A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

COMPANY RESPONSE TO COMPLAINTS ABOUT BABBLETYPE - jfeldcamp

Posted: Apr 23, 2013

Hi.

My name is John Feldcamp and I’m the CEO of Babbletype. I’ve been reading this discussion thread over for the first time and have decided to respond to the comments below. I’m doubtful if I’m making the right choice in doing so, since there are certain people who, once they decide you are the enemy, don’t much care about the finer points of what may or may actually not be true. But on the other hand, MT Stars has brought us many great people that have done well at Babbletype, and so for those folks, past, present and future, I’ll try to provide some detailed responses. I apologize in advance for the length. Brevity is not my strong point.

First, there are legitimate concerns here that deserve a response, but there is also invective. About half of the content here was written by two people who have axes to grind, and their concern is with grinding those axes, not with objective commentary. I will respond just enough to defend ourselves here, and not to inflame things further.

With regard to the first person, Hardlesson, the lady worked with us for a few days (literally a few days) in June of 2012, and in that time she QA-reviewed 152 audio minutes. I’ll answer cost and payment issues later, but for now it’s enough to say that QA review is sampling transcripts against audio files (to determine pass or fail), and then for files that are good enough to pass, reading and editing the document into a delivery-ready form. It’s quick, easy work, and the 152 minutes above takes most of our QA people about an equivalent number of minutes. Call it two and a half hours. Hardlesson invested a lot more time than that, as did we with her, and it was readily apparent that this work was not something she could do well. I’m sorry about that, but I also can’t fix it. The test she refers to investing 3 hours in, as a case in point, was 5 audio minutes long and takes most people about 20 minutes to complete. As to training, for us that’s merely live work with a lot of guidance, and we pay the unit rate for the work in question. Long and short, Hardlesson tried to do work that really didn’t suit her for a couple of days, and then quit in frustration, which I fully understand. The real problem happened after that. She had reported working for us to her unemployment department (Hardlesson did the reporting, not us), and that reporting impacted her unemployment payment standing. When she then quit, the change in standing remained, impacting her prior benefits. Hardlesson then demanded that we mislead her state unemployment department and say that she had been terminated, which we did not do. She also threatened a smear campaign if we didn’t comply, and you can see the result of that here. She stated that our COO lied to the state unemployment department about her; quiet the opposite is true. Our refusal to do so was the source of her anger. I’m sure that Hardlesson’s situation was terrible and I’m sorry about that, but Babbletype was a bystander in that car wreck, not a cause of it.

With regard to the second person, Ladee Diane, this lady was doing occasional QA work for us of the same type described above, also in 2012. A point came where we had a problem that we needed to clean up. Ladee Diane wasn’t by any means the cause, but she did get caught up in it. The problem was that there were simply too many people on our contractor lists who showed up rarely or never, so that it was hard to tell who was actually working with us and who wasn’t. We decided to make a change, and only continue to work with people we could count on for a steady volume of work. That’s still true now. As part of that cleanup, we pulled off our lists a lot of folks who were very occasional in nature, so we could concentrate on a smaller team of folks who did the lion’s share of the work. Ladee Diane (and a few other folks) who were on the borderline got caught up in this cleanup. A few of those folks complained and are still with us today. Ladee Diane, however, went ballistic and proceeded to pour a stream of very rude emails at our team, at which point it was impossible to talk to her about a rejoining. The invective you read here is a very light version of what we received.

So, my point with the above is simply that there are agendas here. Once someone decides you are the enemy, fair and accurate commentary is secondary and perhaps not even possible. I’m sorry these folks had a bad experience, but the scale of their bitterness is not in line with the actual events. Again, I’m not writing this to start a fight — far from it. But we have a right to set the record straight.

Next, responses to legitimate criticisms.

Independent contractor work. This is true; we work mostly with independent contractors and pay on a unit basis. I agree that the world would be a better place is full-time jobs were possible instead, but it’s not. Like everyone else, our work waxes and wanes from day to day and week to week, and we would be broke if did this work with full-time people. I should know; I’ve tried. We work this way because it’s the only way my company (and most others in transcription) could survive. Wanting something different doesn’t change the market or the economics we all live in.

Benefits not provided. This is true. It’s independent contracting. We pay for work on a unit basis. Most folks work about 20 hours a week in any case.

Training not provided. Our work is not so complex that much training is needed. We have lots of documentation describing how we work, and project managers available to help and answer questions. The problem Hardlesson ran into was that she didn’t understand any of the tools (Express Scribe, Google docs) and didn’t know how to edit. We hire people who are supposed to already be able to transcribe and edit; we don’t train on it.

Low pay. We really do try to set our rates such that, on average, folks should be able to reliably earn around $10 per hour. But that’s an average. There are people who are a lot faster and who do better, and people who are really very slow and do worse. I can’t fix that. All of our rates are public, we send weekly reporting on what everyone who works for us has done, and we then pay, religiously, every week. Everyone wants rates to be higher; I understand that. But we don’t get to control what the market of people and companies who buy transcription are willing to pay, and that has been going nowhere but down.

