A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

anyone who was fired, quit, or forced to resign - from MQ..question..sm

Posted: Jun 17, 2011

Did you apply for unemployment, did you get it, did you have to appeal?  I have never lived off the system and figured I payed into it for my entire adult life, and have reached a point where I need financial assistance.  I was asked to resign due to being unable to work due to physical inabilty on my part and am stuck, so I applied for it.  Just looking for some good news from other MQ employees.

RE: fired, quit, resigned - abbynormal

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have documentation as to your disability, they can't fire you! Thats discrimination.

I have limitations, have all the paperwork from the docs and all the documentation, and I am PT. I have RA and some days its much worse than others.

I'd suggest that you talk to HR and get them your documentation ASAP!

I was fired last year because I refused to work for 2 cpl - bamagirl

[ In Reply To ..]
and I filed an unemployment claim with the state of Alabama. It was refused. I asked for an appeal and, with a conference call with me, the appeal judge and my CCM/HR from Medquist telling our stories, I lost the appeal because I could have worked for that amount and the company did not really "fire" me but I left of my own accord.

Unfortunately if you were forced to resign because of a physical inability on your part to work, I do believe that every state requires you to be physically able to work at all times if offered a job so you are really between a rock and hard place if you can't.

Be assured though that Medquist will fight you tooth and nail and will probably win.

re: bama - rj

[ In Reply To ..]
yea, there's a difference in REFUSING to work and not being physically ABLE to work. Most employers will fire anyone who REFUSES to work.

I opted to work through the 4cpl (for me) rate when I failed my audit. I worked like a donkey for about a week at that rate. I've been dotting my Is and crossingmy Ts since. Never again! That paycheck was so sad... Its amazing how much you get behind on bills for just ONE bad paycheck.

Yea, MQ has a formidable legal team. I think they are blood thirsty sharks!

re: bama - kittykat

[ In Reply To ..]
How long did you have to work for 4 cents a line? One month or one paycheck before you passed another audit and went back to normal. I have been making waves re MT's skipping reports, I know because there is text in the document with many blanks and it is obvious this MT does not know her stuff. Thanks.
re: kitty Kat - rj
[ In Reply To ..]
I was fortunate enough to have been audited the next week. So just one week of a payperiod was short. I don't know why it worked out that way, but I was very glad because I hear many get audited much less frequently. Maybe I was "under the gun" for something??

How could anyone in their right mind - employer, - Unemployment people, or MT, think 2cpl is "pay"?

[ In Reply To ..]
2 cpl could not, by any stretch of the imagination, be considered fair compensation for work produced (i.e., "pay"), when the hours needed per day to make enough pennies to live on do not exist in our planet's particular place and rotation in the solar system. The earth just doesn't rotate in such a way that there can ever be more than just 24 hours in any given day, and as a result, at 2 cpl, there aren't enough hours in said day (or 7 of them per week, or even 30 of them per month) to be able to scrape out a living at 2 cents per 65-character line. WITH spaces.

My little crystal ball says that in the not-too-distant future, MTSOs are all going to put themselves right out of business, because they will no longer have a skilled-enough workforce, at their lousy 2 cpl, to be able to do the work. They can send it all to India or the Philippines, or China, or Pakistan, but unless they export a whole ___load of Americans over there to edit it, they'll ultimately force the healthcare industry, as a result of a likely increase in litigation against them, to find another way to document their medical records.

can you clarify? - bentfingers

[ In Reply To ..]
You were asked to resign by whom? Sounds like you hung in there and told the company that you were having trouble and they asked you to resign instead of getting let go? I think a lot of us might be in your boat, so that is why I am curious. Please do not feel guilty about getting some unemployment or disability insurance. There should not be a stigma for people like us who pay into the system for a long time. It is just that, INSURANCE. Good luck, and I bet you won't have trouble collecting help. You just havent been on the other side yet.

asked to resign - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
My supervisor asked me to resign as I could not do the work anymore. I had developed tendinitis over the years and it was so bad I could not even touch the keys let alone make any money on production. They could not find another position for me and could not give me strictly QA work as the MME position also has straight typing. Nothing I can do here, been with MQ since mid 90s.

Resign is just a fancy name for QUIT. They want you to - Kiki1

[ In Reply To ..]
quit so they don't have to pay you unemployment. If I were you, I would NOT resign. I understand you can't work but I'd tell them to lay you off so you can at least collect unemployment, which you cannot do if you quit (resign, same thing). Sorry for your tendinitis problem. I hope things work out for you.
That's also illegal - they cannot ask you to resign due to inability sm - NutterButter
[ In Reply To ..]
to perform your job duties. Go see a doctor, get a note about needing some kind of disability waiver, and then apply for disability or retraining thru your state's voc rehab program. It is illegal to ask an employee to do what they are asking you do to; I was a mgr at another company for years and I know this to be true. Good luck.
If you quit because your hours/salary dropped - xyzzz
[ In Reply To ..]
significantly, you are eligible for partial unemployment. You have to show documentation, your pay stubs with hours, lines, etc., and I also used emails about NJA from my CCM, and the info from the annual report about the planned shift of work to India. I since got a PT job and can still get benefits (there are no MT/office jobs around here).
Can I ask you..... - Kiki1
[ In Reply To ..]
Where do you find this info about the planned shift of work to India?

