A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MedQuist pays $2 Million to settle lawsuit with Kaiser - factchecker

Posted: Aug 20, 2010

http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2010/08/16/daily23.html

Medical transcription services company MedQuist Inc. has agreed to pay Kaiser Permanente $2 million to settle a lawsuit in which the health-care company alleged MedQuist inflated its costs.

Kaiser of Oakland, Calif., filed its lawsuit against MedQuist (NASDAQ:MEDQ) during the summer of 2008.

Under the terms of the settlement, MedQuist of Mount Laurel, N.J., made a single lump sum payment to Kaiser on Aug. 16. MedQuist did not admit to any liability or wrongdoing in connection with the settlement.

The terms of the settlement were disclosed by MedQuist in a filing Thursday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Surprised heres - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
WHAT!!!! They are not going to pay it to AHDI instead???? I guess Kaiser is far more important than the transcriptionists were. They couldn't bother to pay out the settlement money to us, but can to Kaiser. SUCKS....

Surprised here -- excuse the extra little s. NM - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

MQ admits to NO wrong doing, yet they pay - IN CASH 2 million.

[ In Reply To ..]
This morning, I sit with NO JOBS AVAILABLE.

When the heck is Karma coming!

Riddle me this Q... - Babette

[ In Reply To ..]
1. How does a company that was robbing its clients still get clients?

2. How does a company that was robbing its workers still get workers?

Riddle - U R so right

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, you just said it all! I left MQ last February and I have posted numerous times about how MTs should boycott this company and never, ever apply to it. I can understand if you need a job and have to stay on and if they give you work, then I can't fault anyone, because I have been there too and still am, but if you sit with NJA and have to use up your own PTO or make it up, not on your scheduled time, then I say, don't let the door hit you on the way out! Unfortunately it is so horrible with these other companies, I don't know what to say. I had to take an IC position and I am working for two companies and I only want part time work. Go figure that????? I am hoping this one local company works out, but I heard she can be flaky about paying on time, so I may have to contend with that. The other company hired me and over hired (what else is new) and forced me to find another job, because it wasn't even enough for PT and the beat goes on. BUT, to get back to your statement of why do companies hire MQ, that is the mystery of the century. I doubt they are any better than the company that they hire!

Its one of the Great Mysteries of the Universe. nm - Rocky Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]

let me get this straight- Kaiser got $$ and we got Benchmark? - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
So MQ settled twice over its fraudlent line counting and all we lowly MTs got was Benchmark? Thanks AHDI for sticking up for us!

LOL. To MQ, we are bottom feeders - Slurp

[ In Reply To ..]
and bottom feeders only get scraps.

bottom feeders - zenaida

[ In Reply To ..]
We aren't even bottom feeders. We are what the bottom feeders are eating. Buried in all that fine print was the option to opt out of the class action settlement and pursue dollar for dollar settlement of what we had lost. Most of us didn't do it, either because we did not notice or did not understand what the fine print meant, or because to hire a lawyer to pursue it individually would have cost us more than we had lost. In my case it was $1,000 over the 10 months I worked for MQ. A lawyer would have cost me more than that, so I let it go, which is exactly what MQ and ADHI were "banking" on. Google Advance Magazine letters to the editor, an open letter to Medquist and AHDI. Isn't it ironic that the I in AHDI stands for integrity.

Did you get the post that AHDI AWARDED - Medquist? Yep, sleeping together.NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not only sleeping together, but eating breakfast - out of the same bowl. R.Raccoon -(nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Another Lawsuit Worth 2 Million.
Aug 19, 2010

Gee, I wonder if our pay is already being affected AGAIN or going too soon by the company figuring out how re-do our pay.  Be careful, we might get another survey.    http://philly.citybizlist.com/YourCityBizNews/detail.aspx?id=90208   MedQuist Pays Kaiser $2M to Settle Suit - cbl Share Email this Article By citybizlist Staff MOUNT LAUREL, N.J. -- MedQuist Inc. (NASDAQ: MEDQ), a medical transcription company, has agreed to pay Kaiser Permanente $2 million to sett ...

Medquist Buys Spheris For $116 Million, Spheris Execs Get Their $850K Bonus
Apr 15, 2010

Having paid too much you can be assured their will be layoffs a plenty in about 6 mos time. ...

