A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical Transcription Online Schools - ttulip2326

Posted: Apr 26, 2011

I attended a seminar last night for an online medical transcription school.  The school providing the information was At-Home Professions out of Ft. Collins, CO.  After doing some research I have found that they may not give as intense of a schooling as others.  Can anyone give advice on this and/or which schools would provide a better education?

Ttulip2326 - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
As an MTSO, I would say Andrews or MTEC. I have never been able to hire a grad from AHP that could do the job. Many have trouble and many have requested refunds from that school. Do your research. MT school is not cheap, but if this is the path you truly wish to pursue, I still say Andrews is the place to go. There are many posts dealing with this very subject so poke around and delve in. :)

ttulip2326 - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
My best advice is to RUN FAR AWAY from AHP! Don't waste your money. Talk to the recruiters at M-TEC and/or Andrews. Competition is extremely tough in our profession these days, and you need to be able to hit the ground running when you graduate. AHP leaves much to be desired (and many MTSOs will not hire their grads--sad but true). Andrews and M-TEC are the cream of the crop. Remember, this is as much of an investment as is a mortgage; you are doing the right thing by checking everything out. The key thing to look for is whether a school uses the SUM program (which is the gold standard) and whether it has real, live instructors instead of an answer key, etc. Good luck to you!

At-Home Professions - Char

[ In Reply To ..]
ttulip2326
5 years ago I attended a seminar for At-Home Professions at a locol hotel. At the time I had been in retail pharmacy as a tech for 26 years. I soon thereafter,started this course. Along with my busy schedule of working and raising 2 children, I was able to complete this course within a matter of 6 months in the convenience of my own home at my leisure. I graduated this course in Nov 2006. Within 3 months, by Feb 2007 I was able to find a job working in this field with nothing more than my past reputation in pharmacy and my At-Home Professions Certificate. Four years later, I am still enjoying the freedom of my job, working at home when I am able, on my own schedule, and making a better living than I was after 27 years in pharmacy....I would highly recommend At-Home Professions and have recommended them to friends and family in the past and will continue to do so. At-Home Professions gave me freedom to make a decent living from the comfort of my own home and best of all at my own convenience....No more stress for me!!!!

Similar Messages:

Online Schools For Transcription
Aug 04, 2012

I have been an MT for 4 years now and actually completed all my training at a local technical college.  Now, I find myself in a position to mentor some young Military Spouses regarding medical transcription and what online schools would be the better choice for completing a MT certification. I am not that familiar with the online options, so I was hoping to hear the good, the bad, and yes even the ugly about what is out there.  Our spouses have funding of around $4000 and ...

Online Schools For Transcription Courses
Jan 28, 2013

Can anyone here recommend a good online school... where I can take a Medical Transcriptionist Course... and actually get a job when I am finished the course???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! ...

What Are The Best Schools For THOROUGH Medical Transcription Training?
Mar 27, 2011

I'm researching to find out which is the best online school to choose for medical transcription training.  I want to do the training right the first time, so I want to make sure I choose the right one.  They all seem to claim to be the top in the country and to have the most successful graduates.  I don't mind paying for what I'm getting, but I want to make sure I'm not paying for fluff.  I was hoping to get some insight from those who have already be ...

Medical Transcription Schools Are Over Priced
Sep 08, 2011

Why are those overpriced MT schools allowed to post ads on this website stating MTs can make up to $60,000, when we all know that is one BIG FAT LIE - not even close! ...

Medical Transcription Schools CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec
Jan 19, 2010

3 schools were recommended, CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec, not sure which one to go with.  The tuition goes from $1875-$4975, I am curious why such a huge difference and what is the normal time frame for training.  Some say a 4 month program, a 6 month program & a 9 month program.  Any info is appreciated! Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other? ...

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

Tips On Creating An Online Medical Transcription Resume?
Nov 03, 2010

Can anyone give me tips on creating an online resume?  My first impression is important for this since I can't be there in person...Any help would be appreciated.  I am retired from my career, but took a course in medical billing and medical transcription so I could work from home in a rural area.  I have limited MT experience (1 year at a large company) but want to expand my workload a bit.  Help! ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

MT Online Schools
Apr 23, 2010

Hello im newly interested to getting certified as an MT and wanting to know about the Online schools that i can trust.   And if this career pays well and is worth getting into ???  Thanks for any input i do appreciate it. ...