Paying well below what we are worth, ruining the profession. The person writing this assumes that any of us have choices, which we do not. There’s a market, and customers vote with their feet. Demand for transcription has been going down, the amounts customers are willing to pay has been going down, jobs have been disappearing, and what people get paid to do the work has been going down. It hurts all of us, but we don’t get to control it, only respond to it. We work the way we do because it’s what the economics demand.

Editing work of overseas transcriptionists takes so long you can’t make any money. This is in reference to our QA process, which I’ve described above. The first step of that process is a minute or two or reviewing the audio against the transcript, to see if the content is good enough to pass. If it’s not, you fail it and don’t edit it, and we pay a fee on fails, so it’s hard to see how this is a real issue.

Owners getting rich from ripping off contractors. First, no one who owns a small to mid-sized transcription company is ever going to get rich. It’s impossible. It’s a small market and these are small-to-mid-sized companies struggling to get by. Thinking anything else is just self-indulgent. As to ripping off contractors, I have seen this done by others and I know this happens, but not by us. We are not angels and we are not perfect and we certainly make our share of mistakes, but we have never intentionally played any kind of financial game with anyone. It is not our way. We pay religiously and in full, as I said, every week. The worst that happens is that we make a payment calculation error (too much or too little) that we then need to fix. The amounts we pay, and the policies against which we pay, are fully available to everyone working with us.

Paying for a good rating on the BBB. I think this one speaks for itself.

Virtual Assistants having “dropped” Babbletype; not allowed to advertise. I don’t know who Virtual Assistants is and we have never used them to advertise anything. We work direct with individuals and never with intermediaries.

Hiring non-US citizens, part 1. Of course we do. This is a silly issue. If I need something translated from Romanian to English, there’s a good chance I’ll end up finding that translator in Romania. If I need a file transcribed that has a heavy South African accent, I have a much better chance of finding a transcriptionist in South Africa who can do it. We hire and work with people around the world, and I sincerely doubt any reasonable person would have an issue with us hiring Canadians, Europeans, Australians, etc., as the need required. I’m Canadian, and I hire plenty of Americans, so I hope not. So I don’t think this is the real issue. The real issue is hiring people from India or other such countries to do the work for much less than an American could do it for, which I’ll cover below.

Hiring non-US citizens, part 2. We do hire people from the Philippines specifically to do certain kinds of incredibly easy work (think telephone voicemails), where the customer demands an incredibly low price, because that, in turn, is what the competitive market demands. If some kinds of really easy transcription can be done for a quarter, then that is what the customers are going to demand for it. Our options are limited to taking the work or letting someone else do so. But beyond that super easy work, offshore people represent no competitive threat to native English speaking transcriptionists, because there are simply not enough of them able do the work well enough at any price. So real, serious, transcription is under no real threat from offshore workers. Seriously. The threats to that work are mostly from technology, and there’s nothing any of us can do about that. Doctors type their own notes into computers, and the amount of medical transcription goes down. Voice recognition gets better, and the amount of transcription available to do goes down. We can complain about it, but that’s like complaining that it’s raining. With regard to offshoring, the kind of work that’s under threat from offshore workers in India is work that literally anybody could do, and that really is under threat and there is very little any of us can do about it. But guess what — it’s also same work that computers can do. And, separating out transcription specifically in this worldwide trend is pointless. If you have ever shopped at Wal-Mart, you are buying things made offshore in exactly the same way, very nearly everything in the store — and that, at $100 billion in sales, is 10,000 times larger than transcription. I understand the politics of the issue, but this is the weather. Railing at it doesn’t change it, and we all need to learn how to live with it. For clarity, when discussing real transcription of serious recordings, nearly everything we do is done by native English speakers here or elsewhere in the developed world. Why? Because that is also the weather. The offshore people everyone rails about can’t do it anyway.

Challenging audio. The complaint here is that the audio files we have available to work on are challenging, which is to say multiple speaker focus groups, recordings with background noise, interviews, and the like. Yes, that’s the work we have. It’s what our customers give us, and it’s also the work that really needs native English speakers to do it. The easy stuff is all gone, and it isn’t coming back.

Babbletype charges 10% to deposit checks. This is fiction. When we hire people on oDesk (very rarely these days), oDesk does charge the contractor a 10% fee, which is how oDesk stays alive and offers its (valuable) service of connecting people who want work with companies who have it. In any case this is not something Babbletype charged, and Babbletype pays 90+% of our people using PayPal, and we shoulder the fees for those payments.

Orchestrated ads put together by marketing outfit. Read this response and then read the ads. They will sound the same. Why? Because I wrote them. As to way too much information, you can’t have it both ways. People misunderstand everything, including the two folks mentioned above to their detriment, so we try to be as comprehensive as possible.

Sorry for the length of this, but to wrap it up we are a real company working with real people and paying them real money to do real work. People with the right skills and who fit what we are looking for can earn around $10 per hour doing it while working when they want around other things they have going on in their lives. We are working to explain more, to be ever clearer, and to test more carefully at the outset because we don’t need an army. We are looking for small numbers of people who fit what we need that we can develop real, rich, long term relationships with.

