A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Starting at Nuance - Lynn

Posted: Mar 07, 2015

Hi to all. After 18 years as an IC for a large hospital, my hospital will be going with a Dragon product and my contract will be ending soon. 

I start with Nuance in a couple weeks. I've read a lot of negative reviews but I'm looking for some positive news too.  I've got to make this work and I will but just wondering how it is working for them. I've done over 600,000+ lines a year and hope they're going to have that volume for me.  Anyone?  Thanks in advance

As far as volume, they might have it -sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The trend seems to be that a lot of us are running out of work, frequently. There are some people on my account that stated they have not had a full 40 hour week since the summer. They may switch you around accounts to get you enough work or give you several back ups.

My experience with work level:
1. The account I was on with Transcend for several years, the work was drying up. The supervisor had no idea where the work was and I believed her. She had the unfortunate task of calling my teammates to tell us that account was being completely off-shored and we would be assigned to new accounts.

2. New account, I was on this one for about 6-9 months. It went solely to EPIC, contract terminated, etc. Moved to another account. The work dried up rather quickly.

3. New account, I was on this one for 6 months, OOW off and on. That supervisor contacted me to tell me I was on a list of people who was being transferred to new accounts to help even out the work loads/keep us busy. Turned out I would be on a new platform as well.

4. New account, supposedly a large one. There are often times I run out of work. Every other Saturday it seems to happen. The mornings of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are also bad. I work a split shift and Tuesday evening is not uncommon for me to run into an OOW situation.

My opinion is that Nuance is a very large company and they may be able to give you the volume you hope for but it will likely not be on the same account. However, more and more hospitals are using Dragon products, either as a hybrid with some work going to places like Nuance or as a means of meeting their documentation needs exclusively. You could make Nuance work for a while, but I would strongly consider exploring other long-term options that do not include medical transcription as we currently know it.

Good luck. Most accounts are off-shored within weeks of arriving at - Nuance.

[ In Reply To ..]
...so, while you may luck out and get a "steady," it is much more likely you will change regularly to stay in work at all. The specs for these facilities are 25 or more pages, the platforms are slow and VERY labor intensive, many times, and help for issues that arise is NOT to be found.

Recruiters promise the moon and Nuance delivers mud.

Please do NOT come on board without at least finishing EACH post on at LEAST this page to the very bottom. If any of those posts refer you to go to another post on another date, go there too.

We aren't making this stuff up, and the occasional person with something positive to say doesn't hang out here alot. They are FAR too heavily outnumbered or just haven't really gotten hip to the routine quite yet. Romance wears off QUICK, like 6 days, maybe, for most folks. AND, that nice sign on bonus they're promising?

You're much more likely to be taking out a loan for at least that much by the end of your first 6 weeks on FIESA. If you don't know what that is, then they really have blown some smoke your way...

Telling people to run never seems to work so I won't bother you with that.

Starting at Nuance - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I doubt if you'll get that volume of work on a consistent basis and it will be on more than one account, probably more like 5 or 6, for which you will have to learn the account specs on all of them which will take time.

The wages are low. You will be lucky to make 4, maybe 4.5 cents a line; maybe 5, but not right away. The above account specs will make your already low pay suffer tremendously.

QA goes through FIESA to scrutinize your work. You will be watched and marked down like never before....and they do make mistakes. Your pay will be cut further to 3.5 cents per line if you do not meet above a 99% accuracy rate, send more than 10% of your reports to QA (ones that are not your fault also count against you) and/or make the slightest mistake. 3.5 cents per line is the floor. You have to get above all of the three criteria to get more. They cut you no slack for ESL's or that you are doing dictators you have never done before and are not used to. In other words, you make a mistake and your pay gets cut.

Nuance has basically "Wal-Marted" the transcription industry by gobbling up most of the competition, getting the hospitals to outsource to them, probably by saying "we can do it cheaper," and then the hospitals get rid of their transcriptionists for the cheap rate, and the transcriptionists wind up either at Nuance or somewhere else. The somewhere elses also have to cut their pay to a non-living wage to compete with Nuance for any work.

