A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Any predictions about MTSO mergers for 2011? - I predict nothing major, and 2011 will be a more s

Posted: Dec 31, 2010

nm

I give up. How can I tell if my message will get - cut off?? Drives me nuts!! OP nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

The subject line and nickname line only hold - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
so many characters. Best bet is to continue your message in the "reply" box if long.

How about a prediction on wages? - $$ Headed down! ... nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I predict that I will tell SS that they can KMA if the NJA continues. - SSMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Happy New Year.

Wish I had that problem! sm - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
I was hoping to have a light day so I could spend time with my family but to no avail. Work pouring in.

I predict a lot of experienced MTs are going to have to make hard decisions about whether to - Stay as an MT or find a new career (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]

If the job ad that I just saw that was posted 01/01/2011 is any indication, 2011 is going to be the year that a lot of Medical Transcriptionists are going to have to make the hard decision – stay in Medical Transcription or move into a whole new career entirely.

The ad was:

Independent Contractor

Clinic Work (Transcription, not Speech Recognition)

10-years experience MINIMUM

7 cents per line (65-character with spaces)

Come-on!!!!  Is it so hard finding a decent job out there that someone with 10 years experience would be willing to work for, basically, 5 cents a line (after paying your own taxes, Social Security, etc).  

I sure hope that MTSO does not get a single reply.  Once other MTSOs find out that experienced MTs are willing to take jobs at 7 cent a line, that is what the norm will become, and even employees will not be safe from the declining starting wage.  

JUST SAY NO

Unfortunately, someone will take that job and wages will continue to plummet. sm - LTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If I was younger and/or had a little more money set aside, I'd go back to school and get into something different, but as it is, I just have to pray that I can hang in there for another 15-20 years.

The ignorant part of that ad is thinking that 10 years exp is always a good thing - Experience does not equal excellence

[ In Reply To ..]
You can tell that they don't know much about MT if they think that requiring 10 years (minimum) experience is a good thing. Sometimes it's 10 years of very poor experience doing things for an employer who accepts poor work and doesn't recognize quality when they see it. Then you get that experienced MT and find out that you're working with an experienced MT who will demand to have things 'the way I've always done it with my old employer and I'm not going to change now.'

That 10 years (minimum) experience requirement makes me think they haven't done this kind of work very long.

You're so right about experience... - PT

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to work in an acute care hospital, and some of the transcriptionists there produced reports packed with errors, and they had a lot of experience. Because the staff didn't know any better and wasn't familiar with current accepted styles of transcription, these reports would reach the charts that way. There was very little Q/A there. Experience definitely doesn't necessarily equal quality.

Similar Messages:

Predictions
Mar 15, 2011

Had a discussion with a physician who recently went to EMR.  Their office is now using some sort of point and click system, which he says is working well for them.  I shared with him I am concerned that sort of system is going to put me out of work.  He made the comment that MTs will have a job for maybe another couple of years.  I am curious what everyone else predicts.  How long before we will no longer be needed?    ...

What Are Your Predictions Of Doctors' Reactions
Mar 11, 2010

when starting on March 14 they will start to get more blanks with our comments about why we can't hear their words?  How are we supposed to explain why we can't hear so much in ESL dictation? ...

Predictions For MQ After Indian E-mail
Apr 01, 2011

Predictions, next 2 years for MQ: 1.  Another re-structuring.  Most CCMs will lose their jobs, to include middle management. 2.  All old accounts will stay in U.S. unless directed by hospital to go to India (like what happened to my old accounts), but here is the catch:  India management will push for them to go to India! 3.  All easy work will go to India - no exceptions. 4.  All new accounts will go directly to India and only special docs that the Indian ...

We All Know Better Now, When It Comes To Mergers!
Jun 06, 2010

We now know all too well, either from our own experience, or from the experiences of other MTs we've been reading about here, that mergers DO NOT benefit the MT. They promise us we will still have our jobs.  WE WON'T. They promise us we'll make more money on their spiffy new software.  WE WON'T. They promise us our cpl will not go down.  IT WILL. They promise us the MTs of the purchased company will more work.  WE WILL MOST LIKELY HAVE LESS.  (Or ...