Thanks for listening.

Sincerely,

John Feldcamp

CEO

Babbletype

Brave post Mr. Feldcamp. Good for you for defending yourself. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just to clarify, I do not work for now, nor have I ever worked for this company and have no intention of ever applying at this company. I just like seeing an employer have the guts to try to get their side out on this board.

Thank you ma'am - jfeldcamp

[ In Reply To ..]
We are not perfect but we are not this either.

Thank you for providing - the

[ In Reply To ..]
other side of the story.

There is usually a lot more to any story, especially when one party is figuratively frothing at the mouth.

We seldom get to hear the other side, so again, thank you for your clear and reasoned explanation.

Right on! - vlv

[ In Reply To ..]
I get so tired of listening to people complain about what can't be changed in today's world. I am trying to find real info about a company when I look on this site, not people with an axe to grind. They need to grow up.

Applause from me too - schmeep

[ In Reply To ..]
I got my transcription start in focus groups - sitting in my little closet office with my 2-year-old (now 24) snoozing on my lap.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post. Bravo.

I respect a company who will respond - longtimemt

[ In Reply To ..]
I applaud you for taking the time to explain in such detail and give both sides of the story, you come across as someone who genuinely cares about the people you hire and are not a right fighter and need to be right, you presented both sides and as an MT who has been in this business for 35 years you definitely have my respect.

Thank you - jfeldcamp

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate it. Anywhere there are people there will be issues, and you need to be fairly clear-eyed to survive running a business, believe in acting in good faith. I don't like the snake oil people any more than anyone else.

I work for another company, but I would work for you - anyday..........

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I work for has NEVER had that "cajones" to respond to the complaints about them on this board (and believe me there are MANY).

Thank you for being honest. Need anymore MTs? :o)

The best thing I have read on this site! - Believer

[ In Reply To ..]
Several times, Mr. Feldcamp said "I'm sorry" in his explanation - you can clearly tell this is a man who cares about the people doing the work for him, and even the people he describes in his explanation who were not a fit for his company. I actually tried to start work for this company, but it was a difficult time and I was unable to navigate a different 'landscape' then. But reading this explanation, I think it's fair to say this is a company who deserves a fair shake, so I hope others reading it will think twice about Babbletype, but for other MTSO's. After all, *none* of us know the whole story about comments that are posted here...

Thanks for the post Mr. Feldcamp!

Thank you for your input and - Surprised

[ In Reply To ..]
thank you for explaining how things work "behind the scenes", as most companies' management folks don't take the time. However, as a transcriptionist with over 40 years experience, including the "training" of the voice recognition system from the get-go years ago, $10 an hour keeps me from applying. I can't think of how many CEOs, operations managers, vice presidents, etc., I'd like to say "Can you say 'Undercover Boss?" Thanks again for actually paying attention and responding; it's refreshing and appreciated.

You're reasong for low wages is highly flawed, Sir - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in the business of general/legal/MT transcription for 24 years. This paragraph:

"Paying well below what we are worth, ruining the profession. The person writing this assumes that any of us have choices, which we do not. There̢۪s a market, and customers vote with their feet. Demand for transcription has been going down, the amounts customers are willing to pay has been going down, jobs have been disappearing, and what people get paid to do the work has been going down. It hurts all of us, but we don̢۪t get to control it, only respond to it. We work the way we do because it̢۪s what the economics demand."

Is not true. It is due to companies as yours who bid low just to get the work. $10 an hour is ridiculous pay for the type of work you offer. Reputable companies, and there are MANY out there, pay $75 a/h to start and go UP from there and they are slammed with work all the time. And I mean many companies.

You are trying to justify cheaping out wage-wise and trying to make these MTs think it's a great deal - IT'S NOT! You can't keep people because once those not versed on the GT side of things realize there's a lot of work for the pittance of pay you offer, they move along and find those better companies out there.

It's not fair companies like you preying on the "newbies" or inexperienced to GT. $10 an a/h is NOT acceptable for this type of work and you know it, but you and the companies like you out there, just want to get that work coming in. Shame on you - it hurts everyone in the end.

Jamie

Name the many companies, please - just wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Jamie: You said: Reputable companies, and there are MANY out there, pay $75 a/h to start and go UP from there and they are slammed with work all the time. And I mean many companies.

Please name your source(s). Thanks! I would love to apply at one of these many companies.

Has to be a typo - SN

[ In Reply To ..]
7.5 cents a line, $17.5 an hour, maybe. $75 hour is more than some lawyers get.
AUDIO hour....$75.00, not actual wages. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Go back and reread the post. Sm - Old Woman

[ In Reply To ..]
It is YOUR reasoning that is flawed.

Regarding what Babbletype transcriptionists make: "We really do try to set our rates such that, on average, folks should be able to reliably earn around $10 per hour."

He states they reliably earn around $10 PER HOUR, not per audio hour as you deduced in your post.

I personally find it commendable that a transcription service owner would come here and explain his company in the way he did.

