A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How long does it take to reach 300 to 400 lph on ASR? sm - mqmt

Posted: Mar 11, 2010

I have been doing this for a month and I still cannot get past about 225 an hour.  I am either doing things wrong in my opinion or this is for the birds and I should just go back to straight typing!  Any help?  Thanks

not going to happen IMO - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
it's not you. ASR is for the birds. Good luck with going back to straight typing. I wish I could.

LPH 300-400 - Jeana

[ In Reply To ..]
Hang in there.. Are you a fast typist. If you are, then editing will double your lines an hour.. I edit at 200 range which I am proud of and it gets better every month. It is new and a learning curve for all. I love it actually. I have been MT for 25 years.

jeana - do you

[ In Reply To ..]
work for MedQuist?

yes I do, nm - mqmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

It Can Be Done - me

[ In Reply To ..]
It can be done. Where I work the standard is 300 lph..so basically we have to meet that requirement. As others have said before it helps if you have a good platform. I usually range 300 to mid 300s depending on the dictators. People who think it's "impossible" are either not experienced or don't have a good platform. It just takes time starting out to get used to it but you'll get there eventually.

I know it can be done, too! - vr gal

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been doing VR for 6 years. I just started with a new company using Express Editor by Dictaphone. The new company has a minimum of 250 lph in VR, but you get 90 days to work up to that. My first week I did 230 lph consistently and after 1-1/2 months at this company, I am easily doing 350 to 400 lph. Once you get the hang of it and do it regularly, it gets easier and easier. Those that say you cannot do 300 or 400 lph are just plain wrong, I do it every day! Good luck and stick with it!!!

vr gal - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
We are talking about MQ here! Hello? Have you ever specifically worked on ASR? Come on!
Speech work - vr gal
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I don't know about MQ, but at my company it is easy to do 300-400 lph. No, I don't work at MQ, but I have done speech for 6 years and know this is possible. My last company was the same thing. I left only because they kept runnig out of work. But I do know speech, so don't tell me I've never worked with it!!!!

The latter... - Malnourished MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...

Depends on how good your speech recognition program is. sm - MT and worn out

[ In Reply To ..]
Your speed depends on how good your speech program is and how well your dictators do or do not mumble, mush, eat, chew, or go to the bathroom.

Where I work our speech recog is a proprietary program from 3M. And for those of you who recognized my nic, you will remember my opinion, IT SUCKS!!!! And that opinion has not changed. It drops words, puts in words that were not spoken. If you mention the same word 5 times, it will give you 5 different variations. Levothyroxine is my biggest bugabooo.

The dictators that make the best candidates for speech recognition that will help you get your speed up are the ones who are really anal. The ones who know where the punctuation is supposed to how and how a sentence is formatted etc. But with that said, sometimes speech recognition will really help when you CAN'T hear a word quite right. Sometimes it will give you the word you were wondering about, and this one less blank you send to QA.

So, if you have clear and concise dictators and you have some program than the one from 3M, you may very well get 300 lph.

This is just my opinion having only worked on one VR program.

ASR line count - MSK

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I've done ASR for MQ (since they introduced it) and am now doing it for a new company.....with MQ I was lucky to avg 150-180 lph. Personally, I think they rolled out the software before they should have....at first, it misspelled so many words you might as well have deleted the entire report and started over (for which you got into trouble). Even though I actually like the DQS platform, I don't think the DQS speech engine is very good. However, MQ has a HUGE amount of ESL physicians (who don't do very well with ASR). Anyway, with the new company and software, I'm finding I can edit the reports much more quickly from an ASR standpoint. Since it is a new account/company, what is bogging me down at this point is learning the new dictators and new specialties, accents, etc. I think every week it will become easier and easier. My company's goal for ASR is 300 lph. At first, that sounded absolutely unbelievable (based on my experience with the Q). At the Q, the minimum for ASR is the same as with straight transcription, either 100 or 150.....and now I know why. Apparently, there are people with my new company that are easily editing over 400 lph!!!! Of course, it doesn't matter how good your speech engine is or the software related to it, there are going to be times when you aren't going to get there....because of difficult dictators, new specialities, unfamiliar terms, etc.

