A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Interview for Research Paper - kgm

Posted: Mar 02, 2015

Would anyone be willing to give me a quick interview?  Questions include:  How did you get into field?  Why did this field appeal to you?  Does it meet with your satisfaction?  Years of employment and level of responsibility? 

Input - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]
1. How I got into the field of MT: More than 25 years ago, I worked in a Medical Records Dept. of a hospital. Our Director asked everyone in the department (some 40 people) to cross-train on another job in the department for coverage and I picked medical transcription and received paid on-the-job training by well-experienced women.

2. Why this field appealed to me: Some 25 years ago, we were paid an hourly wage and I found the work very interesting; took me a good three years to feel comfortable doing it. Also, the pay was good. If I did not know a medical word or the meaning of the word, procedure, etc., I researched it and memorized it - again, took a good three years.

Does it meet with my satisfaction: Really not any more because I absolutely loathe voice recognition. Used to like thinking my way through a report; now we are more or less "robots" with nothing really to think about - it's all about speed and productivity - and quality has gone out the window.

Years of employment: 20 years as an executive or administrative secretary; over 25 years as medical transcriptionist.

Many thanks - Kgm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much. Tremendously helpful.

my response - EX-mmodal EX-MT, Never Will Work This Profession A

[ In Reply To ..]
How did you get into field?
I too worked in Medical Records while I was in college. I made friends with girls a little older than me making three times as much as I did transcribing with an incentive program. I liked to type, I was smart, and I begged the Director to train me. I was put in a two year training program at a top notch oncology hospital.

Why did this field appeal to you?

Pretty much answered above. But what drove the appeal was the natural progression of in-house going to outsource to small MTSO, work from home, tapes delivered in the a.m. and picked up 24 hours later and I set my own schedule. In the early 1990s, I easily made over 50,000 a year, set my own schedule and loved it (although self-employment tax was a bitch)

Does it meet with your satisfaction? Absolutely no longer. Years ago I tried to rally this primarily female profession as I saw the BRIGHT NEON WRITING ON THE WALL, as the small MTSOs were gobbled up by larger MTSOs and then those were gobbled up by Software companies (which is exactly what Mmodal, Nuance, et al are...tech companies..NOT medical transcription companies)...in any case, I tried to rally women it was time to form collective bargaining groups and women being women..and I am sorry here..but are stupid and refuse to stand up for their own worth. So MTSOs (really software companies) still raking in fees for providing transcribed reports because much to their frustration, VR is way off what they thought it would be by now and they STILL have to put up with..as they see it..a bunch of middle-aged frumpy typists to correct the horrendous reports. They zero respect for the talent and skill it takes to interpret a complex medical report (although I could be up to speed inside a week to manage their company)

Years of employment and level of responsibility? I worked as an MT for over 20 years. I had no desire to go into management, especially with the way these companies are run and the revolving door of middle management, QAs, etc.

I happily took my vast medical knowledge and made it work in the non-clinical medical field in another profession.

research input - rock bottom

[ In Reply To ..]
Started in 1975 at a teaching hospital. Trained myself with a Dorland's dictionary and a lot of previous experience in other areas (nurse aide, etc and Latin and Greek in English course in college. Way way long before internet. Read extensively.

Pay was decent, turnaround time was reasonable. Overtime was at times ridiculous because very very few people knew how to do this and it was at that time all on the job training, pretty much train yourself.

Quit in 1987 for another career, audiology, which I like better, but there are no jobs around here and I bought a house which is now 25% under water.

Started back in 2005 online. Worked for a great company. They were bought by a bigger company who knew nothing at all about transcription whatsoever. They sold to another company at which point I worked for the long distance telephone company of the Philippines. They ran the company into the ground, ran off all the accounts, we ran out of work, I jumped ship to another small company.

Loved it. All onshore (United States Transcriptionists only). High quality work, fairly good pay. Nice place to work.

That company was bought by another mega MTSO. Then came the slide down into sweat shop existence. This company knows absolutely nothing at all whatsoever about transcription. Nothing. They know a lot about software, but not enough to make it work right. Their goal is to get rid of the people and have machines do all the work. To that end, they have hired way more administration to get more production out of the few people producing. To put it bluntly, they are so top heavy (2/3 administration, 1/3 production) that they cannot get the production completed within the required guidelines as stated in the contracts. So, I suspect they will soon be losing accounts. (Exactly what the previous company did that no longer exists).

I used to love this work. Taking pride, making sure my reports were top notch. At one hospital I worked at back in the 1980s, some doctors would look see who did the document and if the initials were mine, they would simply sign it, knowing that if there was anything wrong, I would leave a blank, draw to their attention.

