A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Ok, I'll bite. Is ANYONE able to make ends meet at M*Modal? sm - Sick of being sick

Posted: Dec 30, 2012

I am not asking if you are happy.  I haven't been happy being an MT for years.  I just want to be able to pay my bills, have an income and pay my bills.  I'm not making what I made years ago either, but I can pay my bills (not much left over after that's done.)  I am stuck with M*Modal for the time being and not of my choice.  I have worked for other large nationals that were constantly bad mouthed, and I was able to make a living at them.  Does anyone have work?  This place sounds unbelievably bad.  All I ever heard were complaints about my last national being a stinker, but I could live with it and may have to go crawling back to them with my tail tucked between my legs, if they'll take me back. I can't take early retirement yet or I would tomorrow!  

I was able to until a few weeks ago - something drastically changed

[ In Reply To ..]
We were on mandatory OT for months and months. Suddenly there is no work. I have a total of 9 hours in this week. I have a total of 14 hours in last week. The week before, 22.

I was told the accounts went to India. I know there are some regions with work yet, and I dont know why I cant have any of it, but I think that a whole lotta people are going to be without work soon. I have a really bad feeling in my gut that I cant shake for quite a while now.

I guess it depends on what kind of - bills you have...

[ In Reply To ..]
I am now living on about $300 per week most weeks. I kind of feel like I'm being prepared for life on Social Security which I guess I will be taking soon.

Only if you can live on $66/wk---- - Lee

[ In Reply To ..]
I have only been getting about 9 hr/wk for about 2 months now....I'm thankful my income is not the main one in our household.

nope - corgi

[ In Reply To ..]
Like another poster, I was on mandatory overtime for months but everything has dried up or reduced come October. My income has gone down over 50% since I started at Medquist/MModal six years ago. I'm sticking around presently for the health insurance benefits for me and hubby; at 55 and 59, I feel it is important for us to have insurance. Yet I am incredibly frustrated with learning new accounts, the stupidity of ASR and what it picks up. But right now I feel I need to stay put, as frustrating as it is.

If you can make ends meet on 30K - then yes

[ In Reply To ..]
Last year I made 29500 and this year it looks to be closer to 32K. By some miracle I still make 10/6 and have plenty of work. However, I personally don't think 30K is a lot of money in this day and age.

I made $29,500 - down from $32,000 last yr

[ In Reply To ..]
Down from $54,000 in 2001. Vern &Amy et al needed my money

I made 22,600... down from 47,000 in 2006 - someones gotta pay the big wigs

[ In Reply To ..]
The hunger pains do go away...

All I can say is thank God I have a retirement check - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and bennies from my last real job..this pays the extras so I can afford to really retire soon

I made 22 K down from 36K 10 yrs ago - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and I work a heck of a lot harder also

I went from $46K in 2009 to $18K this year, working 15 more hours a week. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel sick when it comes time to pay bills. I have cut out every luxury (including meat that isn't a mystery) and still can't make ends meet anymore.

M-Modal wages - McPeg

[ In Reply To ..]
I was forced into working for M-Modal after they purchased the company I was working for. I was immediately forced into doing VR work, which I had never done before. To this point I had already seen a decrease in MT wages from an average of $40,000 (that I used to make 5 eyars ago) down to just under $20,000. But now, doing VR, I was not even able to make minimim wage. This is all much too frustrating. They want expert skills at slave wages.

I had to walk away from M-Modal. The company I was working for was paying .08 a line, so when M-Modal took over, they offered me .04 a line for VR work. The only problem is that the VR work took just as much time to do as if I had typed the report myself, so I don't understand how they claim it can be done in half the time. It just is not realistic.

If anyone can make a decent paycheck at the wages paid by M-Modal, God bless them. But I wish us MT's could organize a huge "Walk-off" and let these companies know that we are no longer going to tolerage the wages they are offering.

The whole thing sickens me. My marriage is in jeopardy over financial issues that were never present until MT wages declined so horribly. Now I am stuck between being too young to retire and too old to start a new profession.

