A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

New IC contract requiring response to e-mails in 5 minutes - indymt

Posted: May 29, 2010

Got a new kind of rudely worded in places contract from company I've been with a little bit.  I don't care about agreeing to 98% on quality audits, or agreeing to provide a certain number of minutes/lines of work a day and specifying which days, or agreeing to 24-hour TAT, but there is a section that we must respond to e-mails or any other form of communication within 5 minutes during active work hours, otherwise without an acceptable excuse (power/internet outage or emergency) after third or fourth violation contract will be terminated.  One of the examples given of an unacceptable excuse "I decided to watch my show and left my computer for an hour, sorry."  Then it goes on to say, "If you are going to be unavailable for more than 5 minutes and might miss that email or phone call, email us and let us know."

Now, we aren't out and out asked to commit to certain work hours , just to indicate days available and how many minutes/lines we can do, but to say that we must answer e-mails within 5 minutes during "active work hours," isn't that pretty much saying you need to be at your computer from 8 to 5 every day?  I'm an IC.... I might go to the store, go for a walk for an hour in the morning, do laundry or clean my bathroom, pick up my kids from school, all which take more than 5 minutes.  This just doesn't seem right.

I'd tell them to stuff it. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

IC - biskie

[ In Reply To ..]
You could try crossing out that part and initialing it and dating it. I have done that with certain things in IC contracts. Also, I have heard that the only thing a company can tell an IC is whether or not they will accept the product you give them and that they should not be dictating any of the details of your work, unless it is a government contract, when i think they can specify that you do not discriminate against employees, etc. So if you are really curious you might want to check with an attorney about whether they are overstepping their boundaries. But I would try the crossing that clause on the contract first, and provide them with a cell phone number where they can reach you in case of emergency...something like that. Good luck.

definition of an IC - kv

[ In Reply To ..]
IRS has clear definition of what an IC is. You set your rate, you choose the type of work you will do, etc. Just google independent contractor or employee, and something should come up. Recently had hospital tell ICs they have to work weekends. A "jerk with perks" sent the email. She's uneducated and probably someone in legal would have stopped her. Just one more piece of info on them. We are not independent contractors if they are telling us when to work.

ic and irs definition - biskie

[ In Reply To ..]
that is so true, KV, and if the crossing out the lines that you don't agree with doesn't work, maybe sending a printout of a googled definition of IC versus employee to your contact would be helpful...and maybe if necessary, a copy to the legal affairs/compliance officer of the hospital (assuming it is a hospital) that you are ICing for....that would probably put a stop to it fast....

''jerk with perks'' - viclee

[ In Reply To ..]
Love that term! LOL.
A perfect description of so many administrative/managerial-type personnel in MTSOs. So funny & so true.

Clarity of IC - Not so clear

[ In Reply To ..]
The IRS offers up GUIDELINES that are open to interpretation by whomever is applying them. It's not clear. It's not concise. It's not uniformly applied.

Very true. They need to be clarified and firmed up to be useful. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

New IC contact 5 minute reply - Lvsummer

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy,that seems to be time interruption so they can e-mail you all the time and make no money so they have to keep interrupting you plus I agree it is not right that they expect that.?

Can you say micromanagement, I knew you could - Not tied to this chair

[ In Reply To ..]
Forget that. Control freaks

I work there also and the 5-minute reply is mainly - also an indymt

[ In Reply To ..]
in regard to them contacting the MT about a STAT dictation that is needed. And, as the OP said, it does say that if you are going to be away from the computer, to let them know. The thing with the the STAT notification is that if they need it and you have it, they can't get in touch with you to send it, they will transcribe it and then you WILL NOT get paid for the lines.

So do we have to let them know when we are going to the bathroom? - indymt

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean, even a bathroom trip depending on -you know- could take more than 5 minutes. I would have understood if the contract was worded such as "If we try tontact you for a stat and you do not respond in 5 minutes, you will lose the lines for that job." Okay, fine. We have then be warned. But it is worded that "failing to answer all emails or other form of communication within 5 minutes" receives the corrective measure, which could be termination as of the third "offense." It's very over the top and I'd really like to know who came up with that.

Timed - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't like to be timed to do anything! I would find something else in your situation with your family.

Curious, have any of you here presented your - concerns to them? sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for this MTSO and have the same problems with it as you all have, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually said anything to them about this? I plan to and kinda hope others do as well rather than just signing it. I feel it's a matter of principle. The language of the documents bothers me, too, especially the part about watching a show or using caller ID.