You're basically going to have to get out of the field if you expect to be paid what I think you are making now. There is no way to do that now. I, too, made over $60,000 ten years ago and now less than half. I am basically working for less money than I did 25 years ago. There are never any pay raises and the benefits are either too much money (the medical insurance), or puny, like the vacation (5 days for everything -- holidays, sick and vacation for the first year and 10 days for everything for the next several years after that).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Your best bet will be to just find something else. Even Wal-Mart. At least they are going to be getting raises.

NoWayJose - Nope

[ In Reply To ..]
After reading ongoing posts about Nuance, I am SO HAPPY I do not work for them!

Starting at Nuance - run

[ In Reply To ..]
There is not one positive thing to say about Nuance. Back in Webmedx days, I made over 70,000 a year, now making less than half, and that is for perfection, 100% QA. I can't buy food when my pay is cut by 150 bucks for one bullshit "error."

You state your line count which you believe to be large - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Impressed by your 600,000 or more lines per year. Double check what you earned at the hospital. At Nuance you will be making (at that amount) just over 400.00 a week or just over 20K a year. Compare that to your hospital pay. Cut more than half. Don't be shocked. In addition expect to have to have every comma in place, no blanks, and no pend to QA including difficult dictators you will not understand. Add to the poverty and the high stress the fact that you will have to keep this up with few days off paid, you will have to work holidays that fall on your regular shift and you will run out of work decreasing pay and benefits. Sorry to say you are in for a difficult time. Look elsewhere.

Nuance - Lynn

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't have a problem with the QA, ESL dictators, holidays, etc. As an independent vs an employee, I've never had benefits, paid time off, holidays or weekends off. I've worked 7 days a week for many years chasing the money. It's been a long time since I've had to look for something else and this is where I ended up. Thanks for your input.

Your current line count will not translate to Nuance sm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
At the hospital, you're getting paid for characters and spaces, blank lines, HEADERS AND FOOTERS. Not so here. You are typing for 1 facility now--not so here. Your "rules" are probably common sense and few. Not so here. You will likely end up on an endless treadmill of changing accounts, worktypes, dictators (perhaps never having the same dictator in 2 weeks), with wildly different account specifics, daily changes to the rules, QA wanting to quibble about your punctuation. Oh I could go on all day.

Since you're only looking for "positive news" I have nothing to offer. I'd suggest you try it out and see what a huge downgrade in your lifestyle you'll have with Nuance.

Oh! One suggestion I can make is if you can possibly find another job within your hospital, not necessarily clerical, I mean even working in dietary or housekeeping, take it.

QA nightmare - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
After you have worked for Nuance, please let us know what you think of Nuance's QA. I honestly don't know of a single MT who is okay with how QA operates at this company.

Similar Messages:

What's The Starting Hourly Rate For QA At Nuance?
Apr 16, 2014

x ...

Help Starting
Mar 05, 2010

Hello, I was interested in becoming a MT because I recently became a mom and would like to work from home. Can anyone tell me the best way to get started? Is there a class/ school you recommend? Or is there a book I can study and take a test to get certified? I am financially strapped so which would be the best for me? I currently work in the medical field in the ER as a Doctors Scribe so I have quite a bit of medical terminology. Thanks for your input!  ...

Starting Pay At MQ?
Feb 10, 2011

I just took the lengthy test for Medquist, though I found it pretty easy.   If hired, what can I expect to get paid? ...

Starting Over............
Aug 02, 2013

Has anyone found it incredibly hard to find a job outside the home after working as an IC for a long period of time.  I apply everywhere and never get a call back.  I recently lost my job  as an IC and don't want to even bother with MT work anymore.  I have been spending time online and applying everywhere.  No one wants you to apply in person anymore.  ...

I'm Really Starting To Wonder If
May 05, 2015

Nuance is any better than it's getting around here at MM?  I see they want experienced MTs rather than newbies in one of the ads, so that would sound like they'd expect to have to pay better at least.  I used to think this place was better, but not lately.  Does anyone here work for both currently, or even recently? ...

Starting The Week Off In A Bad Way...
Nov 02, 2009

Two drugs under med list:  s/l peruvian falsa and locaine 1%... ...