What has happened to the field is that The large MTSOs think that their software is great, their speech recognition is superb, and their audio file conversions are studio quality.

Not. Not. and Not. Therefore, the quality suffers miserably. The MLS spend excessive amounts of time on poor to very poor quality audio files, pulling down production. That is what I mean by this company knows absolutely nothing about transcription. It is 99% good audio quality, and the 1% qualified MLS that makes it right.

So to fund their software, this year I took a $700 per month pay cut. I now make in 2015 what I made in 1980 so that they can have their software programs, their administration, and money cover their fines when the work is not returned in time.

Within the next 15 years, there will not be many MLS left. At that time, the bean counters will have realized what a very serious mistake it was to have providers doing their own reports (lawsuits after lawsuits will happen, I absolutely guarantee it). Then, the whole field will be revamped to bring back the MLS, have real people at least checking reports to avoid the mega lawsuits. But we will all be retired. The younger ones will have moved on to more lucrative fields.

It was a nice field. You cannot make a living at it now. You can make better money in fast food or general clerk. Good enough job to get you medical insurance but that is about it now.

We have auditors who decide minor errors like putting in the word an or leaving out the word an are so critical that patient safety is at risk and the patient might be harmed or could actually have died by this 'error.' The purpose of that is just to reduce our pay to minimum wage.

We also have software programs that don't save our work, and 'errors' are attributed to us, when the software did not save the changes we made.

This is what happens when companies who know nothing whatsoever about transcription start doing transcription.

Very similar response to Dotts'. - MUPpuppy. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Only differences: Worked as a secretary at a rehab center for about 5 years. MTing was part of the job. Moved onto full-time acute MTing thereafter (25+ years).

I love (and am good at), typing, researching medical/science-y things, and medical terminology. And I got paid well to do all that. Truly enjoyed my job back then.

It no longer satisfying to me. The fun of researching is frowned upon. Dotts is spot on: "...it's all about speed and productivity," and being robots.

Some answers: - Feral MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Q: How did you get into field?
A: I pretty much stumbled into it back in 1975. I was bouncing from job to job, not really finding a "fit". Didn't like office politics, or having to work with chauvinistic male salesmen all the time. Someone I knew who did MT let me come into her office at the hospital and try to transcribe a couple of reports. I obviously didn't know what I was doing, but I liked it. So I went to night school for a semester and got a job at a very small MT service (only about 10 transcribers) in 1976.

Q: Why did this field appeal to you?
A: It appealed to me because it was something I was naturally good at. I was also kind of shy back in the '70s (I later outgrew that!), so liked working with cassette tapes instead of face-to-face with the public. Also, back then there was lots of job security. I knew I could move anywhere in the country, and I would find work easily.

Q: Does it meet with your satisfaction?
A: It did from 1976 through about 1993. Pay kept going up, job security was still there, and my work was respected by the places I worked. Unfortunately, after 1993, an HMO had taken over our hospital, our job became more specialized and pigeonholed into just one thing - transcription. No more secretarial duties. The HMO was constantly looking to cut costs, and during the next decade, MT went from being a secure, non-stress job to being very insecure and stressful. When we all got laid off and outsourced, and I ended up working for an MTSO (could no longer find in-house work anywhere), the pay dropped so sharply that I went from being a self-sufficient, middle-class, white-collar worker to being poor and on county assistance.

Q: Years of employment and level of responsibility?
A: Total years of being an MT, at various types of MT jobs: 37 years. The highest level of responsibility was when the MT job was still called a "medical secretary". I was responsible for all the transcription in my department, all the Dictaphones in the department (monitoring, repair and upkeep), various files of studies some of the physicians did, meeting minutes from the department, light phone work, manuscript typing, and transport of patient charts throughout the hospital.

Eventually it became strictly transcription, nothing else. In order to continue to do manuscripts and papers for the doctors, I had to do it on the sly, on my own time, and they had to pay me directly. Finally, as the employee of an MTSO, we went to speech recognition, and I no longer even transcribed. I just sat and watched a little red cursor move as I listed to dictation, occasionally typing in a comma, a period, an "and" or a "the". They called this numbing boredom "editing".

Finally, last year even editing went away, the work dried up entirely, and I and all of the MTs where I worked were laid off. I'm still unemployed.

kgm last I knew was a COM in the Nuance food chain - wonder if there are two?

[ In Reply To ..]
That would be an odd coincidence.

