A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Coding offer - isn't everyone missing one KEY component? - anon

Posted: Mar 11, 2014

Nowhere in Duncan's email did he state what these coders will earn after the training.  For some of you this may not be a big deal and the focus may be on getting out of transcription, but what if at the end of the 3 months you were told you would be paid minimum wage for the next 2 years?  You have no way out then, except to repay the thousands of dollars they have invested in your training, and suddenly you're paying to work for MModal instead of the other way around. 

This sounds like the "Gold Rush" of the 1800s to me.  People were so desperate in their life situations that when they heard the word "gold" they ran.  When they got there, it had already been picked over and the mines were abandoned, making their lives even worse.  Don't be fooled by the gold, ladies ... we're all desperate but there are a few key components missing from these promises.

I admit it's a shiny glittery thing that they're luring us with and I thought a lot about it overnight but ALL of my friends and family are advising me to find out what MModal is PAYING after the training before I make ANY decisions.  I'm a single mom and there is no way I can afford to work for minimum wage or anywhere close for the next 2 weeks, muchless the next 2 years. 

Lastly - don't forget who we're dealing with.  I have very often compared MModal operations to a carnival game.  While they are showing you something shiny in one hand, the "trick" is being played with the other.  I've worked here for about 15 years and never, not even ONCE have I ever seen this company do anything even remotely beneficial to the employee.  Not even ONCE. 

ASK QUESTIONS.  Find out more information before you decide.  What they will be paying for the next 2 years is a BIG one.  Keep in mind that what they will be paying will benefit THEM and NOT the employee.  If that's OK for your situation then this sounds like a good deal ... but not offering up that information from the beginning and oddly leaving it out of the email is a huge red flag to me.

"The best predicter of future behavior is past behavior" - Albert Ellis

they could possibly charge your hourly rate for payback, - in addition to bonuses and ...

[ In Reply To ..]
The wages of trainers, etc... there is no way of knowing what the cost they could charge will be because they arent telling you.

What if the payback alone is your hourly rate times the hours of training? For example, $15 an hour for 20 hours for 12 weeks is $3600... plus the additional 2 months apprentice of $15 per hour for 40 hours for 8 weeks of $4800... plus any bonuses. That could well exceed $8400! How ya gonna pay that?

Also... what happens to your PTO when you drop to part time?

That's what scares me - this is probably a ploy - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Think of the money they could make off this scheme - it would be a HUGE shot of cash flow into their bankrupt pockets.

No thanks. If I get into Coding it will be on MY terms and with a reputable company, not one that is notorious for getting rich off the backs of its workers. Only this time it feels like they are exploiting our desperation and it feels a little creepy to me.

I'm concerned about the - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you leave voluntarily, you will be required to pay back the costs. While I totally understand there are costs for them, the thought of being stuck with no option scares the heck out of me. Not sure coding is what I want to do, but I know transcription is going by the wayside. Would be nice to get "free" training just really suspect of this. Pretty sad that we have to look for reasons to pick apart a good opportunity, any other company, this would be a great opportunity.
I guess - we need to. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
First ask, what the cost of the training is, should we decide to leave.

Second ask, what the compenstation rate is.

And what really stinks is...That they will change your schedule to meet their needs. I like my schedule, I actually had a say in it.

If I go into this, I want a contract with them that doesn't allow them to change the terms in the middle.

Can someone tell me what email you are talking - whodat

[ In Reply To ..]
about concerning coding ~ when was it sent out? Thanks

It was sent out by Duncan yesterday afternoon - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

at home coding - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I think coding jobs aren't usually at home jobs like transcription, so a positive point about this is that you have the opportunity to work at home, if this is important to you.

will learning this from MM get you a coding certification? Or - will you just be able to do coding for MM?

[ In Reply To ..]
x

You can just study coding books & test to be certified. - Doesnt require special classes, just passing the t

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Too True - Annie

[ In Reply To ..]
Plus why would ANYONE even consider doing this when the company is going through bankruptcy and since it's their first training program.

