A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

work has dropped off so bad now that I am forced to look for work again - T

Posted: Feb 14, 2013

Really upset right now - work has dropped off so bad now that I am forced to look for work again.  I am upset because there was work on the system and a few of us were asked to stop so that the people that have been there the longest have a chance at work.  I dont think this is very fair as I have bills also to pay and surely cannot like this.  I thought it was first come first serve.  Am I so wrong? 

What company is this for? No one should be asked to keep off the system. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Landmark does this, asks you to log out when work is lower, not sure if that is who she was talking - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I happen to agree and disagree - APOV

[ In Reply To ..]
When there is plenty of work, I'm fine with first come, first serve, except that my coworkers cherry pick. When I realized they were skipping hard work and only getting easy work - on a night I had just done 20 really hard reports - I stopped caring about FIFO or my coworkers.

The other thing is that I work on an account that left the MTSO due to complaints of poor quality and TAT and because I was the last hired, I lost my job. When the client realized the grass was not greener out there in MT land and came back, I was re-hired. Later some new hires were put on the account and I literally CRINGE when I see their work. The company laid off some workers and now I am second in seniority. I complain very loudly if volume drops and I can't pay mortgage.

I see myself as having paid my dues and the newer MTs as not caring about quality or anyone but themselves. I see myself first, client second, my coworkers last.

May sound selfish, but that's the way it goes for me now. Your situation may be totally different where your coworkers actually care about each other and the client. But I think it is getting very shark-like out here in MT land.

Hmmmm - LongTimeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I think your situation is the fault of the MTSO if they are hiring less than adequate MTs. I understand the whole "seniority rules" but if new MTs are hired, UNLESS it is explained to them that when you "complain loudly" that your mortgage cannot be paid that they will have lines cut, then that is completely not fair. You are all MTs and if some are not as adequate as you, then they should be let go.

that's not gonna happen - APOV

[ In Reply To ..]
I could go on and on about the things I object to the MTSO doing, but you wouldn't believe even half of it. Thing is, it actually hurts me to feel I've been put into a position of behaving this way. I do believe in karma, though. And yes, I have been looking for a job outside of MT land because of what is going on.

I am with you here - slaphappy

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to agree with you. When I am hired as an employee, then as a general rule who is there the longest has the most say. That is the way of it, not just in our line of work, but in others. I have worked several types of work, i.e. factory, stores, etc. Always, if there is not enough work, the ones with the most time are asked first to work. I too have put in my time, I want something to compensate for it. There again, though, if I have made what I need and I know it is slow, I will volunteer to back out if someone else needs it more. That, in my opinion, is being a team member.

I agree IF it is understood up front. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That definitely is how it usually is with any company, BUT in the MT industry, for some reason the company hires you and claims it is "full-time" and it never is even close. I don't think it is fair, at that point, to make a newer person take off so that a person with seniority can work. They shouldn't have hired the newer person to begin with, or they should have a p.r.n. person or something.
I agree and disagree - APOV
[ In Reply To ..]
A couple of examples: From the MTSO POV, they want to be overstaffed to improve TAT, so then it becomes a shark feeding frenzy, until the senior MTs complain.

Or maybe the MTSO pays senior MTs more and wants to push the junior employees more work so his payroll is less, which then results in the client getting inferior work, and the senior MTs complain about lack of work. Maybe the MTSO cut a deal to the junior MTs that promised volume and did not tell the senior MTs and acts innocent when the senior MTs complain.

I think to expect that anyone doing MT will be treated fairly is naive.

Similar Messages:

Question For Those Who Have Dropped To PT With MQ
Nov 15, 2011

I want to drop to PT so I can find a different job.  I'd love to flat out quit but I can't take the chance.  But my question is, when you drop to PT, do you have to tell your CCM why or do you just inform her?  I really don't have a problem telling her I can't live on these poverty wages, but let's just say she isn't my favorite person, but I know she will be nosey and ask WHY?  Am I obliged to tell her?  And how do you drop to PT?  I ...

