A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical transcription schools CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec - lisa

Posted: Jan 19, 2010

3 schools were recommended, CareerStep, Andrews & M-Tec, not sure which one to go with.  The tuition goes from $1875-$4975, I am curious why such a huge difference and what is the normal time frame for training.  Some say a 4 month program, a 6 month program & a 9 month program.  Any info is appreciated! Can anyone recommend one of these schools over the other?

MT Schools - Jess

[ In Reply To ..]
You may want to look at Fayetteville Technical Community College. They have a partnership with Career Step and the costs is much cheaper while getting the same package as Career Steps Platinum. They offer it in 2 parts for $175.00 each and the certificate you receive is from Career Step since you are using their program. Each part is 16 weeks each. You can find all the information on the FTCC website. Good luck to you!

Jess - Luna

[ In Reply To ..]
This looks very interesting. Is the FTCC course in any way not as good as enrolling directly with Career Step?

Fayetteville Technical Community College - Nan

[ In Reply To ..]
Could you tell me a bit more about this?
It sounds like a great deal considering how many MT services seem to partner with Career Step and will not hire unless a person has graduated from Career Step. I went to www.faytechcc.edu and could not find anything relating to medical transcription.

Thanks

FTCC - Luna

[ In Reply To ..]
I found the website at http://www.ftccmedonline.com/

MT Schools - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm currently taking the Andrews course, and I highly recommend it. I'm in the final module of the course. I already had several years of MT experience before I started the course. I wanted to increase my skills and knowledge and become a better MT.

I can work on the course at home when it's convenient for me. I don't need to be online at any specific time.

The course is designed for people with no MT experience, so it starts from scratch and covers everything you need to know.

The tuition includes CDs to transcribe and several reference books.

The first 2 modules of the course include quizzes on medical terminology in various specialties.

In all 3 modules of the course, you will do a lot of transcribing in various specialties.

One CD is devoted to dictation by people whose native language is not English.

The course emphasizes grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

In the final module, the course introduces you to a text expander.

The school has message boards where teachers and students can communicate with each other. You can also email the school with any questions.

The teachers and students are very helpful and supportive. The teachers give very clear feedback when they grade your assignments.

The course is self-paced, but there are deadlines to complete each assignment.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

MT Schools - lisa

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes thank you so much that does help! How long is the program at Andrews?

MT Schools - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
As I stated, the course is self-paced. According to the Andrews Web site, "It takes most students about one year to complete the program, although some take a little longer." I started the course in January 2009, and I expect to finish in February or maybe March.

I want to emphasize something. Don't rush through the course! Your goal should not be to finish the course as fast as you can. Your goal should be to learn everything as thoroughly as possible and get the best grades you can get. Take as much time as you need while still meeting your deadlines.
andrews - kimba2
[ In Reply To ..]
Just one thing about Andrew's. It is a great program, however you have to test to get into it. It's not terribly hard or anything, but your typing and basic grammar MUST be up to a certain level, just FYI :)As far as how fast it'll take you, just depends on you. transcription is not as easy as it seems, it's fun, but kinda hard. Point being you MUST get in the practice. My school told me strait up, if you aren't transcribing at a 98% accuracy by time I graduate, you WON'T get hired. Also, really look into this field and see if it's truly worth investing in. If I knew then what I know now, I personally might have not moved forward with it. Best of luck!!
Andrews - Martina
[ In Reply To ..]
Not quite true. Andrews graduated one student who still does not know how to touch type, so typing is not an issue.

Best Bet on Schools - Martina

[ In Reply To ..]
Of the three schools you mentioned, all of them give decent education. However, there is one school that is far superior to them all, and that school is MTEC.

Let it be known that I am not an MTEC graduate. I did graduate from Andrews, and I found that while you can get a halfway decent education, there are a lot of issues with Andrews that are not commonly or publicly discussed that makes Andrews one school to avoid.

Investigate the curriculum and also investigate the books issued by all the schools. You'll find out quickly that MTEC offers the best deal by far. Also, the fact that MTEC is owned by Webmedx, a well-known and highly sought after MTSO should be a prime consideration in selecting MTEC nowadays. Any edge in landing that first job is worth it.

There are no live online classes, per se, with Andrews as you would have with MTEC. You are essentially discouraged from networking; don't talk to other students (why?). There is no feedback on your lessons. You only have to send them in to their secretary to have them check that they've been done. The only feedback you'll get is on the assessments, and sometimes the only place to learn a specific issue is on the assessment; therefore, you will be penalized in your grades for not knowing what you do not know and should have been taught BEFORE being tested on. Not a good scenario and certainly not a fair one. The only contact you'll have with instructors is via email, and the responses can range from informative to condescending, "teaching" you to avoid contact with them.

MTEC is the best bet for an online school. Period.