Subtle Or Settle Anesthesia?
Nov 18, 2009

He has occasional groin aches but no bowel and bladder problems or "subtle" or "settle" anesthesia.  i first put subtle but then thought maybe there was something there that I was missing?? ...

Please Settle This For Me....4 X 4's Or 4x4's..QA Can't Make Up Their Minds!!!!
May 14, 2010

x ...

Time To Settle In For Another Weekend Of MOT
May 28, 2015

This makes 5 months now.  Does MM not get that POD isn't working?? What part of all this do they not understand??  I'm not a business person and have no idea how to run a business, but even I know when it's "broke" you better fix it!!!!  ...

Letter Today About Termination Of Kaiser Medical
Apr 02, 2010

Apparently they are making us switch to United Healthcare (probably cheaper I I think Kaiser is only in CA (???).   I really like my doctor at Kaiser but I guess I'll have to say good bye to her.  As for United, could anyone give me any info on this plan, whether you like it, what the insurance premiums are like for a single person, etc.  Any info appreciated :) Thanks!                     ...

Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Bay Area Uses Dragon
May 12, 2010

Kaiser Permanente started using Dragon vr software about 4 years ago. It started with one or two doctors, then gradually spread to all +/- 35 Radiologists.  I am now in "redeployment status"--Kaiser notified me late August 2009 that my job of 12 years is terminated as of August 2010.  Too bad landlords doesn't speak Hospital Efficiency...anyway, the idea was to give patients 'instant access' to their diagnoses, which I understand.  But ...

Does Anyone Work For A Company That Offers Kaiser Insurance To Their Employees?
Apr 03, 2010

I live in California and MedQuist has just decided to cancel their contract with Kaiser which we have had for years.  I really don't want to start over finding a new doctor but I am willing to find a new place of employment so I can keep my insurance with Kaiser.  Thanks for the info.  It is very hard to find this information on the internet. ...

30 Million Slaves
Oct 17, 2013

half of which are in India.  Bet I know where the other half are. REPORT: 30 million people are slaves, half in India... ^ ...

MQ Makes A Net Income Of 9.7 Million.
Feb 01, 2010

http://www.officialwire.com/main.php?action=posted_news&rid=58609   That money is OUR money for what MQ did to all of us and probably most of the money MQ took was from ASR!!!  I see MQ hired ANOTHER VP for global service?  I wonder how much this person makes?  Along with bonuses?  So, that makes what. . .,  30 some VP's who work for MQ?   ...

I Know This Has Been Posted A Million Times But . . .
Nov 16, 2012

It makes me feel better to vent on here. I'm so sick of QA. Now we are being marked off for blanks sent to QA. We were also told we could send the job to facility with 2 blanks. Now, I'm marked off for those. And, typing we will . . . instead of we have . . . I get that I got that wrong but is that one error worth a score of 98.2%. So, I guess I should be expecting a "corrective action" email from my TL. She said anybody below 99% would be receiving corrective action. Sigh . . . ...

JP: A Million Thanks For Standing Up For Us Yesterday
Dec 14, 2012

Yes! ...

$140 Million Judgment Against Precyse
Dec 15, 2012

Fatal outsourcing? Thomas Hospital hit with $140 million verdict in death of Daphne woman.. "It began with a mistake made halfway around the world. Juno’s doctor reviewed his patient’s medical chart and certified on a form the medication and dosages that she should take. He then dictated that same information into a phone line. In the past, a medical transcriptionist at the hospital would have written the information from the dictation onto a discharge summary. But Finkbo ...

Nuance CEO Made $37 Million In 2012
Apr 14, 2013

President of Marketing made $7.58 million. CFO made $6.17 million. Executive VP of Corporate Strategy and Development made $2.52 million. Executive VP of Healthcare Division made $1.94 million.   WHY ARE YOU WASTING TIME READING THIS?  GET TO TYPING!!  THE EXECUTIVES NEED THEIR PAYCHECKS!!     ...

Nuance Million Dollar Club
Jul 15, 2013

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nuance-announces-million-dollar-club-winners-hospitals-saving-1-million-or-more-last-year-2013-06-27 ...

