A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

AP lines not adding up? - wondering

Posted: Feb 16, 2015

Has anyone else noticed a significant difference in the lines at AP lately?  I have been busting my butt working as hard as possible and it seems my line counts are way lower than usual (in the 100s lower). 

Yes, I've been experiencing the same thing, but - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought it was all in my head or maybe just bad luck in getting tough reports. Now I'm wondering...

lines - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so glad you posted this. I noticed the same thing last week, Friday. Pulled up the reports I had done that day (before logging out and them being erased) and did the line count in Word to compare. Some of the reports were close, but others looked like they weren't counting spaces. I'm going to keep closer track this week.

Is this for the company with the VA accounts or another company - sm - JavaMT50

[ In Reply To ..]
I am starting with a company (AP) who hires the veteran's administration accounts - thanks.

AP - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that's the same one.
AP lines - wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
I realize since it's a VA company and with the whole WDR pay thing, the actual count may not matter, but I'm wondering why all of a sudden there's such a big difference in the line count. I, too, noticed it started last week.
line counts - mtme
[ In Reply To ..]
Monday looked okay as far as my line counts but the rest of the week was off. I have the spreadsheet I use to keep up with my hours setup to figure my lines/hour, also. Even with the WDR, we were told to make between 190-200 an hour, and if they stop counting spaces, that's going to be harder to do.
Line counts - JuJu
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe with all my heart -- warm feelings about this -- we should be paid by the production minute. I like $1.10/production minute. It's the fairest method of all. Character-line count is outmoded!

Thanks for posting this. I did not realize that Word - had a line count feature.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm going to start using it.

Word line count - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not exact but gets close. You do have to deduct for the headers and footers that are downloaded.
AP Line Counts - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for posting this as well. I think I'll start watching too. Another question, does anyone have a heck of a time just figuring up your hours worked? I always seem to get it wrong but now I'm wondering if it is me or them??
figuring hours - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I have an Excel spreadsheet setup with columns for Start Time and Stop Time repeating across the sheet. At the end, I have a formula setup that totals the time for the day. I also have a column to enter the number of lines from MT Station Pro for the day and then another column with a formula that shows the number of lines/hour for that day. I then have formulas for totals at the bottom, so I can see how I've done for the week as well as figure the lines/hour for the whole week. Took a little while to set up, but well worth it.
I'm confused. How can you get your own hours wrong? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
How do you keep track of your hours? If you do that, your hours must be right. How would your boss know better than you how many hours you worked?
Hours - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
You have to lower your time to meet your line production requirement no matter how many hours you actually worked or risk losing your job. So you lose either way.
How can you lower your hours to meet production? sm - wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
The system shows when your in a job and when you sign it off. There's no way to work "off the clock" without it showing up on the system. So are you all just working extra to make the line count?
hours - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
We turn in hours at the end of the pay period that we keep track of ourselves, which is what they pay us by. They don't go by the time in the system. We only get paid for the time spent typing. The system time would include any time spent proofreading or looking up information to fill in blanks, etc. which we are not paid for.
That is just weird - VAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Now that is a good question to ask the DOL Baltimore branch. That does not sound like AP is following the intent of the law, having you keep separate time sheets and not counting time spent looking up words, and other things typical to the MT job.
Lower hours - JuJu
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe it means work off the clock?

Lower line count today anyone? - apmt2

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay, so I am checking my lines today using word's character count, and I am definitely seeing a difference anywhere from 3 lines to 15 lines difference. Can we rely on Word to be counting correctly or is anyone else using a different software for counting their lines? Has anyone let AP know about this? I'be be curious what their response is too. If it is not an error, I do not know how much longer I can hang on to this job with the steady decline in income.

