A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

To answer a question on the IC thread below, someone - sm

Posted: Mar 15, 2010

asked, "I am trying to get a grasp on the IC vs employee thing but I don't understand why a company would want to hire an IC then?"

No one has answered this as of yet.  

Why would a company hire an IC then?  Because they don't have to take out taxes, (including their share of Social Security), and they do not have to provide benefits.   All they have to do is cut the IC a check, and then the IC is responsible for all the taxes, including all of the Social Security taxes, as well as providing for his/her own health insurance if they can afford it, retirement, and any other expenses associated with running the IC's business. 

Now, look around at the few large companies left that offer employee status.  I believe you will see fewer and fewer companies who will offer employee status in the not too distant future because government control will be a headache no one will want or be able to afford.  More and more jobs will be offshored, particularly by the large MTSOs. 

What do we do about it if we are an IC?  For every job posting that requests the IC work a set shift, we respond to the ad stating IRS guidelines and that they are in violation of those guidelines.  Plain and simple.  If they require a set schedule, they should be hiring employees.  Until we do so, they will continue to milk the cow for all she's worth. 

Do not sign a contract until you have a good grasp of what it requires.  If the contract requires you to work a set schedule and removes the flexibility from you to act as an independent contractor, report the violator to the IRS.  Plain and simple. 

If enough ICs would band together, these MTSOs would get the message that they can no longer operate under the radar.

No I get that part but - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
My question was more along the lines of if you don't even specify how many lines a week you will do there is no guarantee of work that you will provide whatsoever right?

So how is a company suppose to staff correctly if it has say 100 IC's that they don't know when or if they will work that week?

I was just thinking that maybe this is why they over hire and some MT's are left sitting without work.

I would like to have the flexibility of an IC position but I do think it is reasonable for the company to write in the contract a minimum line count that I would do a week unless there is advanced notice.

In response - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never signed a contract that didn't have a minimum number of lines I had to transcribe. The MTSO can specify the TAT timeframe, but when I choose to do those lines, and still stay within TAT, is for me to decide as an IC. I determine my work hours, not the MTSO.

What about when they write in a minimum number of line count, but they don't have the workload to support that? Yeah, it happens, trust me. You go with the flow or you terminate the contract within the boundaries of the contract. MTSOs lie to ICs just like they do to employees and overhire to boot.

I have no problem with an MTSO telling me the minimum they expect or asking me when I will be performing my work within a given timeframe. As best as I can, I generally stick with the timeframe I commit to, but if I am unable, I give notice that I cannot. On the other side, I will not accept an unreasonable demand to perform an outrageous line count per day, and believe me, there are those who demand it from a contractor. I would rather have a minimum and then shoot for the stars on any given day than to be expected to produce what an employee cannot produce in a normal 8-hour period.

I read my contracts thoroughly. If I don't like the terms within the contract or the supporting documentation attached to it, I decline the position. There are plenty of ICs who will accept anything, which is a growing problem for those of us who work as ICs and have seen such insulting ads offering 8 cpl. There will never be any change as long as there are those who are willing to accept below minimum wages.

Thank you for your reply In response - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I was just curious about that when it was stated below that a company could not tell an IC what, when, where or how much they could work.

It is food for thought and I appreciate the explanation.

Similar Messages:

Did You See The Thread
May 13, 2015

There's a thread on the Coding board where someone got her first coding job and got a higher salary because of her MT experience. Finally someone recognizes that we have value. It's a shame that it has to be a coding employer instead of an MT employer, but that's the way it is. MTSOs don't appreciate their employers; coding employers do. They demonstrate that by PAYING for services done, not continuous abusive e-mail, IM, and paycuts.   ...

Another QA Question Thread From Below
Dec 15, 2009

I am moving this up to the top because I think it is an important issue.  I am referring to my post below about looking at old reports and seeing the work of another MT at my company.  It was a VR report that was obviously not edited or just skimmed over.  I will look at other reports from this MT, and if I see more than 2 or 3 more with the same problems, I will report it.  As was said below, it is above all an issue of patient safety.  I am concerned about my ...