Making Ends Meet - GR8MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My company, too, was bought out by eminem. However, we decided to move from one coast to the other to move in with MIL because she needed us. With no rent, no utilities to pay (except internet and heat and lights in her garage where I have my little office set up), it works out quite well. We paid our own bills with my 401K until it was gone and hubby finally got hired for a job with less pay than mine!!! Yes, it is a struggle, but you do what you have to do.

The answer then is to move in with the in-laws - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's brilliant in its simplicity.

The key is obviously to redefine the idea of "making a living."

For those of us without the "in-law solution," maybe we should join up in communes and if we could maybe get 10 or 15 of us per "home" we could make enough to keep a roof over our heads.

Making Ends Meet - GR8MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I was not trying to be funny. My MIL has short-term memory problems and was becoming unsafe to live alone. Plus, she was pretty lonely. It just makes sense to do it this way. She is scheduled to have a carotid endarterectomy soon. But, we plan to stay with her until we retire.
I didn't think it was funny. I think the plight of the MT is horrifyingly sad. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that is fantastic that you were able to find a solution like that.

My point kind of was that isn't it sad that you can make ends meet only because you have that living situation.

I was mostly being sarcastic about the MT life in general and how we must redefine what it means to make a living at this job.

Truly no offense was meant towards you at all.

Making Ends Meet - GR8MT
[ In Reply To ..]
No offense taken. But, with the economy, I think this may be the answer for others as well. We had to go to the laundromat when we lost power here due to Sandy, and I talked to a young couple there who were doing their laundry while their in-laws took care of the baby. They were all living together and sharing expenses. If you can all get along, great.

Just one answer. I know it is not a perfect solution. I would love to have the pay I used to receive, but I think one has to just face reality and deal with it. As I learned years ago when I went to an Al-Anon meeting, "Don't expect him (the drinker) to do the right thing. So, I guess that translates to "Don't expect the MTSO to do the right thing." Quit being disappointed. Face reality. If you still love the drinker, or the MTSO, adjust your attitude or do what you have to do to stay. Fortunately, years ago, I decided that since I was not married to the guy and we had no children, it was time to get out, and I did. Now I have a nice husband. As far as my MT job, I can keep it until retirement, which is only a few years away...
Making Ends Meet - GR8MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Addendum to above: I meant to say "Hopefully, I can keep my job until retirement."
Excellent point, attitude is everything. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I have another 20 years to retirement so I suppose I need a long-term attitude adjustment or a winning lottery ticket.

You are correct though, either change your situation and if you can't (which I am in no position to do so at the moment), you better make the best of it.

Your are also correct that the MTSOs do not care and will not be changing, unless of course they get worse, which is always possible.

Similar Messages:

How Do You Make Ends Meet?
Nov 05, 2011

I have been transcribing for over 26 years and now I can't even make ends meet.  Does anyone else have the problem of having to be a workaholic or not be able to survive financially?  PLEASE give me any hints that have helped you out.  I'm tired and frustrated.  Thanks! ...

How Many Of You HAVE To Work 2 Jobs To Make Ends Meet?
Jul 03, 2010

Struggling To Make Ends Meet. Anyone Know Who Pays Weekly?
Apr 08, 2013

any help is appreciated. i checked the archives but there is nothing very current.  ...

Having Trouble Making Ends Meet At Transcend?
May 10, 2011

For those of you interested in Transcend's Q1 public statement, go here: http://www.gurufocus.com/StockLink.php?type=sec&symbol=TRCR&date=2011-05-09&report=10-Q Also, for those Transcend MTs having difficulty making a living...(again, this is public information for their COO) Compensation for 2010 Salary $275,000.00 Bonus $0.00 Restricted stock awards $435,780.00 All other compensation $2,206.00 Option awards $ $0.00 Non-equity i ...

Do We Have To Meet All 3 Criteria To Make More Than 7 CPL
Dec 17, 2014

Met 2 of the criteria, but not the third, so shows 7 cents a line. ?. I thought they were independent of each other. I am losing money for sure. Not happy. ...