How will your income decline if you're being paid by the hour? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
income - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They still require us to meet a certain number of lines per hour and if they are cutting out spaces, then we have to type even faster to meet the line/hour requirement or adjust our hours that we turn in for typing down in order to make the line requirement.
Income decline - apmt2
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought are hourly rate was based on the number of lines we do overall. Is this not correct? Appreciate any info if I've misunderstood this.

hourly rate - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The hourly rate is the Wage Determination Rate depending on what location you type for. We are required to type 190-200 lines per hour, but we are paid per hour based on the time you spend typing. We are not paid for doing research, filling in blanks, reading work related e-mails/account specifics, or doing any training that the VA requires.
Check with DOL - VAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't understand why you wouldn't be paid for research etc. That is a normal part of the MT job. This would be a really good question to talk to the Baltimore DOL office about, if that is included in the wage determination.
I don't understand it either. We're only paid for "hands on the keyboard" time. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
dumb question but - dumbMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I forget but does our "unemployment" benefit get paid by hour or by line?
UE benefit - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The only "unemployment" benefit that I'm aware of is the fund that AP pays into for each employee and I think that is done by the hour.
dumbMT - thanks..
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the reply. I could have sworn once they pointedly said it was the last thing to be paid by the line (so if you're a very fast typer, you get that at least). Though I did the math and it didn't add up at all to the amount they claim I made.
DumbMT - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
So you left AP/MT work? Don't think you are dumb!!

yes - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, my counts were closer to what Word counted with no spaces than with spaces. Word doesn't match exactly because we have to take out the headers and I'm not sure how MTSP counts for what we put into the headers, but it gets close.

This really gives me a bad feeling. - disillusioned

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course, I haven't felt the same about AP since we were asked to work for deferred payment a few months ago to bring a certain account up to speed.

Feel the same way - anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been feeling the same way. Funny that this problem with line count comes right after getting new accounts. I wonder if they are trying to switch to save even more and pay less. I sure didn't hear about a raise in the email telling us what a wonderful job we've been doing!! Has anyone else just about decided to leave AP?

re: Feel the same way - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
AP's QA people are wonderful. However, I feel like communication is very poor with AP as far as management is concerned. It would be nice to occasionally hear that we're doing a good job (or even perfunctory acknowledgement during National Medical Transcriptionist Week). The only time we hear anything is when a bunch of jobs are dumped on us and turnaround time is at stake. I am actively looking for another job. Not counting spaces is the last straw for me.
feel the same - mtme
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm right there with you. Things have really changed over the years there. I'm also looking for something outside of MT.

Any word from AP - anonmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Has anyone questioned AP regarding this yet and gotten a response? If this is what they are doing to us now, I'm about done.

AP lines not adding up - Strange

[ In Reply To ..]
I noticed that last week too. Kind of strange because those of us that are new were sent an email stating how to do time sheets and keep track of your typing time that specifically said the program we use automatically counts lines with spaces. Then less than a week later I noticed the change. I actually copied and pasted only the body of the report into another word document to count the lines and was still short. Some are just a few and others are more than 15? I will keep track again this week and certainly let someone know if it keeps up.

not adding up - mtme

[ In Reply To ..]
I did the same thing you did and got the same result. Will definitely keep track this week and see how it looks.

contract - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Did any of you new hires have to sign a contract? My contract is a little outdated. Still we're ICs, right?

Contract - APMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, a contract needs to be signed at the beginning not yearly or anything. No we are not IC - we are statutory employees. They are to take out Federal taxes, Social Security, and Medicare, but not your local state taxes.

me three - APer

[ In Reply To ..]
Me too. Is this even legal to do this w/o notification?

email - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm guessing by now you've received the email from AP concerning the removal of spaces from the line counts and the adjusting of the required line per hour down to 165-175/hour. Not sure what to think about being told after the change started rather than before.

hmm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
probably data mining. Because they didn't inform soon enough, I lost several hours of billable work because I had to adjust my time or else face getting fired.

Me too. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I turned off my timer when I realized I was falling below the minimum and typed reports for free to make it come out right.

Just wondering, did everyone receive this email? - ??

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't received any info regarding this.

