A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Out of the mouths of babes! Last night I mentioned the coding education offer to my husband, sm - broke

Posted: Mar 11, 2014

and my teenage son, who has witnessed many meltdowns that I have had working for MM, was in earshot and simply said, Mom, wouldn't that be like marrying an abusive boyfriend?  His analogy was right on if you ask me! I have been sending out resumes, actively looking for another job and when I saw this I thought that it sounds great and is a very generous offer but in the end you will still be working for Mmodal who expects everything and gives nothing in return.  I am here for the 2nd time now for a total of almost 10 years with changes up the ying yang and not in MT's favor and not one single raise, only pay cuts.  I cannot believe that they will treat their coders any differently. 

I know one person who codes for - MModal

[ In Reply To ..]
Well actually I guess now she's an abstractor. MM bought the coding company she was working for. Maybe they just haven't got around to screwing with her yet, but she's been happily abstracting at home for MModal for at least two years and she tells me she makes "a very good living." I didn't ask her exactly how much.

My experience with MModal has been positive as well - East MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My company was bought by them. They did not offer direct deposit and there were other things they did not provide. I am making more $$$ with MModal than I did with them. No complaints here and I fully intend on pursing coding with this company.

crucial words - in

[ In Reply To ..]
this post is "my company was bought out by them." Anyone see where this is going? When M-Modal first started acquiring companies, things did not start going downhill for a while. They have to take over the field before they can screw you. History repeats itself. History repeats itself.
Rinse. repeat.
just because you are unhappy doesnt mean will be - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
and if I begin to be unhappy I will leave. With all due respect, not sure why you all stay in place where you are unhappy?
if someone wants - to
[ In Reply To ..]
really learn coding, the best route will be to learn through a school and not be beholden to any company reviled by the people harmed greatly by them.
You mean, you will leave after 2 years - right?
[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I am not unhappy with MModal, pay is okay, PTO is fine, supervisor is fantastic, like my schedule.

So I believe there are some happy MTs. Having said that, the coding thing gives me pause. You lose your supervisor, hours and, frankly, your MT job. If you fail, and people WILL fail, you are not guaranteed your old MT position back. And, the biggee, you are locked in for 2 years whether you like it or not.

It is not something to rush into whether you love or hate MModal.
I see your point but I think the MTs left standing will be let go - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I think they are getting rid of US based MTs for good. I honestly don't think they will pay their coders $8-10 an hour. I will ask what the rate will be and get it in writing before I accept.
I think the beginning pay will be in the $10 range - it is industry standard for newbs
[ In Reply To ..]
And this is MModal, they never pay more than industry standard.

I am an MME and I will tell you a secret, they will always need at least some MTs. I see work from offshore that has gone through 3 levels of Off-shore mt/QA with hideous errors left in the report.

No it is not. - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
The latest AAPC salary survey shows an average entry-level pay for new coders of about 33 to 34K, or about 16.00 per hour. It is higher on the AHIMA survey.

Coding pay - higher
[ In Reply To ..]
I just started as a Coder I, outpatient which is the most entry level type of coding, as a new grad with my RHIT certification and I make just over 18 per hour or just under 40,000 a year. I was making 16 an hour as an MT prior.
But when MM monopolizes coding, - TickTock
[ In Reply To ..]
the pay will go down. The AAPC survey is a point in time study, not a future projection, and would be nullified if MM tries to control coding.
With VR and doctor-generated reports, even - the Indian MTs wont be needed much longer.
[ In Reply To ..]
MT is going to disappear GLOBALLY, as it will become 100% automated and doctor-generated. And if anyone thinks M*Modal and all the other transcription companies don't already have their sites set on sending coding, and any other health information jobs down that same path, then I've got a nice shiny new bridge I'd be happy to sell them.
exactly. thats the point the naysayers are missing in this whole thing - East MT
[ In Reply To ..]
MT is already gone. I hope to get into the coding program because I have 2 years of University left. perfect timing for me.
I am only here because of a buyout. I left MQ back a few years ago sm - broke
[ In Reply To ..]
because of pay cuts, ASR, jumping through hoops for a raise only to find out that it was another higher hoop to jump through and never did get that raise. I cringed and still do any time an email comes out with the word/words rewards or exciting news because it always means less flexibilty and/or less pay. I really don't want to be negative about this opportunity as it does sound too good to be true as far as MM is concerned, which is what makes me nervous. As far as working here, I think I'm more frustrated and discouraged than unhappy, and I do know it is time to move on and I've been working on that. You do seem happy here and I hope it lasts for you and everyone else who is. Good luck on your test!

If she's "making a good living" at MM, it's likely - the reason why they want coding newbies.

