A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Completed Allied Course - Feeling Unprepared... - newmttx

Posted: Apr 25, 2010

I have recently completed the Allied MT course, and as I begin to test for companies, I realize that I am not prepared for the real world of the MT. As I have already spent a great deal of money, taking the Andrews course is not a viable option for me. If I could turn back time.....

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions of ways that I could obtain some "real world" practice so that I may be better prepared for my career? I have searched for mentorships, as I would love to have an MT to help me improve, but the search has come up short.

I am planning on taking the RMT exam through AHDI as soon as possible, will that be of much help?

Your experienced advice is very much appreciated...

Thanks!

keep trying. Every time you take a test - test

[ In Reply To ..]
you learn something new.
We all felt like this when we started out.
Do not get discouraged, last not least you got an MT education, test, test, test....

Similar Messages:

Just Completed My MT Courses. Now What???
Apr 27, 2010

I just completed my Medical Transcription course through Penn Foster. When I first decided I wanted to become an MT it was the being able to work from home and being home with my young son that was my deciding factor. Now after completing the course and getting an idea of what all is involved, I'm a little insecure about it all. I did ok in my courses, but being just "ok" isn't gonna cut it in the real world where the reports are not just for testing purposes, but for REAL people. I do ...

MT To RN Anyone Considered Or Completed?
Sep 11, 2012

I am considering going back to school to get an RN.  After speaking with a few RN friends in my area I am looking deeper into the possibilities.  They recommended our community college with its 2 year degree program.  This school also works closely with a major health facility here in town for recruiting.  I have been on the hospital's job opening emails and along with multiple openings weekly for RNs (days, nights, and prn) and my nurse friends' agreeing there is a ...

Has Anyone Here Completed The Andrews Course And
Apr 02, 2014

not been able to find a coding position?  It seems like the best option, but everyone around here locally wants 5 years experience, so I guess the only other way to get started is as a doctor's office receptionist/biller/coder, which is what they do around here & it doesn't pay well at all because most offices will just train you on the job. My 19-year-old daughter got on doing it but started at $8.50/hr, now up to $9.  Five years as an office girl at a doctor's offi ...

Allied
Apr 23, 2010

I have been doing due diligence & am disappointed to find so many negatives about Allied. I don't understand why this program, that appears to be considered substandard in the industry, was approved. I have completed a local program that was fine for what it provided, but I feel & know that I need more. I want the next step to be the final step. Nobody wants to do 3 programs! I hear those who talk about cost. However, there are many considerations when choosing. Not everyone can af ...

Can Andrews' Coding Course Be Completed In Less Than 12 Months?
Jan 24, 2011

I've been looking at both Andrews and Career Step for online coding classes.  One thing that I've noticed (other than the cost differences) is that the Career Step course can be completed in as little as 4 months.  It seems the Andrews course takes a minimum of 12 months.  Is it possible to complete it in less time or is that frowned upon?  If I had the extra money and time, I would probably be leaning toward Andrews (particularly since I already completed thei ...

Just Completed Training On EMDAT/Inscribe
Jul 20, 2012

I've just completed training on EMDAT/Inscribe. Can anyone tell me if they work with this platform and is it hard? I used DQS, Chartnet, Bayscribe,etc., but this seems to be a little confusing. I still don't know how I leave a blank for QA. ...

Completed The CPC-H Course And Passed Final Exam
Aug 12, 2012

I just passed the final exam for the AAPC CPC-H course! After completing the 24 chapters, one just have to take the test; I waited and stressed out about it, but then finally decided on a day and took the final. I am an MT with decades of experience who got outsourced yet again and had my pay cut in half.  I am extremely glad I have a chance at another career, even if I am in my late 50s. What can I lose? ...

Has Anyone Completed The Career Step Coding
Jan 17, 2015

feel you were adequately trained. How long did it take to complete? Any information would be appreciated. ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Allied Program
Apr 22, 2010

Has anyone here completed the Allied program? I'd appreciate hearing about your experience, any job assistance they may provide, & whether you'd make the same choice if you could do it again. Thanks! ...

NEWBIE FROM ALLIED
Apr 26, 2010

I am about to complete my course with ALLIED MEDICAL SCHOOLS, but I'm running into the same problems with companies not wanting to hire newbies.  EVERYONE is wanting 2+ yrs experience.  I didn't take this course to work at a hospital, I took it to work from home.  Now I'm finding everyone telling me to find a local job to gain the experience I need to land an MT company job.  I am so worried I have made the wrong decision to do this and now will have to go back ...

Has Anyone Went To Allied Schools?
Jan 31, 2011

Has anyone went to Allied Schools?  They are ADHI approved but do not use SUM.  I have talked to many school and would like to know if anyone went here and what their impression was.  Thanks. ...

Allied Schools
Feb 28, 2011

I am going through Allied Schools Medical Transcription program and I was wondering if anyone else out there has gone through them and what they thought. I am close to graduating and also wanted to hear how difficult it was to find a job for an entry level position. Thanks! ...

Almost Done With Allied MT Finals!
Apr 26, 2011

I am in Allied MT school, and working on my finals.  I am truly concerned that my lack of experience will hinder me finding a job. Any information on companies that hire new MTs would be appreciated. Thanks ...