Does anyone actually know what the % drop is when going from w/spaces to w/o? - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm wondering if whatever line counts that we were doing before with spaces would equal the same ratio without spaces or if the new minimum may be an increase. To clarify: As a hypothetical situation: If someone were already typing at maximum speed and making the bare minimum with the old line count with spaces, would that same MT, typing at the same rate of speed, be able to make the new minimum?

my limited data - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I sampled some of my reports and they come in 15% to 20% less.
I'm no mathemetician but if VBC is 15-20% less - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
the MT who was typing at maximum speed and making the old minimum now is going to fall short of the new minimum. Am I figuring that right?

It's nice to know how they really feel about their employees - anoniii

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel so valued and respected.

Feel the same-so what do we do now? - aptiredmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Okay so what's next? Do we wait to see what else we will lose this year? I wasn't expecting to have my income go down when we got new accounts? What has everyone decided to do? Leave, stay, shrug, and continue on?
Good question. - disillusioned
[ In Reply To ..]
My income has gone down steadily over the last couple of years. I guess I'll stick with AP until I find something else (hopefully soon and non-MT). Until then, I'll bide my time with the knowledge that my employer does not value my time, skills, or professionalism enough to not undercut my pay. I will keep that in mind the next time they beg for help on an account that is out of turnaround time.
Bonus by the end of year - sadmt
[ In Reply To ..]
So we work hard and we might get a bonus at the end of the year. They asked us to work hard on a backlogged account and expect deferred pay later in the year. I hope I'm not here by the end of the year to find out. On my accounts, the dictators just seem worse every day or maybe it is just me so tired, miserable, and feel unappreciated that I don't care enough to listen. How many vacation days do we get a year? I think I'm ready for one. Wait have they taken that away yet?
backlogged pay - curious
[ In Reply To ..]
Has anyone received anything, a dime even, for work on that backlogged account?
pay - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I only did a couple of reports and got paid for them on the next check.
next up - sarcastic
[ In Reply To ..]
soon, the docking or bonuses for QA utilization will start.

BTW, is anyone going for the "bonus" what ever that takes to achieve. The cherry pickers can line up.
Not me. Have no faith that bonus will materialize. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, not holding my breath on that bonus either. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think AP has already shown us what valued members of the team we are.

not counting spaces??? - zany

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be out of there faster than lightening. How would they like it then if we didn't use the space bar? I can bet you they charge for spaces.

DOL - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Since AP was originally audited by the DOL, we're supposed to me considered employees with hourly pay, which to me means we should be compensated for all our time. I think it's time we each contact the DOL about that and any other questions you might have.

dol - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I called my local DOL. They agreed it should be looked into and said they'd forward it to Baltimore office. Couldn't hurt if more called in.

AP - DOL - vhmt

[ In Reply To ..]
what negativity. In all of my MT years, AP is the best, most fair, compassionate company I have had the pleasure to work for. Many of us are happy and want our job with AP, which I suggest unhappy people should find a new job. Why contact the DOL when you could contact the very approachable owner. Good luck out there.
Thank you.. my feelings exactly!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xx
With all due respect... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
...how does not paying us for spaces equal fair and compassionate? I realize that's the much touted "industry standard" now, but I fail to see what's so fair about it. What about asking us to work now and be paid later to bring a count that's out of turnaround up to date? How about little to no communication with us about what's going on until after changes have already taken place? No recognition during MT Week (I know it's not that big a deal, but it would go a long way in the good will department)? Maybe an "atta girl" (I wouldn't dare to think about being compensated with a bonus) for all the times we've busted our butts to help out on stats or helping to keep an account in turnaround time. It's all the little things like that that have made me see AP in a negative light. Do you really think that by going to the "very approachable owner" that we will somehow then be paid once again for spaces, among other things? I'm glad you're happy, but I'm pretty fed up right now.
I think your anger is being misdirected.. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not happy with all the changes I've seen happen in the MT field. When I first began transcribing I was being paid 0.09 a line with spaces. To see where this field has gone makes me very angry too but it is not AP's fault. I'm sure it's a very competitive market out there especially with VR taking over! AP is an honest and fair company to work for and I will do my part in order to keep my job here. It was totally optional to work on the backlogged account. I look at it as money in the bank. I know they are good for it.
Well, I appreciate your point of view... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
...and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I still maintain that not paying for spaces or for time spent researching is neither fair nor compassionate, regardless of industry standards. I used to feel much like you about this company, but it seems AP is just like all the others, with little regard for their hard-working employees.
add outright lies by the management.. - disappointed
[ In Reply To ..]
Need one example? The Ohio fiasco. We were asked to cut down hours/voluntarily take leave of absence because they overhired.. after they said they weren't hiring. That's just one example, not all is in glaring public. I've had incorrect paychecks too and did lose several billable hours due to this recent change. Do you think I could ask for money back?
have you tried to ask for money back? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
you may actually be pleasantly surprised.
Disappointed as well - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
I too wish I could trust AP. However, last year I had 3 paychecks for the other "company" we work some accounts for that were either late or they simply forgot to pay me. Then, we are asked to work for this company without any pay until later in the year?? Sorry I can't agree with that request. I thought by the "whistleblower's" post from last year too that we would get paid for all work we did. However, I didn't get paid for my time doing the training and of course we all know we don't get it unless we are typing. I'm tired of keeping track of my time separately for the pennies we make. Now, we get new accounts and instead of a reward we get more taken away. I'm just done. At least when I leave perhaps those staying will get more lines. . . that is until they hire more people for all the new accounts.