Best Bet on Schools - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
"There are no live online classes, per se, with Andrews as you would have with MTEC."

Do the live online classes require you to participate at specific times? To me, that would be a bad thing. One of the things I like about Andrews is that I can work when it's convenient for me without a set schedule.

"You are essentially discouraged from networking; don't talk to other students (why?)."

I have never been discouraged from networking. I have never been told not to talk to other students. The school has message boards specifically for students to communicate with each other.

"There is no feedback on your lessons. You only have to send them in to their secretary to have them check that they've been done. The only feedback you'll get is on the assessments, and sometimes the only place to learn a specific issue is on the assessment; therefore, you will be penalized in your grades for not knowing what you do not know and should have been taught BEFORE being tested on. Not a good scenario and certainly not a fair one."

I agree. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Andrews, this is how it works. The transcription portion of the course consists of "practices" and "assessments." When you do the practices, you type a lot of reports. Then you proofread your transcript against the "transcript key," which is the transcript provided on the CD. The problem is the key does not always agree with the style of Andrews. In other words, just because you make your transcript conform to the key does not necessarily mean it will be correct according to Andrews. The school tells you their style takes priority over the key. I think it would be more helpful if the practices could be examined by a teacher and returned to the student with corrections but not graded. When you do the assessments, you type a few reports, and there is no key. Assessments are graded. I think Martina has a good point.

"The only contact you'll have with instructors is via email, and the responses can range from informative to condescending, 'teaching' you to avoid contact with them."

The only contact I _need_ with my instructors is email. I don't need to speak to them in person or by telephone. There was only 1 time when I needed to email a teacher with a question, and I received a very prompt and very helpful reply.

M-Tec's online classes just to clarify - In case you wondered

[ In Reply To ..]
"Do the live online classes require you to participate at specific times? To me, that would be a bad thing. One of the things I like about Andrews is that I can work when it's convenient for me without a set schedule."

Their online classes are at set times but they are NOT mandatory. The class about all different kinds of MT topics is on Monday nights and the technology class is alternating Wed and Thur afternoons. If you miss a class that you were interested in you can go and read the whole lecture online as they post the class chat later on the student learning center.

"I think it would be more helpful if the practices could be examined by a teacher and returned to the student with corrections but not graded. (Talking about Andrews)"

At M-Tec you do submit some practice dictations here and there for review (ungraded) and my instructor gives me footnotes on all of my errors and questions that have to be returned to her so the instructor in fact knows that you researched the errors and know the right way, she also is helpful by giving pointers and tips for weak areas, and says encouraging words when the work is good. So it's nice that some reports are looked over and addressed directly without being put towards the GPA before your actual tests.

How do you know MTEC is so much better?. - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
If you graduated from Andrews, how do you know so much about MTEC? And if it's so much better, why didn't you take the MTEC course?

No, M-TEC is no longer the best . . . when it was - sold by Susan and Kathy it

[ In Reply To ..]
immediately began going down the drain. The time to complete the program has been shortened by half, and the cost has been drastically increased to $5000!!!

Plus, now many MTSOs will no longer waive their 2-year experience requirement for M-TEC grads.

The program is not what it once was. Andrews is now number one without question.

No one can make this judgement until Grads from the new program - Join the workforce...

[ In Reply To ..]
So let's all stop making assumptions. Andrew's may be cheaper and students have a longer time to complete the course but NO ONE knows if the quality of the grads is no longer good because of the new program. These grads might be just as educated and find jobs, or they might not but no one knows this unless they have the psychic ability to see the future. I think people need to stop with the hating on M-Tec until they know for sure it doesn't produce properly educated grads, and again NO ONE will know this until a bunch of these new program grads join the workforce or begin to test for jobs.
I don't think it's "hating on M-Tec" to tell what has - happened to the program
[ In Reply To ..]
Unfortunately, it is true that many MTSOs will no longer waive the experience requirement. It's just a fact. Not hate involved. In fact, personally I find what has happened to M-TEC to be very sad.

M-TEC? Not anymore, read the latest posts...nm - .

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

knowing what you do not know - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
You said at Andrews "you will be penalized in your grades for not knowing what you do not know and should have been taught BEFORE being tested on". Well, I'm an M-Tec grad and I can tell you it happens there, too. The answer keys for our practice were often incorrect, and no one checks your practices. When I caught a mistake, I would email my teacher, who either ignored me or said "It's just practice, it doesn't matter!" Then on every single test I took I missed at least one thing because I did what I learned in the practices and only later found out it was wrong.

M-Tec may once have been a good school. Personally, I had a horrible time there, couldn't get help from half the people I contacted, I barely finished, and despite a decent GPA no one in the MT field cares what I went to M-Tec.