Still a pathetic wage - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you really think that $10.00 per hour is a fair wage for the type of work we do? I made more than that at my first job out of school many, many years ago. While I commend the writer for speaking up for himself, he cannot possibly think he is paying a fair rate for the work his employees are doing. I see they are based out of Philadelphia. Anyone who lives in the northeast can attest to the fact that you cannot live on $10.00 per hour. Even if you could, that is about half of what he should be paying his transcriptionists. I have been around a long time and remember the good old days. Yes, I know they are gone...and so am I.
I think at $10 an hour... - skilled labor
[ In Reply To ..]
...you get what you pay for. These companies expect us to have knowledge of anatomy, pharmacology, pathology, English grammar and spelling, the latest medical equipment and procedures and to pay our own taxes (as ICs) and yet want to pay us a couple of dollars more than minimum wage. Sorry, but most companies are making huge profits on the backs of the MTs. JMO
I don't think this fellow is making - huge profits
[ In Reply To ..]
MModal and Nuance might be, but Mr. Feldcamp is just trying to run a small business. I don't think he's getting rich of the employees backs.
You're right. - skilled labor
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps I should have said most larger companies are making big profits. However, I still maintain that $10 an hour is an insult when these companies are requiring all the things I mentioned in my prior post and also want 5-10 years of experience. I do appreciate Mr Feldcamp for coming here and giving us his perspective.

I didn't see it that way at all. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I saw it more as this: They have an ad out for needing workers now and more than likely, due to the MANY negative comments, they are not receiving any applications. So, he comes here and posts and explains HIS SIDE to the disgruntled workers and because he did that, then everyone assumes he is this "wonderful" person and how great of him to do this. Remember, there are still TWO SIDES to every story and just because he decided to state "his side" doesn't mean that the previous posters were wrong in their sides.

There are people on here who DAILY complain that $10 bucks an hour is ridiculous and they can't work for that, etc. He didn't even say a person would make $10 dollars an hour, he said they "could make that much, maybe less, maybe more." I am doubting the maybe more part, as companies want to put their top of the line pay up there, to make themselves look better, so I am guessing they will make less. Anyway, BECAUSE he came on here, basically to save his own you know what, all of a sudden people are falling at his feet, saying what a god he is and how they would love to work for him for a "possible" $10 bucks an hour?

I really put more faith in what former workers say, rather than what a company tells me, ESPECIALLY if there are quite a few that say the same thing. If I want to bite and try it for myself, then I do, but a CEO coming here glorifying the company would not make me any more inclined to apply.
I agree with not seeing it that way at all - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
The day I routinely get paid $10/hr is my LAST day to transcribe any report. That is not a liveable wage. I whole heartedly agree that higher wages are becoming a thing of the past based on market demands and availability of work as stated in the OP's first post, though. The higher pay is out there, but it is certainly the exception anymore. I certainly agree that I would not be inclined to apply with this company based on the owner's declaration of facts (see next paragraph as to why).

Now something I do not agree with is that the individual names (disgruntled persons) were put out there for all of us to see. My concern is that when we (general "we" posters) use personal names of a person at an MTSO, those posts are deleted. I'm wondering if it is now the position of MTStars that the names of "disgruntled workers" being posted is acceptable? It would be a reasonable thought that harm could come to those persons by being black listed by other MTSO's. Just a thought.
are those actual names though? - the look like handles to me nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I don't know, could be the first part of email addresses - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
For all intents and purposes, they could have been referred to as "Thing 1 and Thing 2" (think Dr. Seuss). I see no reason for any type of identifying information for the point of his declaration of setting the record straight.
They're not actual names - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
they are nicknames/aliases of previous posters on this board. Feel free to do a search on here to find the original issue the OP is referencing.
yeah, I did a search on the names and found the threads - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
Like the other poster mentioned, the first was about a year ago, then the second event a few months ago. So now I find myself actually thinking about Babbletype and I have less interest in working for it than when I casually read the original posts months ago. I think that was a whole lot of defense for that amount of complaint on this board. And still, there may be valid complaints that can't be swept away by his own declaration; I mean, exactly how objective can he be while defending himself? Objectivity is in the ear of the listener I suppose.

I was once warned about an MTSO not paying, but gave them a chance (one pay period's worth), found they tried to not pay me as a result of a "misunderstanding" about when to expect my first check, ceased working until the "misunderstanding" cleared, and then separated myself from them when their check cleared the bank. Their POV was it was a misunderstanding. My POV was they created the situation on their end, and I was not willing to participate in it. My POV never wavered even with explanations and declarations and later read of other people having the same experience after my departure.

The same could be true here. It could all be a smoke screen to find a new work pool and the same thing happens over and over. I don't know. I'm just speculating.

People try different MTSO's like hats to see which one is a good fit. Not every MTSO is a good fit for everyone. If the new work pool gives it a try with this company, I think it would be prudent to proceed with caution.
Well, gee, if the 2 disgruntled ones posted under those monikers - Backwards Typist
[ In Reply To ..]
they are NOT individual names and their posts are there for everyone to see with that moniker so how can you equate monikers with personal names?