local DOL - VAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
It sure doesn't hurt to ask DOL about this. Last year there was someone going by the name of Whistleblower that provided a lot of info for all the VA MTs in regards to DOL. I'm positive they said that any work being done, including research, phone calls to the office, any training, were all to be paid. Look up Whistleblower and 2014 in the search window and I'm sure that is all there.

I've thought about doing this, but - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
I think another audit may be the death knell for AP.

Me too but they do so many things wrong - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
For example, did you know that new contracts signed after July 2014 have a higher fringe benefit rate? Doubt we'll see any of that, don't even know the hourly rates on the new accounts (the SCA states that information must be clearly visible in the workplace, an email would be nice...)

Similar Messages:

Rule For Adding A
Mar 24, 2010

Hello. It might just be too early but can someone tell me the rule as to when to add A?  Like the doc says HISTORY: 72-year-old woman who..... Should I be adding A to the beginning? HISTORY:  A 72-year-old...   ...

Adding Disclaimers
Jan 27, 2015

Would it not be simply wonderful if we could put disclaimers in the notes to the client, stating "job done to the best of my ability, however, due to your bad dictator habits, either eating, chewing, talking or answering your cell phone, your dictation is utterly and absolutely a pain in the neck to do because you will not dictate properly and/or will not stop answering your page, and/or you are not even familiar with the patient"!!!!....oh how I would just love to attach a disclaimer to many of ...

Question About Adding RAM To A Laptop
Jan 09, 2012

I have 2 GB of RAM on my laptop and want to add 2 more.  There is an open slot to add it.  My question is do I have to take out the 2 GB already there and replace that too?  I have seen the memory sold in pairs, so they are made by the same manufacturer.  Do both cards have to be the same?  Can I just plug in a card by a different maker than the one already there?  Any help appreciated. ...

Who Is Responsible For Adding The Templates?
Sep 13, 2013

Who is responsible for adding the templates?  I am finding a lot of errors lately in these when I pull them in.  For instance, spacing.  Several, if not many, are only single spaced between the end of a sentence and the next and only 1 space after a colon.  Yet another thing to slow us down.  Got "dinged" for pulling one in and not changing.  I assumed (yes we all know what happens when you assume).  That will never happen again if I can help it.  Also noticing 1 space between state ...

Who Is Adding He Was, She Was To Beginning Of Sentences On Futernet.
Mar 27, 2013

x ...

Benefit Of Adding Shorthand To PC Versus Using Macros?
Feb 05, 2010

What's the benefit of adding Shorthand to PC versus using macros?  How do I add Shorthand.  Do I purchase a program?  Any idea of cost??  Thanks. ...

Line Count Wasn't Quite adding Up
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone felt like their line count wasn't quite adding up to what it should be in the past week or is it just my imagination?       ...

