A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

capitalization of generic drug after colon - mik

Posted: Jun 05, 2012

can someone tell me if I should capitalize a generic drug name following a colon?

CURRENT MEDICATIONS:  lisinopril 40 mg 1 daily and thyroid supplement.

also, do sentence fragments and one word entries after colons get periods?

I have seen these done in multiple fashion.

Yes and yes. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The medical way of typing sometimes looks weird, but yes, you capitalize after the colon, and unless specified in the profile (rare, sometimes with psychiatric reports) you type a period after a one word entry, like below.

CURRENT MEDICATIONS: Lisinopril 40 mg 1 daily and thyroid supplement.
VITAL SIGNS: Unremarkable.

But.... - SH

[ In Reply To ..]
The samples given in the post above me are correct. The first words should be capitalized because they come after subheadings:

CURRENT MEDICATIONS: Lisinopril 40 mg 1 daily and thyroid supplement.
VITAL SIGNS: Unremarkable.

BUT, if the sentence is in the body of a report, and the word following the colon would NOT normally be capitalized (and is not a complete sentence), then it should not be capitalized.

The patient has been taking 2 medications: lisinopril and thyroid supplement.

The Book of Style: I strongly recommend a copy of this book if you do not have it already!

Similar Messages:

Generic Chemo Drug
Jan 24, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of the generic drug to thrombocytopenia s/l azodactine???  I am researching myself to death here and can't find anything remotely close. Any help appreciated! ...

Drug S/l Fec-ta-vic...pat Has Colon Mets And Liver Tumor
Sep 02, 2010

. ...

Drugs...generic Or Not?
Dec 20, 2010

Ive asked QA this five times to no avail.  Truth is, I'm still not sure why SpellCheck doesn't cover this.  How do we know when I drug has switched over and is now generic and no longer requires capitalization?? I used to depend on Google (at the bottom of the page whether it is capped or not) but QA has bit me a couple times on this and for the life of me, even after researching, cannot find a 100% reliable answer to this question.  As always, thanks in advance! ...

Generic Or Name Brand?
Jan 08, 2011

I've seen both lidocaine and Lidocaine.  Which is correct? Thx in advance!  ...

Question Please..normally I Have Generic Reports
Apr 16, 2012

But I find with the ASR that I kind of let them slide until I run across one of the docs dictating without ASR...Do you all save a generic report for the ASR stuff also? especially the OP reports with your "favorite dictators"   I just started to do it, wondering if I am wasting my time..Always easier to replace the ASR report with an generic I guess. ...

Generic Emails Are Counterproductive BTW
Mar 01, 2015

I cannot express how much I don't want to work when generic emails are sent out. Why not deal with the people not doing what they are supposed to be doing on an individual basis. Maybe it is just me, but that is the adult way to handle things. ...

Is Decanoid Generic? Or Am I Completely Missing Something?
Apr 14, 2015

This sentence:  Father had a history of schizophrenia and was managed by decanoid injections of an antipsychotic medication. Should decanoid be capitalized or is it generic? Any help would be appreciated!   ...

Is There Any Site That Lists Generic Vs Brand Name Drugs?
Nov 07, 2009

nm ...

Hints For Brand Names Vs Generic Drugs
Aug 11, 2011

I was hoping some more experienced MTs could help me with something.  I am struggling with remembering which are brand names and which are generics (so I know to cap them or not).  Is there some trick to this? A website that can quickly (and obviously) tell you?  Perhaps some software you all have? Please, it is driving me crazy and my quality is suffering :(  ...

Colon Use
Nov 02, 2009

Should this be a colon since it is giving a list? She does not recall ever suffering from any developed mental disorders such as: Bed wetting, sleep walking, temper tantrums, or reading disabilities. and does anyone know of a good way to understand if there should be colon use or not?   ...

Colon
Jun 05, 2012

The colon was somewhat "tortuous," which limited the sensitivity examination for detection of small polyps.  Any ideas what that word is? ...

Colon Cancer
Feb 23, 2010

Is it -- Dukes A Duke's A Dukes' A I find it all three ways.  Thanks for any help in clarifying. ...