[ In Reply To ..]
They'll work cheaper. And probably REALLY cheap, if they're locked into indentured servitude due to their shady-sounding "apprenticeship" offer.

Similar Messages:

Coding Education Timing
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking for some feedback/advice on pursuing medical coding education.  I'm 53 and will be retiring from my current government position in about 3 years - about the time the ICD-10 will be in full implementation. (On the side, I work part-time as a medical transcriptionist.) I was advised to hold off on taking a medical coding course for a couple of years due to the fact I would be learning from the current ICD-9 and then have to have retraining later in the ICD ...

Medical Coding Education
Jan 16, 2014

I'm still in the process of researching various online schools, but if I were to sign up with a program within the next couple of weeks, is it feasible to think that I can get through the program and sit and take the CPC exam before the end of year?  I've been told that to make myself more marketable job-wise, that I should be certified in ICD-9 and then can go on and take the ICD-10 proficiency exam through AAPC early next year.  Any thoughts? ...

Coding Schools/education
Mar 26, 2014

I think it would be very helpful for many people if some of the more senior coding people on this forum could advise on what new coders should look for in a school or training program.  I'm not looking for specific names, but rather that you should make sure your school teaches A, B and C.  Things you want to avoid are X, Y and Z.    Personally, my first school would probably have done the trick (a community college) if not for the fact that they only off ...

L S (Lynn Schoeler) Coding And Education
Nov 14, 2010

I know, I have posted a lot here in the last few weeks... but I need to get started.  I have decided to focus on the outpatient coding.  I have thought of enrolling in Andrews, but I have been an MT for over 10 years now and I do not need the anatomy classes, etc.  I have always worked on the clinic side during my MT career.  I feel in my coding career I would like to do the same, preferably for an orthopedic office.  I feel that training on just this side (and having ...

Extra Coding Education Question
Aug 24, 2012

I completed an associate's degree last winter and got my RHIT credentials.  I have applied for a couple local coding jobs, which I did not get.  They both had a coding test I had to take and pass before they would interview me.  I failed both of these tests miserably.  It was embarrassing.  One lady who was the HIM manager asked me if my program even taught me how to code!  Yes, I have my RHIT, but I don't really know how to code!  I know the basics, ...

Advise About Where To Look For Educational Grants For Medical Coding Education
Mar 04, 2013

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and I am a medical transcriptionist who wants to attend medical coding school, The Andrew's School, is the school I want to attend.  I would like to know if any of you have any suggestions about education grants that I can look into.  I would like some information.  Thank you in advance. Fondly, Suzie ...

Coding Offer
Mar 13, 2014

I just wanted to wish all of you good luck if you get the offer and want to take the test for the coding class.  We all have to decide what is best for ourselves.  I really hope this is a postive offer.  I understand totally how so many of us feel stuck where we are because our workload and pay have changed so much.  As others have advised, I would definitely get all the answers.  Unfortunately in the medical transcription world we feel we are fighting just to be ab ...

Coding Offer - Isn't Everyone Missing One KEY Component?
Mar 11, 2014

Nowhere in Duncan's email did he state what these coders will earn after the training.  For some of you this may not be a big deal and the focus may be on getting out of transcription, but what if at the end of the 3 months you were told you would be paid minimum wage for the next 2 years?  You have no way out then, except to repay the thousands of dollars they have invested in your training, and suddenly you're paying to work for MModal instead of the other way around.  ...

Pt Was Given Enema To Use The Night Before And *SIH-VA-CLEANSE* To Wash With The Night Before????
Feb 12, 2011

Sippacleanse? Sivacleanse? Supercleanse? I have searched and searched...thanks in advance!!! Not usually on OB/GYN... ...

I Told My Husband
May 21, 2012

been with MRC/Medifax/MQ/MModal for 15 years now. He said "Will they send you a service pin?"  He's a real joker, my husband. ...

My Daughter And Husband Both, Sat Me Down..
Jan 28, 2013

This weekend, my daughter and husband both wanted to "talk" to me.  Okay I said.  Uh oh is what I thought.  My daughter had tears in her eyes and asked me to please quit this job because of what she sees it is doing to me.  My husband, of course, chimes in.  I stated, "We need the money."  My blood pressure is up, I am eating all the time so my weight is up and they said is was like I never leave the house anymore and then asked me, "are you depressed?"  Even ...

Yesterday My Husband's Hours Were Cut...
Dec 18, 2009

by 5 hours a week, and because he's a supervisor, his salary will be cut by 3%.  Probably more cuts in the next few months.  I know it's not much, but it's scary.  We can't afford it (we're barely making it now), but we'll manage.  I've already taken a second part-time job to supplement my FT at MQ and am looking for another full-time job - that's not MT related. The company he works for is over 100 years old and has never had lay ...

