A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Education confusion! - sm

Posted: May 09, 2010

So I am looking into making the switch from MT to coder.  The AHIMA program says it takes 15 months to complete and then you can sit for the CCA exam.  The AAPC program says you must complete it in 4 months and you can sit for CPC or CPC-H.  Wouldn't the latter be better?  I've been reading that CCA is pretty much worthless.  So, why would CCA take 15 months and CPC take 4 months?  Also, every job I've seen for a coder requires experience.  How can you get experience if you can't even get a job?!

I believe the AAPC program counts as one-year experience and that - me

[ In Reply To ..]
they verify that for you upon seeking employment.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Where did you see that? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Where did you see that on their website?

AAPC will let you take their certification exams without experience, but will grant a certification with an "A" for apprentice on it until you complete 2 years of full-time experience in that type of coding. Employers aren't much bothered by this--passing is what counts.

If you have completed an 80 clock hour course, AAPC says on their website that they will accept that as 1 year of experience. Andrews' course qualifies for that, and they will give you a transcript or letter to submit to AAPC.

thats what i meant, 80 hour clock course - so

[ In Reply To ..]
i wonder how many hours the AAPC and AHIMA count for? do you know?

Education confusion - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The AAPC program takes 4 months because that is full-time status, the AHIMA program is self-paced. You don't need to take that long but that is the amount of time you are given. I'm going to try and find an internship at one of the local hospitals or maybe the clinic where I currently work as an MT while I am still in my program to try and get some experience.

Similar Messages:

Confusion
Apr 05, 2013

I may be a total dunce about this but can somebody out there explain to me what the difference(s) are between employee, IC and statutory employee. I see all of these postings and am not sure what to think. ...

Punctuation Confusion
Jan 27, 2010

HEAD CT IMPRESSION Multiple regions of low density in both sides of the internal capsule, probably represent old white matter infarcts.  (Should there be a comma after capsule or not?  It makes sense with or without the comma)  ...

Venting About Confusion
Apr 16, 2010

This is what this doc says:  Certainly if there is any rhythms increase, worsen, blah, you know, whatever (chuckles), we will reevaluate at that time.  It doesn't make any sense and I don't even know what to type.  I'll probably get dinged on something by trying to make it make sense.  He's making me crazy.  ...

Chaos And Confusion
Jul 22, 2010

on a conference call for a new account with multiple locations all wanting specific things.  My head is spinning.  I think I am officially losing my mind.  Of course this account has been NJA most of the day.  Let's just say there is no mercy.    ...

Confusion Over Mt Career
Nov 12, 2010

my company is laying off and since i will qualify for unemployment, my new plan is to finish school in an MT program. i have tried 2x in the past but could never set aside the time/money to do so. now i have found this board, and am a little confused by some of the comments. i had no intentions of working from home but rather a hospital or office setting. i have seen job postings around town and a government site says something to the effect of 11% rise through 2018. so with all that said, how ...

Dosing Confusion
Nov 24, 2010

I have heard this before with other meds and have no idea what the doc is talking about.  He dictates sodium bicarb nineteen fifty mg.  What does he mean?  1950 mg or 19/50 mg, or sodium bicarb19 50 mg.  I looked up sodium bicarb for the dosing and still don't know what he means.  Can someone help?  Thank you. ...

Credential Confusion
Apr 13, 2011

I have been looking at some ads for coding level I jobs at a local hospital but I have noticed this other places too.  They prefer an RHIA/RHIT credential but will accept a CCS.  Doesn't a person with a CCS have more indepth knowlege of actual coding than a RHIA/RHIT?  I have worked for 20 years as a transcriptionist and have had many supervisors with degrees and the RHIA/RHIT credential that were my boss but knew nothing at all about transcription.  Do the people hiring ...

Confusion Caused By....
May 20, 2011

Press?   Delirium caused by Press?   ...

Confusion Every Time
May 24, 2011

Please please help....   EVERYTIME I hear this in dictation I can never just type it out and get it correct...example.... "measures two centimeters by one half centimeters"  how is this transcribed numerically??????   Please help!!!!!! ...

Confusion About Platforms?
Mar 04, 2012

This is probably clear as day to most and may belong in the tech forum, but I'm going to try here first.  I notice that Nuance owns eScription. Okay, got that.  In their ads, they are not compatible with satellite nor wireless internet. Okay, got that.  What I do not have is why a completely different company is telling me that eScription is compatible with satellite internet? Just an FYI, this has nothing to do with Nuance. I am not going to work for them and know nothing a ...

Out Of Work Confusion
Apr 02, 2013

Are we still supposed to go into remedy and get a ticket number for out of work or not? ...

Confusion About New Policy
Aug 24, 2013

As I read the new policy what has been eliminated is the option if you run out of work during your shift, to just call it quits for the day and take leave without pay.  Instead, you have to keep checking back during your shift.  However, if you still are short hours you have the option then to take leave without pay.  I know this is not what the TSM's are saying, but the option to take PTO or leave without pay still remains in the official policy on line, at least as of yeste ...

Confusion Regarding Medquist-MModal
Feb 04, 2012

What's the deal with Medquist-M-Modal.. is this a merger, complete takeover of Medquist or just rebranding? Curious because the deal which is being done is with CBAY, which is INDIAN OWNED. Deadwood floating on water. ...

Clearing Up VR Training Confusion
Nov 13, 2012

We need to clear some things up for new people, or those who have only done straight MT and will soon be doing VR.  VR DOES NOT require special intensive training, other than, of course, you still need to know how to be an MT.  That being said, make believe you typed a letter in your word processing program and you noticed a ton of errors when you went to proof it.  You would just fix them, right? It's the same thing, only if you're using the mouse, you would need to l ...

