A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Forced to downsize--into the backseat of my car? - No high speed internet in my car

Posted: Jul 02, 2013

Anybody else facing homelessness thanks to Nuance? 

This is a serious inquiry, no snark.

I'd like to network with others about what it might be like to be homeless because of your employment in this company.

My story - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
The company that I was an IC for lost the contract to another service, due to employees not working when they said they would. I went to work for Nuance, and because of a disability, I had a very hard time making the required line counts on VR. As a result, I was evicted from my apartment and I mean literally, everything out in the street. Luckily, I was able to stay wtih friends, but I have not been able to get back to the point financially, where I want to be. IMHO, it's Nuance and all these other companies with their ridiculous rates of pay and VR in general. I know of several companies that refuse to allow VR to come into play and still pay pretty decently for straight typing. I will hope and pray that your situation improves and that you have a possible support systen to fall back on.

I hope you have started contacting shelters NOW - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't wait till it's a crisis. Go in and talk to somebody.

Contacting shelters - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
I too replied to this post and told the OP what had happened in my situation. Because of the economic climate being what it is, it's not just as simple as "contacting a shelter," and you have instant access. Depending on where the OP is, this person could be waiting several months to be able to get into a shelter. Believe me, I speak from the voice of experience. I contact a shelter in South Florida and it took me almost 6 months to get a response from them, even though my situation was what I felt to be an "emergency."

shelters - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't work for Nuance, but MModal, so sorry I'm on your board, but did want to say I feel sorry for all of us with the wages we get, the effort we put out, and the fact the majority, if not all of us, have had our incomes drop by at least 50% over the last few years. Such a sad situation. What I do know about homeless shelters, my son's girlfriend being currently homeless and not an option to stay with us for a variety of reasons, is that she was able to get into a shelter right away, but she had a young child (not my son's) under 5 years of age. At least here where I live in a major Southern California city, I think the shelters "cater" to those single moms with young ones. Its a hard life though, dormitory style, having to be out of the shelter early in the morning, etc., etc. Its sad anyone is homeless; it is also sad those of us with the experience we have find ourselves in such a situation.
shelters - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
You're right about shelters taking those with young children or children in general before others. When I lived in the Miami area, a lot of the homeless would come into the local library and use the computers. There was one gentleman who was at 2 of the libraries that I frequented on a daily basis. He would use the computer for the alloted time period, leave and come back and actually at one time, had the audacity to ask to use my library card because he had run out of time using his card. It is very sad nowadays and I really think that things are going to get a lot worse for people in general.

I am in a similar boat. - stressed out

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for MM, but there are too many similarities. If it was not for a couple friends, I would be out in the street. I hope I can offer something that might help you dig out of this hell hole.

If you are suffering from days without work or days without a full shift of work, check out if you can get partial unemployment. Look up your state's labor department online.

I checked out Trade Adjustment Assistance for you and was shocked to find out the Nuance employees' petition was denied. Isn't Nuance sending work offshore? MM is, and our petition was approved. I think the fact CBay nabbed us through the backdoor, and their stated goal is to send at least 80% of the work offshore --

But, I did find information that might be helpful.

http://www.doleta.gov/programs/

Right now I am studying for a new occupation and am looking forward to finishing school at the end of the year and can leave. I am taking the program through a community college. What I did was go online and check every occupational center and community college and picked a program

I hope you live in the city rather than rural as I know it is difficult to find resources in rural areas.

One last thought is to call a crisis center and ask where to get a social worker to help.

Good luck.

impending homelessness - a few more tips

[ In Reply To ..]
I am assuming you are a renter and not a homeowner. First you need to go to your landlord and tell him the situation and try to work out a payment plan with him. He may or may not go for it, if he does great, if he does not, when you get your eviction notice, make a court date, tell the judge what has happened, tell the judge you offered a payment plan, the judge may advise the landlord to accept the plan, but if you don't keep it, you will be evicted willy nilly. Secondly, you need to get busy to find some other sources of income right now. So, if you have any PTO accrued get it, apply for UIB, apply for food stamps, sell/pawn anything you can, consider a roommate, go to temp agencies and apply, borrow money if you can, do whatever you need to do to make sure you keep your rental payment agreement short of committing a crime. Long term, you must make other plans and get out of this. It is not working for you anymore, just as it is not for a lot of us. There are just too many of us chasing too few jobs.