Thank you in advance. I have a feeling we should all have this info readily avail for when the inevitable happens....Thanks again.

It was in the annual report for 2010, first quarter - xyzzz
[ In Reply To ..]
I believe, as I quit June 2010.
thank you. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
:)

unemployment - mimi

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for MedQuist for 2 years back in 2007 to 2009. All of a sudden I had no work, and quit. I applied for unemployment and it went through, didn't have to have an appeal, but did have to wait a bit for them to answer the paperwork. Interestingly, I got a new job and before my benefits had expired, the new job went to speech all of a sudden and my income went down to half of what I was making. I was actually able to continue collecting unemployment while I was working until I got up to speed on the speech, on MedQuist's dime! Ha Ha! And, I just had a message on my cell phone last week from a MedQuist recruiter, did I want to come back and work? NOooooo thank you.

Workers' Compensation - Claim?

[ In Reply To ..]
x

applied for UI benefits under the TAA petition - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

To The Ones Who Have Quit Or Been Fired.
May 26, 2015

I know you almost immediately get locked out of email, but did you get locked out of the ADP site also?  One would think they can't lock you away from seeing your paycheck stubs, etc., but it is Nuance we are talking about.  Ethical and legal are not exactly in their vocabulary.  ...

Quit Or Wait To Be Fired -- Need Advice
May 07, 2014

Well, like a lot of you out there I am struggling with VR and editing.  I have worked at the same hospital for many years, I have tried to get into another position, does not look like that will happen.  It is just a matter of time before they let me go.  Do I wait and be fired and collect unemployment and then have to explain to prospective employers (outside of the MT field!!!) that I was fired and why OR do I quit with some dignity still intact??  My husband ...

If We Are Forced To Quit For NJA, Do We Have A Case For "constructive Discharge"?
Aug 06, 2010

This is a followup to the issue of "constructive discharge" that was brought up in a thread on this board back on August 3.  The original poster stated, and I agree after googling and checking out several sites on the topic, that an employee can claim "constructive discharge" if forced to quit because (loosely quoted from more than one site) "...the employer has made working conditions intolerable.  Issues can include...... reduction in ........workload for reasons that are not tied to ...

We Should All Resign...
Dec 23, 2010

I say we all send Ms.Thing an e-mail with RESIGNATION in the subject line.  That could be her Christmas bonus. If we'd all stuck together the very first time they cut our pay, we might have a leg to stand on now. Screw it.  I'm having a big ol frosty margarita!   ...

How Do You Resign Nicely?
Oct 12, 2011

I have a bit of a dilemma. I took on a 2nd job with a very nice (albeit small) facility. It wasn't my first choice of specialties but now I have been moved to an even different one than hired for and it's taking me all day to get stuff done (3 jobs totally 14 minutes took 1 hour and 22 minutes to type and I am not slow). It's all completely foreign to me and I am not making any money (about $3/hour at this rate). I would like to let her know that I will no longer be working fo ...

How Do We Resign From MModal? I Can't
Apr 27, 2013

find any information under HR in MModal Central.  I finally have had enough of NJA throughout my shift. ...

Anybody Been Asked To Resign??
Jun 07, 2015

i just ignored it for now but are they crazy, asking us to resign vs firing us? i wouldnt give them the satisfaction, they will have to kick me out if i am suddenly such a rotten MT. feels like an SNL Seth & Amy segment of "Oh really?" Really. ...

Mixed Feelings On Having To Resign Today. Sm
Sep 23, 2011

It is with much emotion that I had to turn my resignation in today with the Q.  I have been with this company since it was TL back in 1994.  I have seen everything, good and bad to worse.  And yes, there were good times.  I kept the same primary account for the entire time of my tenure here.  Of that I was thankful.   I am very, very ill and lost my medical benefits back in 2002 when my health as well as my DH's became bad.  I have been lucky in the C ...

If Resign Within 2 Months Is A 2-week Notice Required
Jan 12, 2010

e-mailed CCM Monday but have not heard back.  Need to mail back equipment.  Anyone know what the procedures are.  I am waiting to hear back from CCM before doing the 2 weeks, because don't want to if I don't have to.  I have received 2 weeks of training pay at $10 per hour. ...

Forced To Use PTO?
Jun 04, 2015

Can anyone tell me where the employee handbook is now located since they shut down Enrich? If anyone has a copy can you tell me or copy me the part about taking time off sick with a doctor note??? I was out last week due to being in the hospital. I had to run and get a dr note for them from the hospital, well send someone, and have it faxed pronto. I was excused for 3 days work, which I only work part time anyhow. I now get told they are forcing me to use PTO hours for those 3 days, which is 16 ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

I Just Do Not Understand How We Can Be Forced To Use PTO For NJA
Dec 02, 2013

How is this even legal? ...