IMedX Nearly $50 Million In Revenue Acquisition
Sep 11, 2014

Hey iMedX MTs, I thought you would like to know how well we are doing. I think it's time for a line rate increase! http://itbriefing.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=610308 ATLANTA, Sept. 3, 2014 -- iMedX, a leading health information solutions company and a leader in medical documentation solutions, today announced that it has added nearly $50 million in acquisition revenue over the past 12 months thanks to eight deals, including five in 2014. iMedX, the third- ...

Thirty-two Million Americans Wil Be On New Healthcare Plan
Jun 29, 2012

Hackers Demand $10 Million After Hijacking Millions Of Virginia Medical Records
Dec 22, 2009

This was in a UK paper but I don't recall hearing about it here in the US. Hmmm.....I wonder why.  Here's the link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1178276/Hackers-demand--10m-ransom-hijacking-millions-medical-records.html ...

Can Anyone Tell Me Something About The Lawsuit
Oct 16, 2011

Is it a class action suit?  Can anyone join?  Someone told me it can go as far back as 3 years.  ...

Do You Really Think Lawsuit Will Help?
May 15, 2012

I don't want to be negative but do you really think anything will change?  MQ got sued and that didn't exactly improve anything.  I think we got a discount on a medical reference book and a time clock.  I'd like to hear opinions on this. ...

Nuance And Lawsuit
May 20, 2012

If you don't wish to hear anything further about the lawsuit, please stop reading now. For those of you still here, it is my understanding that Nuance has used the same tactics as Transcend -- asking you to alter your time cards, reviewing your QA on your own time, "hands-only on the keyboard," etc. If this is the case, PLEASE contact the attorneys that are assisting the 'Grand 13.'  You have a case as well and do NOT let this opportunity pass by to make your statement loud ...

Anyone Read About The Lawsuit
Jul 03, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2012/05/11/medical-transcriptionists-say-enough-is-enough/ ...

Lawsuit Against Transcend
Aug 08, 2012

Its about time! http://mttoolsonline.com/2012/05/11/medical-transcriptionists-say-enough-is-enough/ ...

What Is The Nuance 13 Lawsuit About?
Aug 23, 2012

?? ...

Imedx Lawsuit
Apr 30, 2013

I sold my company to imedx and have not been paid what I was promised. I hired a lawyer and have been told that it would cost too much to sue. Is anyone else in the same position? Perhaps we could join together and share the legal expense. ...

Why Isn't There A Lawsuit Against Nuance?
Jun 19, 2013

I was never this depressed when I worked for Transcend.  Now, with the hounding e-mail, do this, don't do that, rule change, etc.  Oh, and I better not forget about Webclock, Fiesa, etc.  They have it all planned out to cover their ass.  Now I feel like at least Transcend gave a damn once in a while, unlike Nuance.  Every weekly change I see benefits Nuance, not the employee.  Sorry, I just had to vent.  The last few weeks have been nothing but stressed ou ...

Lawsuit Transcend
Sep 21, 2013

Anyone else get an email from Kevin Dooley and associates re:  Transcend lawsuit?  It's so hard to remember dates and everything from his questionaire sent.  ...

Transcend Lawsuit
May 28, 2014

Fighting Nuance would be just the same as the current Transcend Lawsuit. For those who are not involved, the latest news did not look good. They are trying to get it thrown out on the basis that because we are independent contractors kind of, the situations vary greatly and we should not be allowed to file as one unit. The attorneys for Transcend feel each MLS should file separately. Well, since we make slave wages, who the hell could ever afford an attorney? So, they have found every way p ...

Others Here Have Wound Up In Lawsuit
Jun 04, 2014

If you have come here for years as I have you would know about the poster who got sued by a company for what she posted here about the company. I do not remember the name of the company nor the poster's name but I do remember reading the postings and I thought OMG myself. The companies do come here and read these postings. If you post something that is not true they might be like the other company, able to figure out who you are by what is posted or some way. I am saying, I know this to hav ...

Thinking About A Lawsuit And I Need Advice
Aug 02, 2010

I need advice,  please,  from someone.   There have been many miscommunicaitons  with a MTSO and none have been in my favor.      I do have documentation of everything that  happened.  I have a close relative who is an attorney who has reviewed this infromation.   He advised that,  hands down,  I do have a lawsuit and could certainly file a claim against this company.  I am hesitant to do this.&nb ...