A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT training - want to return to transcription - Suze

Posted: Feb 08, 2011

Hi there!!  I was a medical transcriptionist eons ago - learned on an IBM Selectric typewriter while listening to a dictaphone machine.  I was quite good, if I may say so myself.  However, lots of years have gone by, I became an EMT, then an LPN, but now I'm retired.  I want to return to transcription and need the advice of experienced MTs.  It seems smart to take a course online but I really don't know which course you all would recommend.  HELP!!  I need the most comprehensive, cost effective way to re-enter the field.  Any input?  Thanks you guys!

MT training - a1typist

[ In Reply To ..]
Run as fast in the opposite direction. We are swiftly becoming dinosaurs. Most of the work is done offshore in India or the Phillipines, etc, and what is left here is the inaudible crud for the most part. Furthermore, 95% of the work I do for a major national MTSO is voice recognition editing, which pays half of what straight transcription pays. To add injury to insult we are paid half of what we made 10 years ago. I would run in the opposite direction if I were you!!! Just one girl's opinion.

I agree with above - former MT

[ In Reply To ..]
The above poster hit it right on the head. MT is a dying profession, at least here in the U.S. Find something else to do, maybe consider coding.

I agree with the other two posters. This is no profession you want to be a part of in any way. sm - LTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I made more money 10 years ago than I do now. Back in the days of the IBM Selectrics (and I even did transcription from those vinyl belts!), there was a certain amount of respect for what we did. That is certainly not the case now.

If you just need a little supplemental income, I'd go work at Penneys or something. At least you'd get an employee discount. :-)

Don't listen to all the negatives... - MT from IBM age

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it would be a perfect job for a retired person, especially since you have some experience. It's not like you need to make a living with it, just extra money. Yes, the big companies do not pay much and some send work overseas, but keep in mind there are small services that do not advertise much that are great to work for and pay well. On the Main Board tonight, someone is discussing the small company she works for and there are many other, you just have to dig around and research to find them. Even if you work for a large company at 8 cents per line or lower, it's still extra money and you will be using your previous MT skills. Again, it's a great job for retirement as it can be part-time, you can take your job with you if you travel, and it keeps your brain active...very important they say.
The best online course to take is the SUM course, but hopefully others can suggest some too.

I agree with MT from IBM age - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with MT from IBM age. I have been in this field for many, many years. To be sure, I do not make the big bucks I used to make, but I still pull down a respectable $35/hour average. Not bad for this time, place, and economy. And she is right--there are many wonderful small companies. The big nationals will chew you up and spit you out, but there are some fine smaller companies out there. As to schools, I think that Andrews is tops, M-TEC has some sort of refresher course, I think. I would avoid any of the "institutes" and such that advertise in the women's magazines. Good luck to you! I do not think MT is doing to die. It is going to change/is changing, and for those who can be flexible, there is still plenty of money to be made.

I agree - waxy

[ In Reply To ..]
I still do pretty good and have plenty of work and I give God the glory.
waxy - AA
[ In Reply To ..]
To God be the glory, amen.
Waxy - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
MT has been very good to me. I have had to roll with the changes through the years (many of which I have not liked), but I have always considered MT to be a gift from God. It has enabled me to provide for my family and even in today's MT world and economy, I still make about 40K a year part time, so I will not complain at that. I think that one of the key things for me was to get with a good small company. I worked for two huge nationals and it was sheer torture.

You've got me worried! - Just Starting

[ In Reply To ..]
All of you guys are really getting me worried. I decided to change careers after 27 years in the executive field. Just finished a class through Allied Medical School. Am I doomed for ever finding a job because that's where I took my courses? What have employers found out about this place that might make me unemployable?
How It Works - In General
[ In Reply To ..]
The employers used to interview and test anyone who applied to work with them. Over the years they discovered that applicants who had never experienced certain types of work were unable to do well, so they started requiring that kind of experience, either on-the-job or while in school.

Then they discovered that there were schools that gave something similar to an "Introduction To Medical Transcription" rather than teaching the students to transcribe. The trouble was, they didn't tell the students that they were only getting an "Introduction To" course and they thought (still think) they are getting a good education. That's when the employers started refusing to even spend time interviewing, testing, and grading tests from graduates of schools they already know don't teach the skills those employers want in an MT.

I am speaking in general here and not about any specific school. The employers know specifically which ones work for them and which ones aren't teaching enough or if what they are teaching is incorrect to the point where it harms the student more than helps. There are still schools that are in that category as well.
Just Starting - Old Pro
[ In Reply To ..]
JMO, but you need to get into a better, more comprehensive school that concentrates heavily on the SUM program. I would recommend either Andrews or M-TEC. And yes, it is true, MTSOs do have a list of schools from which they will not hire. The list varies from MTSO to MTSO, but you can count on certain schools generally being on them. I myself have never been impressed by Allied. Just my own opinion.

Agreed - Positive MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I still make good money too. I stay far away from the nationals and only work for small companies. I've gotten hired for two jobs in the last month and have worked for another for 3 years so right now I have 3 jobs and I make $20+ an hour for all of them, along with a flexible schedule (I work when I want).

