A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Almost every paycheck I get is wrong in the owner's favor - ST

Posted: Apr 18, 2014

Has anyone ever dealt with a situation like this? Sometimes it's only a few dollars, other times it can be up to $20-30+ per pay period. Although I keep records of what I do, there is no real way to verify this with my employer. I have sent many emails asking for verification of my pay/production but never even get the courtesy of a response. I keep thinking that if she does this to all of  her employees, she must be making quite a bit of money just by skimming the paychecks of all her MTs.

Yes, I know that the easiest thing would be to get another job. I am working on my exit plan slowly but surely (back in school). In the meantime, any suggestions on how to deal with this? Please no bashing. The situation is bad enough as it is, just looking for some suggestions on how to handle it without identifying myself, at least right now. In addition to my exit plan, when I do quit, I will be reporting her to anyone who will listen.

If you know you're being shorted - how is there no way

[ In Reply To ..]
to verify it? If you are keeping records, you have proof, no? I guess I'm a little confused because you didn't really say how you're supposed to get paid. If you know she owes you money, I would just send a polite, but firm email saying that, according to your records, there seems to be a discrepancy in your pay and would she please reflect the difference in your next pay check. If you're uncomfortable doing that or think you will be ignored, file a complaint anonymously with Wage and Hour at the Department of Labor (if you're an employee). If you're due money, you'll get it. It is likely they will audit her books, and anyone else who has been shorted will get back pay, too.

If you are an IC, you might just have to bite the bullet and ask her for it. You work hard for your money. You're supposed to be paid ALL of what you earned--not just some of it.

Thank you! - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I will definitely file an anonymous complaint with the DOL. Yes, I keep my own records but there is no way to verify it on the owner's end. As I said, emails to the owner go unanswered. I am an employee, not an IC, so I am hopeful that I can get someone or, with any luck, many people interested in auditing her books. Thanks again, MUCH appreciated.

You must work for the same company I do - Depressed

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have the same problem as well as a problem of my hours not being correct. DOL in the state of my employer told me to call the DOL in the state I live in, and the DOL in the state I live in told me to call the DOL in the state where the company is located. :(

You can file a complaint in either state - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

How does your contract define paid lines? (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Gross or character count?
Pay for spaces?
Pay for headings?
Pay for templates?
Any docking per QA?

How are you calculating lines?
Word character count with/without spaces?

Pay - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I am paid by the page and, like I said, I keep track of them. The problem is there is no tracking in her system, so pretty much if I think my pay is wrong, all I have are my personal records of pages I did each day.

I think I worked there too - EXMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I won't say the company name because I know you prefer to keep that under wraps for now. But if it's the same place, when I would question my pay, she just said her figures were correct. If this is the same company, then you are typing a specialty field, not the Big 4. Email me, I'll tell you where I work now so you can apply.
EXMT - ST
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I think you're right, same company. Thanks for the offer to tell me where you work, but this MT job is my last. I'm just finishing up school/training in a new field.

Similar Messages:

Maybe MQ Has Done Us All A Favor
Oct 03, 2011

It's obvious that their objective is to have total control of the industry and buy as many transcription companies as they can.  Just as the employees are not happy about the transition, neither are the hospitals.  Let's hope that they decide to bring back in-house transcriptionists.  I would love to see the day that MQ loses all of their good transcriptionists and begs them to come back.  I, for one, am on my way out and will never come back to this company ag ...

Do Yourselves A Favor
May 04, 2015

We all know MM doesn't give a rat's about the MT. I left a little over a week ago. I looked for a smaller company to work for and found it and couldn't be happier.  When I sent my resignation, it simply said as of this date, I am no longer an employee of the company. My HDSM had the nerve to say I am sorry to hear this, may I ask why (only a week earlier gave me grief about my inactive time, and when I explained about compressed disks in my back and numbness in one fin ...

Favor Please On Email
Jul 17, 2012

Can someone go into their email account and check the extention after your name and just paste it for me please..mine is wrong, apparently not getting all my messages..Mine was still as medquist.. dont feel like talking to tech support.. ...

May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor
Dec 16, 2014

Good luck to all when lines are finally uploaded. I am nervous as heck. I have applied at several other places and tested for a couple. Hopefully I will be out of here soon! ...