Similar Messages:

Contract Requiring Transcriptionists To Work For Only One Company
Apr 27, 2010

Does anyone know if it is legal (it could vary from state to state, I know) for a company to require you in their contract to work for no other company?  I have seen this in two different contacts for two different companies in the last few months.  Thanks for any knowledgeable input on this. ...

Requiring Email Response In 5 Min
Jun 01, 2010

Got to thinking about this, wouldn't this be something agreed upon (contract?) before starting with the company?  Otherwise, threatening to fire you for not responding to an email sounds like a ripe labor law violation.  Wrongful termination?  Bait and switch?  Plain unethical.     ...

Have To Vent...good God Enough With The Mass E-mails Every Few Minutes Already...sm
Jan 06, 2011

Just have to vent a little before I go insane.  I'm happy with the current company I'm working for but OMG enough with the constant mass e-mails all day long already!  They copy everybody on everything and it's such a nuisance...can't get into the "zone" at all this way. I want to close down my outlook but can't because we have to be on the lookout for stats...okay...that felt good....back to work and stupid e-mails that do not pertain to me... ...

OOW, Wait 15 Minutes For Response From Supervisor??
Jun 23, 2015

Is this legal?  Just how much do these people want for free?  With all the talk and threats of people turning them in to Department of Labor, I'd think they'd be a little more cautious about all the "FREE" time they expect us to spend.  ...

64 Minutes Of Phone Off The Hook - Not Wasting My Time Listening To The Entire 64 Minutes!
Mar 07, 2014

Only warrants periodic scans. If anyone comes back at me for that, they can listen to 64 minutes of nothing themselves. If the doctor dictated, too bad he did not follow protocol = put the dictation on hold when not dictating or hang up the phone! ...

Wow. I Have Been Clocked In 45 Minutes, And My Inactive Time Shows As 34 Minutes.
May 08, 2013

It appears to be only counting the active time to be the actual time the audio is playing and not all the time I spend in ADT and formatting. Looks like they may be manipulating the figure to ding people "for not actively working" for long periods of time. Hmmm, building another way to fire people? ...

What Is With Most Jobs Requiring XP?
Dec 07, 2011

XP is outdated and no longer available to purchase or supported by Microsoft as per my understanding.  Isn't Windows 7 the norm now?  I can understand not wanting 64-bit systems for their platforms.... but ONLY XP ?? ...

Landmark Now Requiring.....
Apr 09, 2014

....line requirements per hour. Did anyone receive this e-mail this morning? It said she will let us what the requirements actually are forthcoming. I know this is the norm with most MT companies, but one of the reasons why I have stayed with Landmark so long was I could basically name my own quota and own hours. Since this was my secondary job, I could fit it in when I had free time throughout the day. Oh well....not really complaining, just surprised a little. ...

Requiring A Business Name
Mar 11, 2015

I have applied to a transcription company that requires me to register for a business name.  I have been in transcription for 15 years as an independent contractor just with a 1099 and my accountant says that it is not necessary for me to register for a business name.  Does anyone have any information on this.   Thank you. ...

Company Requiring Set Hours For IC
Nov 05, 2014

I thought ICs could not be required to work specific shifts and hours, but one company is dogmatic that they WILL do as they say or hit the road.  The hiring person says that you contract to work specific times, which SHE specifies, not your choice.  Doesn't that make you an employee?  Or am I reading the BOLI laws wrong? ...

Jobs Requiring Windows 7
Feb 23, 2015

In scanning the job wanted board, I noticed that many companies only use and accept Windows 7.  Is this pretty typical?  I have Windows 8.1 so I'm wondering how limiting this will be.   ...

Companies Requiring EHMR - A Question
Sep 05, 2013

So where do you get the experience for this. Is it worth taking some type of course? I love transcription, but the future does not look good. I would love to learn something that would include my experience. Thanks for any info. ...

A Company That I Applied For Is Requiring Business License
Jun 03, 2014

A company that I applied for is requiring that I have myself and/or my company licensed in my municipality as a businessowner before they hire me to work for them as an IC.  I am wondering how do you go about doing this and is this now becoming the "new norm" for working as an IC?  This is the first I have ever heard of such other than having to get an employee identification number through the IRS, which I have already done so.  I contacted my township supervisor and he said he knew nothing ...

Perirectal Tissues Requiring CT S/l (thick Headed Drainage)
Aug 29, 2010

Perirectal tissues requiring CT s/l (thick headed drainage) ...

Anyone Getting MQ E-mails?
Jan 24, 2011

I haven't gotten an e-mail from MQ for a week.  Anyone else hear from them lately?  ...