VR Person From Thread Way Down Below.
Jan 20, 2010

When a company decides to make an account VR, are all the reports a mess to begin with for weeks or months until the voice engine (sorry if that's the wrong term) learns from the "straight" transcription that is done?  Why do different platforms matter (i.e., E-scription versus M-Modal, etc).  Is it possible for a company to get an account and make it VR from day 1, or do they have MTs do regular transcription on it for awhile? I guess I'm just trying to figure outwhat I sho ...

What Happened To Thread?
Jul 19, 2011

I cannot find the long thread that started with Tracy's posting. ...

What Happened To The TAA Thread?
Jan 29, 2013

what happened to the thread where Poorhouse gets to go back to school through the TAA petition? That was valuable information.  Can't imagine why it got deleted. ...

The Long Thread Below
Jun 02, 2013

I am the OP of the long thread below.  In it someone says that MM has high standards and if you can't meet them, it's your problem.  Well, this company does not have high standards.  What it has done is create artificially high and unrealistic standards for the MT only so that they can find as many ways possible to reduce their salaries or terminate them if they so desire.  If they had high standards they would periodically review the dictionary and take out all the ...

Audits And The Thread Below
Dec 04, 2013

I want to repeat this for those who may have missed it and I am not looking for pity.   Was moved to a new account after 4 years on 2 very difficult accounts with only 1 or 2 failed audits (and was always given a second chance).  After 24 hours on the new account and telling them there was one particulary dictator I could not hear because he kept moving away from the phone, they audited me, included reports from that dictator, and immediately put me on 100% QA at which point I finally ...

TTS: IC Questions. I've Read The Thread Below. Nothing To Do With That.
Feb 08, 2010

If you're an IC there, what is the schedule like?  Can you choose it?  Sam, no need to reply.  Thanks. ...

What Happened To The Thread On The V.A. Hospitals?
Mar 12, 2010

There were some postings on V.A. Hospitals here just yesterday.  Why are they gone?  There were comments about companies that had contracts with the V.A.  Why are they missing?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Are our comments being censored?  Need to know. ...

Missing VA Thread With Link
Mar 17, 2010

I saw another thread yesterday discussing VA transcription and someone had posted a couple of links regarding companies who were bidding on upcoming contracts....can't find it now.  Did someone save this or can the OP post again?  Much appreciated.. ...

Not A Single Thread On TTS Today?
May 16, 2010

Maybe Monday the TTS MTs and managers will come to play?   Seriously, how many MTs are employed by TTS?  I never heard of it till lately.   ...

So Depressing, I Have Been Reading The Thread Below (sm)
Mar 12, 2011

regarding line counts, pay, etc.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for over 23 years, have experience in multiple specialties although orthopedics, neurology and cardiology are my favorite, and I barely bring home $600.00 every 2 weeks.  That is with me working 10-12 hours a day, 5 and 6 days a week.  I have been searching high and low for a new company, hating to jump ship, but desperately needing to earn more.  My statement to those earning more than 600-800 a WEEK .. ...

Spaces - What Happened To That Thread? NM
Jul 21, 2011

Did it go viral?  It was about not being paid for spaces. ...

Oh Wow That Whole Big Thread On The Main Board
Jan 30, 2013

Now if we could just get rid of the one below! ...

What Happened To The Thread Originated By The Indian MT? SM
Dec 23, 2010

An MT from India started a thread, and there were a few responses, now the entire thing is gone.  What happened? ...

From Thread Below, Clocking Out For Potty Break?
Jan 20, 2011

I never clock out for breaks.  Am I supposed to?  I am scheduled for 4 hours at a time with a 1-hour break in the middle.  If I clock out for a break, don't I have to make up the time at the end of my shift?  I don't wanna do that.  I take a break whenever I feel like it.  I can't type 4 hours straight.  How does it work for everybody else? ...

What Happened To The Thread About The MT That Sent A Letter To MQ Mgmt?
Sep 27, 2011

It was on here yesterday. She got a typical suit response. Did the Q have it deleted? Wouldn't be surprised. I've noticed a lot of negative posts about different companies vanish from this site. ...

