A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To ASR technical people- feel free to add - frustrated with ASR

Posted: Jun 11, 2010

Why is there is no consistency with ASR with each doctor or account?  If an account does not want b.i.d. or t.i.d. then why does ASR put it in?  There are certain symbols (&) and terms (q.daily) that are not permitted on Docuscribe but yet ASR uses these symbols every time they are dictated.  These are just of the meaningless changes that we have to fix OVER and OVER and OVER again.  

Here are my suggestions:

1.  Let the doctors know on each account what terms are not allowed on their account per the CP and tell them to start dictating First Time Right! or program ASR to insert the correct term or phrase instead. 

2.  Make ASR account specific.  Some accounts want all capital letters for physical exam or for allergies and others do not.  This should be easy enough to program ASR to fix.

3.  Check the spellcheck for ASR- many words are spelled incorrectly.

4.  Put actual MTs on our ASR programming team, we all know that non medical people are programming ASR and only making it worse.

5.  Check out other companies ASR programs, Medquist's program by far is the most user unfriendly and time consuming and not getting any better. 

While I hope someone sees this from ASR programming I am not holding any hope for ASR getting any better.  However, it made me feel good to vent.  Thanks for listening!

No, audit ASR and if below 98% twice, fire it. ;) - volcanic vent

[ In Reply To ..]
It's junk and very unfair to be paid less after being forced to use this "tool." The only thing worse is doing 100% QA for ILP.

Yeah if it was an employee, it would have - gotten the boot the

[ In Reply To ..]
first day.

Frustrted with ASR - Adios

[ In Reply To ..]
This is why I called for action a few weeks ago. I felt if we all asked these questions of upper management maybe they would pay attention. Nobody seemed to agree.

I am frustated as well. I tried again to request changes because I was told this was a priority now. Was told we have to send in internal job # and usual info to get it changed. Well, it's not just one job. The numeral/number thing has been driving me crazy but I was told outside programmers have to fix that. The dangerous abbrevs make no sense to me at all.

I just don't think they have a handle on ASR and I'm sure they don't want to spend the money.

All ASR is is an excuse to pay us less and charge the clients less. If they had to parade this program at some MT show, they would be terribly embarrassed. But it's not about pride, it's about the almighty buck.

Pretty much says it all about our Country right now. Pay spin doctors to make everything sound good and don't worry about the rest, just the bottom line. American pride is in jeopardy.

Done venting.

I believe originally it was supposed to - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
work that way. Whether technical support for ASR got too expensive or if somebody up high just decided First Time Good Enough, who knows? I can't understand why ASR isn't even consistent in the SAME report! Sometimes it will put numeral 1, sometimes it will spell it out. Sometimes it will put mg, sometimes milligrams. It can't even make up its mind in the SAME friggin' report. I think they grossly underestimated the time and expense it would take to get ASR to work properly for a company as large as MQ with so many hospitals and doctors. For one hospital and a few doctors, it could probably be fine tuned into something usable. For us, it is just a nightmare that we have to live with and scoop poop after (for minimum wage sometimes).

If they pay the programmers like they pay - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
us, then we got what they paid for. Good programmers don't work for crap pay, but they don't care, we clean it up for a cut in pay.

I don't think - that ASR s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
will ever learn things like "Ativan" or "GERD" (pronounced, not spelled out). I finally added an expansion to expand "at of an" to "Ativan." Or how about when they are dictating a list and say "Next" and ASR continually types "NECK: " ?

Similar Messages:

Technical Writing- SM
Oct 05, 2010

Does anyone know about the field of technical writing?  It seems like it would be a logical next step for us.  Just wonder if anyone knows how hard it would be to get into that field, do you get to work at home, and so on.  I'm 50 years old and wonder if its just too late for a career change, but doing this MT/editing stuff for the next 15 years. . . ???? ...

Technical/software Question
Sep 15, 2010

I am not computer savvy. If someone shows me how to do something I can do it but here is my dilemma. I am doing testing for a company and they had me set up a FTP (file transfer protocol) and had me download Express Scribe. They then sent me dictation files via the FTP and said type them and send them back via FTP. So how does one get these files from FTP into the Express Scribe and then do you have to open a word document or set something up to make it open into a word document. I am very confu ...

How Much Are We Paid For Technical Down Time
Jul 14, 2012

I've looked on the website and cant find this info ...

TTS Technical Problems And Escription Was Down
Aug 24, 2014

And now there is a huge backlog?  Anyone who knows what I'm talking about want to commiserate with me?  I logged on this morning happy to have tons of work to help clear out the backlog...but now there are TONS of "non-TTS worktype" pathology reports which we never have to do, but due to these unforeseen circumstances we are asked to complete these non-TTS worktypes and just do the best we can with them, and they are a PAIN and my pay for the past hour has nosedived to 7 bucks an ...

Anybody Know About The Policy For Technical Downtime?
Nov 12, 2014

I was trying to find out what our policy is on technical downtime.  I was under the impression we got paid for this at our benefit rate.  Anybody know for sure or how to find this on Inner Circle?  ...

Audio Files - Not A Technical Question
Oct 17, 2010

Just wondering what everyone's estimate percentage of poor quality (static and other issues) is for the work you do?  ...

My Ipswitch Email Is Down. What Is With All The Technical Problems Lately?!
Feb 06, 2013

x ...

Phone Number For Technical Support
Jan 01, 2015

I work on escription at another company and am having platform issues that the IT guys have not solved so am left to have the creators of the product solve the issues.  ...