Key questions for me - CT

[ In Reply To ..]
Here are my key questions:
Recognized and accredited program? Accreditation after training? CCS, CCS-P, RHIT, RHIA?
Available to SHDAs also?
Guaranteed weekday shifts available for those who cannot work weekends/evenings on a regular/reliable basis?
What will this be paid? Per chart? In-patient v Out-patient? What is the anticipated average hourly based on that rate for someone out of training? 6 months, 12 months, 2 years?
Does this move from FT to PT based on the 20 hours of training and only 20 hours of production time?
Do you still accrue PTO at the same rate?
Does this affect any benefits?
Are you eligible for bonuses/OT as before outside of the training 20 and production 20?
What is the cost of "paying back" the training if you leave MM before the 2-year period?
How are teams formed and what are the upward mobility possibilities?
If you are moved to a position outside of coding within MM, are you still required to payback training?

Yes those are all good questions - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
And suspiciously, ALL of those questions were left out of his email yesterday. That speaks volumes to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if they paid by the chart - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and they monitored you continuously like they do now with MT/ME. Also probably deduct pay for any little infraction, not making chart count, etc. Just saying...

Coding Offer - grtmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Then why do you still work for them??There's a great deal of MModal bashing going on here. You all should appreciate the jobs you do have....there's always someone else in line behind you to take it if you don't want it.

I agree with you grtmt - please leave if you dont like it here

[ In Reply To ..]
i still make a good wage here, looking forward to the coding program. I have already been told I will be tested and can't wait!

"A fool and his money are soon parted." - And they saw you coming.

[ In Reply To ..]

Ahh, the old "if you dont like it, leave" - routine

[ In Reply To ..]
so nice of you to drop in with your ultimatum.

Aren't you concerned at all that there is NO mention of pay? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
What are they hiding? That would be the most important question with any job - what do they pay. Especially with M*Modal, who currently employ offshore coders and have for years. I've been trying to research to find what they are paid. Also, the computer-assisted coding is done on a Fluency for Coding platform. VR on Fluency is terrible, so that raises more questions for me.
Yes, why aren't they saying what the pay - will start at after training?
[ In Reply To ..]
It's a vital piece of information. Why would anyone in their right mind jump into this not knowing the pay????

They state what the pay rate is for MTs, so why not the coders?

Similar Messages:

Coding Offer
Mar 13, 2014

I just wanted to wish all of you good luck if you get the offer and want to take the test for the coding class.  We all have to decide what is best for ourselves.  I really hope this is a postive offer.  I understand totally how so many of us feel stuck where we are because our workload and pay have changed so much.  As others have advised, I would definitely get all the answers.  Unfortunately in the medical transcription world we feel we are fighting just to be ab ...

Out Of The Mouths Of Babes! Last Night I Mentioned The Coding Education Offer To My Husband, Sm
Mar 11, 2014

and my teenage son, who has witnessed many meltdowns that I have had working for MM, was in earshot and simply said, Mom, wouldn't that be like marrying an abusive boyfriend?  His analogy was right on if you ask me! I have been sending out resumes, actively looking for another job and when I saw this I thought that it sounds great and is a very generous offer but in the end you will still be working for Mmodal who expects everything and gives nothing in return.  I am her ...

THA - DePuy Component - Sm
Oct 16, 2012

"...total hip arthroplasty, using DePuy components...(s/l) "Mspec"/"Emspeck" metal femoral head, 36 mm diameter..." Have searched the J&J/DePuy site (never much help) with no luck, & not finding it in Stedman's Ortho v.5.   Anyone have a solid reference for this?   Thanks in advance for any/all help ...

S/l Richard Cemented Component
Aug 16, 2010

On a shoulder replacements, s/l Richard or Richer component. Can't find it, any ideas? Thank you. ...

HELP -"overdon" Patella Component - And - "keotibia Tray"
Jul 16, 2013

These are new to me and I cannot find anywhere! ...