Mergers
Mar 04, 2011

As a current DTS employee and having gone through a merger before, being acquired by MQ from a different company, the merger was not good.  I am hoping that things will be different this go around, but it just does not look promising.  Everything they promised and said would not change did change.  We did not take an actual pay cut, but changing platforms provided their means of a pay cut.  I went from making excellent money a month, to struggling to make even $1000 a month.& ...

Question About Mergers
Jun 07, 2010

Can anybody tell me what companies have merged together? I know about Medquist and Spheris, but I just want to know what other ones there are. thanks ...

IMedX Mergers
Mar 07, 2014

I just want to say how sorry I am for those of you at TT.  This had to have hit you guys like a ton of bricks. iMedX is heavily technology-based.  You will likely not see a lot of changes for a several months (they seem to be in the buying phase) but once the dust settles, I would imagine a significant percentage of their MTs will be gone.    Technology combined with their significant Indian presence, there just simply wont be the need. I'll be really anxious to hear w ...

Anyone Heard Of Any Spheris Mergers Going On?
Dec 15, 2009

Has anyone heard of any shakeups at Spheris?  I heard there is a new guy in charge and all the job postings on their web site have gone away.  I have a friend working there and would like to know of any information so I can tell him. ...

Does Anyone Else Think A New Batch Of Mergers Is In The Works?
Sep 03, 2010

nm ...

Previous Mergers With Nuance (Webmedx, Etc.)
Apr 19, 2012

MTs who worked previously for companies bought out by Nuance I was wondering did any of you work using satellite internet?  If so, what happened when you Nuance took over as Nuance says no satellite?  I use satellite internet so I'm wondering what will happen with Nuance when they take over Transcend.  Initially, I'm sure I would be able to use it, but if the platform is changed, then what?  I'm just wondering should I find another job now that accepts sat. or ...

ImedX Acquisitions/Mergers And Partnerships
Mar 07, 2014

MedTrans Transcription, Greenlight Transcription, TransTech, MedWare, EMTS, PRN Medical Management, FORE Transcription, just to nae a few.  See connect with M*Modal below. M*Modal Integrates its Speech Understanding™ Technology with the iMedX TurboFlow® Software Platform Pittsburgh, PA and Shelton, CT — February 21, 2011 (HIMSS Booth #1637) — M*Modal and iMedX, Inc., a leading healthcare software and services company, today announced a partnership that has created a ...

The Previous Couple Of Transcend Mergers That I Have Read About On Here... Sm
Nov 23, 2009

Have had me feeling as if some of us who have been at Transcend longer were not offered what they have been offering recently, maybe that is why I have seen so many people leave.  It was 8 cents per line for transcribing and 4 cents for VR.  When you cannot make your 900 dollars every two weeks you are then moved to part time, bennies are taken away and you do not get PTO.  I was feeling pretty devalued, but then I thought maybe later on they may tell the new people some excu ...

Skipping The Year 2011
Dec 07, 2010

Apparently this doctor thinks that the new year coming up is 2012.  He has dictated in two separate reports that these patients have procedures scheduled for January 2012 and they are in for their preoperative evaluation now.  Either that or these patients are getting their preoperative evaluation more than a year in advance.  I wish doctors/dictators could be reprimaned for their mistakes.  ...

2011 MT Survey Now Live
Mar 11, 2011

Dear all, I'm pleased to announce that the 2011 MT Survey is now live.  If you remember the 2007 MT Survey, this is a continuation of that (with some changes).  In the previous survey, we received 3800 responses, which culminated in the report MTs on the Radar (you can find it at http://ehealthrecords.wordpress.com/publications/).  We are hoping for another successful survey. So if you are interested in completing the survey, you can go to http://www.medicaltranscriptio ...

Keystrokes 4/25/2011 Ad For 50+ Transcriptionists
May 05, 2011

Anyone heard back from this ad?  I received a letter stating they were reviewing my resume.    ...

Recently Given A 2011 PDR, Keep/sell??
Feb 28, 2012

The doc I work for gave me his 2011 Physicians Desk Reference.  Is that something that would be good refereance material for an MT??? ...

The Tax Loopholes HAVE BEEN CLOSED Effective 2011!!
Aug 26, 2010

The bill has finally passed.  It is not illegal for companies to offshore, it is just not so profitable for them to do so.   ...