I'm Not An MM Employee, But Wondering If Any Of You Could Do Me A Favor
Mar 17, 2013

It would also just be good info to have on the site in general.   Which states have a work availability/NJA/OOW policy that pays up to 4 hours when no work available, besides California?  This is old info from November2012, so not sure if still applicable (or if it's even where the states are listed), but maybe found here?: Log onto MM intranet and go to Departments, Human Resources, Policies, and in lower right-hand column there is a section for HR Policies for MTs. Look i ...

What Does This Mean? MM Owner Will
Aug 16, 2013

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/6/17/mmodal_owner_will_soon_split_from_jpmorgan   M*Modal owner will soon split from JPMorgan Published June 17, 2013 by Geert De Lombaerde JPMorgan Chase officials say they will soon spin out One Equity Partners, the private-equity firm that last year bought M*Modal for $1.1 billion. The firm, which manages $4.5 billion worth of investments, will continue to manage its current portfolio and sell off its ...

Owner Complaints About ICs
May 13, 2011

Is there anywhere on this website that it is appropriate for owners to post about people who have been ICs with your company and you would like others to know about their work quality, etc?  I am just so fed up with we, as the owners, being put down about we did this or that, but we, as the owners, never have a say about the ones we weed out of our company because of work quality, etc.  Just upset and venting...but I would like to know if there is an area to post this information. ...

What Is The Name Of Our Owner From India?
Sep 13, 2011

n/m ...

How Many Of You Have Actually Emailed The Owner
May 18, 2012

of the company you work for and told them you will not put up with things any longer?  Just curious:) ...

SDVOSB Company Owner...
Apr 08, 2015

This should make a handful of VA Hospitals proud! Nothing like handling business matters in the grey bar hotel.  http://www.clerk-17th-flcourts.org/Clerkwebsite/BCCOC2/OdysseyPA/CaseSummary.aspx?CaseID=8033323&hidSearchType=party_case&DisplayCitation=yes&CaseNumber=15003522CF10A&SearchType= ...

Landmark Transcription - The Owner Overhires
Nov 17, 2010

The owner overhires.  She gets very excitated about hiring and runs the business like a hobby.   She is a very nice lady but does not have a clue how to run a business.  This way why the recent pschy position was ignored.  Do not know if it was filled. ...

Tonya Hubley.owner, Omnisribes
May 15, 2013

What is it like working for this woman as an MT, her work ethics.  ...

Owner/pay Rates - Br FORWARDED FROM JOBS BOARD
Jan 19, 2011

This was posted on the jobs board.  Let's get some dialogue going on this, shall we?   owner/pay rates - br Posted: Jan 19th, 2011 - 3:37 pm I own an MT company (used to be a full time MT) and have MTs submitting resumes and requesting pay rates at .10 cpl or more.  There's no way I can pay this rate and still keep my company afloat.  Partly due to the economy, I can't charge my clients very much or else they will drop me and move onto someone else (i.e. In ...

The Small Business Owner Side Of Things
Mar 24, 2014

I received a very sad email from a woman who stated (and I believe her) that she was a former MT with more than 2 decades of experience.  She was upset  at the pay scale listed in an advertisement she saw seeking independent contractors.  I own a very small transcription company which like so many others in our industry struggles to stay afloat.  It's true that wages are not what they once were in the heyday of medical transcription, but neither are the rates that client ...

Medical Data Services? Company Or A Small Owner?
Dec 03, 2010

7 cents a line for independent contracting and for radiology?  What is going on with this business?  The hospitals at least treated us with hourly wages and health benefits.  Now what gives?  For years we fought in-house over knowing that you cannot treat radiology the same and line count it the same either, yet you work just as hard.  Now, 7 cents without taking out taxes?  Every hospital I know has no transcription radiology department any more anyway, so may ...

"Favor Burst Disease"? Hodgkin Patient On ACVD.
Dec 04, 2012

.  ...

What's Wrong With Me??
May 12, 2010

I just got offered a new job with a local transcription company. I'll be making more money, no set hours, get the work done when I want to get it done as long as it is done by the next day.  The interviewer actually looked at me confused saying "if you are getting paid by productivity, why do you have set hours to work?" I had no answer.....anyhoo, the only draw back is that I have to purchase my own equipment....why am I still hesitant to leave MQ? My only explanation I have is after ...

NO PAYCHECK
May 25, 2010

Logged on this morning and NO PAYCHECK deposited or pending.  My CCM is "looking into it".... yeah, okay.  I have NEVER had a problem like this anywhere I have worked... makes me very nervous with all that has been going on here the last few months and the garbage we are getting to type.  My motivation is now GONE this morning.  ...