Sending Completed Work With Express Scribe?
Dec 16, 2009

My boss wants me to send my completed work using my software.  I know Gearplayer can do this, but can Express Scribe (whcih is what I use).  I get my dictation via FTP through Express Scribe, but can it send my completed work back through FTP? ...

I Need A Secure FTP Site To Send Completed Dictations!
Jun 30, 2013

WOO HOO! I landed a private account. I have looked online to find a reliable FTP server or the like for sending the completed files back to the clinic. Would any of you be so kind to let me know of reliable ones that are inexpensive or free? I'd be forever grateful!! Cruisinlady ...

Disappointment In Allied Medical School
Jan 25, 2010

I am so deeply disappointed in Allied Business School/Medical School. I am so deeply disappointed in AIM/**** who never lived up to her end of a business deal.   I have wasted so much time and money in attempting to become a Medical Transcriptionist.   I'd rather clean toilets. Anonymous   **** Do not identify individuals. Moderator **** ...

What Allied Medical Schools Told Me... Is THIS True?
May 12, 2010

A representative from Allied Medical Schools told me this:   Our program is designed to prepare you for not only the career, but also for the AAPC’s CPC-A exam which is the first certification you can obtain as a new medical coder. The AHIMA certification requires a degree program that usually takes about 2 years to complete and to pursue that, you must already have your CPC-A certification. Some employers may ask for a AHIMA cert but there are plenty of employers that do not and th ...

Medical Transcription Course At A State University And A Med Terminology Class For MTs Thru Allied?
Jul 14, 2011

I planned on going this route in order to obtain a job as an MT. Do you think this is feasible? I would also be purchasing plenty of dictation practice materials. (Practice, practice, practice!!) Thanks in advance for your input!   ...

We're NOT The Only Ones Feeling
Aug 26, 2010

Read the comments by CBay's CEO and from the smaller Indian firms. Sad to feel some glee when reading this. ...

Got A Feeling.
Jun 01, 2011

My boss keeps telling us corporate says we are not producing enough for the number of employees we have, but we have been producing. Every other week, she will call and say increase production. I have been with the company for 11 years. I have a feeling we are going to be bought out. I am thinking about looking for a new job? I need a backup plan. Sad to see that MT is all about the big wigs making money off the little guy. ...

Feeling Bad . . .
Apr 25, 2013

Took a test for a city job and just got notice that I did not pass.  I was on of over 300 people who took the  test.  Happy for those that passed but wish I would have been one of them.  I believe I bombed in the math calculations.  Boy is it ever a kick in the pants with regard to self-esteem to know that I cannot even pass a simple test.  What can an old timer like me do when all I ever have done is transcription?  Feelling about as low as possible right now. ...

Do You Ever Get A Bad Feeling?
Aug 04, 2014

Now that the bankruptcy business is taken care of, I have a bad feeling. I don't know why now exactly, I just do, that something bad cometh our way...pay cuts, more firings, the usual chaos. Maybe because things have been a little quiet lately. This place has made me paranoid perhaps.  ...

I Get The Feeling This Is All
Mar 24, 2015

some experiment upon which to base some crazy decision "to take us in a new direction" yet again... UGH.  It's too ridiculous to make any sense, so it's giving me a really bad feeling. ...

Not Feeling Well At All X2 DaYS
Nov 14, 2009

Hi, All.  Yesterday morning, about 10 a.m. so, and while working, I started to get what felt like gas pains in the abdomen but onlly from the umbilicus down (it did go all the way across and ended up causing a mild backage - no pain any further.  They were constant and unrelenting,  No relief.  I took to gas pills, wated a littlle while, took 2 more, pain getting worse.  I had 3 ways of describning the pain:  1.  The (minimal) paring knife pain&n ...

Feeling Very Encouraged
Jan 02, 2010

I just wanted to thank those who shared that have been with this company for more than 10 years.  I have really been feeling unloved by MQ lately.  There have been a lot of changes since I've been here, and I've only been here since early 2006.  Been worried also lately about being let go or being laid off.  I don't know, you just gave me some hope somehow and I wanted to thank you all for that.  I guess my job isn't that bad after all.  And we d ...

Feeling Out Of Loop.
Jan 07, 2010

I am just thankful for this site.  If it weren't for it I wouldn't have a clue what is going on ever!  I haven't heard or received any type of email from my CCM? (if that is what they are still called) in over a month.  Then today I find out I've been moved.  I get on here and hear about all these things going on and I never had a clue. Any time something doesn't seem right like Kaspersky or not being able to log into system, this is the first pl ...

Feeling Weird
May 22, 2010

Has any body every noticed how you find companies that seem interested in you and want to hire you, but if you ask them to look up stuff it takes them forever?I had this one company who was interested in me but when I told them I use a mac computer, which I realize now was my mistake, I get the attitude "See you later"? ...

New MT...feeling Very Discouraged
Sep 29, 2010

Hi, I have recently graduated from an MT program and have been spending a lot of time on this forum. It has made me think that I may have made a huge mistake. I understand that times are hard, but does anyone have any good advice? I just have been getting discouraged so much lately. I have two young children and want to be able to stay home and help my husband to take care of our family. He already works two jobs as it is (in the health care field) and we just want to get ahead. Did I make a mis ...