Out Of Work Confusion About Procedure
Apr 02, 2013

I don't understand the procedure now for out of work.  How do I do the teamwork punches?  Can someone explain please? ...

Confusion About The Mayo Clinic
Feb 23, 2015

Does anyone know what the latest status of the Mayo Clinic is, with regards to medical transcriptionists?  I remember they laid off something like 118 MT's last summer, and I believe someone here said they outsourced their work to Amphion.  So today I happened to look on the Mayo Clinic homepage under Jobs, and according to that, it says they're hiring "telecommute" MT's.  I can't find any mention of an MTSO... it appears to be a Mayo Clinic ad, not an MTSO ad ...

Education
Apr 13, 2011

Please help! I just completed an online MT course a month ago. While I was in the program, they added a couple classes, and in the process removed some of the course content from the class I was in. I now have to take the additional 2 classes (at an added expense) in order to "complete" their program. Their program was full of errors, and I was constantly contacting the school to correct THEIR answers! Needless to say, the level of education I received is not sufficient to gain employment, even ...

Bad Education
Mar 03, 2014

I went to school to be a medical coder. After I started the program I found out it was basically self taught. I completed it with a 3.8 gap. They didn't poo offer certification testing. It's been 3 years and I  still unemployed and not certified. What do I do? ...

ATSI - Transition From IC To Employee Confusion
May 06, 2010

A recruiter recently emailed me and stated in her email "After the minimumlines per day is satisfied for 3 consecutive periods as well as the 90 days you will be offered employee status and benefits".  What does that mean?  What does a consecutive period consist of - pay periods?  Annual quarters?  (and please don't tell me to "ask the recruiter" - I have to go through extensive testing before she'll communicate with me again and I want to know if its worth it). I ...

Confusion Over Start And End Of Pay Periods With Nuance
Dec 29, 2012

Okay, got the shift differential figured out but now I am totally confused as to the pay periods start and end dates. I have an email from Cathy Jones with Nuance that says this pay period runs from 12/22 to 1/4, which I think would be correct as it is 2 weeks.  My TL sent us an email this morn saying we have until 1/2 to approve our timecards and the pay period ended last night at midnight!!! What?  Don't we work two weeks and then get paid???? Please explain.  Also, have no ...

Getting A Podiatry Education
Aug 21, 2010

I need help again (please)   "no evidence of any ulcer (sounds like quemous) to the foot". Patient is a diabetic but no signs of of ischemia.  Any ideas?    For some reaon I am learning a lot this week. ...

Just Getting Started... Education??
Jun 17, 2011

Hello All! I have recently decided to begin a career in MT, and am trying to weigh my education options. I have a bachelor's degree in Hearing, Speech & Language Sciences, so I'm great with interpreting speech/language and am also pretty good at deciphering English as a second language. I've also worked for a hospital scheduling outpatient testing for the past three years, so I have a bit of a background in medical terminology (still so much to learn!) and the inner workings ...

Education On $1,000.00 Budget.
Jul 15, 2011

I may be able to raise one thousand dollars in a few months time. Are there any worthwhile schools online that I can enroll in for MT? Which are the best within the budget limit? Which do you suggest? ...

Education Assistance
May 30, 2013

I am looking to go back to school to train in accounting. I thought I had seen in the past people talking about some education assistance we would be eligible for since work was going overseas (or something along those lines). Does anybody know where to get more information on this? Thanks! ...

Education Question
Oct 26, 2013

I thought that I read on here a little while ago where someone said that if you have a bachelor's degree you can take a certificate course or something to sit for the RHIA?  I have a bachelor's degree in business and I'm interested in this, if it is something that really exists.  Anyone know what I'm talking about? ...

This Little Education And Experience
Nov 16, 2014

I realize people use creative license on their linkedin pages, not everyone, but a lot of people, and it can be deceptive and/or outight lies.  But this?  Really?   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/h-lea-cope/47/935/290?trk=pub-pbmap ...

Nuance Schedule/Webclock/no Work Confusion! SM
Dec 16, 2012

Can someone clarify for me how schedules/Webclock is supposed to to work???  You are scheduled to work 8 hours.  There is no work, you wait 15 minutes, supposed to clock out and check back later, etc.  If all of this considered part of your 8 hours??  or do you have to make up the daggum time for all this crap of checking back and forth, emailing to get jobs assigned, etc.  I only have those 8 hours and cannot flex.  Are you penalized for not getting your hours in?? ...

Lol...ad To Become An MT Instructor And They Will Provide You With A MT Education
Jun 24, 2010

Transcription Instructor and Will Train (Denver areas) Date: 2010-06-24, 9:43AM MDT Reply to: job-jeudz-1808559848@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] Part time instructor position Med Workshops' Medical Transcription School wishes to hire an Online Instructor. Great opportunity for the right person to work from home in the healthcare and education fields. We may also provide a free education in Medical Transcription to the employee. About Med Workshops Med Workshops ...

Coding Education Timing
Oct 20, 2010

I'm looking for some feedback/advice on pursuing medical coding education.  I'm 53 and will be retiring from my current government position in about 3 years - about the time the ICD-10 will be in full implementation. (On the side, I work part-time as a medical transcriptionist.) I was advised to hold off on taking a medical coding course for a couple of years due to the fact I would be learning from the current ICD-9 and then have to have retraining later in the ICD ...

Continuing Education Webinar
Oct 08, 2012

I am just wondering if anybody finds the continuing education webinars helpful.  This month is on productivity...wondering if anybody thought it was helpful/worth the time. ...