A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

gonna make a suggestion - Snow Bunny (the original)

Posted: Apr 10, 2013

I want to extend a great big THANK YOU to everybody who has posted on this board, both good and bad.  I never took the negativity personally or to heart.  In fact, I considered it a lesson that I needed to learn with respect to the way this industry has deteriorated. That coupled with my sciatica (only when sitting) convinced me that it was time to move on once and for all, which I have. 

I would like to see others in this industry do the same. The biggest problem for me was finding a job outside of this field, when at least 28 of the last 33 years all I've done is MT. I needed to step back and take a close look at my resume to see what else I could apply for. Three things jumped out at me ... "EMR," (anyone on a platform has this experience) "medical terminology," and "medical records." And that is the direction I took. I went to job boards like Indeed, Careerbuilder, Monster, and SimplyHired and used the above as my search parameters. 

Ladies (and gents, if there are any) ... the jobs are there. I recently completed one 2-week contract and I will be going on 2 interviews in the next 2 weeks, one for a long term contract (they withhold taxes) and the other as an employee. I'm definitely going to land one of them. I'm happy as a clam right now. I'd like others to feel as I do. 

You might have to brush up or get the jump on new skills. One thing in demand is Excel. I paid for access to a website and it's good for a year. The teacher is British and I feel his style of teaching is well done. It would be a way to learn the program, enough to give you some experience (something to do while you're waiting for jobs to drop into your queue). Anyone who is interested in this, let me know by responding to this message and I'll email you privately with the details. --- It's not much, but I'm opening a window for anyone who might be interested. 

Aside from that ... update your resume and start checking the job boards now. You owe it to yourself. 

Suggestion? - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
..."I would like to see others in this industry do the same." Why?

Anyone on a platform does not have EMR experience. If you've never worked on Epic or another EHR outside of transcription, you would know this. A transcription platform is only the tip of the iceberg. "EMR" experience usually applies to someone who is an analyst or someone with experience working in multiple data bases, health informatics comes to mind.

There are many ways to learn Excel. I am self taught using books and on-line tutorials and also took a brick and mortar class. One thing people need to know is that there are several versions of Excel and they are not all the same. Also, an employer may ask in an interview if you know Excel, but you may never use it in your job. In many cases, it is not a deal breaker.

I also moved on to a job where I have the best of both worlds - transcription QA and working in an Epic data base reviewing patient information.

I'm glad you found something that makes you happy. But guess what, not everyone needs or wants to "feel as you do." Feelings are feelings, some good, some bad and no one needs to project theirs on you. Let people make their own choices, just as you have made yours.

here's the way I see it - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
First, thank you for pointing out that I did not fully understand what EMR was.

That said ...

My intent was not to project my feeling onto anyone. But remaining in an industry that used to be enjoyable and now is making so many people totally miserable makes no sense. Why would anyone CHOOSE to remain in a job that makes them so unhappy when they don't have to be. They CAN get out ... why aren't they?

I'm open to your explanation.

Explanation - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Because many people who do MT are in their late 50s or early 60s and truthfully it is not easy to start over in another career at that age. When I retire or my current full time benefited job ends, whichever comes first, I probably will continue MT work part-time to supplement my income because it is what I know and where my skill set lies. I know Excel and I know coding, and while they have expanded my knowledge base, I'm still using what I learned from all my years in MT every day. You mentioned doing contract work. That may be great for you, but that does not work for a lot of people. Many MTs enjoy doing what they know (and love). Not everyone is miserable and living on the street, contrary to what you may read here. Moving into another job (that probably will not pay more, if it is an office job) does not guarantee happiness. Many people can't get out of MT, even if they wanted to, for health reasons or other personal reasons. In addition, you are probably being taken to the cleaners on your Excel course, there is no need to pay for one. There are a number of free on line tutorials, and a person can train themselves doing their own spreadsheets at home (monthly budget, etc.). Many local Work Source and Skill Source centers offer those classes (as well as other classes in office and computer skills) free of charge. That is my explanation, since you asked. I was rather put off by your "do this and you will be happy like me" message. Give people some credit for knowing what works best for them, that is all.
Good response - Snow Bunny (the original)
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your well worded response, but allow me to address just a few points. [1] I'll be 60 at the end of the year, and I believe that works for rather than against me. A company won't have to be concerned that I'll party out all night and call in sick the next day, or that I'll need maternity leave, or even that I'll have to take care of my kids. [2] With respect to health reasons ... I certainly have them. I've 3 bulging disks, foraminal stenosis, and a posterior annular tear in my back which equals sciatica. The "toothache" in my left hip starts within 1/2 hour of sitting down (I take 2 Tramadol with 1 Lortab to get some level of relief). I've also got bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome and cubital tunnel syndrome on the right. Arthritis in both knees and upper spine. --- Shall I go on? Hey, life sucks sometimes, but at least I'm still breathing. [3] The Excel course cost me $9.99 for a year, with access to the website as many times as I want. Got the book to go along with the course, and I think that cost another $19.99.