Does M*Modal Have Make Up Pay?
Jul 18, 2012

Do they kick in the hourly minimum wage if you are not hitting your lines?  What about when you first start?  TIA ...

M*Modal - Does Anyone Make Decent Money With This?
Jan 03, 2010

I have been using M*Modal for about a month and a half now and I was really trying to give it a shot, but I am really doubting that I can ever make good money with this program.   I used to be able to transcribe approximately 25 min/hour and these were docs that went pretty fast, so I usually got 250 to 300 lines/hour @ 9/line, so I made about  22.50 to 27.00/hr.  Now with M*modal, they dropped the line rate 4/line and there is just no way that I ...

M-Modal - Anyone Found A Way To Make It Faster?
Jun 25, 2010

Wondering if anyone has been able to find a way to make M-Modal go faster or if it is just hopeless.  The software can be extremely slow and bogs down a lot, especially if you increase the speed or choose to optimize the playback to skip over blank spots (dictator not talking) in the dictation.  I increased the RAM on my computer with what my employer provided when we first switched over to the software, but it is still so much slower than our previous software.  Has any ...

Can You Guys Make Any Money With M*Modal
Sep 02, 2012

How are the benefits, health insurance, paid time off, vacation, etc.  Thanks ...

How To Make M*Modal Stop Incessantly Calling Me? I DON'T WANT TO WORK FOR THEM
Jul 09, 2012

I am so sorry if this has been posted before. I looked but didn't see any other posts. I applied with M*Modal a while back but landed a different MT job that I'm happy with. But these people still will NOT stop e-mailing me and calling me and leaving automated voicemail messages. ONE voicemail message is quite enough. If I was genuinely interested in working for them, I probably would have called them back, ya think?? (And boy, it's really nice to know I am not a human being t ...

Dog Bite
Sep 14, 2012

pt bit on finger by her own dog.  Right finger examination:  s/l "vasal clencher" wound overlying the palmar aspect of the middle phalanx   TIA ...

Ecm??? After A Tick Bite.
May 04, 2010

doc states after examing the site of a tick bite, he states "There is no sign of ECM at this time." suggestions?? ...

S/l Cuff 2 Bite...
Aug 05, 2011

Pt is status post a s/l cuff 2 bite to the thumb.... ...

*bite* Biopsy Technique
Apr 23, 2013

It sounds like *bite* biopsy technique. For polyp removal... Just checking this is a real thing and not just a stutter...Thanks for your help :) ...

I Am So Ticked I Could Bite The Heads Of Nails Off
Oct 17, 2009

I just got through with my 8 hours for the day. I could have worked longer, there was work left and my company does not mind. We are behind on discharge summaries but I am blowing steam out of my ears. I am old enough to quit this job and have I ever been thinking about it today. I have had people dicating for doctors who are ESLs themselves!! I was told not to change their verbs and such, leave as is. That grates on my last nerve. I have had people chomping gum in my ears, how rude is that? Did ...

Brain Dead - Tic- Or Tick-bite Technique
Nov 17, 2011

I've typed this a bazillion times, but my brain just won't function tonight. Eye muscle surgery. Reattached using 'tic-bite' or 'tick-bite' technique? Thanks in advance. ...

Okay... Let's Tell MM Why They Can't Meet TAT
Jun 12, 2015

degraded, demeaned, overworked, underpaid, underappreciated... ...

Ends In -rhagia
Mar 19, 2011

GI consult and doc says this "patient has no hematemesis, s/o menorrhagia, or bright red blood per rectum." This is an 80-year-old man, so it cANNOT be menorrhagia. So what is a blood-related condition associated with GI problems? I can only think of hemoptysis and I know there are probably a million other things it could be, but I can't think of them.  What ends in rhagia for the GI system? ...

Unemployment Unexpectedly Ends, Still No Job. Sm
Nov 16, 2010

Just some history:  I have been in denial for over a year thinking that I would easily get another job after being with MQ for nine years.  Ha!  I resisted going into another field as I really love transcribing and everything medical in general, also a former RN 25 years ago.  I have gotten a few offers for IC at a ridiculous rate and declined.  Mostly, I have not gotten even a response when applying for a position.  Now comes my belated rude awakening wi ...