I say this constantly, but I mean it: I advise anyone looking to go to M-Tec to get into the MT field to try another occupation. I mean it.

wow, that's gross, most probably true - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Yes, completely true. The sad thing is . . . - Another M-TEC grad
[ In Reply To ..]
no one seems to care that the keys are wrong. As the other poster mentioned, you only find out when you get marked down on a test. Plus, M-TEC staff and instructors seem to care even less now that the school has been sold, the program lenght decreased and the price raised up outrageously.

Plus the companies that once valued M-TEC grads and even waived experience requirements for them are now requiring the same of them as everyone else. New grads are crying for jobs . . . and not getting them.

The word on the "MT streets" is that M-TEC will soon go under - unfortunately not soon enough, and way too many unsuspecting people will fork over a cool $5000 and never be able to get a job.
I'm glad to hear someone else - ggmt
[ In Reply To ..]
say the same thing. That said, I'm NOT glad you went through the same problems I did at M-Tec! Wouldn't wish it on anyone. Unfortunately, all of us had to deal with the keys and other issues.

Similar Messages:

Pls Share Opinions On Schools Andrews, Meditech And CareerStep
May 03, 2012

No msg. ...

What Are The Best Schools For THOROUGH Medical Transcription Training?
Mar 27, 2011

I'm researching to find out which is the best online school to choose for medical transcription training.  I want to do the training right the first time, so I want to make sure I choose the right one.  They all seem to claim to be the top in the country and to have the most successful graduates.  I don't mind paying for what I'm getting, but I want to make sure I'm not paying for fluff.  I was hoping to get some insight from those who have already be ...

Medical Transcription Online Schools
Apr 26, 2011

I attended a seminar last night for an online medical transcription school.  The school providing the information was At-Home Professions out of Ft. Collins, CO.  After doing some research I have found that they may not give as intense of a schooling as others.  Can anyone give advice on this and/or which schools would provide a better education? ...

Medical Transcription Schools Are Over Priced
Sep 08, 2011

Why are those overpriced MT schools allowed to post ads on this website stating MTs can make up to $60,000, when we all know that is one BIG FAT LIE - not even close! ...

CareerStep Very Andrews
May 27, 2015

Is there anyone who has any experience with CareerStep and Andrews.  From what I have read there is supposed to be more of an Advantage to CareerStep.  Has anyone else heard this?  Andrews will work with you on a payment plan but if you are missing out on something important what good is it.  Anyone who has actually gone through either program?  If so how long did it take to finish, how long to find a job, and how prepared were you for the job? I am just not sure w ...

Are Andrews, MTec And CareerStep Still Considered The Top 3?
Dec 28, 2011

Just a general question and it seems that these are the top three as far as offering the best education and preparedness for certification.  Enrolling has me a bit nervous, so I want to make sure I'm getting my money's (and time's) worth. TIA!!! ...

Coding Schools - Andrews
Jul 14, 2011

In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Andrews. I went through their medical transcription training course and did very well with my job search. Based on my training at Andrews, I have not had a problem with employment tests, passing the RMT and CMT, etc., and with the coding program, as long as I study hard  and do the assignments, I believe that I will have the same experience. Based on the excellent training I received at Andrews, I am beginning to go through the coding course. The ...

AHIMA Or Andrews? Arent These Two Schools Both EQUAL?
May 16, 2010

I would think the AHIMA would be a great place to take the medical coding classes.  They are the ones giving the certification examination and certification. I dont hear many people enrolled in AHIMA Cluster Program for Medical Coding. I wonder why? seems so many people go off this board and then follow along. ...

Coding Schools - Do Hospitals Respect Andrews?
Nov 17, 2011

I know Andrews is the school recommended for MT training, but is it equally recommended for coding school?  I'm looking into community colleges, etc., but wanted to check into online schools as well.  Do hospitals respect Andrews as much as they would a community college degree for coding? ...

Coding Schools--online Or Local Community College? Andrews Or M-TEC?
Mar 24, 2013

Hi - I am struggling with what to do, somebody please help! I have read that Andrews and M-TEC are the best schools online.  I am just concerned that I won't do well without hands on learning in a classroom?  I could really use some advice from some people who have done the coding courses through these places? Which is the best, and how does it work exactly?  Thanks ...

Medical Coding Schools
Jun 06, 2012

I have been researching schools & certifications for coding and getting a bit overwhelmed! I have pretty much decided on an online course but now to decide which one? From reading the forums i hear Andrews college is pretty good but this will cost $3800 and take about a yr. Another option i have is thru Ivy Tech which will be covered by FAFSA grant. I also checked into the classes directly thru AAPC. Is anyone familiar with any of these online classes that could give me some input? I am lean ...