Now ... my intention was never to convey "do this and you'll be happy like me." It was more along the lines of ... "If you're so miserable being overweight, why do you continue to eat junk food and sweets?"
Response - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, you could probably access the same on-line Excel tutorials for free, but to each their own. Sorry for your health issues. Let us know when you find a permanent, full-time positions that is not a temp or contract job, I am not willing to settle for less. Moving into QA after MT was perfect for me and I have learned that what we do does matter, and yes, facilities need us (as well as coders) if they want to get paid. I personally don't think MT is over, sometimes things need to come full circle. I'm already seeing other QA jobs opening up and think that's a great way to put one's knowledge to use, and it does not necessarily mean working for Nuance or M-Modal where you'll be hated by everyone (or so it seems). I'm happy doing what I'm doing. I'm also almost 60 and just plan to hang tough and wait it out. I've been on a lot of job interviews, and my experience has not been that my age works in my favor but perhaps it's different for temps/contract workers where insurance and benefits don't come into play. Unfortunately, for many the issue is a little more complex than taking an Excel class but I know you are trying to help. Good luck, I hope you land your dream job.
Explanation - OldMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow, what an explanation. I read the original post by Snow Bunny and was very encouraged, wrote down the Simply Hired, etc. websites and will be looking into those possibilities right away. Your explanation just seems defensive and somewhat annoyed, like Sunny Bunny is trying to tell you and others what to do-which I didn't pick up on. I'm 58 years old, have been an MT/Health Records Tech for 23 years, after completing a 2-year accredited college course. I've been struggling to keep a job for the past 4 years. The longest position in those 4 years lasted for a year and a half, others days, weeks, moths. The companies are either bought up and the work shipped to India or the companies are totally corrupt. I have been through 3 Federal DOL investigations, one IRS SS-8 determination, and now some wild investigation into an company in India illegally working a government contract--all for 4/8 cpl--that's insanity. My heart goes out to the newbies thinking they have a chance. Personally I find your posts missing the original point--THERE ARE OTHER CHOICES OUT THERE!
Of course there are other choices - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
My experience in MT has obviously been different from yours. Taking an Excel class was not the answer for me and I had to look at my assets and liabilities to decide what I could do with my skills and the time I have left in my working life. I still don't understand why Snow Bunny wants everyone to be "happy like her." As I said before, changing jobs is not a guarantee of happiness. I've been fortunate to be able to dodge the MTSO bullet and never worked for one, but if I had your experience I'd probably feel the same. People seem to want to work at home, that limits their possibilities considerably. A person does what a person has to do.

Here's how I see it. This is work for those comfy - with a low income totally inappropriate

[ In Reply To ..]
to the excellent written language skills, training and (increasingly) hard work it takes to be good at it. In other words, a sucker's choice, a loser's choice, with only a few exceptions.

I'm one of the many older people living in a rural area with few jobs available, and with health issues that make retraining for a whole new line of work seem inadvisable, who are trying to carry on to the end--or I would, OF COURSE, have been gone long ago. I'm not humble, even with sensible reasons I'm ashamed of cooperating in my own exploitation, I regret enabling the victimization of others by my participation, and, above all, I am accustomed to providing myself with a much better lifestyle.

Snowbunny (the original), congrats. And thanks for the message. One never knows when even one person will be inspired to make a change for the better.

I don't know if this would help, but - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
If health issues do not interfere with studying, and you can afford it (even with assistance) perhaps you could learn coding. I've seen so many ads from companies looking for home-based coders, and I think they pay quite well.

Aside from that ... once I am totally out of this industry, I think I'll make direct contact with the IRS and talk to them about this entire VR situation. Can companies LEGALLY pay the VR rate if so much of it has to be retyped. Whatever they say I'll post here.
It would be wonderful for this can of worms to be opened - up. We are free to go "find another
[ In Reply To ..]
job," of course, but the same realities that obtain at our company are seen at most.