Across The Board Pay Cuts Dropped My Pay From Avg 9.51 Hr To 7.30 Hr.
Aug 08, 2011

and I've been doing this for over 20 years!  Used to make $18 per hour doing the same thing for the same company.   Going back to school and getting the heck out of this business.  ...

I Just Dropped My Favorite Headset In My
Sep 27, 2012

water glass :(  It was a really old Dictaphone headset with a three mile long cord.  I hope it works when it dries ...

Part-time Pay Dropped By $7.
Nov 30, 2013

I put my heart and soul into this job, a job I used to get paid $20-plus an hour for, and my most recent pay check was only $297 for two weeks' work, part-time.  Up until now I was getting a whopping $304 per pay period.  Never mind trying to understand the pay stub explanations.  Even the base pay is less than my state's minimum wage, which is puny at that.   Yet they have the gall to complain over an ADT omission or a minor text error.  I swear ...

Number Of MQ Employees Dropped By ? Since Cbay
Jan 18, 2010

Does anyone have an article that I think was posted here awhile ago about CBay's plans for cutting US MTs? It might have been an Indian article.  Somehow the numbers 10,000 then down to 3,000 seem familiar, but I'd appreciate a link if anyone knows where to find this info. Thanks. ...

I Am So Relieved. I Finally Took The Plunge And Dropped To PT So
Nov 20, 2011

I can start looking for another job.   Well, since you have to give 30 days' notice, I can't start PT until Dec 20, but whatever.  My CCM didn't really seem to like it.  Calling me up, "just want to know if there's a problem, so why are you going PT....are you looking for another job?"  So many questions.  I wish I hadn't answered the phone.  Um, DUH, it's because I don't feel stable in this job.  Tired of worrying if I w ...

My Daily Line Counts Have Dropped Quite A Bit After All This
Apr 29, 2015

mandatory OT.  I'm too tired and burnt out, and my hands hurt too bad.  It's having the opposite effect of what they're intending...  I guess if whoever is making the mandatory OT decision knew anything about business, though, they'd know that too much OT for too long is counter-productive. ...

Dropped To P/T Due To Line Count, But No Work With 7 Accounts
Sep 17, 2013

Anybody out there with SoftScript being bumped down to P/T for line count?  Have been with them 11 months and have run out of work every single pay period with 7 different accounts.  Nobody EVER, EVER answers any emails.  Have never even heard from my PM.  I get over 99.75% on every single audit, yet miss the count by 1 or 200 hundred and I lose even more money? Curious if it is just being done because of the new insurance laws.  Putting everybody down to PT so they don& ...

Forced To Use PTO?
Jun 04, 2015

Can anyone tell me where the employee handbook is now located since they shut down Enrich? If anyone has a copy can you tell me or copy me the part about taking time off sick with a doctor note??? I was out last week due to being in the hospital. I had to run and get a dr note for them from the hospital, well send someone, and have it faxed pronto. I was excused for 3 days work, which I only work part time anyhow. I now get told they are forcing me to use PTO hours for those 3 days, which is 16 ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

I Just Do Not Understand How We Can Be Forced To Use PTO For NJA
Dec 02, 2013

How is this even legal? ...

FORCED To Abandon A Job...this Is Pathetic!!
Mar 17, 2010

I was just forced to abandon a job to save my pay. I've only been in my shift for 1 hour and have gotten the same horrible dictator for every report and have to send them all to QA!!!! I just went into my 4th report and SURPRISE it was the same dictator....This isn't fair!!!!! ...

Transcend/MDI Employee Forced Out
Jan 18, 2011

The story is I worked on same account for 4 years under MDI with no complaints about my work, always went above and beyond.  I was at top of pay scale.  Then, Transcend took over a year ago and has been hiring a lot of new employees, probably at a lot lower line rate with the industry the way it is, and now I had a "random" audit done of my work and said I failed and must go thru probation.  I said "no" to probation because upon my review, I found it was not random repor ...

