A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I wonder if the two year coding contract works both ways? - what happens if

Posted: Mar 16, 2014

After your six months of training, they put you on production and you are unable to meet their standards with accuracy or amount of charts?  Are you guaranteed to have a job for two years?  Yes, they are paying for your schooling, so you owe them two years, but you WILL be spending your time studying and supposedly the program is very intense -- do you get a guarantee for employment for that long?

I'd think if you were not up to snuff they would let you go. - Probably not have to refund the training costs.

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like you could probably get back on as an MT, but no guarantee of what group you would be assigned to.

yes, this - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Someone asked their TSM that question and that was what they were told. If you "fail" you don't have to pay back training. If you quit, you do.

If you fail, you can go back to MT, you just don't get your choice of schedule or your old team back.

However, you also DO NOT get to pick your schedule as a coder.

I wondered if anyone noticed that little tidbit - you do not get to pick your schedule

[ In Reply To ..]
How many people have lives that you can work whatever schedule they say?

Do the coders work Mon-Fri only? I know the training is Mon-Fri but what about when training is over?

And the schedule tidbit was why I didnt bother - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
What I have is not perfect, but it works for me and changes could really mess things up. I totally understand them having to do this and I don't blame them, just not for me. Good luck to all that make it through, keep us updated on how things are going

How would they know there would be MT work - to go back to?

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think all transcription is going overseas, but a lot of people do. Do you retain your full time status if you fail? I wonder if they will hire transcriptionists to replace the 60 coders?
The e-mail said "if" there were positions - available. No gaurantee
[ In Reply To ..]
Before we got bogged down in the fight between coders about certification, we were talking about that.

They do not guarantee you anything if you fail or quit the program. It says something about depends on company needs at the time.
So you could start the program, try your hardest - fail and then lose your job?
[ In Reply To ..]
Because there were no accounts available to you? That sounds . . . . terrible. Surely that wouldn't happen.
If you read the e-mail, yeah, no gaurantees. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not saying that to be discouraging or negative, that is actually one of the few "facts" we have. The e-mail said you could go back to MT IF there were any positions available. It would depend on company need and if there is a need you would work whatever schedule they had available.

So, if you get into the program, you better be 100% sure it is for you and you can successfully complete it. Hopefully they give them some time to think about it after the orientation.

I do wonder if people turn it down, if there will be an alternate list.

Wonder - What if NJA

[ In Reply To ..]
Like with transcription, will they eventually off shore coding as well and if they do, what happens if you get NJA within that two year period? Can you do both, transcription and coding? I have a friend who said she is not transcribing at all, as it has been sent to India; she does QA and editing only. I can't even imagine how little she is making money-wise; isn't it 3 cpl for those jobs.

In the MModal job ad for coders - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It says they do QA, which would be interesting to have people go from tier 2 to the coder training and then doing tier 3/MME stuff. You would think only tier 3 and MMEs would be picked for the coder training.

Haven't they offshored some already? - They have coders in India

[ In Reply To ..]
I just assumed that these 60 were going to be in addition to the ones in India, but maybe not.

Yes, I saw an ad where off-shore actually - had this training offerred before

[ In Reply To ..]
So they have probably been doing this program for a while over "there."

Makes you wonder why, suddenly, they offer it to us. I am in the group who thinks it has something to do with the restructuring. They probably have to bulk up the coding department quickly.

I just hope it isn't a one time thing and we get another shot at it.
I wondered if it was because - AHIMA suspended testing in India
[ In Reply To ..]
Because of reports of cheating and the test being compromised. I wondered if, perhaps they were not able to get enough coders now. I don't know . . . hopefully it all works out for the best for everyone.

Similar Messages:

Could Anyone Who Works For A Coding Service Help? - Sm
Feb 14, 2015

Our hospital is losing a lot of coders to services.  I don't know which ones, might be the same, might be different.  My question is, are these services kind of like MT services where you work for a national company and get a particular hospital to do their coding and get crappy benefits if any?  Do they pay per chart?   I have heard that some of these coders are making $5 or more an hour than at the hospital (which isn't hard since it pays for crap) but if you get ...

Two-year Coding Programs
Oct 06, 2013

There was a post elsewhere about a coding program requiring 2 years.  If you are considering coding, please be aware that a 2-year program would be very unusual.  I have not seen one, other than possibly some for-profit diploma-mill "billing coding degree" affairs, which I don't think anyone here would recommend.   Please be careful that you understand what the requirements and legitimate options are.     ...

Best Time Of Year For Coding School?
Apr 30, 2014

Hello.  I was wondering if there is a best time of year to start coding school so I wouldn't have to buy many more books or new books when having to take an exam.  I know a lot of factors would go into this, such as how long it would take me to do the course, but was wondering anyway.  I plan to go through Andrews.  Thanks so much for your input! ...

54-year-old. Should I Go To School For Coding Or Stay In Transcription? Sm
Mar 05, 2010

At my age, should I try to go to school for medical biilling/coding or just stay wtih transcription or try another job (JoAnn Fabrics, etc.).  I am 54 and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there?  If coding, what schooll(s) are good on-line or in AZ or OH?  Thanks! ...