There is someone on the classifieds board selling the SUM program so if all you need is a refresher, I would maybe look into purchasing that. I don't think you need to go through a whole program with your medical background and having done this previously.

MT Training - Ingrid

[ In Reply To ..]
I took my medical transcription training online with Career Step. They are one of the top leading schools out there right now and are AHDI approved. You can check them out at: http://referral.careerstep.com/ref13573

They are having a Valentine's promotion right now in which you can save 15% off your tuition. Check them out and see.

Similar Messages:

Return To Transcription
Nov 29, 2011

I have been away from transcription for 2 years, but have 10 years experience before that.  I am looking to return and would love any advice on ways to brush up on transcription without having to pay for expensive courses.  Also, any companies that would be willing to hire in this situation.  Thanks! ...

How Hard Will It Be To Return To Medical Transcription?
Jun 17, 2010

I'm not exactly new to the field, I transcribed clinic reports for 3 years.  After I graduated from MT school (Andrews), I ended up taking a job with a local medical transcription business.  Due to some health problems and also the owner subsequently running the business into the ground, I have been away from transcription for nearly a year.  How hard will it be to find a job after a year away from the field?  Do I have to start over as a new MT?  Thanks. ...

What Are The Best Schools For THOROUGH Medical Transcription Training?
Mar 27, 2011

I'm researching to find out which is the best online school to choose for medical transcription training.  I want to do the training right the first time, so I want to make sure I choose the right one.  They all seem to claim to be the top in the country and to have the most successful graduates.  I don't mind paying for what I'm getting, but I want to make sure I'm not paying for fluff.  I was hoping to get some insight from those who have already be ...

Medical Transcription Training Programs
Jan 19, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with the Medline School of Medical Transcription?  I am considering enrolling in their advanced program for acute care medical transcription.  I have 10 years of transcription experience, but I haven't done it since 2000 and only have family practice experience.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Anyone Know How To Get Veterinarian Transcription Training? Found An Ad That Paid 10-12 Cpl But Req
May 01, 2010

either experience or training.  I must not be Googling my question right because I cant seem to find anything about transcription for veterinarians specifically.  Thanks. ...

What Equipment Do You Return?
Aug 06, 2012

What equipment are we supposed to return?  Just the hard drive?  I don't want to call my CCM about this so I hope someone who recently quit knows.  Since my computer doesn't have enough power to run 7.1, do you think they still want it back? ...

Equipment Return
Sep 08, 2012

The number that this person called from doesn't say M-Modal, just Raleigh, NC? I refuse to call and pay the long distance from my house phone where he left the message, so I tried all day yesterday to call from my cell phone and get a busy signal and "network not available" message.  Does this all sound jicky or maybe weather-related?????? ...

Return Equipment Labels
Apr 06, 2010

Left MQ the last day of March 2010.  I have read on this board numerous times that that they a long time to send return labels.  I have been gone 1 week and already have return labels, but the joke is, I do not have MQ equipment to send back.  Have been using my own equipment from day one.  I even had to have it repaired a couple months ago and my CCM asked if it was my computer.  If it had been theirs they would have gotten it back then.  Just thought you might enj ...

Return To Maker - Paycheck - What Does This Mean
Aug 01, 2010

Went to the issuing bank with my paycheck in hand.  Bank supervisor was called over.  After they stared at the screen for several minutes, handed me back the check and said they could not cash it.  When asked why, was told that it was to be "returned to maker."  Is that reason to believe the MTSO is not able to cover the paycheck? ...

6.1 Has Stolen My Capitalization On Return!! LOL
Sep 08, 2010

specifically useful in listing, when I used to hit return, it would automatically capitalize the next line, updated to 6.1 and no more auto cap on return.  Anyone else have this problem?  My expansion is Instant Text, and I don't see anything on there about the cap on return.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Julie ...

My Return To MQ Bites The Dust
Sep 29, 2011

Several years ago, after working for MQ for a few years, I gave up on them - it was right around the time they introduced the whole cesspool thing and all my work disappeared.  Then, I began working elsewhere and guess what, same boring story, the work dried up.  So, with painful reluctance I came back to MQ and these last few weeks has been one heart-wrenching day after the next.  There's either no work, or I get another hospital with completely different CP instructions or ...

Famous Vs. Veinous Return?
Nov 15, 2011

Dr. states use legs and muscles to encourage _____ return.  Sound like famous.  Possibly veinous?  Thanks! ...

Return Of MQ Equipment--reporting It As Stolen?
Aug 06, 2010

I am a former MedQuister who left over 2 years ago. I just today recieved a letter from MQ stating they have contacted me 3 times over equipment that had not been returned that belongs to them. As far as I know, I was only contacted one time, it was about 3 or 4 months after I had left, and I had returned my equipment about a week or two after I ended my employment. So...this letter says they will report the equipment as stolen to the authorities, will report $2000 value of equipment on a tax f ...