Am I Missing Something?
Nov 20, 2011

I have been trying to get another job being an MT that is either FT or is PT to supplement my already PT job.  I have sent out way more resumes that I can count and only got one job offer.  This job offer was for 5 to 6 cpl.  I could have worked full time on this job, but I feel that an MT is worth more than what they were offering.  My questions are am I missing something?  Am I doing something wrong?  What else can I do?  It's just frustrating to finally ...

Missing Pay=No Work????
Jan 14, 2010

I am missing a little over  $100 from my paycheck from 2 weeks ago.  Nobody is answering my calls or replying to my emails.  I did get one email saying they were busy doing this weeks payroll, and they would look into after they were finished, but still nothing.  I am getting really upset about this.  It wasn't my whole check, but enough that the impact was felt (and is still being felt).  This also happened about a month ago, and it took it them several d ...

Futurenet, I Really Do Not Get It. What Am I Missing? Sm
Apr 02, 2010

I recently went back there part-time to supplement my day job after quitting because I got real tired of the highly fluctuating work flows.  My husband really pushed me to do this because we needed the extra money.  Once again, there is never any work for me to do, and yet they are hiring again?  Saying they need 2nd and 3rd shift?  That's what I do.  I'm not even going to bother trying to talk to them about it, because I already tried that and got nothing back ...

Missing Word
Jul 15, 2010

This is stated in the PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: (s/l sersa)  spinal stenosis surgery 3 years ago.   also dictated: Active range of motion of the left knee is approximately zero to100 degrees. Should translation be 0:100 or 0 to 100 or 0-100? Help please. ...

Missing HPs When Typing DSs?
Oct 02, 2010

Okay, I have had the suspicion that MQ programmed something when you bring up old reports when typing a discharge summary that the H&P doesn't show up.  Today, the dictator doing the DS plainly stated that she was reading right off the H&P.  I went to check in the old reports to maybe get some quick lines, but it wasn't there...as usual.  I typed what she said and realized that I had already typed this before and that I was the one that typed the original H&P ...

Word Missing
Mar 16, 2011

When you suspect that a word may have been omitted from dictation, do you make a note for this to be reviewed or do you think that is overstepping your bounds and basically saying the doctor made a mistake?  For instance, this ESL doc said "Bacterial endocarditis is not particularly recommended, but the patient has had Augmentin or amoxicillin and may be given a single dose.."  I suspect he forgot to say bacterial endocarditis "prophylaxis" is not particularly recommended...etc.  ...

Please Help With Missing Words
Oct 31, 2011

The introitus and vagina were prepped and an indwelling Foley catheter inserted to the urinary bladder to _____ (enclose with some???) drainage bag. The words in the brackets is what I'm hearing but it doesn't make sense to me - please help. Thank you Lisa ...

Missing Keystrokes
Jan 13, 2012

I am a remote transcriptionist for a large hospital.  We recently went live with VR Nuance/escript.  Ever since go live I have had the continuing problem of typing a voice file and will lose a keystroke, have to backspace, sometimes hit the same key 3-5 times before it will show up on the screen, sometimes taking me an hour to 2 finger type a report.  This has been happening since the first day of go live.  IT, Nuance nor escript have any idea what is going on.  Has this ever happened to an ...

VR Missing More And More Words?
May 30, 2012

Has anybody noticed that the VR on Nuance is missing more and more words lately? Not little ones, but 3 or 4 in a row on the Extex/transnet program? I'm finding that it's really starting to impact my production negatively. Now wondering if it's deliberate? or am I just being paranoid these days? ...

Missing Terms
Oct 03, 2012

Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. There is subluxation of the right thumb with limitation of motion include 4/5 apposition. There is considerable weakness of the right hand when compare to the left. There is decrease in the right radial reflex. The subluxation is probably secondary to the absence of ______ _____ of original fixation. Loose component, total joint replacement, right metacarpal joint. Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. I am struggling to figure ...