My final thought though in all of this is that if you are an independent contractor, it shouldn't matter how few or how many lines you type or edit per hour as long as you are meeting your contracted total line requirement per day/week. It shouldn't matter to the company you are working for how fast you are....just that you get done what you promised....so if it takes you 3 hours or 20.....that's not their problem as long as you get the work done each day :)

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Else Have Days Where You Just Want To Reach Through
Dec 27, 2009

your monitor and deck a dictator?  I am getting the same 3 or 4 docs, over and over today.  They are all your run-in-the-mill dictators, dictate too fast and slur a bit, but I can usually deal with them and it does not bother me much.  Today, I don't know if it is me or them, but they are just TERRIBLE!  They all seem to be slurring much worse than normal, talking even faster than usual through the entire document, and now they all seem to be yawning and they continue to ...

Ever Wish You Could Reach Through Your Headseat
May 18, 2010

and choke the idiot on the other end?  I have this guy who has spent the last 4 minutes saying, Let me restate that...Go back...Wait..yeah. Uh, no... Let me go back.  Stopped talking for a few seconds and then started almost completely from the beginning.  Then he said, I think I already said that, so don't... THEN to someone else in the room, he says,  Yeah, but if don't, they type it like 5 times.  They probably will anyway. I am so steamed!  Who i ...

If I Could Reach Through The Phone, Id Smack Ya
Jun 19, 2012

x ...

Still Not In...Unable To Reach Server
Nov 11, 2013

NM ...

UNABLE TO REACH THE SERVER
Jun 02, 2015

Any one else? ...

Does Support Have Fewer Hours Now? I Can't Reach Them. NM
Aug 12, 2010

No message ...

Now Telling Me Unable To Reach Sever!!!!!!!!!!
May 14, 2013

nm ...

Good Thing I Can't Reach Through This Computer
Apr 27, 2014

I would strangle this female doc..I HAVE to have 99.7% accuracy and you have to dictate so freaking fast you cannot even give me the courtesy to complete a word much less a sentence..take your report full of blanks..Im done. I refuse to go into the repository and assume you are saying what is in there. Not gonna happen..And Ill keep sending them through until you figure out how to speak and give me some common courtesy. ...

Fluency Down?!? Unable To Reach Server. Anyone Else.
Sep 25, 2014

x ...

Fluency Unable To Reach Server?
May 31, 2015

I know there was scheduled maintenance until 4 a.m. Eastern time.  I'm sick and up at 3 am CST...putting in for downtime!  ...

Anyone Else Having Problems With Fluency? Unable To Reach Server...
Feb 25, 2014

Rec'd error code while working and unable to download and to log out. Now getting message unable to reach server.  System down?  ...

Do Your Fingers Reach In The Manner Described In The Latest Productivity Hint Email?
Oct 15, 2013

I must have much smaller hands, because I cannot reach the keys in the manner described for the right hand. Unfortunately, I already use the other tips and use the right + left hand for shortcuts, and only thing that makes any difference is the quality of the output. I don't use the DQS expander. Can you put heading formatting short cuts in it, i.e., heading + hightlight + Ctl H? I use the old program Short Cut instead. I could put the old style heading formatting codes (/>), but I ...

Advised To "reach Out" To My Performance Coach For Low Line Count.
Sep 04, 2014

I thought they got rid of that position. Our performance coach became our compliance coach. I NEVER had line count issues before I was transferred to this group. My line count soars when I get jobs outside my usual accounts. I actually get better counts when I am in the cesspool. I haven't had an audit in at least a month. Guess I should go back to editing for speed instead of quality until they go back to quality coaches. I should probably quit looking up doctors and location ...