Similar Messages:

Sticky Paper
Feb 08, 2010

We lost our paper supplier for full sticky sheets with the easy peel margin (Formtec brand).  Does anyone have a lead on a supplier?  We were getting it for about 38/box for 212 sheets.  I can find full sheets on the net, but nothing with that type of margin or price?  TIA.  T. ...

Help - Looking For Contact Paper
Jan 20, 2011

Does anybody know where to purchase 8-1/2 x 11 white contact paper.  I am starting a new account that wants their chart note printed on this paper, and I cannot seem to find it anywhere.  Thanks for the help. ...

Paper Shredder
Feb 25, 2011

I need to know if anyone knows of a real heavy duty industrial shredder that won't break down after a year.  I work for a private doctor's office and need to shred thousands of papers after I finish the reports. ...

Anyone Received Their Paper W-2 Yet?
Jan 26, 2012

I know they are not required to mail them until the 31st, but has anyone received their paper W-2 yet?  TIA ...

Paper Checks
Jan 12, 2015

So quick question - first check for Friday's payday was a paper check.  Still haven't received it.  How long have you guys waited for paper checks before?  Usually have direct deposit so this is a new experience for me :) ...

Doing A Little Research Here
Nov 16, 2010

Wondering if shift differential is a common thing for radiology MTs.  Any rad MTs out there get it?  If so, what hour of the evening/night does it kick in? ...

Research Tip
Jul 29, 2011

Which search engine do you find most effective for finding words? Please share your favorites!! ...

Should Have Done Some Research
Nov 11, 2012

WOW.  I wish I had done my homework before accepting even a PT position with this company.  To date, paperwork in, but nothing for a few days now.  After accepting this PT position I happened upon this forum and have already started looking for a new job.  I am supposed to start with Nuance in a week working 7-11 pm CST.  Not ideal hours but I guess what they had available.  Been in the business for almost 15 years and have never heard so much negative about one pla ...

Article In My Paper Today About MT Course...
Feb 21, 2010

There's an article today in my hometown newspaper from an area community college about its MT course, about how MTs are needed for VR, how they make $34,000 a year, and how you can work at home.  I just wanted to puke. Of course the goal is to get gullible people to sign up for their course, hoping they don't bother to research it too closely.... ...

Student Doing A Paper On Coding - Help
Apr 09, 2011

Hi all. I am doing a career exploration paper on medical coding. I need some interesting facts about medical coding. Can anyone explain how the ICD came about? Any other interesting facts would be appreciated! ...

No More Paper Check Stubs
Sep 28, 2012

I want my own stub mailed to me... Jerks. ...

M*MODAL COMMENTS IN TN PAPER
Mar 21, 2014

M*Modal participates in the market where pricing has dropped by 35% below what M*Modal needs to sustain. M*Modal has heavy cost structure with debt load and G&A which will prevent it from being cost effective in Transcription Out-sourcing market. M*Modal has also pursued a technology solution model similar to Nuance where clinical documentation review/edit/accuracy function is being transitioned to physicians using Fluency by M*Modal and Dragon 360 by Nuance. The ineffectiveness of this app ...

Looking For Research Resources
Dec 01, 2010

I am looking for a resource where I could plug in the symptoms and perhaps come up with a diagnosis or name of a condition.  There must be a site like this by now--a Dr. Google, if you will. Does anybody know of such a thing? ...

Research Shows - MTs Are Better!
Oct 10, 2011

We've always known it, but now the medical research is bearing out the same truth: MTs are more accurate than speech recognition. I try to keep track of studies like this; they're good ammunition! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21940580     ...

How Come MM Can't Pay Us For Looking Up And Typing Research
Jun 27, 2013

The acct I am on, we have "free text cc's." you have to go into a seperate website, search the doc data base for the name and then type that info on the report. You know how long that takes?  This acct I am on has 20 pages of rules.. I did not ask to be put on this acct, I was switched over and now am on 100% QA as I entered a DOS incorrectly.  Can you say fed up with this for minimum wage?? It is just too much. Retirement is looking thank the Lord. ...

MT Market Research
Oct 15, 2013

Hey everyone, I'm doing some market research on transcription and was wondering if you might be able to give me some pointers? Firstly I'm trying to figure out who the biggest players are and I've come up with Nuance and M*Modal. These seem to be by far the biggest, but I've also found some smaller companies like Presyce, Superior Global Solutions, TransTech, Acusis and MedScribe - are there any others I'm missing? I'm also looking at the pricing these companies ...