Here's How I Know Something Is Wrong......
Oct 06, 2010

Okay, so I finally actually got an hour's worth of my "primary" - an account I know like the back of my hand....In the past, I KNOW after working so many years on this account almost EXACTLY how  much I can make in 1 full hour of working nonstop, no interruptions, etc.... So, I did the same hour, same account, and in the past I made about 10 bux more per hour doing this same work.  So something is fishy.  It can't be ALL because of the new DQS 6.1 issues.......I can ...

What Did I Do Wrong?
Dec 19, 2010

I am a new grad and had a phone screen with MedQuist last week. They seemed all gung-ho about hiring me until the phone screen. After that I got an email that said my background did not match their needs. I'm wondering what I did to change things. The only thing I can think of is that I said part time. Maybe they wanted me to say full time??? I am really in need of a job-any job. I was thinking they were going to be my best luck. Now I'm really worried I won't find anything soon ...

What Is Wrong With Me
Jul 09, 2011

I really need feedback on this.  I have been an MT for over 25 years.  I am still pretty young (middle age).  I have nothing wrong with me physically or mentally. Yet, I hate my job!  I have a job with a bigger MTSO, but I am getting less and less in my pay b/c my main account runs out of work often and I get the secondary which is not easy on demographics, and has bad dictators.  This is a job which is an employee job and it looks like my pay is decreasing weekly a ...

I Was So Wrong
Aug 12, 2011

Months ago when I first started researching this line of work I found myself on this forum, and a few others, and I was somewhat put off by the widely negative view of the profession. There was so much complaining about how difficult it was, how meager the compensation is, etc. I thought so many of you were just being pessimistic- to put it politely. I thought to myself, "It's just sitting here typing all day. I do that already! How cool would it be to get payed for it!" And today? Today I ...

Maybe Im Doing Something Wrong,,,am I The Only One?
Nov 20, 2011

OK..So a doctor dictates something, usually it is initials for something like I just had OU tele unit,,what the heck is that??  So me I go searching because I always like to verify things I know I heard them say but personally have never heard of it..That goes for everything drug names, conditions, etc.  Should I just be typing exactly what they say and to heck with it if it is wrong?  Kind of like one boss from an old company said garbage in garbage out??  Im a perfectionist ...

Does This Seem Wrong To You?
Dec 13, 2011

I am currently per-diem with a company that requires per-diems to work 2 holidays a year and we have to phone in to beg for work (0.7 cpl) BUT we are not included in any bonuses or the holiday gift card because we are only per-diems.  We make money for the company and are reimbursed at a pauper's rate with no other benefits but we aren't even included in a tiny holiday gift card.  Feels like a huge slap in the face.  Is it even legal to require a "per-diem" with no guara ...

This Is Just Wrong
Dec 13, 2011

So, I lost my job. First, they went AWOL for 4 work days. I sat at my computer for 8 hours every one of those days, no work, nobody answering me. Finally, they called and said they were terminating employment due to "low line counts".   I found that funny since my line counts improved since the first month of employment, and at my lowest line count during that time, they gave me a raise and said how great I was doing. It was only after I told them to pay me minimum wage that they suddenly ...

I Am NOT WRONG
Mar 01, 2012

First of all, at least 95% of the management that runs KS is ALL family. For being there 9 years, you better check more of your facts, as I know for a fact that there are cousins, nieces, sister-in-law, sisters, brother-in-law, just off the top of my head. If you knew what you were looking for, you CAN find out how much they make. Maybe you should try polishing up your research skills. You can say what you want, but I know better. People can choose to believe me or not believe me; that ...

Just Got Paycheck
Jun 11, 2012

Paycheck!
Jun 25, 2012

Hi All, Well, my hospital was outsourced to Nuance a couple of months back. Of course, I noticed right off what the pay was offered and knew it was going to be low, but since we weren't paid by the line, I had no idea how much lower it was going to turn out to be. In the last couple of months, I have been getting used to their time keeping program and other changes that they have implemented since they took over. I feel like for the last pay period or two I am finally up to what I would ...

No Paycheck Yet
Sep 11, 2012

Last day worked in May and still waiting for last paycheck.  Beware ...

Last Paycheck
Nov 30, 2012

My last day was during the last pay period. I didn't have a deposit for my last paycheck today. Does anyone know if this comes as a regular check by mail or should have been deposited. Thanks. ...