What Allied Medical Schools Told Me... Is THIS True?
May 12, 2010

A representative from Allied Medical Schools told me this:   Our program is designed to prepare you for not only the career, but also for the AAPC’s CPC-A exam which is the first certification you can obtain as a new medical coder. The AHIMA certification requires a degree program that usually takes about 2 years to complete and to pursue that, you must already have your CPC-A certification. Some employers may ask for a AHIMA cert but there are plenty of employers that do not and th ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Online Schools For Transcription
Aug 04, 2012

I have been an MT for 4 years now and actually completed all my training at a local technical college.  Now, I find myself in a position to mentor some young Military Spouses regarding medical transcription and what online schools would be the better choice for completing a MT certification. I am not that familiar with the online options, so I was hoping to hear the good, the bad, and yes even the ugly about what is out there.  Our spouses have funding of around $4000 and ...

Has Anyone Taken The Andrews Medical Billing Course?
Dec 15, 2013

I just wanted to know if anyone has taken the aforementioned course and gotten a job? Just curious. Or even if you are in the process of taking it and have some advice or encouragement that would be welcomed as well. Thanks!! ...

Accredited And Reputable Transcription Schools...
Apr 02, 2011

What is the best Online MT school?  I am currently doing alot of research on schools for MT and am finding that there are TONS of options and I am getting confused as to what is an isn't important.  I've been told to check accreditation on both the ahdionline.org website and the chea.org.  However, not all schools are listed on both sites... This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a certain school that they recommend?  Currently I have a Bachelors of Scie ...

Online Schools For Transcription Courses
Jan 28, 2013

Can anyone here recommend a good online school... where I can take a Medical Transcriptionist Course... and actually get a job when I am finished the course???  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!! ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Andrews Medical Admin Asst
Jan 04, 2015

Different Deb here (not Deb0515). I'm on the fence about this course. It would likely help me move from MT (now unemployed) into a medical office job. Just about all medical admins need to know a lot about insurance and it's possible Andrews covers this well. OTH, the course looks like it contains a lot of modules that I've got under my belt just from transcription. Not only that, I don't need classes in communication and how to act at work. Is anyone enrolled in this and wou ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

Yahoo News "India's Medical Schools Plagued With Fraud"
Jun 18, 2015

A commenter said that to work in the US, the foreign doctor has to intern in the States.  I have to research if that is true.  Anyone know? ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Info On August Medical Transcription Or Transcription South
May 29, 2013

I have found a few things on these companies but was looking to find a little more in depth information from past or current employees. ...

Prn Military Transcription/prn Medical Transcription
Jun 25, 2014

Anyone hear from them yet?  Over 1100 views, that means a billion resumes. ...

CareerStep
Aug 26, 2010

I just graduated from a school last month for medical transcription but feel like I'm not fully prepared and I'm not having any luck with employment or testing. I was thinking about enrolling in careerstep because I heard good things about them. Does anybody have any experience with them? Did you find employment afterwards and were you prepared well? Thank you. ...

Offshore Transcription Stories Wanted- Medical Malpractice Cases Related To Offshore Transcription M
Oct 15, 2009

A legal contact was inquiring about the connection of medical mistakes related to off-shored transcription mistakes.  I have told him to review these boards and hopefully he will benefit from the information here.  While he did not discuss the exact case, I think that he will be able to use the off-shore transcription issue to his client's benefit or at least highlight that the provider in question does not have as rigorous control on processing records as other pr ...

Are Any Of U Careerstep.com Graduates?
Nov 01, 2009

I am about 2 weeks away from the final and would take any advise on the final, the job search and any other great advise you can give me. I am hoping to work from home to take care of my son. Good companies, bad companies? how is the pay for new graduates? ...

Anyone Who Took CareerStep Class
Nov 09, 2009

A friend of mine is taking the CareerStep class for MT (although I tried to talk her out of it).  Anyway she is in the transcription part, and using the disks that were supplied with the course.  How did you listen to and transcribe from this.  She put the disk in the disk drive of her computer, but there is no way to start/stop the dictation, etc. and I believe it would be very frustrating.  Or are we both missing something?  Did you use expresscribe or something and do ...

CareerStep Is A Little Less Costly
Sep 15, 2012

but in my state, am not sure Unemp is going to pay for it because it is not located in my state.  There were colleges offering it where I could have gotten some financial assistance; however, some are not offering it this year.  Odd, because it seems in demand (?) but NYS Unemp is pushing their tech schools, only none offer distance learning. The one college that was offering evening classes, just stopped offering the medical reimbursement course. Just can't get exactly what i ne ...

CareerStep Or AAPC
Feb 08, 2015

I know this question has been asked in the past, but most replies are 3-4 years old.  Looking at both programs, anybody taken either course?  Which would be the better of the two?  Also has anyone who has graduated from the CareerStep program gained employment with IOD? Thank you for your input! ...