E Mails
Apr 09, 2013

Is anyone else having problems sending e mails to their supervisors, whatever? No work, now I cant even get my e mails through. I am very upset by all of this. ...

Pt Developed Acute S/l Fleitus Requiring Emergent NG Tube Placement And A 3 Day Stay In The ICU Wher
May 31, 2010

xx ...

Misunderstood In E-mails
Sep 23, 2010

Hi everyone:)  Have you ever felt that your e-mails were completely misunderstood by a supervisor?  Recently, I sent an e-mail explaining myself about something that came up, but the answer I received was totally the opposite of what I had tried to explain, and I just sat here shaking my head, and thinking "what just happened."  It made me look like I had deliberately said something that was untrue and tried to cover myself, which was not what I meant to do.  Rather, I was tr ...

E-mails From Companies...
Jan 26, 2011

happen?  Not that I want any mind you, but sometimes I see that someone mentions they got an E-mail from so-and-so (company).  How did they get your E-mail address?  Are you on some other board or have a resume' out there or something?  I am only curious, like I stated, as I am not so sure I would want to be solicited from a company in my E-mail. ...

Keep Getting E-mails From Spectramedi
Aug 20, 2011

I keep getting e-mails from spectramedi.  I looked at the posts in the archives and there is no good thing about them in there.  I was just wondering if it was worth taking the test. TIA ...

India E-mails
Mar 27, 2012

In reviewing an e-mail to the worldwide team yesterday, they were asked why they were not responding to stat requests. They responded it would be taken care of, and signed off, "Cheers, and let us chill." REALLY????? ...

TTD -Has Amy Answered E-mails
Aug 23, 2012

I think I know the answer to this, but must ask anyway.  Has anyone gotten a response from Amy in the last week.  I responded to her e-mail about checks being re-issued and did not get a reply.  Has anyone received a check i.e. re-issued check?  ty ...

Training E-Mails, Oy Vey
Jun 30, 2013

Just checked and had 22 of them, continuing education, all voluntary and non-compensated?? WTF!?  Yeah, I'll view when I get a chance, sure..... ...

S.O.S. E-mails On Weekends
Dec 15, 2013

Why are we always expected to work extra and catch up on overdue work on the weekends that builds up because there's not enough coverage? Here's an idea:  schedule and/or hire the appropriate number of MTs to cover those two days instead of asking us to make it all better when the weekend panic mode sets in, which is every single weekend lately.  Of course in order to attract weekenders, that would entail actually paying a living wage a ...

HDSM And PC E-Mails
Jan 10, 2014

I used to keep MModal e-mail open all day, but the e-mails have become so negative and downright nasty that I am only checking it now a few times a day.  It is a distraction and demoralizing and effects my work.  Anyone else? ...

Phantom E-mails!
Jan 20, 2014

right board? ...

What The Heck Are All These Ticket E-mails About?
Aug 10, 2010

You have to do the QCare thing when you get NJA.  Then, they send you a ticket number.  Great.  What do you do with the stupid ticket number?  Are you entered in a drawing?  Do they pick random ticket numbers and award the winner some work? Then, days later, you get another e-mail saying it is resolved? What the heck is that about?  Who resolved what?  Did the QCare staff magically send me work?  Do they get some award off of my ticket number for the fast ...

Do You Get Endless E Mails From Your Company All Day?
Oct 08, 2010

It really gets ridiculous.  Some are important and MANY are not.  Some are ridiculous.  You have to read through them all in case there is something important there.  As for the remainder, I wish they would just write 1 e mail at the end of the day covering all the garbage that does not even apply to everyone.  I hold my tongue (or replies) to the rude e mails that are chastizing to just a few MTs, but are sent to everyone.  I wonder how they would like it if ...

Supervisor Ignores My E-mails??
May 11, 2012

I am new to this MTSO so I have occasional questions and have directed them to my supervisor.  Some get answered, many get ignored.  I have asked some more than once.  How frustrating.  I'm not sure how to take this.  I would think it would be to her advantage to answer them as it refers to formatting, etc.  Maybe I should ignore her requests to work extra hours?  How would you handle this?  It really makes me wonder about this company. ...

TTD, Your Recent E-mails Are Quite Comical
Jul 03, 2012

Hey TTD, your recent e-mails are quite comical.  You send out e-mails basically threatening your MTs.  Maybe if you want MTs to work for you and hop on at any time when you need them, you should pay them more than 0.03 per line!  Your pay is laughable and so are your e-mails. ...