They can't be blacklisted because they didn't give their personal names.
Personal names are not always deleted. Look at MM board - they are always referring to Amy and Vern and
[ In Reply To ..]
those messages never get deleted. And the people he is referring to are just monikors made up for this website, we have no clue who those people are in the real world.
It is kind of obvious - MT32
[ In Reply To ..]
The original thread that he is referring to, happened in July 2012. That was almost a year ago! It is definitely not the only bad word every written about this company by far.

Waiting a year to "defend yourself" just means, like stated....Nobody will apply and they are trying to save face a little and it worked actually, people think he is a complete delight, so Yay for Babbletype:)

I'm confused! Please read! - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
After reading these posts and a recent posting for a BabbleType transcriptionist, which posts that "Compensation varies with work type; typical verbatim work averages $10 per 15 minutes of audio." Okay? Everyone is saying $10/hr. Is this job posting lying? I was really interested, but now I'm confused. Should I apply for or not. I can deal with $10 per 15 minutes of audio, but not $10/hour. If you've actually worked for this company, please give details regarding payment. Thanks for anyone's help!!

No, not JFeldcamp - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm reading another posting online, not JFeldcamp. That's why I'm asking for clarification.

YOU MISUNDERSTAND - jfeldcamp

[ In Reply To ..]
Jamie, my note was talking about $10 per LABOR HOUR on average, not per audio hour.

$75 per audio hour is equivalent to $0.80 per audio minute which is what we actually DO pay for verbatim focus groups.

Please don't torch the building before you're sure it's deserved.

I'm lost AND horrible in math, actually - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
0.80 cents per audio minute is $75 per hour? Please tell me how this is calculated, that is not how I ever figured it. I thought you would do 0.80 cents per minute and there are 60 minutes in an hour, so 0.80 x 60 equals $48.00 per audio hour, not $75.00.

Pay versus quality of work expected - CoMT

[ In Reply To ..]
But, I think a lot of concern is that you seem to think that $10 per LABOR HOUR is a good and fair wage in exchange for quality work from an experienced and professional MT, which it is not, not even if great benefits are provided! Paying anything less than 9 cpl WITH BENEFITS to an employee is just wrong, which would mean that paying anything less than 10+ cpl without benefits to an IC is just wrong as well.

An experienced MT working as an IC and providing professional quality transcription should be able to expect to make at least $15 per hour at a minimum, and realistically more like $18-$20 an hour since she has to maintain her own office, provide her own equipment, Internet, etc. in addition to paying her own taxes, vacations, health care, etc.

Therefore, in my opinion (and I'm sure the opinion of anyone else who has been in this field since the days of really good pay AND benefits), your expectation of a quality work for MAYBE $10 per labor hour is really quite laughable and an absolute insult to all.
well the answer would be for you to not go to work - for Babbletype
[ In Reply To ..]
Because that small company can't afford to pay you 9 cents a line with benefits. Also it sounds like this is not all about medical transcription, but more like general transcription, so you should take your skills elsewhere.
oops, your (lack of) class is showing - truecolors
[ In Reply To ..]
I think some of the complaints reflected a lack of professionalism with the owner/operators. Strange how Mr. Owner posted with his name throughout this thread, only to tell someone to "take your skills elsewhere" and signing with the company name. If you're gonna stand up for yourself, why stop posting your name? This post came off saying we only pay for low-class workers cause that's all we can afford. You aren't going to win friends talking like that. I think it's time for you to pack up your toys and go back home to play in your own sandbox.

oh, I think I misunderstood, though, maybe that was one MT talking to another MT?
no I'm not Mr. Feldcamp - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm just an MT who realizes that a small business can't pay you 9 cents a line plus benefits.
EXACTLY - PoorWages
[ In Reply To ..]
What's worse is they don't even say it is $10.00 per hour, they say MAYBE $10 bucks an hour, maybe more, maybe less. That leads me to believe that NOBODY makes over $10 and most people probably make far less. If there were people making, say $15 per hour, then they would say how you can make $15 per hour, maybe more, maybe less.

If, as an owner of a transcription company, you are unable to contract for wages with a client that are enough to make it worth a quality transcriptionist typing for you, then the answer is simple....DO IT YOURSELF! I was an MTSO and I COULD NOT accept contracts for people who didn't want to pay enough to my MTs. They would have quit and I wouldn't have blamed them. I actually did have a doctor or two, throughout the years, that wanted to pay less for whatever reason and IF I chose to accept that client, I typed them myself. If I had to ask for help from another MT, she got the EXACT same amount for that doctor that she got for everyone else and I took the loss.

.80 per minute x 60 = $48.00 per audio hour - (correction requested)

[ In Reply To ..]
mind you, I do not agree with the posters who are taking issue with your pay structure.

At $10 per LABOR HOUR... - The building DESERVES to be torched!

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want a "maybe $10 per hour" person working for you, then don't require an extensive test (That is just insulting) and hire NEWBIES, right out of school and it will be a win/win situation for you. You will have people who can type, or will try their best to type, and the newbie can gain experience to hopefully move on and find something more bountiful in the future.