Help! Transcend 2011 Payroll Schedule
Dec 30, 2010

I have misplaced my 2011 payroll schedule.  Can somebody tell me if our December pay period ended on 12/28/2010?  For some reason, that sticks in my mind.  Thanks :) ...

NY Suggestion So All MTs Here Achieve Satisfaction In 2011
Jan 02, 2011

It's very simple and I am very serious: 1.  If you are unhappy with how the MT career is changing, unhappy with the new pay (it won't go back up, folks, only down further), unhappy with changes in technolog, etc.:   Do something THIS YEAR to get out of MT work completely.  Don't feel you can venture too far from it?  Do something like coding/billing.  Want to stay in the medical world?  How about LPN or RN?  Dental Hygienist?  HR speci ...

Check Out 2011 Executive Salaries
Aug 13, 2014

Poor Mr. Davenport only earned a little over 3 million.  So sad.  I guess my giving up eating was worth it.   http://www1.salary.com/MMODAL-INC-Executive-Salaries.html ...

Saunders Pharm Word Book 2011 And CD
Nov 11, 2010

I have just used the Saunders Pharm Books for years and not the CD.  I'd love some feedback if you have used the CD and how you like it or even what is your preference regarding drug books.  Thanks! ...

QASAR Back. Also New ADHI Best Practices In 2011
Dec 16, 2010

Here's the link for ADHI Quality Assessment and Best Practices http://www.ahdionline.org/Portals/0/downloads/QABestPracticesJuly2010.pdf or http://tinyurl.com/AHDI-best-practices In this document, they do point out there are valid reasons for blanks. So... if MQ is going to adopt this, we should no longer be punished for valid blanks. They also include standards for dictators and recognize that lack of dictator compliance with these standards is a cause for blanks. Plus, IMO, ...

Would You Still Recommend At-home Medical Transcription, In 2011
Nov 05, 2011

I was trained as a Medical Transcriptionist at a two-year college from 1990 to 1992.  I worked at a hospital for a couple of years doing radiology, non-invasive cardiology, and neurology transcription, then I got married and moved.  Soon thereafter, I started work at a mental health clinic as a Medical Transcriptionist with 12 other transcriptionists.  This was in late 1993 and I am still there as of right now.  The 12 transcriptionists have either left or been laid off over ...

Health Care Employment Up 315,000 Jobs 2011
Jan 06, 2012

New job figures out today: Health care continued to add jobs in December (+23,000); employment in hospitals increased by 10,000. Over the year, health care employment has risen by 315,000. Any increase in health care employment is good for MTs. ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

My New MTSO
Oct 04, 2010

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to post this on. I have a few questions pertaining to my new MTSO business. Any input or advice would be helpful. First of all, I need help with pricing. I charge my clients .12 per 65 character line. I believe that is the going rate for my area. I am wondering what to pay my transcriptionists and editors. I originally thought to pay my transcriptionists .08 per 65 character line and my editors .04 per 65 character line but then I wouldn't be making any pr ...

MTSO?
Oct 24, 2010

Hello Everyone, I have just recently found this board and I have a couple of questions.  I don't know where else to post it, so I hope I've put this on the right forum. What does MTSO mean? Why is there a Medquist specific forum on this board?  Is this site operated by Medquist? Just curious. ...

Does Your MTSO Tell You This And Do You Believe Them?
Mar 31, 2011

"You are a valued team member and we want you to be as successful as possible." ...

MTSO
Jul 19, 2011

If I owned a MTSO company, and if I were monitoring this board in order to glean comments made about my company, and if I were unhappy with what I read, I would do the following:  I would send a company-wide e-mail to my people asking for their input on what I could do to make things better for them and correct the problems aired on this board.   I would realize that there are companies that would make life difficult for MTs who dare to complain about an injustice and that they ne ...

New MTSO
Apr 24, 2013

Simply put...I need help.  I am a single mother.  I am a CMT and been in this lousy business over 20 years.  I have been job hunting out of this business almost a year now with no bites.  I had a dream job but was bought out by M Modal.  I went from abundant work to none on a daily basis.  I am truly struggling.  I know people who work for great companies keep it to themselves, for the fear of over hiring and no work.  I am truly asking for help in seeking ...