Adding More To My Plate - M Modal, Transtech, Accentus, And/or SoftScript
May 11, 2012

I looked through the archives and found not a lot current about any of these places as far as pay and how the accounts run (straight typing or mostly editing) So I am testing or interviewing with all of them right now to add to my egg basket.  Transtech offered 8.5 cents straight typing and 4.5 for editing, said it would mostly be editing.  I hate editing.  Wanted more straight typing.  Only really good thing I could find was the paying $40 for your internet after 90 days.&n ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

I Get Dinged For Adding "the Or A"
Dec 15, 2014

and I go through back reports to figure out this dictator from heck and someone has elephant stirrups on a GYN report, seriously? ...

About How Many Lines?
Dec 10, 2010

Can anybody that types radiology tell me how on average about how many lines they do an hour or a day?  I am being switched to by the line and have always been paid by the report.  Thanks.  ...

TT Lines?
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone else struggle to get 2000 lines a day with TransTech?  I've been at TT for about 4-1/2 years, but I'm having a hard time getting over 2000 lines a day.  If you get more than 2000 a day in your 8 hours, can you share your tips?   ...

VBC Lines
Mar 19, 2011

Seems like with the industry pretty much switching to VBC lines, we should get a higher line rate.  Like that is going to happen.  Thoughts? ...

150 Lines Per Hr Or ASR 350?
Sep 09, 2011

so I get my offer from MedQuist today after they acquired AllType.  In order to qualify for benefits, I have to type 150 lines per hr or do voice recognition editing at 350 per hr.  I don't know if I can do this.  On a good account, no problem.  But ASR on accounts I have been doing are ridiculous, so many random errors, no way you can skim through them.  Any body out there that consistently gets these line counts every week without working more than 39 hrs per week ...

Why Does QA Take Lines Away From You If...
Jan 08, 2012

you send in a report with a blank?  or even if they think you made an error like with comma placement?  They end up taking three lines away if you leave a blank for a doctor's name that you could not understand or verify!  do all places do this, or just some?  I don't think it is ethical, myself.  but just asking.  ...

My First VR Job....how Many Lines?
Mar 29, 2012

The company that hired me as an IC wants to know how many lines I will agree to produce per day.  This will be my first job as doing voice recognition.  I am clueless.  I know how many lines I can transcribe but this is a totally different ballgame, right?  I do not want to over comit.  How would you suggest I handle this question on their forms?  TIA ...

How Do They Keep Up With VR Lines?
May 21, 2012

When I check to see how many lines I've done today there are none for the work I've done with VR.  How can they tell what I'd done? Do they just guess????????? I'd not be surprised at all. ...

Pay Per Pt Vs Lines
May 23, 2012

i transcribe for a local physician and get paid per patient (and not very much!) instead of by the line.  i've been doing this for a couple of years now and just cannot get used to not being paid by the line.....it's like i just eat, sleep and breathe by the line!!!  and i cannot even get the physician to even try to understand how being paid by the line works.  needless to say, there is a huge discrepancy in pay between per patient and lines and even more so when i' ...

How Many Lines In A Day?
Dec 08, 2012

I am curious as to how many lines on average you do in a day.  Please no posts complaining about lack of work or big bad MTSOs...  I really am just looking for a number and would really like to try to get this info with as little drama as possible.   Thank you :) ...

VR Lines
Jan 29, 2013

Can any large producer out there tell me how many lines they are able to do in voice per hour?  I cannot get past 400 and was wondering if anyone could.   ...

How Many Lines??
May 17, 2013

Seriously, does anyone know how many lines per hour it would take to make a $1400.00 gross paycheck, not counting the "quarterly bonus" figuring my QA score was 99.5... lol!!! I used to know and achieve this back the Webmedx days, right now I have no idea. Thanks! ...

Lines
Dec 09, 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the LPH average has dropped? I am typing more than I was and yet it is still lower significantly?  ...

QT Lines?
Dec 17, 2014

Where are the QT lines that we used to get paid 1 cent for?  I don't see any of that listed on the time card. ...