Really, to come on here and tell us, seasoned MTs, that $10 per hour is fair wage, most aren't buying it. Then, the fact that it is a POSSIBLE $10 per hour, that's even more insulting.

PRICES YOU CHARGE - FROM YOUR WEBSITE - SadMT

[ In Reply To ..]
So, you want to pay ~$0.80 per audio minute because you cannot afford to pay more based on your rates? You are charging $2.25 - $3.00 per audio minute according to your website.
Standard Terms

Pricing

Babbletype charges by the audio minute. This is the number of minutes of actual audio contained on a file or tape to be transcribed. Our standard pricing for 1-2 person interviews (dictation or IDIs) is 2.50 per verbatim audio minute or 2.25 per edited audio minute. Our standard pricing for multi-party focus group transcripts is $3.00 per verbatim audio minute and $2.75 per edited summarized audio minute.
WOW! - ShakingMyHead
[ In Reply To ..]
To even bother coming here with the sob story of how the company isn't making money. Hopefully, nobody applies to that nonsense.
Out of curiosity - just an MT
[ In Reply To ..]
How much do you think they should pay the MT then based on a client charge of $2.25 to $3.00?
Do you think transcription is the only thing marked up 300%? - just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
IF what you say is true - 0.80 /audio minute paid versus $2.25 charged this is not a gross markup.

Or do you not realize that virtually everything you buy is marked up 200-1000% or more?

I am not defending his rates or markups, by the way since I don't have all the facts - just responding to your outrage...

please clear up the math here - $75/hr is $1.25/min (not $.80) - thanks

[ In Reply To ..]

Babbletype - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
It seems like we hear it from all sides about "speech rec getting better and better" as justification for paying lower and lower wages. From where I sit, speech rec is NOT getting better and better so that tired old story just doesn't ring true.

Speech rec - Jfeldcamp

[ In Reply To ..]
I concur for any challenging audio. My point was simply that all of the easy stuff goes away, because tech CAN handle that. Rates, on the other hand, are driven by the market, which no one controls.

What's wrong with you - and you call yourself a professional!

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like to know what you're doing posting real names on this board? Don't you know that's against the rules?
Okay one more time - they are not real names
[ In Reply To ..]
they are handles/monikers that have been used on this board.

Babblecrap - motherg

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for Babblecrap for a few weeks. I did QA...the transcriptionists clearly did not have a good command of the English language. In most cases the entire transcript had to be re-written. I did not get paid for many of the corrected transcripts. In six weeks, I got paid about $130. I tried to get compensation for my work, but was told I never worked on the transcripts. (I kept a log of all transcripts that I QA'd) And many times there were technical issues making it impossible to do any work at all! I enjoyed the work, but I want to get paid for the work that I do. $10.00 an hour??? No way!!!

Babblecrap - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds like there's a rat in Babbletype's woodpile. Particularly since their website says you need a Bachelor's to do QA. Yeah, $10/hour is ludicrous.

Question for Mr. Feldcamp - Lucy

[ In Reply To ..]
Could you live on $10 per labor hour, supply equipment, electricity, ets., pay for your childrens growing feet and put them in shoes, let alone put food on the table, a roof over their heads, medical insurance for $10 an hour? In other words, toilet paper costs almost $10 for a large pack. If someone was paying you $10 per labor hour, could you afford to wipe your pompous behind?
Lucy - Lally
[ In Reply To ..]
You can't see me, however, I am standing up and applauding. Excellent post!

Response to complaints - clw

[ In Reply To ..]
I have corresponded with John Feldcamp through O'Desk off and on for years. I am a college-trained medical transcriptionist currently working for someone else.

John Feldcamp has always been up front and specific about the type of work he has to offer. Since I prefer strictly medical transcription, I have not worked for him very often. John is correct the market is forever changing. His pay offered is very fair and equivalent to the other offers out there. If you are good at your job, you certainly can make more. If you are not, then do not expect to make very much money in this field. It takes constant research and updated references to compete in this field.

All of those out there sitting around complaining about fair employers such as John Feldcamp would better be served by honing their skills and always striving to do better each day.

Hang in there, John. The experienced out there understand your challenges as well as theirs in this everchanging field.

Hubris of CEOs - shakingmyhead

[ In Reply To ..]
Did it ever occur to you to offer the "incredibly easy" work to the experienced MTs here in the US, who could use the easy stuff as a compensating factor to even the score for the MTs for all the difficult rubbish from the ESLs they have to put up with?

Confused! Please read! - Confused!!

[ In Reply To ..]
After reading these posts in response to you, I read a very recent posting for a BabbleType transcriptionist, which states that "Compensation varies with work type; typical verbatim work averages $10 per 15 minutes of audio." Okay? Everyone is saying $10/hr. Is this job posting lying? I was really interested, but now I'm confused. Should I apply or not? I can deal with $10 per 15 minutes of recorded audio, but not $10/hour. I would like to go forward with the application, but now unsure if any of this is really worth it. (I can provide you with the location of the article, if you like.) Thanks for anyone's help!!