What Do Hospitals Do With Their Coding Books From The Prior Year?
May 23, 2014

I was just wondering since each year the coding books are updated, what do hospitals do with the previous year's books?  There hasn't been an update to ICD-9 since 2012? Correct?     Thank you, PT ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Looking For Ways To Make Sure You Don't Get 99%.
Jan 03, 2013

Mark me for missing the word "the" in a sentence??? - and on a dictator who mumbles 100 miles per hour? ...

Does It Work Both Ways?
Mar 28, 2014

Just wondering if those of you who oppose offshoring would work for a foreign company?  I know of some MTs who work for Australian company Ozescribe - they have MTs in Australia, USA, Canada and Israel plus probably a few other countries.  Isn't that the same as Indians transcribing for US companies? If not, what makes it different?  I'm trying to understand why it's okay for US workers to work for other countries but not the other way around?  Or would it be ...

What Are Some Ways To Increase Productivity? Nm
Apr 17, 2011

x ...

What Ways Can The Images Be Said At The Start Of A Chest CT?
Jul 20, 2010

What are some ways that a doctor can dictate a chest CT?  I can't understand what she is saying.   It sounds like amiable mirror column images were obtained.  ...

What Are Different Ways To Calculate For Faxing Reports?
Oct 12, 2011

My employer has agreed to pay to have me fax reports to several different facilities.  I have to print out every report I fax (if someone knows a different way, I'm listening)...  so, we're talking time, paper, toner, wear and tear on equipment.....   How are people out there calculating to do that?  My employer hasn't a clue and I'm treading unfamiliar waters?  Any help?? ...

Caliceal Or Calyceal Stone, I Have Seen Both Ways, Which Is The
Feb 20, 2013

preferred way. ...

Ha Ha Winning Ways News Letter
Jul 29, 2013

Seriously who cares? Give me work and pay me a decent wage. I don't ask for too much. ...

Pt Scores Himself As A 13 Out Of 15 On S/l AY-WAYS Score With Urinary Incontinence. Nm
Jun 10, 2010

:) ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

Is Rhomboid Flap Capitalized. I Can Find It Both Ways!
Oct 13, 2011

xx ...

Oh My Dear Lord - 10 Nifty Ways To Pump Up Production?
Mar 24, 2010

Once again, whoever is writing this drivel needs fired and spread out their salary to those actually working.  Just when I think I can't get any more fed up. . . ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

MDI Contract
Mar 15, 2010

I was looking through papers this morning and happened upon the contract MDI had us sign last January as independent contractors, but to be treated as statutory employees for FICA.  I didn't see anywhere where it stated an end date, and it did state that the contract was transferrable to any entity that might acquire MDI, if I read and understood it correctly.  Does that mean that Transcend was then bound by that same contract?  I am just wondering, since our line rate w ...

IC With No Contract
May 12, 2010

I was hired to work as an IC but with no contract.  Does that sound okay? ...

IC Contract
Oct 26, 2010

Need information.  Contemplating going IC instead of employee and have very little knowledge about IC work.  Does the MTSO draw up the contract or the MT?  Any helpful hints would be appreciated. ...

My Contract With TT
Mar 09, 2014

What happens with my contract with TT if I send all my information to iMedX? Would I then be an employee of iMedX.  Can I be fired (by whom) for not giving them my informaton?  I do not know who they are.  I thought since TT merged that I was still employed by TT.  Can I get unemployment if I refuse to give my information to iMedX? ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

MDI/TRANSCEND CONTRACT
Nov 21, 2009

Got my contract today!.  No surprises.  Everything straightforward.  Sounds like a good deal to me!! ...

IC's, Did You Draw Up Your Own Contract? Sm
Apr 20, 2010

Can you all tell me if you drew up your own contracts, went to an attorny, etc? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. ...

Contract Abuse?
Jun 26, 2010

Hi,   I have a big dilemma and I need help. I have been working for the same company for 6 years now. At first I worked for a bunch of doctors and a hospital and then quit the other docs and the hospital because one of my doctors said that he did not like to share and that he wanted me to work only for him. I did not know that was illegal to do until recently being that MTs are contractors. So I have been working for this one doctor and all the nurses and interns in the office for about 5 ...

Question About IC Contract
Aug 31, 2011

I have never worked as an IC before, only as an employee. I was offered a position by a company looking for an IC, and they have an IC contract that they send you and want you to sign. Is it common for an IC contract to contain the clause that you must provide 14 days' notice if you are resigning and that if you provide less than 7 days' notice they have the right to withold 50% of the monies owed to you? I can completely understand that they want adequate notice (just like any employe ...

Contract For Doctor
Nov 14, 2011

If you have your own account, is it necessary to have the doctor(s) sign a contract before you start with them?  Thanks ...

Contract Concern
Nov 13, 2012

Can someone please help me. I am new to the company, I have not been here 90 days yet. my TSM is "gone" so I have a new one now and have not yet spoken with her. I am very concerned because I realized that my "contracted" rate of 4 and 9 cpl at 150 lph does NOT meet my state minimum wage, I rarely get straight typing to get the 9 cpl. I also am not meeting the 150 lph yet, even so that is only like 6$ an hour, that is horrible. I should have done my math beforehand. I didn't think they coul ...