A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Does it work both ways? - Curious

Posted: Mar 28, 2014

Just wondering if those of you who oppose offshoring would work for a foreign company?  I know of some MTs who work for Australian company Ozescribe - they have MTs in Australia, USA, Canada and Israel plus probably a few other countries.  Isn't that the same as Indians transcribing for US companies?

If not, what makes it different?  I'm trying to understand why it's okay for US workers to work for other countries but not the other way around?  Or would it be okay if Canadians,  Australians, British, etc, worked on US accounts? 

I'm really just trying to get my head around the difference.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Indians work for India hospitals. Canadians for Canadian hospital - US for US hospitals

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not recall anyone in my years of MT work in USA stating they were typing for a facility in another country here in US. But, it seems to me the solution is each work for their own industry. There should be ample jobs in developed nations where billions of people live. But I am not familiar with their charting system or pay structure. Has anyone ever transcribed for hospitals in Jakarta that you know of? I doubt they outsource.

And that's how it should be. Wherever you live is where you should work. - Period.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm an American living in America and will only work in/for America! I don't want another country taking my work from me so I won't do it to them. Unless you come here LEGALLY and work on paper, pay taxes, and have a Visa or a citizenship then that's fine with me too. I'd do it that way for whatever country I'd moved to. It's only fair.

How would those other countries like it if we did their outsourced work for cheaper in the States and they were unemployed?

It's just wrong IMHO

No - Period

[ In Reply To ..]
You should also consume things only produced in America, not those cheap stuffs imported from other countries. That will make the flip side of coin go your way too.

There is no MT industry in 3rd world nations - Healthcare system differences

[ In Reply To ..]
The healthcare system in the US is considerably different from what exists in 3rd world nations. In the US, medical records and documentation is only partly to aid physician recollection of care. The majority of it is to facilitate continuity of care in a larger healthcare network, justify insurance payments, and provide a defense against lawsuits.

Healthcare in 3rd world nations is slim to nonexistent, and what little there is uses mostly handwritten notes, if there is a medical record at all. Outside of a capital city with a medical college, the most elaborate system might only be a 5 x 8 card in a file.

Look at photos of most hospitals over there. Large rooms lined with narrow cots, families squatting around everywhere, flies, stained walls, concrete floors. Nobody goes there unless they are desperate, and they bring family to care for them, their own sheets, and their own food. There are no nurses to speak of, much less medical records, computers, typewriters, or MTs.

Similar Messages:

Looking For Ways To Make Sure You Don't Get 99%.
Jan 03, 2013

Mark me for missing the word "the" in a sentence??? - and on a dictator who mumbles 100 miles per hour? ...

What Are Some Ways To Increase Productivity? Nm
Apr 17, 2011

x ...

What Ways Can The Images Be Said At The Start Of A Chest CT?
Jul 20, 2010

What are some ways that a doctor can dictate a chest CT?  I can't understand what she is saying.   It sounds like amiable mirror column images were obtained.  ...

What Are Different Ways To Calculate For Faxing Reports?
Oct 12, 2011

My employer has agreed to pay to have me fax reports to several different facilities.  I have to print out every report I fax (if someone knows a different way, I'm listening)...  so, we're talking time, paper, toner, wear and tear on equipment.....   How are people out there calculating to do that?  My employer hasn't a clue and I'm treading unfamiliar waters?  Any help?? ...

Caliceal Or Calyceal Stone, I Have Seen Both Ways, Which Is The
Feb 20, 2013

preferred way. ...

Ha Ha Winning Ways News Letter
Jul 29, 2013

Seriously who cares? Give me work and pay me a decent wage. I don't ask for too much. ...

Pt Scores Himself As A 13 Out Of 15 On S/l AY-WAYS Score With Urinary Incontinence. Nm
Jun 10, 2010

:) ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

Is Rhomboid Flap Capitalized. I Can Find It Both Ways!
Oct 13, 2011

xx ...

I Wonder If The Two Year Coding Contract Works Both Ways?
Mar 16, 2014

After your six months of training, they put you on production and you are unable to meet their standards with accuracy or amount of charts?  Are you guaranteed to have a job for two years?  Yes, they are paying for your schooling, so you owe them two years, but you WILL be spending your time studying and supposedly the program is very intense -- do you get a guarantee for employment for that long? ...

Oh My Dear Lord - 10 Nifty Ways To Pump Up Production?
Mar 24, 2010

Once again, whoever is writing this drivel needs fired and spread out their salary to those actually working.  Just when I think I can't get any more fed up. . . ...

Once And For All ... It Is Degenerative Disk Or Disc Disease? I Keep Getting Corrected Both Ways :)
May 12, 2010

Disk versus disc ...

Is It Cam Boot Or CAM Boot? I'm Never Sure And I Find It Both Ways!
Nov 18, 2014

xx ...

Is It Schedule II Narcotics Or Schedule 2 Narcotics? See It Both Ways...
Sep 19, 2014