I Am So Happy That The Swap Board Crap For Our Region Has Been Delayed "due To Technical Challe
Apr 16, 2010

nm ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

Pass Of Free Flow Or Passive Free Flow?
Feb 04, 2011

Negative aspiration and pass of free flow of saline into the peritoneum was observed. or is it passive free flow of saline? ...

Technical Question About "allergies"
Feb 05, 2014

Is the word "allergic " capitalized in this sentence:  He is allergic to penicillin or He has no allergies. ...

How Are There People With No Work, And People On
Jul 17, 2013

We have helper pools for a reason!  Sounds like some TSMs need to get to work. ...

Free At Last!!!
Oct 25, 2009

After working for MQ for nearly 5-1/2 years, I'm finally leaving.  The first 5 years were great!  Then they decided to force QAs to do transcription and ASR.  If I wanted to transcribe I would have applied for an MT job.  Not to mention the fact that I was making close to $16 an hour and now this has been reduce to around $11 and sometimes under $8.  It's MQs loss.  It's too bad they don't treat their valuable employees better.  I just love ...

Free At Last!
Nov 11, 2009

I'm giving notice that I'm quitting very soon!  I made good money until the last year or so and I'm leaving this job that I find boring and lonely (and now doesn't even pay well).  I'm going to be working for a doctor as a scribe and getting paid per hour!  Woo-hoo!!  The pay is not great but at least I will be out of the house and doing something a little different.  I will have human interaction too!  I'm burnt out beyond belief, ...

Im Free
May 04, 2010

You know I am no longer with MQ. I did not pass the audit and honestly I really did not care to. I have figured out why bother.  Why kill myself for short checks. I have worked with them for 12 years and I feel so free right now.  I also am working for another company on the side so that helps  :)   ...

Moo Free?
Nov 12, 2010

Is there a type of chondroitin called "Moo free"?  I found it online, but as far as I can tell, it's for dogs. ...

Free At Last Also!
Dec 04, 2012

Judging from some of the recent posts below, there looks to be an exodus of sorts from MModal and MT in general. I have joined that group. I left MModal last month to pursue another at-home job NOT IN MT with flexible schedule, hourly pay, and pays substantially more than what I made at MModal. Don't know what took me so long to "take the plunge" away from MT. After many years of MT with 12 of those years being with Medquist/MModal and the last 7 on the same accounts, I already miss the wo ...

Free At Last ...
Dec 08, 2013

FINALLY! I have finally managed to get out of MT permanently. I'll have to drive 30 minutes each way to work, but I will have the same shift I had working at home only for a guaranteed hourly wage! What an amazing Christmas present! Good luck to all of you who are trying to escape. ...

Free At Last
Nov 11, 2014

I just turned in my resignation.  I am free of the dreaded N at the end of next week. ...

S/l In The Free Fragment
Feb 10, 2010

MRI scan does show an L4-L5 disc and L5-S1 disc in the free fragment in the disc canal.   I am unsure of the part underlined, as I have never head that before. tia.   ...

Free Fax Program
Mar 19, 2010

Are there any free fax software programs? ...

Is There A Free Antivirus That You Use?
Feb 23, 2011

I have been using Nortons, but keep having problems. I really don't want to spend more money since I just paid $70 for this and it is giving me problems. Thanks ...

I Think I Worked For Free.....
Mar 03, 2011

So I finished my MT course and began to look for work..It is going well other than I was contacted by, for now I will just say a company, I transcribed some audio files (not medical, which I found odd when she contacted me but okay) took me several hours, met the deadline, filled out the W9 form (with social security number) and sent it off. We had two seperate phone calls. She e-mails me that once the report goes through the proofing process and their system that I will get the repor ...

Finally Free!!!
Oct 06, 2011

The nasty Q and I have finally parted ways!!!!  Looking forward to better opportunities than this horrible job!!!! ...

Thank God In Heaven I'm Free At Last!
Mar 09, 2012

Woohoo! Got the job offer today.  At long last I am out of transcribing.  I feel such relief I cannot even believe it.  No more production pay at poverty rate.  No more frustration of broken promises.  For those of you staying, I really do hope the latest promises of hearing you and making changes will be kept.  And for those of you who keep saying quit whining and do something about it if you are unhappy, venting doesn't mean we aren't doing anything ab ...

Pain-free
May 26, 2012

She is now chest pain free with nitroglycerin drip.   Is this correct?? or  chest-pain free  with nitroglycerin drip chest pain free in nitroglycerin drip ...

Free Spaces
Jan 26, 2013

Hi from Australia on Australia Day.  Only new at this MT at home business.  Struggling to get my line count up.  In all honesty it would take a few months to add in enough shortcuts to make it worthwhile.  I have been racking my brain over how to get those two spaces at the end of a sentence for free.  Finally it has come to me.  We all need to do an autotext incorporaing the last letter of a sentence and the first letter of the following sentence ie  I saw Liz ...

Free At Last From Nuance
Sep 11, 2013

Having a bad job is worse than no job, so I quit.  Nuance, a place with great expectations and a low-ball salary.  In fact it is the lowest wage job I have ever had with little to no benefits.   Can you imaging the smile on my face right about now.  Yes, yes, yes, I am free and singing a happy tune! ...

Soon To Be Free Of Mmoral
Feb 13, 2014

Yay, I just landed a new job away from this wretched place!  I posted my resume on the resume board and got a call out of the blue - perfect match for me and my experience and them and their needs.  I start very soon and could not be happier.  I just wanted to let you all know to keep trying, your perfect match will come to you too.  I wish for you all to feel the way I do right now, and it has been a long time since I have had this joy for work again.  I bid you all a g ...