Can You Be Forced To Change Your Schedule?
Sep 20, 2012

I signed what I assumed was a contract when I was hired and my hours were part of that contract.   Can they make you change your hours?  ...

Forced To Downsize--into The Backseat Of My Car?
Jul 02, 2013

Anybody else facing homelessness thanks to Nuance?  This is a serious inquiry, no snark. I'd like to network with others about what it might be like to be homeless because of your employment in this company.     ...

Since Mmodal Has Forced Us To Be As Efficient As Possible
Nov 12, 2013

I'm wondering what method do you use in DQS to get the best line count for Mmodal?  Do you mostly use the mouse/keyboard combo? Do you use the (annoying/ineffective/slow) feature that is supposed to jump the cursor to line up with the audio position where the editing needs to be done? Do you keep your right hand on the arrow keys and left hand on ctrl/alt/shift keys, moving the cursor past each word (likely the most efficient method, but moving your fingers near constant can lea ...

Anyone Who Was Fired, Quit, Or Forced To Resign
Jun 17, 2011

Did you apply for unemployment, did you get it, did you have to appeal?  I have never lived off the system and figured I payed into it for my entire adult life, and have reached a point where I need financial assistance.  I was asked to resign due to being unable to work due to physical inabilty on my part and am stuck, so I applied for it.  Just looking for some good news from other MQ employees. ...

Move Hours To Nights And Weekends Or I Will Be Forced
Aug 21, 2010

Isn't that a kicker?   WHERE IS MY WORK?????   Does anyone know how to manage a workload?  My CCM obviously needs help!  Six months ago, it was "We need Monday hours... move them or else." Four months ago, it was "We need Friday hours... move them or else." Three months ago, it was "We need Saturday evening hours... move them or else." One month ago, it was "I have no Sunday coverage... move hours or else." This month it is "We do not need Monday hours, move ...

Electronic Medical Records Will Be Forced Onto Doctors
Aug 03, 2012

The family practice I go to is using this. The doctor asks questions and constantly inputs into his PC tablet as we speak. Its not looking good for the MT field. Anyone else worried? I worked on a project transferring hospital charts from Legacy to Epic. Once they were done with using us for that project, we were let go with no notice. Just thinking my time is running out and I need to get to medical coding school fast! Then I am worried will medical coding too be forced onto the doctors ...

Nuance Taking Over And I Was Forced To Change My Schedule
Sep 22, 2012

So, I used to work Monday through Friday, which is what I was hired for.  Fast forward to Nuance taking over and I was forced to change my schedule to include a weekend day, and this is the 4th weekend in a row, there is no work. Makes sense, huh? ...

Independent Contractor Forced To Work Holidays
Nov 06, 2012

As an independent contractor, can the company I am doing work legally make me work holidays? ...

Why Bad EMRs Are Forced On Physicians By Edwin Leap, MD
Aug 11, 2014

from KevinMD website "I recently did a tally.  Since starting my locums adventure last year, and going to full-time locums in January, I’ve worked in a grand total of 11 emergency departments.  Let me qualify that for the occasional visitor to my blog.  I decided to do this for purposes of flexibility, finances and a much needed change of scenery.  Not because I’m a problem physician, or unable to do the work in a “real” job.  I say that to ...

Patient's Sodium Dropped To An S/l "a-dear" Of 115.
Jun 05, 2010

x ...

If We Are Forced To Quit For NJA, Do We Have A Case For "constructive Discharge"?
Aug 06, 2010

This is a followup to the issue of "constructive discharge" that was brought up in a thread on this board back on August 3.  The original poster stated, and I agree after googling and checking out several sites on the topic, that an employee can claim "constructive discharge" if forced to quit because (loosely quoted from more than one site) "...the employer has made working conditions intolerable.  Issues can include...... reduction in ........workload for reasons that are not tied to ...