Scams Are Everywhere, Please Research And Think Very
Feb 12, 2014

That can't be posted or emphasized enough.  Whatever job posting seems good, research it and double check everything before sending a resume with all your personal information. Do NOT EVER accept any checks  (especially written for large sums)  from any companies to purchase anything -  that should be nothing but common sense.  People, you're broke now, and desperate for a job, but how much more broke are you going to be if you fall for these types of iden ...

Research Tips?
Mar 24, 2015

What are your favorite research tips? Any suggestions on how you cut down research time and increase productivity? I need to get my productivity up, seriously! Would appreciate any suggestions to that end, thanks! ...

Ortho: S/l Paper And Pen Plate Bottoms
Feb 14, 2013

Talking about limitations of use of extremity. Sounds like pen and paper plate or site bottoms? Thanks! ...

AHIMA Article On Transition From Paper To EHR
Mar 19, 2013

I read in: http://library.ahima.org/xpedio/groups/public/documents/ahima/bok1_048635.hcsp?dDocName=bok1_048635 About EHR and the need to review file room staffing and need to reduce or redefine staff as the record becomes fully electronic, and consider work queues that are built into electronic record systems that will drive HIM staff members' work for the day (e.g., verbal orders that are not signed, transcriptions, etc.). What I am asking the coding forum today is,  Are coder ...

FYI - Extra Research Now Required
Mar 16, 2010

For all that do not want to do the extra research to fill in the blanks cuz it takes too much time, too much effort, losing money trying to get it all done to help your qa submission rate I'd like to welcome you to what we as QA/MME have been doing for 3 cpl ....all of that research and more.  Now maybe some MTs (not all) will stop throwing QA under the bus and realize what we've had to do all this time for 3 cpl.  Thank you and have a nice day. ...

Pick Research Solutions
Jul 13, 2013

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of a company called Pick Research Solutions.  It looks like they are paying 1 dollar per audio minute, and I have never done audio minutes before.  It looks like the job I would be doing is transcribing one-on-one telephone interviews at about 45 minutes in length.  I really don't know how long it would take me to do it, but I do know that I type 80+ words per minute, but more importantly, the question is if anyone h ...

I Did Some Research And It Looks Like The Indian MT's Make
Sep 06, 2013

about $3.00 an hour!!  That's working for Nuance.  ...

First Paycheck - Is It Direct Deposit Or Paper Check?
Nov 09, 2009

Used to be if you made change of bank account, the first one was paper and then DD kicked in.  Anyone know>? ...

Paper Check Versus Direct Deposit
Dec 11, 2009

I just signed up for direct deposit but I didn't get paid yesterday like I was supposed to.  How long does it take for a paper check to arrive in the mail?  ...

For A School Paper: What Are Hospitals Paying For In-house MTs Currently? Sm
Jun 28, 2013

I have to compare 20 or more hospitals in different parts of the country. I only need the state, not the city or name of the hospital. I am supposed to list the hourly rate and if there is an incentive plan. I know that these jobs are getting more and more rare, and I know that I probably won't be able to get one, but I really want to get a good grade on this paper, and I don't know where else to ask. Thank you in advance. ...

Do Any Of You Use Sticky Paper To Print Chart Notes?
Jul 23, 2013

I am beginning to transcribe for a new local physician.  I've been an MT for 20 years, have had my own clients & have worked for the nationals - but I've never printed onto sticky paper.  The office manager gave me a whole pack of it.  It has 11 perforated sections from top to bottom, with about a 1-inch margin on right and left. Is there some sort of a template for Microsoft word that will print correctly onto each section? I don't see a name brand on the pac ...

New Cutting Edge Paper Medical Chart!
Dec 04, 2014

It's satire, and yet so true.. ...

Good Drug Research Sites?
Apr 27, 2012

Hi all. I'm wondering what sites are your favorite for drug researching? The main issue right now is a sentence that has me wondering. It says: "The patient has no known allergy for the s/l listed." I've never heard it put that way before. He must be talking about the meds the patient usually takes, but, if he's been taking them, of course he has no allergies to them! This is a separate sentence as I have it in caps. Do you need anything else? I have tried looking up anything tha ...

Compensation For Research, Proofing, And Demos?
Dec 11, 2012

So I guess that was just legal boilerplate for CYA, since there were no pay changes for EditScript.  Like what we're paid per line automatically includes enough "extra" to cover for these duties, supposedly.  "Base Pay Program Philosophy .... Compensates for all time spent typing and editing reports; to include researching, proofing, and demographics" (I always screenshot these conferences/presentations, since we never get any written/e-mail followup that includes all the ...