Systematically Suction Curetted S/l Was/with Return
Aug 20, 2010

contents were then systematically suction curetted s/l was/with return with a very small amount of gestational tissue. ...

Outsourced Call Centers Return To U.S.
Aug 27, 2010

Nothing about MT but its a start. Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129406588&ft=1&f=1003 ...

She Can Return The Emergency Room Or CPAP?
Sep 07, 2011

Ok, I've been getting a lot of doctors saying this. That patients can go to/return to what s/l CPAP (see pap).   Is this correct? I'm not sure if it's a nickname for another local facility either. I have a list of commonly referred to places for this client and nothing like CPAP is on there.  Just curious. ...

Shortcut To Return To Beginning Of Audio?
Jan 24, 2013

Does anybody know if there is a keyboard shortcut to get back to the beginning of the audio?  With 6.whatever you just went back to the beginning of the text and then did control m to put the audio there and went to the beginning because of the skip markers, now with no skip marker, it only goes back to where the actual report starts, not the beginning of the ADT, if it will go back at all.  I like 7 way better in all other aspects, but having to manually slide the audio back over with ...

Grammar - The Patient Will Return In 4 Weeks Time
Jan 27, 2010

This is a simple question, but I see it both ways and get mixed up.   Which is correct? The patient will return in 4 weeks time. The patient will return in 4 week's time. Thanks!  :-) ...

Someone Explain To Me How I Am Supposed To Return My Equipment To A Company
Oct 30, 2011

that immediately locked me out of company email and no one is answering the phone at corporate headquarters? I resigned a week a couple of weeks ago.  It was all very cordial and professional.  I sent an email outlining my reasons for leaving, thanking them for the opportunity to work of the company, and closed with please let me know how and to where you would like me to ship your equipment.  I get an email basically accepting my resignation and informing that someone from the ...

I Did Return Lawyer's Call And Leave A Message
May 13, 2012

I have to admit, it was tough calling - it just makes it all the more real - wow, these companies really have screwed us all over for years!  It is a painful realization...I mean, you KNOW you're getting screwed over...but when you make contact with the legal system...it's real in a way it wasn't before. However...I'm glad I called!!!!!!  I'm hoping other people will call as well - maybe if this law firm can't take it on, there will be some other law firm ...

Can Someone Tell Me How Long It Takes For Them To Send A Box To Return This Computer?
Aug 22, 2013

I just want it out of here...I'm gonna put it in the garage if they don't send that box soon. Do we have to take it to the post office once we get the box or will UPS pick it up or ? TIA ...

Left MM A Year Ago And They Never Sent Me Labels To Return The Computer So I Kept It. Anyone Know (S
Jan 17, 2014

since I have had it this long and after repeated requests for labels and no reply....if I keep the computer, can their proprietary platform, etc be removed and computer used for another transcription job?  I am desperately looking for a new job but they all require a personal computer.  Thanks! ...

Sick Of Docs Wanting The World, But Offering Nothing In Return
Aug 23, 2010

When did it start being okay for companies to accept and accomodate docs who put out garbage and then require the world of us MT's?  I have worked in the medical setting in various capacities, so I know how docs are and I am used to it.  However, when it comes to something as serious as transcribing thier reports and getting it right you would think they would do there best to at least try to speak soem what clearly.....the wost part is that these are not even ESL's that I sp ...

Enterprise Express Editor - Return The Voice Player Back To The Beginning Using A Keyboard Command
Oct 23, 2012

Does anyone know how to return the voice player back to the beginning using a keyboard command on Enterprise Express Editor?   ...

Considering Training To Be A MT
Oct 10, 2009

I am considering an online school to learn Medical Transcription.  What does the future look like for upcoming MT's?  With all the medical changes coming, would this be a career to consider?  Thanks for any help! Debbie ...

Training To Be An MT
Nov 15, 2009

I am a mom of 3 boys with a lot of secretarial experience. I have taken several college courses recently including Anatomy&Physiology, Medical Terminology, Medical Transcription and Advanced but cannot find a job. Everyone looks for experience. I am in the process of applying to Everett Community College for their certificate. I would love opinions from current MTs regarding your opinion on beginning this career. Is it still a good option? I hear so many differing opinions on the future. Do ...

Does MQ Pay For Training?
Nov 17, 2009

How long does training takes?  How long do they give you to get up to speed, meaning getting your required lines in.  Do they pay a shift differential? ...

Training Pay?
Jan 25, 2010

Anyone know how long you are supposed to get training pay? Came back to company for some extra $$ and thought I was told this is a 90 day thing, but 2nd paycheck was on production pay though I am still 100% QA? Anyone have any suggestions on this?  I am so confused now. ...

Training-----------Best?
Aug 04, 2010

hello... I'm looking for opinions and advice from MTs as to where I should get my MT training.  Where do most MT companies like their MTs to have their MT training?  Thank you   ...

Still In Training
Jan 29, 2011

I am still in training, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the software and or equipment I could go ahead and purchase to help me get through my training more smoothly.  My dictation at this time is on a CD disk and wondered if a foot petal would help me at this point.  Thanks,   bettyboop ...