Question About When Training Pay Ends...
Mar 27, 2013

I have been on training pay at $10 an hour.  I have this pay period and half of next pay period left of training pay.  Then I will get per line pay.  I have been on these accts for 3 weeks now.  Accts have lots of ESLs, bad dictators, not good.  Straight, no VR.  Things is after 3 weeks according to my lines and hours I am not quite making min wage yet.  After this pay period and part of the next when I get per line pay if it is not equivalent to min wage what ...

I Just Love How My TSM Ends All Her Emails With
Mar 21, 2015

any questions you may have.....only to completely IGNORE my emails when I do have them.     ...

Everyone I Meet Thinks I Have Such A Great Job...NOT
Mar 26, 2010

They say, oh wow you get to work from home, that's great. I wish I could.  Yeah it has it's perks and used to be fantastically flexible...key words "USED TO BE", now I'm tied to my desk, lost money, threat of money being taken away, company uses words like "lock down" -- isn't that a prison term??? Now I'm afraid to sneeze, breathe, take a bathroom break etc....GRRRR!  Just venting, everyone I know thinks my life is cushy...!!! ...

Can Someone Tell Me When TransTech Pay Period Begins And Ends
Jul 30, 2010

nm ...

Supplemental Insurance Coverage Ends Aug 31
Aug 29, 2012

If you have the Critical Accident, Cancer, Short Term Disability, etc through Alpha Staff, it is ending August 31, I was told by a phone call to Alpha today. Have not heard anything from Colonial yet regarding a new policy. Just to let anyone know who cares. ...

Time To Regroup; UE Extension Ends 12/29
Nov 18, 2012

I am almost 50 and have been in the MT field for over 25 years.  Certified, consultant, national sales rep, own company -- did all that and sold the T-shirts too.  Finally the stress of being an MTSO adversely affected my health so I resumed just being a regular ole MT.  That's a tangent, though... In the last 3 years, two hospital employers outsourced the MT Dept. Of course, both times we were ineligible for unemployment.  I went to work for a service who lai ...

Daylight Savings Time Ends 11/03/14
Oct 30, 2013

Spring Ahead, Fall Back If you work third shift, Sat-Sun, clock out at 1am, do something productive until 2am is turned back to 1am, unless you have work and need an extra hour of lines. Just saying... ...

Can't Seem To Meet The Minimum Line Counts
Dec 30, 2012

I am new at Nuance - started in Nov. I am beginning to get frustrated though cause I just can't seem to meet the minimum line counts with VR or typing. Please, someone tell me it's not just me .... I know they give you 3 months to "get up to speed", but I don't think that is going to be long enough for me at the rate I am going. Do they terminate you if you aren't meeting line counts after 3 months?  How long did it take some of you to be able to consistently meet the line c ...

Is It Common To Not Be Able To Meet Line Counts?
Feb 13, 2013

Is it common to not be able to meet line counts at Nuance? I have been there close to 3 months and cannot make my line count basically due to having some many ESLs and having to correct so many things in VR. Very frustrated!! ...

Federal Guidelines To Meet For ICs Under HIPAA
Sep 09, 2013

So I passed the BA Agreement, proof of liability insurance and Policies and Procedures with the company, so I may still be able to work as an IC and not an employee, but here is their response: "You must first provide proof that you meet the Federal Guidelines to remain an IC before providing proof of insurance or policies and procedures. You can research this by doing a Google search but these guidelines MUST be met in order to remain an IC." I already also passed the HIPAA training. What e ...

Wow! Accounts Have Little Work And Did Not Meet Minimum
Mar 30, 2015

wage average for this week.  :o  Even as a newbie I always met minimum wage and I now have 16 years under my belt, 8 on this platform and account. It would help if there was enough steady work so I a not bouncing all over doing tiny reports for 8 lines each.   I only had one larger bad ESL report for this grading period on Fiesa off my tiertiary account and it was below 99% so and with the crappy tiny reports and the guy who did 50 minutes of nothing I had to listen to my lines t ...