Colon Or Colons
Dec 19, 2012

GI doc dictates in several reports "right and left colons".  Can't find any reference on what to do in this case, so need help plz.   ...

? Material Left In Colon
Mar 15, 2011

It s/l vegtelant!!! ....poor with large amount of (___) material throughout the colon that could not be suctioned. Any ideas?!  Thanks ...

Colon Cancer Status...
Jul 29, 2011

I can't quite understand this doctor...it sounds like she is describing this patient's colon cancer as "Y-type".  I can't find anything like that anywhere...any help would be soooo appreciated! ...

Colon Resection Word
Jun 21, 2013

Dictated:  "... at which time I performed a colon resection for perforated rectum secondary to a s/l SIR-kir-uhl ulcer." He says it very clearly - not circular, not sacral - but he might be mispronouncing it.     Any help appreciated, thanks!   ...

Now They Are On A Semi-colon Rant
Jul 15, 2014

what the heck...and since when is "it" with no other identifier as to what "it" is, other then the preceding sentence, able to form a complete sentence? ...

There Is No Easy Way In Word To Cap After Colon Is There?
Dec 05, 2014

a word expander like Speed Type would do that?  And can you use Speed Type along with MS Word?  And transfer over all your AutoCorrect entries easily?  I emailed the company but haven't heard from them.  : ( ...

Thickening Of The Distal Colon
Feb 14, 2015

I'm working on an audio from a bariatric surgeon.  He's talking about a woman's abdominal CT and he says "...it looked normal.  She did have some (s/l hostule) thickening of the distal colon..." Any help is most certainly appreciated! ...

Colon Cancer - Diloda Treatment?
Apr 14, 2010

Sounds like Diloda treatment for colon cancer.  Anything?   TIA! ...

History Of S/l ADM In The Proximal Ascending Colon
Sep 27, 2010

I cannot find this abbreviation on Google or in Stedman's.  Full sentence: "History of (s/l "ADM") in his proximal ascending colon with slowly spontaneous oozing." Atypical diabetes mellitus doesn't seem right in this context. ...

Sigmoid Colon Operation Help Needed
Nov 19, 2010

Doing my first op report regarding a sigmoid colon resection. Does anyone know a site that would describe the anatomy in this area? I am hearing things that sound like "mobilizing white line of Toltol"and I am pretty sure it is only going to get more complicated. Help! Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give. ...

Do You Use A Colon With 24-hour Time Or Not? 1600 Or 16:00
Jan 26, 2011

Do you use a colon with 24-hour time or not?  1600 or 16:00 ...

Diverticulum Having The ***classic Man In The Colon*** Sign?...nm Tia
Jan 27, 2011

x ...

Social Or Special Screening Of Colon
Dec 18, 2013

I can't understand if the doctor is saying: Social Screening of Colon or Special Screening of Colon ...

Patient With Colon Cancer Receiving Treatment.
Feb 27, 2010

new dictator for me, very rapid ESL. Dictates that patient will be premedicated with s/l "Loft C" Thanks for any help.  I will probably be asking for more help as I go through this very difficult assignment. ...

What Is The Proper Format For Military Time? I Know No Colon, But...
Mar 24, 2010

shouldn't the word "hours" ALWAYS follow, i.e. 1345 hours? ...

Op Note: Colon Was S/l *socked* To Abdominal Wall Nm
Jul 21, 2011

full context:  There was no evidence of intraabdominal contamination, although the sigmoid colon was socked to the left lateral abdominal wall. Is that right, socked? ...

Colon Surgery S/l Dolphin Stirrups, Can't Verify
Mar 17, 2014

x ...

Need Opinion - When You Hear ACE Bandage, Do You Think Brand Name Or A Generic Bandage
Nov 05, 2010

I have been out-of-town, enjoying being away from Medical Transcription for a few weeks, and upon skimming through the posts that I had missed, I noted that there was recently a discussion on the Word Help Board regarding ACE Bandage and if it should be all caps or not.  The debate seemed to center around whether ACE should be used for “ACE inhibitor” and Ace for “Ace wrap” to avoid confusion.  if you are talking about the original ACE™ wrap or ACE™ ...