Online Schools
Dec 07, 2010

I am interested in becoming a medical transcriptionist. I was wondering what online school you would recommend. Two that I saw that was interesting was FutureMT and CareerStep. I want to make sure I pick a good school so i can get a good foundation.Also how long did it take for you to finish school? I heard between 3-6 months. Thanks ...

Good Online Schools
Oct 12, 2011

Are there any schools/courses that I could take online for coding that would enable me to pass the CCS and CPC exams? ...

Online MT Courses/schools
Feb 19, 2012

As a current medical profressional I would like to make a career change and take an MT course. Does anyone have any advice as to what to look for in a school? ...

Expert Opinions On Online Schools Please
Jan 07, 2015

I need some expert opinions please on online schools for both coding and billing courses for my daughter. She is looking into Andrews, Keiser, Rasmussen and Ashworth. We do understand these are separate courses, billing and coding. She is leaning toward Keiser University because they offer financial aid and assistance, however it is expensive. We have read the excellent reviews about Andrews but worry about no financial aid such as grants or student loans. Any help or opinions would be greatly a ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

What Allied Medical Schools Told Me... Is THIS True?
May 12, 2010

A representative from Allied Medical Schools told me this:   Our program is designed to prepare you for not only the career, but also for the AAPC’s CPC-A exam which is the first certification you can obtain as a new medical coder. The AHIMA certification requires a degree program that usually takes about 2 years to complete and to pursue that, you must already have your CPC-A certification. Some employers may ask for a AHIMA cert but there are plenty of employers that do not and th ...

Free Online Medical Dictionary?
Jun 03, 2011

I was told I need to download a new medical spell checker for my computer.  Problem is, Stedman's cost $100, and I simply do not have that right now.  Are there any good, professional, reliable FREE online medical spell checkers out there to download?  Thanks! ...

Accredited And Reputable Transcription Schools...
Apr 02, 2011

What is the best Online MT school?  I am currently doing alot of research on schools for MT and am finding that there are TONS of options and I am getting confused as to what is an isn't important.  I've been told to check accreditation on both the ahdionline.org website and the chea.org.  However, not all schools are listed on both sites... This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a certain school that they recommend?  Currently I have a Bachelors of Scie ...

Patient Medical Records Online Is Making News On NBC Sunday At 11
Feb 13, 2010

I have seen where our local news station in Richmond, VA is going to be covering a news story about patient medical records online on Sunday at 11:00 p.m.  The actual story caption advertised is:  "Patient Medical Records Online - What Happens Will Make You Sick." Oh yeah, it's about time.  I know not everyone will have this on NBC but you can access this story afterwards on the NBC Channel 12 website.  It will be interesting to see how this is covered and whether ...

Online College/university That Offers Certified Medical Coding/billing?
Aug 03, 2010

What are some of the best online college/university that offers certified medical coding/billing? ...

Online Transcription Course
Nov 15, 2014

I need input on which is the best online transcription course available for a newbie. I do have a history of 10 years work in radiology but have been out of the field for about 6 years and now am basically starting over since I am not a CMT.  I have looked @ CanScribe and CareerStep, any opionions on these two? Thank you for any information you can provide....   ...

Yahoo News "India's Medical Schools Plagued With Fraud"
Jun 18, 2015

A commenter said that to work in the US, the foreign doctor has to intern in the States.  I have to research if that is true.  Anyone know? ...

Medical Jobs Online Posting On Jobs Board
Dec 09, 2013

Kind of wondering if this last job posting on the jobs board might be associated with one of those "you pay us to find you a job" type of organization.  I googled Medical Jobs Online and found nothing stating that are a legitimate MTSO :( ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

What Is HB Medical Transcription???
Mar 06, 2010

I've been in the medical transcription industry for 16 years and dont have any clue what HB medical transcription is. There is a job posted which has been filled, but I for the life of me cannot figure that out, unless it is hispanic/bilingual.  Can someone help me out!  ...

VLC Medical Transcription
Jul 24, 2010

Does anyone know if the Virtual Learning Center still exists?  I am not getting any responses to emails to them.  The website has changed since the last time I looked at it.  Also, I thought they were supposed to be the third best of the top three medical transcription companies to learn from.  If they are not, who is?  ...