Starting New Accts
Jul 01, 2010

I was just wondering how hard is it to find new accounts in order to do medical transcription out of your home?  Just about anyone that I have contacted has the new EMR or they already have someone doing their transcription. ...

Starting Wage ....
Apr 27, 2010

I am considering entering into a MT program with one of the accredited schools, CareerStep.  For those that have went through the CareerStep program, can you tell me (a salary or a range) of what your starting wage is with your first employer? I am looking for responses from MT that are employees not IC.  (I need the health benefits). ...

Anyone Else At Acusis Starting To Wonder If Their
Aug 17, 2010

Are you working harder and longer, only to see your counts going down? What the h___ is going on with this place? ...

Starting At Medquist
Sep 07, 2010

I have a question.  I was hired on at Medquist and was scheduled to start back on August 23.  The radiology account I had been assigned to hadn't gone live yet.  I was then told it would be approximately the second week in September.  Still no word from my supervisor as to a start date for training.  Anyone know of another person on the radiology team I can contact about this.  I have no other names except for my supervisor's name and the name of my recrui ...

Starting Pay At Medquist
Oct 16, 2010

Boy, Medquist is really trying to get my attention! I tested w them prev. but no luck.  Now, I have recd. three voice mails and two emails to get me to retest.  I have a job already for $9.30/hr that I like.  I have read horror stories about Medquist and seasoned employees there having their pay reduced to basically minimal wage. I got taken in by DIT Transcription for 9 weeks, so I am really leery now about being lied to.  What is a good line rate to start out with them if I ...

Starting A Business
Jan 29, 2011

Hi. I am new to MT boards here but wondering about how one would start a home business. I have worked for companies as a subcontractor but wish to advertise for myself and get some work from local doctors on my own. I would likely need a mini transcriber if I have to pick up and drop off tapes, but how does one do it over the internet? Would there be a way to get it through email set up of some kind with audio wav files that they could dictate to and I access it from there and just type and emai ...

For Those Of You Starting Soon With Transcend
Dec 10, 2011

I noticed a few of us are scheduled to start around the same time, December 19, 20, and 21-ish.  For those of you who are supposed to start around that time, have any of you had your software installed yet?  I'm supposed to start on the 20th and have already sent in all my new-hire paperwork but I haven't heard from anyone since then.  I'm just curious if it's still too early to have it installed or if I'm the only one.  In case it makes a difference, ...

I'm Starting To Think I Should Go With Accentus.
Apr 19, 2012

I see they pay 7-10 for ST and 4-6 for editing.  Better than what Nuance pays.  Anyone currently working there?  ...

So, Ok, Starting A New Job And Curious To Know,
Apr 26, 2012

or just that of a few companies out on an anallimb, because after many years in the buisness, this the first time it was asked of me -- to get my IDs witnessed and notarized.  Just wondering what's up with that?  Overprotective or wave of the future?   ...

Starting DQS 7 Today
May 15, 2012

any tricks or tips that would be helpful for starting DQS 7 for the first time.  Is it an easy transition.  A lot of the keys changed.  What is the 1 most important advice you can give me.  thanks so much! ...

Tips For Those Just Starting DQS 7...smg
May 15, 2012

If you don't like those panels on the side of your text screen showing, you can drag the right and left margins of text screen to widen the text screen.  You can also drag the upper and lower margins.    You can enlarge the size of the font and change the style of the font (which only will change it on your end, not the client's end).  I am not in the program right now, but I think it is under Tools at the top, then click on the tabs to see which one has the font ...

Anybody Starting DQS7.1
Aug 18, 2012

Did the training today. Was he speaking Greek?? I don't think I'll ever remember all of that. ...

Starting My Own Business
Aug 28, 2012

I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to start my own business.  I am tired of working for 5 cents a line.  This is below minimum wage.  I did get in touch with Transcription Gear and they gave me a lot of insight on the equipment I would need.  I am looking for info here on what is a fair price per line or page fee and also how to market myself the right way.  Any advice would be appreciated. ...