I have a serious progressive diagnosis, Snow Bunny, and staying serene is a big part of keeping it at bay. So I do. Mostly. :) I actually think I would really enjoy coding, though--the ICD type, much more brain work--and if I were confident I could move fairly smoothly into a job I'd pull money out of retirement and sign up for classes tonight.
In all honesty - Snow Bunny (the original)
[ In Reply To ..]
With today's employment market, I don't know if anyone can move smoothly into a job. A friend of mine has an excellent resume, but she's having a difficult time finding a position.

If you won't take offense at a suggestion, for now just go to job web sites and type "coding at home" in the search criteria. And then make a note of the qualifications and skills required for all different companies. Do this for about 3 months. Also, contact some agencies which specialize in placing people in the health industry and talk to them. See if they can offer some advice. I think if you do 3 months of "research" you will have a better insight into whether or not it might be worth tapping into your retirement fund.
One can't get a "coding at home" position without on-site experience first. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It's not like MT that way. And even getting one's first on-site job in coding now without experience is incredibly difficult. Just check out the Coding/Medical Billing Board here for anecdotal info about that.

Snow Bunny, thank you! - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I just wanted to thank you for this great post. Although I am going into law, I found your post to be tremendously interesting and encouraging. And yes, there are guys as well as gals in the MT field. I am sure I speak for other guys as well when I say I want to see MT in my rearview mirror! Congratulations to you, and good luck.

and congrats to your venture into law - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
Attention ... attention everyone ... Nick will be ready to take your legal questions now. (gr&d)

Similar Messages:

Probably Not Gonna Make Any Friends With This One, But...
Aug 26, 2011

I'm seeing a lot of these, “I hate my job” threads lately. To be fair, it's mostly aimed at Medquist, and other similar entities, but still.  Gotta keep your chins up guys. As a student, I find these kinds of threads very disheartening. In the very near future I'll be joining the ranks, and I won't lie; I would be tickled pink to be making minimum wage, or any wage whatsoever. A hundred dollars a week would be great for me. Obviously that's not ideal, b ...

May I Make A Suggestion To Younger Folks
Nov 12, 2013

Here's one that I wish someone had recommended to me back when I was pursuing my bachelor's degree:  Take ROTC.  Seriously.  When you graduate with that experience on your resume, prepared to be a military officer, you won't regret it.   Here's another one I wish I had considered when I was younger, which may still be available to me even at my age:  Library Science.  sounds boring right? When I was in school I'm sure I thought, "I don ...

Tell Ya What I'm Gonna Do! Sm
Dec 18, 2014

As SOON as I quit, which will be very soon, I will be happy to post any emails and replies that I get from Nuance.  I sent my TSM an email about my pay and was basically told to take it up with payroll, so I did.  I'm still waiting for an answer or non-answer from them.  I won't hold my breath though, I don't really look good blue.  I will also go so far as to post the pay tier that was on my last timecard.  Beware the copier and paster Nuance!  Bewar ...

Gonna Try Something New Here
May 17, 2015

The next time I get an error for something that VR should definitely know simply by having "learned" after 5 years of MTs "teaching it" by changing it to the correct term, I am going to request a reversal and fight it to get removed from me when VR consistently gets it wrong and DOES NOT LEARN. Why should I get the error which affects my pay when their program can't get it right after 5000 corrections? Similarly, recently I got a major error because the doctor on my 5th account (not my pri ...

So What's Gonna Happen To All The MME's?
Mar 03, 2010

Has anyone heard, been given notice, going back to MT'ing?? ...

Somebody's Gonna Need A Bail Out.
Sep 02, 2010

Is GE trying to sell this off?  Not sure what this means.  Got it from here:  http://www.iddmagazine.com/news/ge-200m-term-loan-medquist-210101-1.html   GE Shops $200M Term Loan for MedQuist By Richard Kellerhals, Leveraged Finance News August 23, 2010 GE Capital has begun shopping a $200 million term loan for MedQuist, a Mount Laurel, N.J., medical technologies company. Price talk on the term loan is at Libor plus 550 bps, with a 1.75% Libor floor. MedQuist plans to ...

OK Im Gonna Take One For The Team Here
Mar 13, 2012

I looked up Vern Davenport in our illustrious email system and it came back as Roger? I forget now,,definitely not Vern..Its time for an email,,,if I lose my job so what, I wont be near as frustrated as I am,,less stress has to be better.. ...