Similar Messages:

FIESA Games Used To Downsize
Jun 26, 2014

So, I'm not really asking for a show of hands here, but have you been "moved" in the last 2, 3 weeks or so to a hospital account in the upper northwest part of the country that is rather a booger-bear to learn? It is INTENTIONAL, you will be FIESA'd to death if you are not already. (You were likely told that they need you there because it is a difficult account to keep staffed, at least that is what they told the last person). Just warning you. Be on the lookout for that one plan ...

Forced To Use PTO?
Jun 04, 2015

Can anyone tell me where the employee handbook is now located since they shut down Enrich? If anyone has a copy can you tell me or copy me the part about taking time off sick with a doctor note??? I was out last week due to being in the hospital. I had to run and get a dr note for them from the hospital, well send someone, and have it faxed pronto. I was excused for 3 days work, which I only work part time anyhow. I now get told they are forcing me to use PTO hours for those 3 days, which is 16 ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

I Just Do Not Understand How We Can Be Forced To Use PTO For NJA
Dec 02, 2013

How is this even legal? ...

FORCED To Abandon A Job...this Is Pathetic!!
Mar 17, 2010

I was just forced to abandon a job to save my pay. I've only been in my shift for 1 hour and have gotten the same horrible dictator for every report and have to send them all to QA!!!! I just went into my 4th report and SURPRISE it was the same dictator....This isn't fair!!!!! ...

Transcend/MDI Employee Forced Out
Jan 18, 2011

The story is I worked on same account for 4 years under MDI with no complaints about my work, always went above and beyond.  I was at top of pay scale.  Then, Transcend took over a year ago and has been hiring a lot of new employees, probably at a lot lower line rate with the industry the way it is, and now I had a "random" audit done of my work and said I failed and must go thru probation.  I said "no" to probation because upon my review, I found it was not random repor ...

Can You Be Forced To Change Your Schedule?
Sep 20, 2012

I signed what I assumed was a contract when I was hired and my hours were part of that contract.   Can they make you change your hours?  ...

Since Mmodal Has Forced Us To Be As Efficient As Possible
Nov 12, 2013

I'm wondering what method do you use in DQS to get the best line count for Mmodal?  Do you mostly use the mouse/keyboard combo? Do you use the (annoying/ineffective/slow) feature that is supposed to jump the cursor to line up with the audio position where the editing needs to be done? Do you keep your right hand on the arrow keys and left hand on ctrl/alt/shift keys, moving the cursor past each word (likely the most efficient method, but moving your fingers near constant can lea ...

Anyone Who Was Fired, Quit, Or Forced To Resign
Jun 17, 2011

Did you apply for unemployment, did you get it, did you have to appeal?  I have never lived off the system and figured I payed into it for my entire adult life, and have reached a point where I need financial assistance.  I was asked to resign due to being unable to work due to physical inabilty on my part and am stuck, so I applied for it.  Just looking for some good news from other MQ employees. ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Nuance Taking Over And I Was Forced To Change My Schedule
Sep 22, 2012

So, I used to work Monday through Friday, which is what I was hired for.  Fast forward to Nuance taking over and I was forced to change my schedule to include a weekend day, and this is the 4th weekend in a row, there is no work. Makes sense, huh? ...

Independent Contractor Forced To Work Holidays
Nov 06, 2012

As an independent contractor, can the company I am doing work legally make me work holidays? ...

Why Bad EMRs Are Forced On Physicians By Edwin Leap, MD
Aug 11, 2014

from KevinMD website "I recently did a tally.  Since starting my locums adventure last year, and going to full-time locums in January, I’ve worked in a grand total of 11 emergency departments.  Let me qualify that for the occasional visitor to my blog.  I decided to do this for purposes of flexibility, finances and a much needed change of scenery.  Not because I’m a problem physician, or unable to do the work in a “real” job.  I say that to ...

If We Are Forced To Quit For NJA, Do We Have A Case For "constructive Discharge"?
Aug 06, 2010

This is a followup to the issue of "constructive discharge" that was brought up in a thread on this board back on August 3.  The original poster stated, and I agree after googling and checking out several sites on the topic, that an employee can claim "constructive discharge" if forced to quit because (loosely quoted from more than one site) "...the employer has made working conditions intolerable.  Issues can include...... reduction in ........workload for reasons that are not tied to ...

Work Has Dropped Off So Bad Now That I Am Forced To Look For Work Again
Feb 14, 2013

Really upset right now - work has dropped off so bad now that I am forced to look for work again.  I am upset because there was work on the system and a few of us were asked to stop so that the people that have been there the longest have a chance at work.  I dont think this is very fair as I have bills also to pay and surely cannot like this.  I thought it was first come first serve.  Am I so wrong?  ...