across the board if I need to work on several accounts.  I've read about using a different tax form too, but can anyone tell me what else I would nee ...

VR Switch Over?
Dec 22, 2013

Does anyone know when the VR switch over for hospitals and clinics has to take place? I was just laid off from my job due to it going to VR. I was told 2014 but wondered if anyone had specifics. Thanks! ...

New To ASR/Told Had To Switch To ME By 07/01
Jun 30, 2010

I am sweating this out, as everyone else has, and it is not working for me.  The rules are too vague, the training insufficient, and I am struggling with doing whatever I can to get through the report and trying to correct "correctly" - whatever way that really is, there is no explanation.  I don't know when to use F11.  I gave ASR a 4-month try 4-5 (?) years ago when it first was implemented, and see similar non-recognition issues, similar heading issues, and probably I am ...

Is It Possible To Request A Switch To Another CCM
Feb 16, 2012

x ...