From a previous Babbletype employee - Bruce T

[ In Reply To ..]
I would like to say that I worked for Babbletype for many months while my own transcription business (just me) was at a low point. I found the company very willing to train, very friendly and a nice change of pace from medical to general transcription/QA. When I had questions about various aspects, I received immediate feedback from very pleasant managers and from Mr. Feldencamp himself on several occasions. Yes, it is difficult work at times and, no, you are not going to earn the $30-$50 an hour that you might be earning on your own. But as a stop-gap temporary fill-in job or even as a regular part-time job, I believe Babbletype is basically a good place where you can pick your own hours. Their written training materials are excellent. Google Docs is something we should all learn and I felt as if I were being paid to learn it. Pay was always in my account on a timely basis and, as you can see, I'm a big fan of Babbletype.

Thank you so much for the insider info...... - cynnamon

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not write to smear the company; I have never worked for you, but I felt I wanted to give it a chance and respond to your ad. First, the name "Babbletype" made me wonder if this was a joke--Babble denotes shoddy work, did not know how to take it. So I searched the archives of our site and found several going backwards, some very recent, who stated a lot of the complaints that you mentioned. And so I posted a note, in case someone did not do research, just to weigh the information, we try to have each other's backs. I truly do apologize for the questionable post, I just wanted newer MTs to research as much as possible, there are so many scams out there. Again, thanx.

Similar Messages:

Pay Complaints?
Oct 12, 2011

How are people only making minimum wage.  I am an MT/MME/QA and between all three different pay ranges for each one I average 16-17$/hour, even when I do not have my most familiar accounts.  ...

DQ7.1 Complaints..Please Help If You Know
Oct 03, 2012

Can no longer capitalize the first letter in a sentence by hitting the space bar..and YES my capitalize toggle is on Expansion list is not easily navigated.  When Ctrl E cannot just quickly arrow up and down if you need to look for an expansion that you cannot recall what letters you assigned Phyisician look-up:  In consults or dictator for..what short cut to search for doctors.  Now when I alt I to get me to the optional part to fill in referring MD or dictator for I have to us ...

Are We Getting More And More Complaints Now
Feb 20, 2013

new TSM and new QC and it seems as though we are all doing wrong all of a sudden?  on accounts that are always complaining? and we are always out of work.  or is it just me? ...

Complaints
Mar 13, 2015

falling on deaf ears.  Constant account jumping, humanly impossible accuracy score and line count, extremely poor dictators, horribly picky clients who want this and that but not this and that, management that will not communicate.  If this is progression of technology and corporate greed, I'll go back to the good ole days when the primary concern for doctors, hospitals, clinics, transcriptionists, etc. was for the patient and the patient alone! ...

Two Complaints Here, On QA/QASAR
Jan 22, 2010

Enlighten this old gal.   Weren't we told to change q.h.s. to at bedtime some time ago (AHDI rules)?   and also were we not supposed to be ignoring commas versus semicolons.   I majored in English in college.   I am an old-school grammar girl, and a former editor of a publishing company.  I do know my grammar and punctuation; but really it is not that crucial to the report.  Only when you leave out periods... Now, the qhs situation.  P ...

Owner Complaints About ICs
May 13, 2011

Is there anywhere on this website that it is appropriate for owners to post about people who have been ICs with your company and you would like others to know about their work quality, etc?  I am just so fed up with we, as the owners, being put down about we did this or that, but we, as the owners, never have a say about the ones we weed out of our company because of work quality, etc.  Just upset and venting...but I would like to know if there is an area to post this information. ...

Nine Years, No Complaints, Now On QA?
Nov 30, 2011

None of my work for the past three days have gone through because I've been put on full QA.  Not one complaint.  They've hired a lot of new MT's so I'm wondering if they're looking to get rid of us older ones so they can pay less. Ever had this happen? ...

Transcend MLS Here. I See All These Complaints About
Sep 01, 2012

currently.  I have worked at Transcend for 8 years and I don't think I've ever been audited.  Is this to change and will we soon be at the mercy of Nuance QC?  I sure hope not by the description of the QC complaints here. ...

Re: Complaints About MTSOs
Jun 30, 2013

"complete power corrupts completely" these companies have complete power over us and we [as a whole] have given it to them.   there are lessons to be learned to all in healthcare from what happened to MT.   ...

Complaints On This Board Day After Day About The MT Industry?
Mar 15, 2010

Is anyone else sick of reading all the complaints on this board day after day about the MT industry?  Am I the only one who actually enjoys what I do?  If you hate Mting so bad, then quit!  Be thankful you have a job.  I know I will get lots of nasty replies, but I am so tired of all the negativity.  I would never want to go back to working at my previous job which was a call center where you sat all day and listened to ppl curse at you.  I do not miss all the gas money wasted because of d ...

So What Is New And Improved With Mail And Other Complaints
Jun 29, 2010

So, due to decreased pay constantly going down the spiral staircase, I could not pay my Charter internet DSL any longer.  I had to go to dial up because AT&T does not have DSL in my little spit of property.  IT IS A NIGHTMARE!!   I changed my schedule to graveyard so I would not be disconnected everytime someone calls me.  I don't have the money to pay for an extra line.  Charter wanted $89 a month for DSL only.   Of course, they wanted me to bund ...