FORCED To Abandon A Job...this Is Pathetic!!
Mar 17, 2010

I was just forced to abandon a job to save my pay. I've only been in my shift for 1 hour and have gotten the same horrible dictator for every report and have to send them all to QA!!!! I just went into my 4th report and SURPRISE it was the same dictator....This isn't fair!!!!! ...

Transcend/MDI Employee Forced Out
Jan 18, 2011

The story is I worked on same account for 4 years under MDI with no complaints about my work, always went above and beyond.  I was at top of pay scale.  Then, Transcend took over a year ago and has been hiring a lot of new employees, probably at a lot lower line rate with the industry the way it is, and now I had a "random" audit done of my work and said I failed and must go thru probation.  I said "no" to probation because upon my review, I found it was not random repor ...

Can You Be Forced To Change Your Schedule?
Sep 20, 2012

I signed what I assumed was a contract when I was hired and my hours were part of that contract.   Can they make you change your hours?  ...

Forced To Downsize--into The Backseat Of My Car?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody else facing homelessness thanks to Nuance?  This is a serious inquiry, no snark. I'd like to network with others about what it might be like to be homeless because of your employment in this company.     ...

Since Mmodal Has Forced Us To Be As Efficient As Possible
Nov 12, 2013

I'm wondering what method do you use in DQS to get the best line count for Mmodal?  Do you mostly use the mouse/keyboard combo? Do you use the (annoying/ineffective/slow) feature that is supposed to jump the cursor to line up with the audio position where the editing needs to be done? Do you keep your right hand on the arrow keys and left hand on ctrl/alt/shift keys, moving the cursor past each word (likely the most efficient method, but moving your fingers near constant can lea ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Nuance Taking Over And I Was Forced To Change My Schedule
Sep 22, 2012

So, I used to work Monday through Friday, which is what I was hired for.  Fast forward to Nuance taking over and I was forced to change my schedule to include a weekend day, and this is the 4th weekend in a row, there is no work. Makes sense, huh? ...

Independent Contractor Forced To Work Holidays
Nov 06, 2012

As an independent contractor, can the company I am doing work legally make me work holidays? ...

Why Bad EMRs Are Forced On Physicians By Edwin Leap, MD
Aug 11, 2014

from KevinMD website "I recently did a tally.  Since starting my locums adventure last year, and going to full-time locums in January, I’ve worked in a grand total of 11 emergency departments.  Let me qualify that for the occasional visitor to my blog.  I decided to do this for purposes of flexibility, finances and a much needed change of scenery.  Not because I’m a problem physician, or unable to do the work in a “real” job.  I say that to ...

Got Fired From The Q - Ha Ha
Feb 24, 2010

Well, I was officially fired yesterday.  Up until last summer, I was one of their top producers, never having an accuracy problem.  The reason I got fired?  I got sick. Early last summer, I let a UTI go for 10 days (lived off Rx strength OTC Pyridium) until I was severely septic and urinating almost pure blood and clots.  I also had a kidney infection, kidney stones and bladder stones.  Thought it was over.  IIRC, the urinary organism was proteus mirabilis.  I ...

Getting Fired
Apr 01, 2010

Isn't it odd that being fired from MQ isn't a disgrace?  Being fired from any other place would be total humiliation, but I don't think anybody here would ever look down on another MT who was let go.  MQ doesn't discriminate.  They justly fire bad MTs, but they also fire good MTs who are stuck with crummy accounts, accounts that constantly have NJA, and probably a ton of reasons that are beyond our control.  ...

Fired
Apr 28, 2010

I was hired by company initials "P" under the conditions that my computer meet their specifications.  I was told my computer met their specification and then offered employment.  I accepted. Their technicians worked on my computer for 2 weeks straight and installed faulty software, and then I was told my system would not meet their specifications and I needed to have my computer XP deleted and reinstalled or buy a new computer.  I had my computer checked out and was told my c ...

I Don't Really Want To Get Fired From Q
Dec 08, 2010

it really wouldn't be such a bad thing ...

I Was Fired
Jun 14, 2011

I was fired. I started with Medquist in 1998. They fired me in 1997. I was hired and Spheris and became a Medquist employee after they bought Spheris. I was fired again today. I just hope Medquist eventually stabilizes and the employees are happy again. I hope I find something suitable for me. I wish the best for all. It's been one hell of a bumpy and uneven ride. Bon voyage to me!!! ...

Getting Fired??
May 05, 2012

If you have had a written warning on 3/31 and I am going to assume after a failing audit score on 1 report I did, is firing next?? Really can use input regarding this and unemployment, or really anything you can think of? ...

Getting Fired....
Jun 28, 2012

this may sound stupid, but how does one go about getting fired from this God-awful company?...i sit here in tears daily, and can't look for another job because i am tied to this desk 14 hours a day and not even making minimum wage...i want to be able to collect unemployment for just a few weeks until i can find a real company to work for... ...

When You Get Fired
Nov 04, 2012

does mmodal pay unused acrued pto. when do they pay you for work performed before being fired? ...