"Unable To Reach Server" When I Log In For Shift
Nov 27, 2014

You're kidding ... right?  :( ...

System Down? "Unable To Reach The Server"
Jan 22, 2015

Reports unable to upload and was forced to exit the program.  Now "unable to reach the server".  Anyone else?   ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

How Long Does It Take.....sm
Mar 26, 2010

Geez!  I was hired by a national last Friday.  It is a full week later, and they haven't even gotten all the paperwork done.  I thought I had completed it all and then they said human resources forgot a few papers.  Well, they have yet to email them to me today.  I thought I would be at least training by now.  It has been a full week.  I mean they still have to install software on my computer, and I still have to train on ES and the account specs.  Ge ...

NJA- How Long Do We Have To Sit Here?
May 31, 2010

My shift was supposed to start at 8, it is now 8:15 and only 1 job has come through.   Can I send my email and be done with it or once a job comes through do I wait another 15 minutes?   ...

How Long Would It Take?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it might take, on average, to type 60 minutes' worth of dictation?  Thank you! ...

Sorry, Rather Long
Nov 21, 2010

This is in the PE section of a consult and the patient is alert but sedated.   ...The neurologic is ( s/l tense) and is intact.  Pulses in the periphery are good.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Sally ...

Why Does It Take So Long?
Mar 08, 2011

Anyone out there notice this?  That it takes twice as long to do an op note anymore in ASR what with all the cutting, pasting, standards, going back to check whether or not to delete headings, blah, blah.  It used to be a cinch to simply bring in one of my standards and make the appropriate changes according to the audio, but now with ASR, it takes twice as long.  I feel like I'm running in place and going nowhere just to make ASR learn something.  It's such a waste ...

How Long
Apr 01, 2011

How long does it take to find a new job with so many people looking for work.  ...

It Has Been A Long Day...
Apr 14, 2011

The patient did some googling and recognized the tightness he was having may have been from a heart attack... Should I capitalize googling?    ...

Need A Job? (long)
Mar 01, 2012

Started working for my current office 7 years ago.  Worked 1 year in the office then needed to work from home so went on contract.  Things were great, plenty of overtime, work as much or as little as I want and still have plenty of time to spend with my family.  After 4 years they could no longer offer me a contract per se, but still had plenty of work so I stayed with them.  Things changed, started having trouble getting my checks on time, sometimes would be becaus ...

How Long Were We Down?
Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember how long we have to be down to get downtime.  Seems like it has to be at least half an hour. ...

How Long Does It Take To Not Be Known As An MT
Jan 24, 2013

I have known where this 'profession' was headed for years; even in the late 1990s I knew. I earned the education that I need with both an associate degree and bachelor's degree (bachelor's degree from Big 10 university) and, still, many people view me as an MT, which we can all agree is not good. I have experience in my new line of work, and I have worked in that field in the past. How long is it really going to take before people do not view me with all the negative stereoty ...

You Know You Have Been Doing MT Too Long When
Apr 07, 2013

you are cleaning out your desk and find a magnetic tape eraser :)   Probably belongs in a museum :) ...

Wow--long Job
May 01, 2013

Edited a job that was 4689 long.  YIKES!  That is the biggest one I have done in a very long, long time.   ...

So Long MM
Mar 15, 2014

I've done my time! On to something else! I can't say my experience here has been terrible, certainly not as bad as some others I have seen, but I just feel it's time to go. Something else presented itself and I took it.  I'll still be checking in on you all once in awhile.  Would like to especially like to wish the potential coders well; I think that's a great opportunity! Wish me luck! ...

How Long Did It Take You To Get Off Of QA?
Dec 01, 2014

I have only been working a couple of months at Nuance and I am just wondering how long it takes to get off of QA and become DSP status.  It feels like QA is nitpicking me to death.  This is the longest I have ever been on QA before.  How long does it generally take to get off of QA.  My last audit was 99.85%.   I cannot seem to get a straight answer from my TSM either... ...