How're They Gonna Wiggle Out Of This One?
Jul 22, 2012

Block & Leviton LLP, a Boston-based law firm representing investors nationwide, is investigating possible breaches of fiduciary duties by the Board of Directors of M*Modal Inc. ("M*Modal" or the "Company") (NASDAQ: MODL) concerning its announced merger with One Equity Partners V, L.P.  JPMorgan Chase & Co. : Block & Leviton LLP Investigates M*Modal Inc. for Possible Breaches of Fiduciary Duties in Connection with Its Proposed Merger with One Equity Partners V, L.P., the ...

If You're Gonna LECTURE US....
May 05, 2015

about petty, reidiculousness such as Addendums and such, and about being "up to date" on all information, please, please, please have your own STUFF together first.  Your instructions you sent to us state "Medquist" rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I call for CRITICAL ERROR, tsk tsk on you "MModal!" I think I will print that email out for my future unemployment file. Pfft.... ...

Oh Man Already Starting, Gonna Be One Of Those Days
Mar 25, 2012

Started out ready to hit the keyboard running..Trying a new positive attitude..And then you get the dictator from hell...I hate this job ...

It's Gonna Be A Long Day Folks
Nov 23, 2012

nm ...

If I See One More Quality Update Im Gonna Scream
May 18, 2014

I am so freaking sick of this crap..Suspend the coder program because there is too much work? What did you do to make everyone leave should be your first question.. I can give you the answer 99.7% accuracy and daily constant threats of audits. This gets really really old. ...

Gonna Wait 2 Wk & Figure It Backwards
Dec 05, 2014

I saw the video, read the information, went to the meeting. Decided it's not worth stressing at this point, what can I do about it? But for the next 2 weeks I'm going to do the best job I can, as usual, and be a little more careful with my webclock punches.  Then I'm going to use the old plan to track my lines as usual, apply any shift differentials as usual, and calculate my total gross pay as usual. Then when the 26th paycheck comes, I'll look at the gross pay and see ...

Am I Gonna Have A Big Reduction In Pay When My 45 Days Training Is Up? Read On
Jul 13, 2010

I just can't get going fast on these terrible accounts.  I was doing 200 lph ST at my old job and nearly 400 lph VR (on EditScript) and I don't think I will EVER get this fast at MedQuist.  I am really worried that in 2 weeks I will drop down low enough that I either won't get benefits or they will fire me or I will be making minimum wage.    Worried...   Rachel ...

Regarding Transcend: Ooooh This Is Gonna Really Tick People Off!
Aug 14, 2010

Just want to let you know that Transcend has over 2000 employees and for every one of you DISGRUNTLED MTs who regularly post negative, nasty comments about Transcend on this board, there are at least 10 working here who are very happy with employment at Transcend. Get over yourselves people. You will NEVER find a company that has everything you want. You will always find a company that has an issue that you don't agree with or don't like ....get over it....There is not a single softwar ...

Suggestion
Apr 12, 2010

The MTSOs DO come this board --I was termiated today as an IC and  employer mentioned  piosts here  -- I have NEVER posted company name on here and to those before  -do not send a referance to RE: someone posted on your company  -- I may have posted but made it VERY cllear, we are NOT hiiring for the future, read and learn ...

Just A Suggestion
Nov 22, 2010

I want to make a suggestion to the MTs out there who are looking for work.  Rather than possibly posting on the Jobs Wanted board, post your resume on the Resume Bank.  I received a call a week ago Saturday from a company looking for MTs -- they have not posted openings here on MT Stars or on the other board, but they are looking.  I know this because I spoke today with the person that hired me.  He (as the company rep, mentioned that when he goes to the Resume Board), there ...

Suggestion IM
Jan 04, 2012

It would be great if we could post comments and get responses back via Instant Message.  I just recently started using the word board, but I don't think that is available.  If it is, please let me know.  That would be wonderful!!   ...

Suggestion Please
Apr 12, 2012

Anyone have a suggestion of a shortcut for L5-S1, L3-L4, C numbers and T numbers? Have a tough time typing letters and getting the hyphen in and I have to think too hard and get out of my rhythm trying to do these levels for some reason. I use autocorrect. Thanks ...

Suggestion For A New Board
Jul 12, 2011

How about a new board for living frugally in these times? It seems like it would be very popular and helpful to all of us. ...