My Husband Asked Me If The People Who Came Up With This New Pay Plan Were Smoking Crack. Sm
Dec 03, 2014

I had to laugh through my disgust. ...

I Don't Know If This Has Been Mentioned Before But
Dec 20, 2013

Every December, MT Stars would have snowflakes falling down the screen and they kind of cheered me up.  Is there a reason we don't have them again this year? ...

New Computers Mentioned Below
Oct 21, 2011

Are these laptops? ...

Are Those Of Us To Who It Was Mentioned To Go Live With DQS 7
Jun 06, 2012

today still supposed to start using it?  I haven't received any official email from the CCM stating to start using it today. ...

HTTPS And FTP Are Mentioned In A Job Ad. Can Some One Tell Me What They Are Please? Nm
Feb 26, 2014

Xx ...

Wow - What A Scam - No Company Mentioned
Mar 09, 2010

I recceived a letter the other day as an advertisement stating "Work from the comfort of your home!  Typist needed.  1,000's of immediate openings available.  No experience necessary.  Flexible hours, FT or PT, competitive pay.  Must be ablet to type 85 words or  more per minute.  Must be detailed oriented, accurate, and have good listening skills.  Typing test will be administered.  Most positions require that applicant reside in the US.  I ...

If You Are Researching An MTSO That Has Never Been Mentioned (sm)
Aug 21, 2010

on this board and BBB has no listing for them where can you go to do a research of them other than paying for a background search?  I tried the "Yellow Pages" but it doesn't yield much information.  Would appreciate any info.  ...

There Was An Account Mentioned Leaving WMX A While Ago, SM
May 22, 2011

Curious -- did that account leave yet?  Any word on how they are spreading work around the MTs?  I was wondering if this is one of my backups or not. ...

Ugh!!! Recent Company That Has Been Mentioned On Here
Oct 17, 2012

There have been recent posts on here regarding a company who wants you to have a certain version of software installed before you can work for this company.  I had several discussions with said MTSO, who stated that he would pay for it and take it out in increments from my paycheck.  Unlike other MTSOs, who may send via the internet and snail mail, they send paperwork via snail mail.  I called earlier in the week to see if it had been recieved  "no, and we will call you ...

Surprised No One Has Mentioned MT Week Yet. Nm
May 20, 2014

ff ...

Nuance Is Mentioned In This Article About
Dec 08, 2014

Very interesting...   http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/12/03/stephen-hawking-artificial-intelligence-could-end-human-race/ ...

Are Names Mentioned On MT Test To Get A Job For Real?
Dec 07, 2010

I took a test the other day to apply for an MT job and the doctor loud and clear gave the patient's name. The dictation was a consult. When the doctor mentioned the name of the hospital, I heard a beep, but when then the patient's name was stated I heard it. I hope those are fake dictations that we test on. If that was real information, I do not want to go there for help.   ...

Donald Trump Mentioned In His Speech
Apr 27, 2011

outsourcing of jobs to India!!!  Maybe he actually gets it.... How can our economy improve when our jobs are going overseas??????? ...

No One Has Mentioned The FIESA Elephant In The Room.
Dec 03, 2014

They have put out the word that they are hiring more auditors. That is probably to ensure more mistakes are caught, thereby lowering our pay even more and turning us against one another. I don't understand FIESA's role in this. Anyone?? ...

Precyse Lawsuits? Someone Mentioned "wait
Nov 28, 2012

until the lawsuits hit."  What lawsuits?  I'd love to get in on one of them..... ...

Education
Apr 13, 2011

Please help! I just completed an online MT course a month ago. While I was in the program, they added a couple classes, and in the process removed some of the course content from the class I was in. I now have to take the additional 2 classes (at an added expense) in order to "complete" their program. Their program was full of errors, and I was constantly contacting the school to correct THEIR answers! Needless to say, the level of education I received is not sufficient to gain employment, even ...

Bad Education
Mar 03, 2014

I went to school to be a medical coder. After I started the program I found out it was basically self taught. I completed it with a 3.8 gap. They didn't poo offer certification testing. It's been 3 years and I  still unemployed and not certified. What do I do? ...

Education Confusion!
May 09, 2010

So I am looking into making the switch from MT to coder.  The AHIMA program says it takes 15 months to complete and then you can sit for the CCA exam.  The AAPC program says you must complete it in 4 months and you can sit for CPC or CPC-H.  Wouldn't the latter be better?  I've been reading that CCA is pretty much worthless.  So, why would CCA take 15 months and CPC take 4 months?  Also, every job I've seen for a coder requires experience.  How c ...