Anything About Babbletype?
Jun 15, 2012

Does anyone know anything about Babbletype?  Good or bad?  Thanks. ...

Babbletype, Anyone?
Nov 07, 2012

Noticed old job posting from Babbletype. Pluses/minuses, please? ...

Babbletype?
Dec 27, 2012

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of  Babbletype or have any experience with this company? Thanks. ...

Babbletype And Babbleglass
Jun 14, 2012

Babbletype advertised here a couple weeks ago.  Anyone actually worked there and have anything to share?  I noted that the same people own Babbleglass, and according to the Babbleglass website, actively advertise that they can help companies save mony by offshoring work.  So, I wonder what type of work they offer the US transcriptionists?  Do they pay well?  IC or employee?  Do they follow the IRS rules for each?  The reason I'm asking here is to seek answ ...

Babbletype - Twice To Work
Jun 20, 2012

I have tried now twice to work for this company and the directions are so convuluted I cannot figure it out.  I wish you good luck and if anyone figures out how to ATTEMPT to work please let me know the secret.  Thanks, Frustrated. ...

If Anyone Is Working For Babbletype
Jul 13, 2012

Curious if anyone is working for Babbletype and if the job is really worth the effort to apply. ...

Has Anyone Worked For Babbletype?
Oct 19, 2012

Has anyone worked for babbletype?  It was on the job seeker's board on this mtstars site.  I sent a resume yesterday and they want to me to do some work today and do the prequisites later. ...

Babbletype? Has Anyone Worked For Them?
Nov 21, 2012

Babbletype??? Has anyone worked for them? I am looking for part-time work nights and weekends. They replied back to me quickly so a red flag quickly went up.   ...

Babbletype - BIG BEWARE!
Dec 12, 2012

I would have to say a BIG BEWARE!! ...

Babbletype, My Expeience
Jan 23, 2013

I started working as an IC in July 2012 for this company as a QA editor. The pay for average QA work audio minute was 0.17. It would go up with the degree of difficulty. However, the higher rate jobs were not very often and were extremely difficult to hear and took a long time to even QA the horrible mistakes of the DE. In the seven months I worked for them I had maybe four emails from them with errors in my work. I recently had a very, very minor error. It had been since October with no emails ...

Re: Babbletype CEO Statement
Apr 30, 2013

As a wise man once said, 'don't get in a pissing match with a skunk.' ...

Has Anyone Worked For Babbletype
Jan 23, 2014

Has anyone worked for Babbletype? ...

Any Experience With Babbletype
Feb 24, 2014

Does anyone out here have any experience with Babbletype. I have seen them advertising several different places. Checked and they are in good standing with BBB. ...

Babbletype - Don't Waste Your Time On This Guy
May 30, 2012

Don't waste your time on this guy.  The test is ridiculous, and the pay is peanuts.  They are having offshore "transcribers" type GENERAL AND CORPORATE reports, and we all know how horrible OS "transcribers" are at figuring out the nuances of the English language.  Then the U.S. proofreader is going to have to fix all of the errors.  There will be no money to be made as an editor in this position.  OS "transcribers" can't even get the SOCIAL HISTORY section of a medical report rig ...

BabbleType Bait And Switch
Jun 27, 2012

Hi, all,  Remember the most recent ad that BabbleType placed here at MTStars?  They were practically pleading with MTs and QAs to contact them and clear out their huge back log (tens of thousands of audio files they said). There was no mention of an exam; just contact them and request an assignment.  If you need training to be a QA editor, no problem -- just ask, and they would provide training.  Blah, blah, blah.  The direct quote in the ad was this:&nbs ...

BABBLETYPE - They Offer One Rate And Pay Another
Jan 22, 2013

BABBLETYPE! too much babbling too many chiefs not enough indians. Not enough work. Cheated on pay sale. Treated like crap. Run from Babbletype. Run as fast as you can. They offer one rate and pay another. ...

Babbletype Ad Under Jobs Is Not Accurate
Feb 25, 2013

Ad says 0.90 per minute for verbatim transcription.  But when you click on their link to take their test it says 0.25 per minute, which they say translates to a steady income of $100 per week.  They are obviously not gearing their ad toward U.S. transcriptionists as none of us can live on that. ...

She Had A *litnea* Of Complaints Includi.ng Occipitally Based Headaches. Thanks. Nm
Apr 14, 2010

nm ...

Regarding Complaints About Waiting For Work To Make Min. Line Count.
Jul 21, 2011

A couple of year ago, the company I was working for was off-shoring all they could, which left many of us without work.  We were required to clock in, out, in, out, in, out........ during our shift, but had to do so many hours and so many lines.  When it go next to impossible, and I was working days, nights, and weekends to try to make the minimum, I complained to my AM and asked that we bring in a third party on this issue, as I was not being supplied with the minimum amount of work r ...