Starting A New PT IC Position
Sep 01, 2012

I have a full time employee position wtih another company.  Beginning Sept 3, I will start IC for 3 days out of the week for 3-4 hours.  It pays 0.09 cpl with spaces using DocQscribe.  I figure in 3-4 hours  I will probably do 800 lines as I will probably work 3 hours.   Being that it is late in the year, do you think the extra income from Sept to December would make a huge difference in my taxes, or should I send taxes in to the IRS, and will I have to file as self ...

Looking For Advice On Starting My Own MT Biz...
Apr 07, 2013

I'm so tired of working for pennies a line, worried about getting laid off, etc., and want to take control of my own destiny.  SO...I'm looking at trying to get some clients of my own.  I need advice on what I would need to get started. I know I need a business license, a PC of course, got that, business cards, references perhaps, got those. What I really need to know is what is the best way to actually perform the work - do you use old fashioned dictation equipment, tapes, o ...

QA Are Starting To Seem Fishy To Me
Apr 21, 2013

I saw an error today that I just know I would not make.  It was very simple.  I really think there are some spiteful QA people.  They are mad while they are checking these dictations or something.  The things they count off for!! The "mistake" was placing a too instead of a to.  I am super OCD about that. ...

ASR Starting To Text
May 13, 2013

Just typed a report where it was stated "it will be some time before the patient is ready..." ASR put "it will B some time B 4 the patient is ready..." ...

Starting From Scratch
Aug 22, 2013

Hello everyone! I finally made the decision to go to school for either MT or coding. Then I found this site. After all the research from other sources and especially comments on this message board, I am steering towards coding. Since I have absolutely no background in medical, (I'm currently a legal assistant), I was wondering what the thoughts were on someone starting from scratch. I noticed most going to Coding are coming from Transcription. Do I even have a chance? Also, I've seen ...

Mmodal, Starting This New Because The Other
Apr 03, 2014

Trying to keep this clear and concise as possible. I WANT to fight this sweatshop treatment they are giving us. I need some help, like names of lawyers that supposedly handle MModal or have handled them in the past. I have a "Jane Doe" email. If you want, and I suggest you do, set up one for yourself and then email me. Never can be to sure who is who on here. My son is the business school graduate that says this is an unrealistic goal for errors. It is the standard set for factories and it ...

Starting Pay Offer?
Apr 24, 2014

As an experienced MT, would you take a job that started at 7 cpl? I don't know if this is the norm now, but I have interviewed for 5 jobs this week, none of which have offered more than this. One of the jobs sounded great, but I am terrified to take it because of this 7 cpl offer. She said there was no wiggle room, so I can't ask if they'd consider going up a little. I have 10 years of experience and have been at the same job for 8 years.  Other than considering going off on ...

I Think Synernet Is Starting To Come Out Of Their
Jun 16, 2014

tail spin. Their stats are good on VR and they actually called off OT on Sat this week because of less work. Can't say I like VR yet, but seems the pools are getting better. Maybe the worst is past and we are going to go back up again. Lots of work, so can't complain. Still not getting the lines they promised with VR, but willing to keep at it if they don't push too hard. They've been a lot better at thanking and asking too. I think things are looking up. Could change tomorro ...

New Person Starting Out
Jan 19, 2015

I worked in this business over 30 years and my daughter has always had an interest.  She talked to the major school and they told her the starting salary is about 40,000, and that a large proportion pay by the hour.  I told her the truth about the hours and about what she could expect to make with pay going down so much.  I would like some feedback about what new people out of school are seeing as far as the pay now.  It's been a long time since I actually transcribed, I ...

Starting Shift - OOW
Feb 19, 2015

We have been told TSM working with HR to make sure people are consistently meeting standards and how we will be disciplined if we don't.  Great TSM, so am sure this is mandatory wording from above.  We are low on work, they have hired too many people in anticipation of quitters during the new compensation plan and I assume they are now getting ready to "purge the work force".  Heaven help us all.  The real way to make money with this new plan is through production since ...

Really Starting To Hate This Job
May 17, 2015

Honestly don't know how much longer I can hang in here. Close to retirement. Really having a hard time lately, one thing after another after another, its just exhausting. ...