TransTech Suggestion
Jul 19, 2011

How about this? For holiday coverage, why not schedule 4-hour shifts instead of 8-hour shifts with hardly anything to do? For example, why not have some MTs commit to the following shifts: 7am-11am 11am-3pm 3pm-7pm 7pm-11pm 11pm-3am 3am-4am I think the MTs would like that idea. They could spend time with family/friends on the holidays without being on call and having to check their queue every 15 minutes or so for some work. They commit and work for 4 hours and are done. I've worked ...

Here's A Suggestion For Those Wanting To Know
Jan 08, 2013

Cheap, cheap, cheap. You should pay your peeps. You could tell the clients NTS cannot keep up with work because people are jumping ship like rats from a hot fire. Perhaps management (upper, way upper I mean) could explain instead of the TLs having to do it, that they needed so much money to take to the bank they had to cut the pay of all their employees, now they have green, not as speedy, uninitiated MTs doing the work. Most of the good ones have fled the scene. And here's another rant: ...

Recommendation/Suggestion
Apr 16, 2013

Everyone should make a habit of getting a letter of reference from CURRENT employers even before you are actually looking for another job.  All you have to say is that you are updating your resume and want to be sure you have current letters of reference attached as well.  It doesn't matter if you are working as an "employee", if they are happy with you and with your work, they should have no problem giving this to you.  If you are an "IC", it should be even easier since you ...

MT Pay Solution, Maybe..just A Suggestion
Jun 20, 2013

This is how we got paid at a major department store when I was a hairdresser: Guaranteed minimum wage for hours worked. If our production exceeded minimum wage we were paid a percentage of that production on top of the minimum wage, usually 40%. I would love to have MTs guaranteed at least a minimum wage for hours worked (or waiting to work) and anything we produce that exceeds that wage should be paid at the customary cpl.  This would encourage higher production, benefitting th ...

Just A Helpful Suggestion ...
Mar 11, 2014

Some of you don't need me to tell you this, but others might benefit from this advice.   Reading through the posts on this coding training, I am seeing some legitimate questions and concerns, but also some that are so off the wall that they are either the product of the world's worst paranoid or someone who is intentionally trying to discourage you. The content and tone is a lot like some of the negativity that gets posted on the coding board every time some one asks about coding ...

A Suggestion For Nuance
Dec 29, 2014

You know that's your aim anyway. That way you can save money on all the middlemen and enforcers, i.e. you can stop making good QA/QC people into inquisitors. If you want to offer a true bonus, just let everyone know they will make 7 c/l, THEN offer incentives, that way at least we know we can expect the base salary and the bonus will truly be a bonus, not a penalty. There are a lot of companies that only pay that 7 cents per line, who have QA staff who are there to actually guide the MT a ...

Autocorrect Suggestion Box?
Jun 19, 2015

Hi, can anyone tell me if Autocorrect has a suggestion box that stays open while you type? I had been using Shorthand for 8 years and then just got a new job where they won't allow us to use anything but Autocorrect. It is their computer, a Thin Client, which does not allow you to upload anything. With Shorthand and Instant Text a suggestion box pops up showing you all the possible shortcuts and I can see in Autocorrect where you can type in your shortcut and the expansion that it repres ...

Speech Wreck Suggestion
Sep 02, 2010

I have tried to explain to manager that the program is slow, and does not seem to ever correct a lot of "normal" dictation, so I have come here to ask a question of you.  I feel that we are not getting enough keystroke count for these jobs.  I have had lengthy jobs with small actual counts because of all the repairing (MEing), and pickiing up of nearby conversations, using markers judiciously as requested.  None of these markers are included in the count that I can see, but they a ...

Suggestion On Numbering Feature?
Sep 07, 2010

Am I doing something wrong?  Are you supposed to edit the list before or after CTRL-Shift L.  I end up having to capitalize all the first letters after I hit enter and it just seems more time consuming.  Also, did anyone notice if you highlight text and hit space bar there is no skip marker- SHH!! ...

Suggestion To Software Developers.
Jun 14, 2013

Won't mention any particular company here, but I am compelled to comment on the quality of the software.  I have never worked with anything this complicated in my entire MT career (25+ years). Demographics are a nightmare.  Database for CCs is......I don't have words to adequately describe the mess.  If I enter information into the *fields* too quickly, the system locks up. If I enter more than one search option, the system locks up. If I use SH, Ex-Text or other ex ...