Entire Ks Late Pay Thread Completely Gone.
Nov 20, 2011

I have been a participant of this board for many years. When an enire thread disappears, I realize other boards are more MT friendly.  I will not be back.  ...

On Main Board There Is A Thread Scaring Me
Dec 12, 2011

On the main board there is a message titled "Gotta Vent" and the following replies regarding coding have made me sick to my stomach, especially because a couple people stated seeing their coding departments wiped out by the EMR systems. Could someone shed some light on this?  I am in a coding class now and I am not feeling so hot....but be honest. Thank you!  ...

Enjoy Your Job? (A Positive Thread For Change)
Oct 31, 2012

Just wanted to find out how many of us out there are loving our jobs? Personally, I'm currently in a position to have to choose between the day job that I love as a receptionist in a Fortune 500 company where I live in Colorado, and my night job where I spend about 5 hours an evening transcribing for a great ortho group out in New Jersey through a fantastic transcription company in the same state called DocuMed, and I can't decide which to keep!  I've been with both for abou ...

Thread About Accredited Colleges/Schools - School Loans - And Oppressive Debt Resulting From Them -
Jan 07, 2012

There's an interesting thread on the New MT board about accredited schools, school loans, and oppressive debt students are facing. I did a search today and there are dozens of articles talking about how students are thousands of dollars in debt for student loans when the education they got was so poor that they can't find a job at all. Others can find a job, but it will take 20-30 years for them to pay back the student loans.  They went to those schools because they got pressured ...

Can't Get An Answer From My CCM....
Sep 01, 2010

I've asked numerous times; all get ignored.  I have asked what happens if I can't get my hours in (I'm FT) in any given week (s).....Will I lose my health insurance?  She picks and chooses which emails to answer.  Any FT'ers who regularly find it next to impossible to get their hours in -- did you lose your benefits?  ...

Can Someone Here Answer A
Oct 17, 2013

to someone who has in depth knowledge of the new HIPAA rules and regulations, please respond first and then I will ask my question. thank you. ...

Do You Have An Answer?
Dec 08, 2013

After 50 years as an MT I am now only doing SR from hom ...

OOW, No Answer From TSM
Aug 20, 2014

Ever wonder what is going on with the work?  Lots of it one day, none the next?  You get no answers from anyone on your account?  What are you supposed to do?  I've about had it. ...

New And QA Will Not Answer Any Question For Me.
Sep 10, 2010

I've been working for almost two weeks now for a company and have sent QA several messages concerning questions about appropriate ways they want the reports done as well as dangerous abbreviations (I did not use them at my last job.) I cannot get an answer and it just bugs me badly. ...

If You Are New Or Old For Oracle OTI, Please Answer.
Oct 16, 2010

No one answers my emails when I ask why my accounts have no work. It's been going on for a very long time, but so much worse now.  I thought a new account was going ot start, but I haven't heard a word about it.  Is something going on that I don't know about?  I realize they were going to be switching to more SR and MTs weren't all that happy about it (my own pay will be 1.5 CPL lower and only 4CPL for SR work), but what happened?I absolutely hate coming to a r ...

How Long Does It Take To Get An Answer Sm
Nov 03, 2010

from Qcare.  I haven't been able to log into MQ central or get my e-mail for over 2 days already.  I thought they were supposed to answer in 24 hours?! ...

MQ QA I Need An Answer About Numbering. Sm
Mar 28, 2011

Now Plllleeeeasssse moderator, don't move this to some other forum.  I really do need for a MedQuist QA person to answer this question.... My original blurb was placed on here, and it was moved to the Word Board.  I got answers from others who do NOT use ASR platform of MQs.   I realize BOS2 says the number, and that is what I have been doing for about a year now. Here is the headache that we MQ employees endure. ASR seems to do whatever it wants and does NOT follow rul ...

Ok, Q-berts... Answer Me This
Aug 24, 2011

How come when I had to F11 a job today (first time in 6 months), I was still paid for ASR rate, even though I typed it?   Is this because of all of the people "claiming to do an F11 day," thereby screwing the rest of us???     ...