Missing Meridian
Apr 04, 2013

100% American MTs at Meridian, tons of work, very accomodating.  BUYOUT three months equals no work, less American MTs, and today lay-offs....How sad.  ...

This Whole Missing Job Thing
Nov 22, 2014

Has anyone else checked it, because I did and every report was there. I really doubt they would be so stupid as to steal again. They are already doing it legally with ASR...Mmodal is a lot of things, but they pay on time and seem, at least, now to do it correctly... ...

Missing Emails
Dec 14, 2014

Has anybody ever had problems with emails disappearing? I had emailed a time off request as I had changed accounts/supervisors and could not do it in webclock. My emails are MIA and I sent several about the day I needed.  ...

Late Or Missing W2s - What To Do
Feb 05, 2015

Here is what you can and SHOULD do if you don't get your W2 by Feb. 16. -  You’ll have to wait a bit: the IRS does not want to hear from you about missing forms until after February 16. After that date, call IRS at 1.800.829.1040. You’ll need to have your address, phone number and Social Security Number available. It’s also helpful to have your dates of employment, an estimate of your earnings and your federal withholding amounts – you can find most of thi ...

Missing Paycheck
Feb 10, 2015

My paycheck still has not arrived..has anyone else ever had this happen? How long does it take to get a re-issue? Thanks! ...

Missing Paystub
Apr 23, 2015

I'm missing my paystub from last pay period. Usually get it on Saturday, and here it is Thursday already. Just wondering if anyone else is missing one or both of them. Thank goodness I have direct deposit... but don't feel happy about missing a paystub and don't want to go totally online for it... ...

Back To Missing Lines
Oct 26, 2009

MQ uses Instant Text for their line counts.  I knew i had it for word expanders but prefer to use my own WEs.  Well, they have a line counter too but I haven't had the time to check it out. So, today, I took about 5 documents, copied and pasted them into Word.  MQ requires 65 CPL, Word requires 73, so I should have come out behind in Word each time.  Instead, I came out behind in every document, the least being amount 11 lines and the most was 29.  T ...

Missing VA Thread With Link
Mar 17, 2010

I saw another thread yesterday discussing VA transcription and someone had posted a couple of links regarding companies who were bidding on upcoming contracts....can't find it now.  Did someone save this or can the OP post again?  Much appreciated.. ...

Job Post For MSLA - Am I Missing Something
Apr 01, 2010

This job posting from MSLA says to send resume to above e-mail address.  I do not see an e-mail anywhere in their post.  Am I missing it?  I see there link, but that's it.  ...

Missing Days On Timesheet
Oct 01, 2010

Is it just me or is anyone else missing September 16, 17 and 18 from their timesheet? ...

Missing Transcribed Reports
Nov 01, 2010

I'm missing any reports that were transcription.  I believe I have all my correction reports listed in statistics.  Has anyone else had this problem today?  My payscale is low enough, I don't need to be ripped off!! ...

A Word Missing After Decubitus??
Nov 01, 2011

The following sentence is... "With some difficulty and after turning the patient on the right lateral decubitus, the area of the cecum was found." Should "position" or "side" be after "decubitus?" This was a foreign doctor dictating...could he have left the word out, or is this a common way to say the phrase? Thanks! ...

So I Can Understand ASR Missing Words,,but
Mar 05, 2012

How come it seems like the missed words seem to be replaced with sexual organs..I mean people dont usually have an extra penis and vagina hanging around all that often, and they show in some of the darndest places.. ...

Am I Missing Something, Grammar-wise?
May 30, 2012

It seems like lately, I've been seeing people use what I thought was incorrect grammar so many places that I'm starting to question whether I'm the one who has it wrong.  Would appreciate your help!   The usage I'm referring to is when people say "So-And-So" and themselves as an object or an object of a preposition.  The latest example I saw was in a flier that came in our newspaper from a local chiropractor: "....my father told my brothers and I about how he ...

Can Anyone Get Into Their Email? MyCommunity Tab Is Missing...
Jun 05, 2012

x ...